Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
la_biscuit

Satyr

Unleash the bawdy, unrestrained passion of the satyr! A ferociously masculine scent: sexual, vigorous, and truly wild.

This was a frimp, and a surprise, since aside from a fondness for Iago, I don't think I've ever ordered anything that screams MALE. This does. Hoo boy, does this ever.

Being cautious, I put one small dot onto the back of my hand. Pulse point testing will come later.

Wet: CINNAMON CINNAMON CINNAMON perhaps a hint of clove CINNAMON CINNAMON and maybe a little civet CINNAMON. For the first time, I understand the people who are blown away by cinnamon scents. It was incredibly strong, smelled red, and I kept waiting for my skin to blister. The little bits of clove and musk were almost completely drowned.

Dry: Still cinnamon, now definitely tempered with the clove and...something else. If this is civet, it's not attacking me or anything, just a subtle, musky scent. The best comparison I can make is how a guy smells when you're hugging him and your nose is pressed into the hollow of his throat. :P

In conclusion, I will try and talk the fiance into applying a bit of this. I think he'll like the result.

As I said over in my Spellbound review, Satyr is Downy's April Fresh fabric softner, pretty much to a "T" both in the imp and on me. I've sniffed them both, back and forth and still, can't tell much difference.

It's very strong, almost to the point of headache inducing, but not quite so.

If I'm going to wear this one, I put a tiny dab of it on my shirt the night before I'm going to wear it. Giving it plenty of time to settle down so I can sniff my shirt all day and not get a headache. :P

I must agree that if I did smell this on a man walking by, I'd surely be rubber-neckin' it to see where that gorgeous scent is coming from!!!!

But I don't feel this is necessarily a masculine scent. I love wearing it myself. :D

When I first tried it though, I thought, "sweet!" because I was amping the dragon's blood. Then it was sweet and cinnamon. Then it was vetivert-musk and dragon's blood and cinnamon. Oh yeah, this is a sexy scent! Lots of cinnamon, that is true. But not cinnamon like Big Red Gum. No, this is down and dirty cinnamon. Smells like the Horned God is ready to rut. Actually, it reminds me of the smell I get from the trees in my woods where the deer have rubbed their antlers... Very appropriate for a satyr. One of my absolute favorites.

Well, starting off, I know I am not a fan of civet, but that being said, I took a chance and uncapped this anyhow...

Oooo... Eeep... Uuugh... :D

In the imp this smells to me like really, really bad breath. Seriously, I almost started gagging. However, against all better judgement, and knowing how tricky and shape-shifting these blends can be once applied, I took a deep breath and dabbed verrrrry lightly on a knuckle...

OK, now it smells like bad breath and goat. And kinda like there is a hint of something that someone is using to try to cover that terrible smell up, which just makes it worse somehow. This literally makes my stomach churn... must...wash...off...now. :P

This is the first completely adverse reaction I have had to a BPAL scent with the exception of Nosferatu (which just smelly like moldy dirt and amped incredibly when it hit my skin). I am glad there are others that this one works for...

And like Nosferatu it seems like this just will not wash off... Which will be a plus for the fans of it out there!

This is like a masculine version of Lust to me. The cinnamon note is nice but I think there is some patchulli in there that ruins it for me.

ADDED Aug. 16:

To strong but in a nice way. I think I would really really like this if it wasn't so hot and humid year around where I live. It has a nice cinnamon musky dry down.

Uh... :D :D

Hoooo boy. This is a masculine version of Smut on me. Ergo - this is sex. If this is civet, count me among the few, the proud, the dedicated musk-fanatics who love it. Because Satyr smells like a good time.

If there's amber in here, it's behaving, and unless it turns after time on my skin, this is a winner. Patchouli and filthy musk - how can I NOT adore this one.

If the boy was home, I'd be jumping him immediately. Instead I'll just entertain grown-up thoughts and add this delectable, filthy blend to my bottle list NOW. :P

Oooooh, cinnamon! This is a lovely mellow spice. Why does it have to be masculine? It's simple and not a really hot cinnamon.

There is something very peculiar here. Civet perhaps? It is reminding me vaguely of animal scent markings. I'm guessing something fruity, possibly grape under some sort of musk and likely woods. The effect is sly and wild. It does smell rather like one imagines satyrs to smell only without the goat, though there is a definite animal feel to it. I do think it's interesting and I may even like it, despite something not quite right. I would definitely like it better if as it degrades the fruit didn't strengthen, but we can't have everything.

bottle: clovey musk. this is the last of my husband's bottles, probably my favourite on him.

wet: deep, wet cloves. not as sharp as sniffing the spice directly, more like a pungent cake.

dry: i think i smell other spice notes as well. almost a cinnamon waft... while this lasts for a fair while on me it lasts forever on my husband. and that clovey/spicy note is erally brought to the fore. like many other have noted, this is a very masculine scent.

