Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
la_biscuit

Satyr

<div class="bpal" style="background-color:transparent; border: 1px dotted #000033; color: #000099; padding: 5px; width: 90%; align:center;margin:0 auto 0 auto">Unleash the bawdy, unrestrained passion of the satyr! A ferociously masculine scent: sexual, vigorous, and truly wild.</div>

This slightly reminds me of Carceri d'Invenzione , slightly . It definitely has the redness of it going on in it . I agree with others , I think red musk is involved here . However , where it differs in my nose is the sweetness level . Where the Salon scent is dry & woody , Satyr is very sweet & thick smelling . It is also slightly spicy . The thing I don't get from it is sex . It's about the last thing I'd relate it's scent to . I don't know , maybe I'm hung up on sex = leather in my BPAL pickings .

Edited on 22AUG09 . Now that my bottle has aged somewhat , it has knocked down the sweetness some . And I notice a peppery spiciness to it I didn't before . It still has a very RED feel to it , red musk , redwood . Nice but I still don't know if I'd say it = sexy for me . Better wear it to work & see what the ladies I work around think .

And hey , another edit June 2010 . This is really just freaking fantastic now . So much spicy / peppery goodness that I can hardly stand it . The sweetness I used to loath in this is now a wonderful balancing note to the spices . It no longer overwhelms everything :joy:

Edited by CoopieCat

First putting this on it was....MUSK!!!!!!!!!!!! But after about 5 minutes it dried down to a nice vanilla-ish spice, very nice! It's not all that strong after the first few minutes of musk happiness, but it is a nice close skin scent, which is good 'cause I wouldn't want to share this with many people, hehehe.

Oddly sweet and musky, a little feral, almost borderline too much. (Too much what? I'm not exactly sure) It's nice though, if odd. I think I smell some spices too. Very gender neutral. It's a keeper. I like civet when it plays nice!

Patchouli, in imp.. Perhaps also cinnamon…

As soon as this hits skin it morphs like crazy. The patchouli is almost nonexistant, and I think.. Eucalyptus comes out in force. Something numbing to the nose. But there's also something .. Brown smelling. Maybe it's some sort of musk. This is no where near a girly scent. Starts to smell a bit like a barn/pig sty.. Definitely "wild" and satyr-like. Almost headache inducing.. just so strange. Not perfumey at ALL. Definitely some kind of musk.. reviews say civet. It's just too much. UGH. Time to wash off. Haha, after scrubbing this off, there's just residual patchouli smell which isnt so bad. Blah whatever that was though just smelled way too much of pig and eucalyptus. :sick:

Source: eBay frimp from BPTP

In the Imp: Warm, musky, sexy man, mmm...

Wet: Subtle and warm, slightly spicy.

Drydown: As it dries, Satyr becomes spicier. I can see how others compared it to gingerbread, as it has that same warmth to the spiciness. Cinnamon, perhaps, but no burning on my skin, so perhaps not.

Dry: Definitely warm and masculine, though nicely balanced between rough and tumble and snuggly. Satyr does become more musk and patchouli as time wears on, but not overpoweringly, ripping your clothes off kind of manly. It also begins to take one a sweet tinge over the top after five minutes.

Overall: For some reason, I have always been afraid of trying Satyr. I guess it was that I recall people at MNSes saying " Eww, Satyr, civet, gross!" or some such nonsense. But, as it turns out, I really like this (which i guess now is not surprising given how my tastes have evolved in my BPAL journey). I could easily buy a bottle of this and be perfectly happy to frolic with it on a regular basis.

Imp: Sugared cloves and musk.

Wet: There is a bit of a dirt scent under the warmth. It is too masculine for me but I do like it.

Dry: Actually very appealing. I hope it smells like this on Mr. Isis. I'm not getting the dreaded civet other reviewers mention just a warm mix of patchouli and musk.

Actually it smells very similar on him...mmmmmm

I get warm rich amber with musk, perhaps black or red musk or a mixture of the two, light on the red. Something soft and lightly spicy wafts out as it dries down. So light that it cannot offend. I am wondering if this amber-scent I am getting is actually civet? I have no idea what civet actually smells like, my only other relationship with it having been via Debauchery, which was so offensive to my nose that I was stunned by its cruelty.

Satyr reminds me of a manly version of Snake Oil, without vanilla. I can see both men and women wearing this, although it leans more towards men. That said, I think it smells great on me, and this is not my usual kind of scent. It's almost like dark, sun-warmed skin, very earthy and intimate.

Satyr stays quite close to the skin, and is very smooth with no sharp edges. Not a lot of throw.

Verrry sexy. A total surprise blend. I sense the layering possibilities... I should also try this on my boyfriend, just for kicks.

hmmmm... I haven't read all the reviews, but did read a bunch. No one mentioned head shop (that I read)... but that's what this is on me. Unmistakeably at application and hours later - though it has softened a bit. I love masculine-oriented scents but this one doesn't quite do it for me. If it didn't have that association for me, would I like it? Most likely, I have to admit. But it reminds me too much of something else to want to smell like that.

