Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heartbeast

Blue Moon 2004

Blue Moon

... Mugwort and bay, for psychic sensitivity… Juniper, for divination through dreams… Orchid and galbanum, for complexity, wisdom and noscere… with a potent lunar-charged blend of poppy, calamus, orris, wood aloes, moonflower, cucumber, and pale creeping buttercup.

First of all, thank you, Lorajc, for offering this wonderful scent to me.

Blue Moon is clear, clean scent-a breath of fresh air, if you will. The juniper, and, I admit it, I love me some juniper, is so perfect, so biting and refreshing. The cucumber is just barely "visible" to me. In fact, I get so many notes at so many moments that, in a weird way, I almost don't smell it here and there. But, it's an instant crowd pleaser too, Blue Moon is. I wasn't 2 minutes on the floor before 3 people hadn't told me that I smelled good and/or asked what lovely thing I was wearing.

It's such a perfect, light and fresh scent with a cool floral drydown that I almost didn't expect, but certainly love. Ah, lab, you rule.

I got it a couple of weeks ago from Hypothermya (Thank you so much) It's taken me awhile to sit down and write this, because I really wanted to feel out the fragrance before I sat down and wrote my review.

In The Bottle Sweet, sugary, the cucumber comes at you head on. I can't make out anything past this.

Wet A sweet cucumber with a floral pushing through. Somewhat watery. Still very sugary.

Dry Down The sweetness becomes more subtle. The orchid opens and blossoms on my skin. It is floating in a pool of clear water, the watery slant is really coming through in a very lovely way. The cucumber steps out of the spotlight, and the aloeswood gets stronger. This is a very soft and calming scent. It is also dreamy, I find myself quite spacey and my attention wandering. It is a sweet watery floral on me. It smells vaugely familiar but I just can't put my finger on what it reminds me of.

3 Hours Later It has developed a slight musk. The aloeswood maybe? It comes and goes in waves. More like breezes. It is watery and floral, then a candylike quality that isn't sugary, but you could almost eat it. There are pale tranlucent florals shimmering in this. The aquatic note makes it watery and ethereal. Then a subtle, faint spice comes in and rounds out the fragrence. Very alluring in a very indirect way. Innocent, dreamy, and a little playful. It's a lovely girly fragrence. I feel soft and feminine. Feels like the Cocteau Twins...... in all of their unadulterated loveliness.

The best way I can explain the way this oil smells and makes me feel is that it is reminecent of the sparkling crests of ripples on the water surface that shimmer when the moon is full and the city lights are glowing; dancing on the water. The seeming shifting change of tones in the glowing waters is played up by movements of wind and air creating ethereal tonality.

Verdict I really like it. You definetly have to be in the mood for it. It's a lovely soft sweet scent, that dries beautifully on my skin. I am so glad I have it. It's my alltime favorite BPAL oil. When I first tried it I wasn't completely sold. now I would give my left arm for another bottle.

Edited by etherealchild

I got an imp of this as a gift from Red_Hot Mama. :P

First sniff:

It smells very clean, like cucumber and melon and some sort of light forals. I think I can also smell some aloe in here. I don't know what most of the notes in this smell like on their own, but the result is very light and fresh and clean smelling. It smells like springtime to me. :D

Wet on skin:

Cucumber and aloe are the most prominent when this blend is wet. It reminds me of cutting fresh cucumbers in the summertime and although it's not something I have much experience with, I feel like it's bringing back happy memories of childhood regardless of whether or not it really happened. There's just that feeling of calm and contentment that you get when you've got absolutely nothing else you need to be doing and nowhere else you need to be.

Dry down:

Cucumber is still the most prominent note, but there's something vaguely fruity behind it...maybe it's the orchid? I tend to think of orchid as fruity smelling for some reason. There's also a light background of florals that are so well blended with the cucumber and aloe that they don't really stand out as being flowers. This is a really happy smelling scent for me, even though it doesn't have a direct link to any specific happy memories for me. I just feel good wearing it. :D

The bottom line:

I was worried about whether I would like this one with all the floral notes in it, but it's gorgeous - clean and light and fresh smelling. It makes me feel like I'm remembering something wonderful that happened in my past even though I'm not if that makes sense... :D

I really enjoy this one. It seems completely different from anyone I have tried and it is so great smelling.

