Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rocky_Mountain_Home

BPAL blends that remind us of Chanel perfumes

Black Tower really reminds me of Coco Mademoiselle, but it is a much deeper and more beautiful blend.

I had to bump this old thread because I've been thinking of Chanel perfumes a lot lately. I love Chanel No. 5, Coco, and Coco Mademoiselle. I'd love to find similar smells in BPAL, and though I've tried many of the suggestions upthread, I haven't yet found close enough matches on my skin. Anyone have some new ideas?

Beatrice, you might want to try Liz (from the Hellboy line) for Coco Mlle. and Psych Horror or Diabolical Offspring for No. 5. Chrysanthemum Moon is probably the closest thing I've found to Coco, but it's not a smell-alike -- just perfume-y and heady like Coco.

Oh, and whoever was asking about Allure...I think Sea of Glass is somewhat similar.

I'm looking for a scent that smells similar to Chanel Allure as well, but Chanel Allure for men. My fiancee wears it, and I was interested in picking out some things for him that smell similar. He's so picky about his cologne.

According to a consumer website the notes listed are: Mandarin, Lemon, Peach, Bergamot, Jasmine, Geranium, Rose, Jasmine, Benzoin, Cedar, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Amber

Beatrice, you might want to try Liz (from the Hellboy line) for Coco Mlle. and Psych Horror or Diabolical Offspring for No. 5. Chrysanthemum Moon is probably the closest thing I've found to Coco, but it's not a smell-alike -- just perfume-y and heady like Coco.

Thanks for the recs! I did actually order decants of Psych Horror and Diabolical Offspring for just that reason. Unfortunately neither worked like No. 5 on me. It's amazing how differently scents can develop or smell for/on different people. It never ceases to amaze and interest me! Chrysanthemum Moon was one of my major BPAL disappointments--it always seemed like it should have worked on me. I will definitely look into Liz--thanks again!

It just occurred to me that Vixen might work well for someone who likes Coco (not Coco Mlle). Vixen is not exactly like Coco but it's strong and sexy, and has orange blossom, which I believe Coco has.

Two of my friends have birthdays coming up, and I really want to get them some BPAL oils. One of them likes spicy orientals and vanilla like me, so she shouldn't be a problem.

The other friend is more difficult. The ONLY perfume she wears is Chance by Chanel. She also likes the smell of Frederic Fekkai shampoo, and when I smelled it I got a distinct earthy/woodsy smell. The soap in her house is usually Japanese Cherry Blossom. She's extremely girly, but we often frequent the new age stores and smell the oils there. I think she would like a woodsy or earthy floral, maybe a light floral with a hint of woods or patchouli. I don't ever wear scents like that, so a recommendation would be great.

I looked up Chance's notes, and here's what most of the websites said: Hyacinth and White Musk and Pink Pepper. Middle notes are Fresh Vetiver and Iris and the base notes are Amber and Patchouli. I definitely never got an amber scent when smelling it on her, but the others I may have been able to pick out.

The other friend is more difficult. The ONLY perfume she wears is Chance by Chanel. *snip*

I looked up Chance's notes, and here's what most of the websites said: Hyacinth and White Musk and Pink Pepper. Middle notes are Fresh Vetiver and Iris and the base notes are Amber and Patchouli. I definitely never got an amber scent when smelling it on her, but the others I may have been able to pick out.

Chanel Chance is my SOTD today.. It's definitely not a typically 'me' fragrance, but I LOVE it and would really really like to find something thematically similar from BPAL.. if any of you perfumistas out there can help, I'd be grateful, thank you so much!

The other friend is more difficult. The ONLY perfume she wears is Chance by Chanel. *snip*

Chanel Chance is my SOTD today.. It's definitely not a typically 'me' fragrance, but I LOVE it and would really really like to find something thematically similar from BPAL.. if any of you perfumistas out there can help, I'd be grateful, thank you so much!

You might want to try Hermia from Illyria (it has the pink pepper note that i also find quite distinctive in Chance, and golden amber as a base note). I find it similar, both in "feel" and the actual scent.

Thanks for the recs! I did actually order decants of Psych Horror and Diabolical Offspring for just that reason. Unfortunately neither worked like No. 5 on me. It's amazing how differently scents can develop or smell for/on different people. It never ceases to amaze and interest me! Chrysanthemum Moon was one of my major BPAL disappointments--it always seemed like it should have worked on me. I will definitely look into Liz--thanks again!

See, to me Diabolical Offspring was what Chanel No. 5 should have been, lol. Sophisticated, slightly dark baby powder. I'm eagerly awaiting a partial bottle of it now ...

I may have to pick up a bottle of Liz though. Sounds very good.

bump!

Has anyone tried any of the recs that are similar to Chanel 19 yet? It's one of my favourites, a lovely cool green sunshine with a soft rose base.

On me, Oberon at the tail end of drydown reminds me a lot of Chanel No. 5's ending notes. While fresh, though, Oberon is much more flowery (but also beautiful.)

I love Egoiste! And I'm sort of on the lookout for a bpal scent that is similar. Egoiste has notes of sweet orange, rose and rosewood, vanilla, spice (coriander I think), ambrette seed, and sandalwood. Very lovely orange/sandalwood/rose/vanilla scent, with some spices. Notes vary depending on where you look them up but the rose is not central to the scent....it is a supporting kind of rose.

I have my eye on these, and they all happen to be Yules:

Harlequin and Columbine (from last year)....."French vanilla, red currant, sage, balsam, rosewood, mandarin, lemon peel, pomegranate, and cedar"

Thousands Of Lights....."Indian ambrette seed, beeswax, champaca flower, saffron, Italian bergamot, frankincense, oak bark, and vanilla orchid"

In Brightness And In Joy....."Divine mercy: sweet winter berry, orange blossom, frankincense, golden sandalwood, angel's trumpet, and red rose"

I am not too familiar with the lab's rose scents, just thought I'd put it out there and see what people thought. And I will report back on what I find, too. : )