Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rocky_Mountain_Home

BPAL blends that remind us of Chanel perfumes

She wears Chanel No. 5

Neo-Tokyo has always reminded me of Chanel No. 5. It isn't a dead ringer, but they have a very similar feel, especially when Neo-Tokyo dries and softens. Of course, now that Neo-Tokyo has been discontinued, that doesn't help you much.

eta: Oooh, I just noticed that Rouge compared Ozymandias to Chanel No. 5 upthread.

Edited by evilmistressoftoast

I used to wear Coco a long time ago and I think it's pretty unique, because I've never come across anything that smells like it. In fact, I've never come across satisfactory dupes for any of my favorite scents from the 80s-early 90s (Poison, Coco and Paloma Picasso).

I've been to a perfumery after work today, and found that I still ADORE Chanel's "Allure" eau-de-parfum. Allure for women has 2 versions, EDT and EDP. the EDT smells like straight alcohol, and the EDP smells creamy, floral and all around luscious. It only costs $175 a pop. :P

To help a little with the notes, this is what their website says: this fragrance is layered into 6 facets, and each can come out more, depending on the person's chemistry.

1 / Fresh : Citron note.

2 / Fruity : Sicilian Mandarin.

3 / Timeless Floral : May Rose, Oriental Jasmine.

4 / Imaginary Floral : Magnolia accord, Honeysuckle accord, Water lily accord.

5 / Woody : Haitian Vetiver.

6 / Oriental : Vanilla from Réunion.

My chemistry gives me a sweet, creamy floral with a real exotic edge which lasts 10 hours into wearing. This perfume won't stop. I don't think I'm getting much of veitver at all, but I do smell the floral notes and the vanilla may be the note that's sweetening it up. Did I mention luxurious? :D

So... any BPAL suggestions?

Helle's Belle is a possibility...

HELL'S BELLE -- Sweet, smoky and sensually wicked. A thick, steamy scent, truly sinister in its voluptuous sexuality. The perfume of a demon's favored consort, or of the devil herself. Oleander with wet, sweet mandarin, lush magnolia, a rush of deep musk and a touch of spice

I've been to a perfumery after work today, and found that I still ADORE Chanel's "Allure" eau-de-parfum. Allure for women has 2 versions, EDT and EDP. the EDT smells like straight alcohol, and the EDP smells creamy, floral and all around luscious. It only costs $175 a pop. :P

To help a little with the notes, this is what their website says: this fragrance is layered into 6 facets, and each can come out more, depending on the person's chemistry.

1 / Fresh : Citron note.

2 / Fruity : Sicilian Mandarin.

3 / Timeless Floral : May Rose, Oriental Jasmine.

4 / Imaginary Floral : Magnolia accord, Honeysuckle accord, Water lily accord.

5 / Woody : Haitian Vetiver.

6 / Oriental : Vanilla from Réunion.

My chemistry gives me a sweet, creamy floral with a real exotic edge which lasts 10 hours into wearing. This perfume won't stop. I don't think I'm getting much of veitver at all, but I do smell the floral notes and the vanilla may be the note that's sweetening it up. Did I mention luxurious? :D

So... any BPAL suggestions?

When you say "sweet, creamy floral" I immediately think of MY signature scent on BPAL, which is Alice. The notes are carnation, rose, bergamot, milk, and honey. The rose gives it a lovely floral heart while the milk and honey make it creamy and sweet. The bergamot makes it citrus-y while the carnation gives it a slight spicy kick. ::snuggles Alice::

So as I sit here making an ever growing list of what I want to order next, I'm very afraid of getting anything that smells like Chanel No. 5. For some reason that perfume smells like chemicals to me. Absolutely nauseating.

I found this on Wikipedia about No. 5. "No. 5 is famous for being the first perfume to heavily rely on synthetic floral aldehydes as a top note. Chanel No. 5 is classified as a floral-aldehyde. Its top notes include ylang ylang, neroli and aldehydes; its mid notes rose and jasmine; and its base notes sandalwood, vetiver and vanilla."

I don't have a problem with the rose, jasmine, sandalwood or vanilla, but I don't know what vetiver is. Could it be the aldehydes I hate? I have no idea what they are though!

Can any perfume wizard help me figure No. 5 out so I can AVOID IT! That stupid perfume smells like formaldehyde.

So I guess my real question is...what are "floral aldehydes" and does BPAL use a lot of them? Are they something that can be avoided? Or am I making it up that I can even smell a difference about them?