In the imp: musk like whoa. Creamy, spicy.

Wet on me: Spicy and peppery! This is actually pretty cool. It's fine on the back of my hand but burning my nose a little bit where I touched whilst sniffing too enthusiastically, so I think there is cinnamon or cassia in here. Maybe even black pepper.

After a few minutes: Still cinnamon, nicely balanced between woodsy and spicy. Also red musk (probably other musks as well but red musk is the only kind I can pick out with confidence). It might be a little too woodsy for me.

Drydown: A spicy woodsy fragrance. Definitely evocative of a wild man of the woods. Ultimately I rather like it, though it might be more convincing on the boy than on me. The cinnamon in here is pretty awesome - it's not red-hot cinnamon, more like a fresh cinnamon stick, with a fiery element that smells like a different spice altogether.

Initial Impression: woodsy

On Wet: sandalwood?, cinnamon, amber

On Dry: sandalwood?, hint of cinnamon, really amping amber

Final Impression: very masculine, but I love woodsy scents, so I love this.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 3.5

I tried this out at the last MnS in LA. It brought some interesting revelations.

Civet smells like lilies on my skin.

Satyr dries down to red musk with a lingering odor of flowers.

Lilies. Some people get cat piss, I get lilies. Lollerskates.

This is an imp I'm donating to the cause of Civet Evangelism!

in imp: very bitter musk, red no doubt... something... furniture polish-y? leather & petroleum.

on wet: 12:07 - patchouli comes out, sweetening this... red musk bitterness and leather. This could be good if my skin didn't amp bitter musk like crazy!

drydown: 12:25 - and the red musk amps everything else out of existance. Sometimes I hate my skin chemistry. >_<

12:50 - sweat and faded incense - a very dirty hippy smell. It definitely invokes "dirty old man" - the dangerous, not the playful side of a satyr.

1:00 - less sweat, more patchouli. Still bitter. (Stupid red musk)

1:20 - sweat again, but cleaner now. The smell of a hippy sweat lodge? Not sage but patchouli and musk.

1:30 - about the same - bitter sweat with hints of sweet patchouli. On me, not so pleasant, thanks to the red musk. :P

Funny...

I am going through my stash....making stay or go decisions on my imps, and I splashed Satyr while opening it.

STRONG....and very spicy. But the strange thing is....I'm reading these reviews to get a better idea of what I'm smelling and it seems a bit off....but I actually have another scent on my one arm that is taking alot of the bitter/sharp/tang out of the scent (on me at least).

I tried Burt's Bee's Milk & Honey Body Lotion on my right arm to see how it felt and smelled an hour ago, I spilled my Satyr on my fingers...and when I rubbed it on my arms I didn't bother to rub wrists since they both had it...

The difference is rather big....the lotion seems to help hold on to alot of the warmer notes of the Satyr....while adding a deep slightly sweet note that my other wrist (with just Satyr) doesn't have. It also seems to take away a bit of the nose stinging quality I get while sniffing just the Satyr alone.

I love just tripping over great mixes....I think I'll stick with this one

-Kye

I don't get much in the imp- some lemon. Sweet and cinnamony on my skin. Spicy but subtle. Irritates my skin a little, so sensitive types beware. Not for me, but would rock on others as a romantic scent. It is a love potion after all. :P

Bottle: Maleness

Wet: Dirty sexy man-muskiness!

Drydown: It's spicy and sexy, I'm guessing it's the civet. I don't think I've smelled civet before!

3.0 outta 5

There has been a mistake- someone accidentally mislabeled this imp of Lust as Satyr. Wait, this is what Satyr is supposed to smell like? On me this is 99% Lust with a 1% of something else which makes me want to stay true to my Lust. I don't get any smoky vanilla at all in this, just red musk and cinnamon.

Oddly enough, I do not get cinnamon or clove at all from this. It smells very musky and masculine with a slight peanuty smell to it (smells JUST like Smut did on me!). I normally love musk (especially red), but there is something about this blend and Smut that makes it smell like peanuts to me rofl.

ManSmut. Seriously! There's a note of something that's kind of bright and sharp and a little spicy that's battering my nose every time I sniff my wrist, but behind that it's a slightly...not duller but less supersweet Smut.

The bright/sharp/spicy note seems to be maybe some kind of plant? I can see where people are picking up the similarities with cloves and cinnamon but it's a little more....yellow? than that.

This is an odd one. Not very great on me and I've got no willing boything to test it on so I think this will be going in the swapbox.