Imp: sweet and heavy dark reds, maybe red patchouli and crushed black cherries, spicy, musk-y like maybe civet, but very heavy and dark

Initial: heady, sexy amped up sexy sexy, dark musk in the rut in the middle of an ancient dark forest, slight spice which may be aged cloves, long throw. Maybe patchouli-cloves-civet? Any light notes really blended and either became undetectable or were just *that* well mixed they becme part of the whole.

After initial: stayed very true to the initial/wet scent and throw. Stayed for hours.

Impressions: I really didn't know how to review this one, it was so unique, I couldn't pick out any actual notes, and it had some very strange properties. One, as soon as I drifted downstairs, my hubby exclaimed "Ohhh smell pretty!!" which type of thing he NEVER says. Two, I feel I must have been a Satyr in a former llife as this one settled so instinctivly around me. Maybe I wore antlers one spring... I did feel like prancing through a forest in search of love... and I certainly felt I had the right to do it, and the musk for it. Three, I got some strange attention in public (all positive, but I can't recall the last time I had guys loudly calling love out to me.. or the last time I laughed it off and wasn't annoyed). Very odd. Very sensual. Very nice.

I really don't like vague descriptions. From the sound of this, I thought it would be strong and gamy.

In the imp and fresh on: Spices! That's not at all what I was expecting, but the overall impression is mostly cinnamon and clove, and something darker but still spicy. It is indeed strong -- this is one to be applied very sparingly.

Drydown: There's something unpleasant in an undernote. Could be civet, or one of the other really strong musks. It's mostly covered by the spices, but pokes thru every so often. I'm not finding the scent as a whole to be especially masculine -- more neutral.

Long-term: The unpleasant note never gets very strong, and after a while it mostly fades away, leaving something I can only describe as "dark spices". Staying power is excellent, still quite present on my wrists after 12 hours.

Bottom line: Not icky, but definitely not me. On the right person, it might be very attractive. I think I'm going to put this one aside; someone I know will be interested, if their skin chemistry works with it.

In the frimp, I'm getting what I'm pretty sure is red musk with a darker sort of note. On my skin, I'm getting what I think is the red musk, with something else... cloves, maybe? ...Nope, that's patchouli, all right. Augh. To the swaps.

Edited by Venneh

In the imp: Medicinal. Cut grass. Odd.

Wet: CLOVE and MUSK. I smell like spicy sex. o.0

Dry: Smoky. Like burning leaves. And spice. Still sexy as heck. And not particularly masculine.

A while later: This one lasts for HOURS. Incense-y, smoky, sexy and earthy. Oddly, there is nothing masculine about this on me. I think I am getting clove, but beyond that - this is an intensely earthy and sexy blend.

LOVE this. I never get that nasty smell from civet that so many mention - it just gives the other notes depth and strength. This is musky, spicy, slightly sweet yum. I would put it in my top 10, but it sinks into my skin and becomes very faint very fast.

This smells like a slightly more masculine version of Sin. That's all! I like it though. Dragon's blood essence in there?

Immediately it smells like fenris wolf, but something spicy, clove or something is in there, maybe even cinnamon. It burns my nose a little bit.

I don't smell civet in this (a good thing).

To me it smells like red musk and cinnamon. Not sure how much I like it yet. I'm still wary that civet might come in any moment and smell like old man pee.

:::SATYR:::

Admittedly, there was much fuss and fanfare that revolved around the arrival of the BPAL order that contained a 5 ml. bottle of Satyr.

Mischieviously, the Lab declined to include specifications as to what was added to this formula to make it the epitome of crazed, gyrating, animalistic masculine sexuality... The ideal counterpart to nymphomania!

The first whiff of an opened bottle of Satyr belied a dark, instinctual, insatiable hunger that blotted out and nullified the need for trivial things like food, water, sleep, and oxygen.

Dang! Patchouli, Vetivert, Civet, Lavender, Amber, Black Walnut, Black Musk,Leather and Orange Peel (best guess).

On the skin, there is a brief, feral outburst of Vanilla and Cedar! Stupendous!

Satyr makes emptying a wineskin down your gullet, crashing naked through the underbrush to scare the bejeezus out of an entire cheerleader camp, and finally performing a vigorous air guitar solo with your naughty bits seem like a reasonable way to pass the afternoon... "Do these twigs make my butt look fat?"

Satyr is an insane, wildman of a fragrance. This is the deviant, bastard, evil twin of Snake Oil.

Satyr has no remorse, sharp teeth and sharper wit.

Satyr took one look at the Prom King and dry humped his leg before sending him home with a Super-Wedgie.

Satyr, to be fair, is also the ripped, crazy-eyed poet with otherworldly ways, an acoustic guitar, and an eerie ability to communicate with animals.Careful boys, this stuff's liquid dynamite! Worn in mixed company you might just... Walk funny.

Satyr is outrageous! Satyr is a shady, slicked-back black & blue.

Satyr is Tom Waits and the Rolling Stones.

Satyr is a distracting bulge.

5/5!