I have never had an oil with mugwort in it, but as an herb, it tends to smell not so great. In this oil, I really like it. The juniper, cucumber and wood aloe seems to jump out at me when it is first applied. It is rich and alluring.

The shortie I got as a trade I will use, I even shared/swapped part of it with a forum mate. This is meant to be shared, because it is fab.

Please make more oils like this one! :P

This a really beautiful scent... Thank you pk... I love that it is so light and airy... I smell melon, cucumber & aloe. It's sweet and light yet strong. I love it, and I will never miss it, if it comes out again, I will be sure to order 2 bottles.

ETA: typo

Edited by Lorencita

I got this lovely in a swap from allidavie. Seems like a summery fragrance, light and sweet, but flowery too. I don't use it too often because the cap is broken and I'm afraid of breaking it further and not having a cap for it! (it's a 10ml!)

It reminds me a bit of Red Moon, without the red if that makes any sense! :P I smell the herbi-ness and the lunar charged scents described in an amazingly blended bouqet of fresh flowers. Gorgeous scent!

:P

Thanks to Astrid who imped me of Blue Moon!

In the bottle Blue Moon smells yummy enough, but once on it brings out the undertones. Sweetness and gorgeous. Some floral, but nice and sweet like summer berries of some sort.

Wearing this makes me envision walking in the evening as lightning bugs light up the sky around.

As I wear it, Blue Moon sweetens a bit, like Jailbait, sort of showing some sort of similar undertone note. (NOT at all bubblegum scented, don't read that into it... just something beneath it. Darker, nightime type scent)

I really LOVE this one, and agree with people that Frost Moon is quite similar, but with mint added. It's elegant, light yet noticeable. I was sniffing my wrists all day long. =)

Initial Sniff: Cool and aquatic, softly herbal with a hint of cucumber... this changes every time I sniff it. It smells like night wind, but not... Whatever this is, I like it!

Wearing: This feels mystical, wise, peaceful... on my skin it smells just as mutable as it does in the bottle. One moment I smell the cucumber, the next I smell the juniper, the next it is florals. It feels powerful and understated, aquatic and ethereal and down-to-earth, herbal and floral... It really is indescribable.

Final Impressions: This is a masterpiece. Fortunately enough for us, a scent this marvelous DOES come around once in a Blue Moon!

When I first sniffed this one I got whoah juniper! But there are some other scents in there that tone it down a bit. It's a very complex and beautiful oil. I am greatful to have gotten a little bit of it in a swap.

In the bottle this smells like melons to me. (I think it's the cucumber plus some other note that reminds me of melons?) On my skin, the orchid, juniper, and light florals come out. (Do I smell apple blossom? Or is that the "wood aloes"?) This is very light and soft. It's slightly herbal, slightly aquatic, slightly floral. In other words, hard to describe! It's very beautiful, though, and I'll treasure my imp. :P

Note ~ Ultraviolet, who obviously wuvs me, let me share in the spoils of her recent Havisham win on Ebay.

Vial ~ Melon and a strong floral, possibly *ulp* gardenia, with a mint in there somewhere.

Wet ~ Melon! Floral! Mint! Aieee! Not bad, but rather alarming.

Drying ~ Good grief. If I keep typing, I can smell the melon gliding around on what seems to be a lighter floral. Yep, the same if I bring my wrists up for a sniff. The mint has faded for now.

Drydown ~ The wafting has stopped. I have to sniff my wrists directly for mostly melon and a teeny bit of floral. Both this and the drying state are pretty pleasant, actually.

Dry ~ It's fading a little, but I also think that the floral is blending with the melon well, and that the mint is trying to make a teeny bit of a comeback.