-MalJo

(I hope this is in the right spot, I searched and I couldn't find another subject about this! If I'm wrong just slap me silly and I'll move it! I was going to put it in the thread about "What perfume smells like what oil?" but I didn't think it fit.)

Edited by ivyandpeony
title/subtitle tweaked

In general, I would say not to worry about it too much. BPAL perfumes, being oils, use the different notes in different ways than conventional perfumes. My suggestion would be not necessarily to shy away from the notes listed in Chanel No. 5, but rather, to have your first BPAL choices be fairly simple, with maybe no more than three or four listed notes, so you can educate your nose to the various scents. And if you do get a Chanel vibe, you can always swap it! :P

I pretty much agree with oakmoss's advice. I have the same Chanel No. 5 aversion you do. The only BPAL oil I've smelled (and I've smelled hundreds) that gave me that vibe was Ozymandias.

I'm not sure if any recs have been made since it was mentioned in the initial post, but are there any BPALs out there that have a similar feel to Chanel's 'coco mademoiselle'?

Thank you! I placed an order for imps with a lot of orange blossom, because I love it <3. Thank you for the advice, oakmoss and Mountaingrrl. :-)

Mountaingrrl, do you think it's the "floral-aldehydes" that we don't like? That honestly sounds like something in which a frog would be floating in 9th grade biology.

You might want to check out the "similarities to non-bpal perfumes" thread, as I know the question has come up before.

However, I seem to remember that the answer was, "Nothing is able to capture the essence of Chanel no. 5", so I don't think you'll run into any trouble in bpal.

Aldehydes are a naturally occurring chemical component of many essential oils. However, I'm sure that oils containing aldehydes smell nothing like synthetic, isolated aldehydes. BPAL uses no synthetic ingredients, I am sure you'll be able to avoid that quality that you hate about Chanel no. 5.

Vetiver has sort of a grassy and earthy quality. To my nose, it has two parts -- a very sharp, biting, somewhat alcohol-like note, rooted in a dark, almost burnt earthy grass scent.

Oh, I love Chanel No. 5, but I understand it's not for everyone. :P I think Ozymandias is incredibly similar to Chanel, and Antique Lace is like a creamier, softer version of it. You might want to avoid those two.

I think aldehydes are the note that I can sort of feel inside my nose in perfumes like Chanel No. 5, YSL Rive Gauche, and Agent Provocateur. It feels sort of tingly and like the perfume is piercing right inside my nose. It's hard to describe what it actually smells like, except "fancy perfume". I'm not a fan.

From what I've read, it's true that BPAL uses no synthetics (thus far). But I read here a while ago that Beth was experimenting with some synthetic aldehydes in a couple of blends that haven't been released yet. That was supposedly the first time she'd ever created perfumes with synthetics. If they are ever released you'll want to steer clear. Other than that I think you're safe.

If you do find a note that you can't stand in BPAL, it's usually not difficult to find out what it is by reading the Lab notes and the reviews. Then you can avoid it in other blends pretty easily.

I would love to find a BPAL that matches Allure as well. I got a big bottle of the EDP 3 years ago and since then, I've polished off a bottle a year. It lasts forever on me without turning to alcohol and I always get tons of comments from people (and by people, I mean MEN) about how good I smell. It's such a wonderful mix of floral, vanilla, and a little spice, but so, so pricey.

Helle's Belle is a possibility...

HELL'S BELLE -- Sweet, smoky and sensually wicked. A thick, steamy scent, truly sinister in its voluptuous sexuality. The perfume of a demon's favored consort, or of the devil herself. Oleander with wet, sweet mandarin, lush magnolia, a rush of deep musk and a touch of spice

I bought an imp of Hell's Belle because of the similar notes it has with Allure but I found that it smells only like oleander and magnolia on me - very heavy floral.

When you say "sweet, creamy floral" I immediately think of MY signature scent on BPAL, which is Alice. The notes are carnation, rose, bergamot, milk, and honey. The rose gives it a lovely floral heart while the milk and honey make it creamy and sweet. The bergamot makes it citrus-y while the carnation gives it a slight spicy kick. ::snuggles Alice::

I've got Alice on my list for the next set of imps that I'm going to order!

I love Chanel No. 5, and don't like vetiver, so I don't think vetiver is your problem with Chanel No. 5.