A strong spicy musk. Cinnamon? Definitely smells like cinnamon to me. I think I also get a hint of sassafras. Reminds me of musky redhots. Definitely not for me.

Is this civet? I've never tried civet before; if that's what the strong musk in this is, I really like it. Someone upthread mentioned "masculine Snake Oil," and that's exactly what I get out of this too. My favorite blend is Asp Viper, and Satyr reminds me very much of that blend, only without vanilla and more musky, less foody. The first time I tested this blend, I couldn't keep my nose off my wrist; actually wearing it, it was just as nice, not at all overpowering (sometimes I'll like a blend in a skin test but then dislike actually being surrounded by it). Someone else mentioned it being "borderline too much," and I agree, but it happens to fall just on the side of not being too much, and it settles down some with wear too. It's a spicy blend I can actually wear; those are rare, as I tend to amp spices a whole lot. It reminds me of warm spicy baked goods and hot musk. Very sexual, not too masculine for a woman to wear (although it is a somewhat masculine blend, yes). Yet it's not "foody" to me at all; I guess the musk tempers that effect, which is good, because I am not a foody fan.

This lasts very nicely on me, too. Decent throw and good longevity without ever being overpowering or in your face, as is fitting for a sexy musk blend. This is a keeper and possible bottle for sure.

I want musk.. I love musk! and patchouli.. and earthy bawdy smells.. I would love to get ANY combination of the notes everyone else is getting on their skins.

I get... :ack: CINNAMON and CLOVE :ack: .. OF DOOM! (ok I do like cinnamon and clove, but apparently my body chem amps it to the point of single note madness)

and oh boy, if it were only wet, or at a single stage.. no.. this sucker stays CINNAMON AND CLOVE OF DOOM for at least 2 hours before it deems that it has made a point and lets any other note in.. a gentle subtle musk comes out at least 3 hours into wearing, and it doesn't really assert itself.. stays very close to the skin and then fades to nothing.

This smells a LOT better on DH, although on him it also stays very close to the skin and I didn't have a chance to catch many of the notes.

Satyr

In the bottle- Spicy sweetness

On the skin- Whoa, lots of cinnamon. Cinnamon that PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE. Maybe some cloves. And…. Grapes? Something animal-like in the background…..

A few minutes later- This is waaaaaay sweeter than I’d imagined. It’s so spicy and animalistic and… I think the only word for it is ‘pungent.’ It’s a bit much, honestly. I mean, I LIKE spicy and animalistic. But that sweet cinnamon and animal note are just stomping all over my nose- crashing through the underbrush, as it were.

Much later- A softer musk scent hanging close to the skin. This is going to sound crazy, but fading Satyr smells autumnal. It smells like being hit on by a very virile guy at a harvest fair, near the petting zoo. Maybe with some late grapes fruiting nearby. This is my favorite stage of the scent. It's nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the nose-lashing that comes before.

I never thought I’d meet a perfume that was just too wild for me. But it seems that I have, and that perfume is Satyr. It is, as my mother would say, “all up in your business.” When I wore it around the dorm, my friend told me that I smelled like sex. “In a good way,” she hastened to add.

I can’t bring myself to all-out dislike this perfume and its outrageousness. There’s something charming about it. But MAN is it wild. If I ever decide to take part in an orgy, Satyr is what I’ll be slathered in. Apart from that, I don’t know when I’ll have occasion to wear it. Maybe it will behave better once it’s aged a bit.

I loved my aged imp of satyr. It was spicy and warm and mellow, and just absolutely wonderful.

My fresh bottle on the other hand, was just an explosion of spices. And not the nice sitting in the kitchen on a warm summer day spices, no. This was a slap in the face, jab up the nose king of spice. Cinnamon isn't the overwhelming presence, although it's there. Mine is full of an anise like scent, not sure if it is actually anise of some similar note. After half and hour or so, some of that mellowness came back, but it just didn't have the depth of my imp.

Guess I'll have to return to this in a few months.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's an aging issue, and not just a batch thing.

I tried this fresh from the lab, so I'll try to remember to update this after it's sat for a while!

I don't get any cat pee or barnyard scents in this. In fact, it dries down to remind me of English Leather. It's a nice, warm, musky smell! I'd describe it as a unisex to masculine scent. 4/5

Edit: Tried it again after it had sat for about 2 weeks, and it's completely different. It goes on as a slightly sweet baking spices scent and gains some leather as it dries. It ends up as a powdery leather scent. Really not my thing. 2/5

Edited by Reki

This is a lot less masculine than I expected and really more unisex. Lots of red musk, which I love, with a woodsy and earthy background. While I do consider red musk a more feminine note overall I imagine this one could work on a guy pretty well.

After giving my frimp some time (a few months) this smells damn good. I remember not caring for it when I smelled it fresh, but now? It's like a spiced red musk. The oil has even gotten darker over these past few months. It gets a bit sharper once applied to my skin. The spices definitely come forward, and it reminds me of smelling cloves that are present in pickled foods, like pickled beets. Satyr is so damn warming! What a total surprise.