Fade ~ Good grief, it's nearly gone. What's left is still mostly melon, though.

Final thoughts ~ I can see why someone thought I'd like this. If Elizabeth makes this blend again I may well order a bottle. I'll have to try it a few more times over the next month to be sure, though.

In the bottle

Melony sweet freshness

On

It's the most beautiful scent. It's a scent that surprises you initially. Is it minty? Is it melony, floral? Not at all what I expected but glorious all the same. I'm so in love with it. It's a floral scent so it's odd that I love it right from the get go like this. But it's so ethereally beautiful, It smells like light spring flowers actually with maybe a teeny bit of melon (from the cucumber) in the background. It gets sweeter as it dries. I can smell the mugwort too which is good. I used to work with mugwort and often I'd just reach in grab a bunch and sniff it. :P

Jeez, this was so worth what I paid for it.

The Blue Moon is one of her rarest manifestations, and this scent is formulated to encapsulate her most complex and profound nature.

Yes indeed. This blend encapsulates this statement. This is very much a moon blend; Feminine, mystical, the essence of Yin energy.

30 minutes

It does get sweeter as it dries but the freshness of the cucumber and the herbiness of the mugwort, bay and juniper keeps it from being too sweet and is actually a different but wonderful combination.

Throw:

Alot of wonderful throw.

Scent category:

Floral/Water blend

Summary

It's a medium to medium/strong fresh floral, watery scent.

It's complex, full bodied, full of charged goodness, long lasting, and beautiful. What else could I ask for?

Purchase again?

Uh Yeah. Ebay, swaps, hostage taking, whatever it takes.

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

Edited by UltraViolet

Bless you, blackrayne, for the decant!

First sniff: Hmm. Interesting. Blue Moon is soft and watery – there’s a hint of mint, and I’m pretty sure I smell the cucumber, but overall it’s hard to get an impression.

Wearing: This is really beautiful on me. It’s light, airy, floaty… all the notes have blended together so I can’t pick out any of them. So very pretty.

Blue Moon

In the imp: mmm, interesting. A fresh, slightly sweet, tart, tangy, bright scent reminiscent of cologne.

Wet on skin: this gets sharper, but is still pleasant. This scent is complex-I can make out cucumber in this, and juniper too, and possibly bay which gives it a herbal scent, there's also a bit of sweet floral in there. So complex and mixed!

Dry on skin: quite nice! It's similar to some kind of cologne, it reminds me of a perfume I've smelt before, and yet it's so unusual. It's fresh, quite sharp and tangy, quite unique. There are green elements here, and cool notes, a hint of herbs and florals like orchid.

After a while: the cucumber and the florals get stronger…the floral note here is soft, perfumey and slightly powdery, but is prevented from becoming very powdery by the watery cucumber and the tangy notes in the blend. that cool cucumber-moonflower smell does feel like a cool breath of dewy night air...

Verdict: like all the lunar blends, this one is full of intriguing complexity. I don't recognise many other the notes in the description, but I can smell some of the notes I do know about, such as cucumber, juniper and bay, and possibly moonflower and orchid. This blend is unique and unusual, filled with a variety of different notes-some fresh and watery, some sharp and tangy and bright like cologne, some soft and floral, and some are green and herbal. It's an enigmatic, yet fresh and bright blend. A magical fragrance.

Blue Moon - finally got an imp during a swap with chopchica. yay!

In the bottle: I'm not getting any straight notes, but it reminds me of Frost Moon, a lunacy oil I love. Watery, lightly floral, a tiny bit of sweet fruit.

On me/wet: This is fabulous. I think I smell cucumber, and I'm getting a distinct aquatic note. The flowers are hiding in the background right now, but there is a sweet, slightly herbal feel to this one.

Drydown: This is the sweetest of all the lunar oils I've tried. Now I get fleeting glimpses of berries, a tiny tang of something minty, unidentifiable (but lovely) florals, and the watery, cucumbery note.