To echo another poster, I also love Ozymandias, in part because it reminds me of Chanel No. 5, so you'll want to stay well away from it.

I believe the perfume with synthetic components that ClareN remembers was Toxin. There are a few prototypes in the hands of certain community members, but it has been in the works for at least two years and has not yet been released. I do seem to recall that when the lab put a Toxin prototype on eBay, they included a note in the listing that it specifically contains synthetic compounds.

However, your chances of getting your paws on even a little bit of Toxin are very small (although I am not discouraging you from the Holy Grail hunt if you read the reviews, under Unreleased Scents in the Reviews forum, and decide that it sounds like your thing; however there are many, many fantastic perfumes more readily available).

An aldehyde is a compound of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen which has at its end a carbon atom. This terminal carbon atom, which, like all normal carbon atoms, can form four bonds, uses one of the bonds to connect to the rest of the compound, one to hook to a hydrogen atom, and two to hook to an oxygen atom. The structure that forms is called a carbonyl group. Because that carbonyl group has a greater influence on how the compound would react than almost any other property of the compound (i.e an aldehyde that actually has a carbon chain of four carbon atoms, but has a carbonyl group, would behave more like an aldehyde which has twelve carbon atoms, than it would behave like something with four carbon atoms, but no carbonyl group) the presence of that carbonyl group categorizes all compounds with it into the aldehyde category.

One aldehyde (cinnamaldehyde) is responsible for the smell of cinnamon; glucose is another aldehyde you've probably heard of. As the example with cinnamaldehyde shows, some perfumers use synthetically prepared aldehydes and mix them together to get the necessary scents: to get a perfume that has notes of cinnamon, they put cinnamaldehyde in. However, since Beth uses only natural ingredients, I would think she actually takes some derivative of cinnamon bark itself to put into oils that should smell partly of cinnamon. These oils do contain cinnamaldehyde (they have to) but it is not pure and mixed with a lot of other things. The example with cinnamon is simply what came up in the Wikipedia article.

Hence, floral aldehydes would be synthesized aldehydes that are responsible for the primary scent of some flower.

However, when you smell a natural flower, you are not smelling just the aldehyde; there are a lot of other components in there, and they affect your perception. It is like a cocktail containing vodka smells and tastes and affects you a lot differently than neat vodka, even though that is the primary component. Hence, your reaction to pure floral aldehydes may have been "Ouch, give me the rest of the stuff in the petals, this is way too strong and monotonic straight!"

Hope that helped.

Edited by indicolite

Thanks everyone who responded! I have just always been completely baffled as to why Chanel No 5 makes me want to throw up, for lack of a better description! It's supposed to be such a beautiful perfume! I was at the mall yesterday and put a spritz on myself to see if maybe something had changed...and it hadn't. Blech, chemicals!

It might not be the aldehydes, I just thought it could have been since I didn't know what they were, and probably is just that specific combination of scents just doesn't appeal to me. I'm going to try to stay away from Ozymandias thought, just in case!

Thanks everyone who responded! :-)

No. 5 is the only non-BPAL perfume I will wear--the oils that have given me that "feel" are Nyx (the jasmine and rose--my exact testing note for this oil is "warm, Chanel-like") and La Petite Mort (which has ylang-ylang, another note in No. 5). Of course, I did not get the No. 5 sense from Ozymandias at all, so take what I have to say with that grain of salt!

Hi there,

any recommendations for scents that resembles Chanel Allure,

Floral, fresh oriental. A faceted fragrance that mixes notes of the Orient with abstract flowers.

Includes Bergamot, Mandarin, Water Lily and Magnolia, Jasmine and May Roses, Vetiver and, finally, the velvety sensuality of Vanilla.

Thanks!

Hi Sherrysher,

I haven't smelled Allure myself; can you tell which part of the scent is most dominant on you? Do you get more heady white florals, or citrus, or vanilla? Some possible suggestions:

Desire (Ars Amatoria)

Kubla Khan (Bewitching Brews)

Zephyr (Bewitching Brews)

Euphrosyne (Excolo)

Pepper (Good Omens)

Victoria (Stardust)

The first four you can easily order in imps from the Lab; the Good Omens and Stardust scents you would probably have to track down decants here on the forum.

Hey thanks northatlantic,

I'm not very good with scents, not too sure which is most dominant on me. I'm guessing what is left on me after some time, could be vanilla.

Nevertheless, I'll take note of your recommendations and start hunting ard.