I received this scent (a whole bottle!) from a friend who had bad luck with it. The description has always intrigued me, so I was interested in trying it, but the more I read the reviews the more worried I became. It was too sweaty-goat for my male friend, and I'm pretty darn female, so I was worried it would be way too musky.

In the vial: Spicy musk, with just a little too much bite—there's something in there which is almost bitter. It's not unpleasant, but it seems a mite strong. The oil itself is brown and shows up clearly on my skin, which is wonderful for application—as just a little swipe is enough.

On me: The blend sweetens as I wear it, so after the drydown the musk pairs pretty equally with a full sweetness that does remind me a lot of vanilla. It's not cloying, not sugary, but is very well rounded and is almost but not quite foody. The musk (civet?) is almost single note animalistic: it's furry, wild, like sniffing deep on a beast's fur. This reminds me of Ivanushka, not so much in smell but in sensation: Ivanushka is the velvet tan fur of a deer, and Satyr is the dark brown shag of a bear or, well, a satyr—made more wearable by the vanilla, which lightens and rounds the scent.

Verdict: I need never have worried. Satyr is, which my skin chemistry at least, very wearable. The boy loves it on me (although he says it almost smells like something he should eat), and I love that the vanilla sweetness amps on me enough to pair with and balance the musk, which might otherwise be too heavy. I love the furry animalistic feel of it, and on me it's more comfortable than sexy, like cuddling up against a big protective beast, leaning in to his sweet warmth. Will I ever get through the whole bottle? Probably not, because I only need a little swipe of it and 5ml is an awful lot. But I'll be happy to have it, and it will be a great alternative to LE Ivanushka when I want to cuddle with a furry animal—scent-wise, at least.

From the Civet Evangelism sniffing circle (although I'm not sure there's civet in here):

Hate sound like a certain celebutante skank, but...this is hawt.

Satyr was one of the first BPALs I tried, and I remember at the time thinking it was just a wee bit too strong. My nose must be thoroughly broken in, because I'm positively swooning right now. This is Smut with cloves. It's sweet enough to be feminine, but if a man were sitting next to me wearing this right now...well, let's just say I wouldn't be typing.

I want a bottle.

It smells like Snake Oil's hot masculine twin on my husband, all musky vanilla goodness. On me, it's alllllll cinnamon and nothing but, to the point where it was making me itch - not because I was having any kind of reaction to it but because it felt like I SHOULD have been! Not a bit unpleasant but it's, shall we say, a scent for very "specialized" occasions :P

ETA: later in my cycle, right before my period, this smells simply incredible on me. It's what I thought Snake Oil was going to be. Much less cinnamon and much more smokey, musky vanilla. For me it's the perfect warm, seductive scent. Here's hoping it doesn't turn to cat pee at different points in the month.

Edited by ElinaMakropulos

In Vial: Red musk, spicey and sweet

On Skin: More of the same, just stronger. This is masculine as the description says. It smells sweet and sexy. The oil is a very dark burgandy color.

Later: This is sweet but in a dark-fruit-juice sort of way. I am not good with notes and the only one I recognize is the red musk. This smells similar to the dodo only darker, sweeter and richer.

Imp: Sort of generic musky/patchouli scent. I hope it works!

Wet: OHMYGODWHYWHYWHY??? I finally understand civet. I have previously worn Black Annis without much ado because I amp the moss notes so intensely that I didn't know what civet smells like. But it smells like... basically like the part of Black Annis that makes me want to wash it off.

Dry: Don't kid. My skin hated this so much that I had to wash it off with rubbing alcohol.

Throw: It's unfortunate how much throw the ones that just don't work for you have.

Overall: If you can handle civet, go for it. If not, you have been warned.

Update: Mar. 16/09.

My last imp of Satyr has gone the way of the dodo but I received a new one in a swap today and it's... different. I get a dark patchouli/red musk with something spicy and astringent over top. It's not unpleasant in the throw but up close I get a distinct hint of halitosis. It's not nearly as bad as I used to think it was although I must admit that I will never wear it except to simply marvel at it's half delicious/half digusting drydown.

ETA: Hey, how cool is it that I re-reviewed this one exactly one year after my last review. Serendipity five!

Edited by paperrose

Based on other reviews, I don't think this will be up my alley, but I actually think it smells quite good in the imp. Rich and clove-y and spicy. Not so sure about the musk though...

Mmm! Actually this is pretty nice on my skin! The musk isn't overpowering at all! Cinnamon and clove! Yum! Sexy!

This is too masculine for my tastes for me to wear, but I am going to hold onto this imp and try it out on my boyfriend! :P :D :D