This is a really gorgeous blend, and I'll treasure my imp. :P

First waft: Very pretty. Very, very sweet. Definitely a "girl" scent.

First on: CHEMICAL SHIFT!! From almost too sweet to almost bitter in the swipe of a scent. Pretty sharp, but with a clean tone hovering nearby.

At one hour: Wow. Talk about a transformation. Now very faint, very delicate. In this stage it's something that a princess would be wearing as she sat looking all prim and proper and regal. Somehow Beth has learned what womanly innocence smells like, mixed it with a dash of regalness and wisdom, thrown in some purity for good measure (and probably gently stirred it all with the feather from an angel) and bottled it, calling the blend "Blue Moon".

At two hours: All but gone, and yet everytime I think it is gone I get a whiff of it. It's still very delicate, still very... pristine... and elusive.

Verdict: I like it. The Mister likes it. The Little Miss likes it (she likes everything but Kabuki LOL). This is the one I would reach for when I had to dress up and be the Lady of the Manor, when diplomacy and regalness are demanded and being the perfect Lady is a necessity. Not a head-over-heels-be-still-my-heart favorite, but certainly one I'd like to get a little more of.

Crisp, and herbal,with a definite cucumber note :D

Not for everyday but for special occasions I would reach for this. Although it is lovely it is not my favorite LUNACY yet, course I have yet to try all of them. If I had a chance to get some more of this, I would. :P

Thanks, t3andcrumpets for allowing me the opportunity to experience this lovely blend :D

Hands-down, one of my favorite BPAL blends of all time. I never would've thought I'd like cucumber so much, but my god, I so do. Blue Moon is light, watery, and herbal, a perfect cooling blend in the sticky heat of summer. This holds a permanent spot in my top ten.

I'm the nutter who bought Anmorata's full set of lunacy decants as a Buy It Now, so you can expect a range of Lunacy reviews coming up from me...:P

I have just a tiny little bit of this oil, but I am so glad to have the opportunity to try it, because I would never have hunted it down on its own, and it is abcolutely beautiful.

I am not even going to try to identify specific notes, because there is no way that I could do it justice, but this is probably the most "perfumey" scent you will ever smell me wear, and wear it I will.

It is so absolutely perfect for a summer evening...light and breezy and so warm and watery...I could just swim in this for hours. I wich I could ahve gotten a bottle of this. But, as it is, while I love it, I am not so in love with it wo be crushed that I can only have this little sliver of it, and I feel lucky to have gotten to try it. :D

Bottle (Imp): Oooh so smooooooth. A bit creamy, smooth, not really sweet per se.

Just On: Creamy, blended with the lunar oils that have become familiar through trying all of the lunacies out. Very beautiful scent.

An hour or two later: Not as creamy, more of the smooth lunar oils come forth. It's still gorgeous, but the biggest thrill is just getting to try this. I'll probably buy when the next blue moon comes around.

Around 6 hours: The lunar oils are much more prominent now, but it's fading as I type.

12 hours: Blue Moon has left the building.

Overall: I like this quite a bit. I have to admit though, Milk Moon and Chaste Moon are higher on my list than Blue. Still, I wouldn't complain if this comes back on the next Blue Moon.

After reading other reviews: This was the last one I *needed* to obtain to have tried all the lunacy oils. I'm glad I got it, and I like it. All the different notes mix so well. No soapiness, the cucumber doesn't take over, it just all mixes together in a wonderful way. I'm going to treasure my little half imp, because it was a gift, and it means a lot to me.

I actually have the day off from work...and I am so very happy that I now can carve out a bit of *me time* to do a review of Blue Moon.

I actually acquired Blue Moon earlier this year...through my hunting and scouring on Ebay I was lucky enough to win a 5ml bottle. I came to BPAL this year and was terribly obsessed regarding the lunar oils..specifically Blue Moon..because well..I am a lunar child and June is my birth month..so I HAD to find a way to try Blue Moon. Luckily for me..I emerged victorious. :P

I waited till July to try Blue Moon..as I have so many fragrances..and I have been wearing her for over a week. I really am grateful to have the opportunity to experience Blue Moon...thank you in advance Beth and Lab for giving all of us your wonderful perfume oils.

I have always liked cucumber as a component in my fragrance along with wood aloe..so I figured I have nothing to lose.

Initial sniff from bottle: I smell the *traditional lunar oil* scent that is signature with all the lunar blends..it is very much softened..I am pretty sure the soft mint-like waft I am getting in there is part of the *lunar oil* melange..so all in all it is at first and few more whiffs the lunar oils softly permeating from the bottle. If there is any of th mugwort, bay, or juniper, I can't identify it..yet.

Applied wet on skin: I still smell the lunar oils..but they are beautifully combined with what I think I am smelling is the bay and I think the orchid. There is a floral here that smells wonderful so I have to assume it is the orchid. Funny..right now I am NOT getting the berry/cucumber/melon notes that I usually can pick up easily...hmm maybe my nose isn't up yet??? :D

A couple minutes on skin: Okay..here we are!!! Orchid and cucumber and some sort of melon/berry..YAY!!! :D All of this is blooming on my skin softly but purposefully..with the lunar oil in the background. It is as many have said..a quietly powerful scent. Definitely a *color of moonlight* fragrance...it is to me a truly *magikal* scent.

I really love this. It is perfection. Yes..it's feminine..and has a *watery* feel..but it doesn't translate to me as aquatic..Blue Moon..she is feminine and mysterious...powerful but not loud..she beckons you with secrets...and allure..but still manages to be aloof and a bit chilly at the same time...

I don't do Blue Moon justice..difficult for me to find the right words/phrases...I think other reviewers do a better job than me..

Drying on skin: I get more of the mugwort/bay/juniper on my skin..with the lunar oils still doing the background dance. Orchid and berries/melon have all but exited...but in it's place I am detecting a bit more of the aloe which I think attributed to the *coolness* of the scent along with the lunar oils. If I breathe deeply enough, the berry/melon note comes to me at the back of my throat. Still amazing.

As far as staying power goes, Blue Moon is very elusive on my skin. She stays around for about 2-3 hours and then I am left with only traces of her. I don't mind this ONE BIT..for however long she decides to grace me with her presence, I am honored and grateful..Blue Moon is THAT good.

Drydown Basically the same party that was there when Blue Moon was drying on my skin..but every now and then I get a whiff of berry/melon..talk about fickle!!! :D

Bottom Line: I am definitely besotted with Blue Moon. Defintiely a summer fragrance..but I would go so far as it being a truly *magikal* fragrance..which to me would mean it can be worn anytime of the year..be it icy cold or dog-day hot. I actually would love to wear this in the winter. I love all the lunar oils but this one is truly spectacular. I am so very honored to have the opportunity to try and experience the very special Blue Moon. :D

Thank you AGAIN Beth and Lab.

Oh tiny vial of precious moon elixir, how can I bear to use you up? Anointing my temples with Blue Moon last night in the hush of the rising full moon, the delicate scent deepened the hush, added magical intent, sweetened my dreams... This is one I will treasure, drop by drop. (And if any kind soul wants to trade with me for more, well.... please don't hesitate for a moment to message me!)

This is a lovely, ethereal scent. Most BPAL scent seem to be a red, orange, or green color, but this is definitely a blue scent. When I first apply Blue Moon, it's really cool, and I think that's the cucumber lending its coolness. However, this it's slightly sweet, too, but not in an overly floral way. In fact, I didn't think, "Oh! Florals!" when wearing this. This is another one of those scents that is more "commercial," in that it seems to be more wearable than others on me, but it's not something I'd expect to find at the department store. This is what a scent would be if someone could bottle the dancing of the moon on the water's surface.

I think this is something Galadriel would wear.

This is gentle, cool and sweet. The blend is so wonderful that I can't really distinguish one note from another... they just kind of dance and swirl together in absolutely perfect harmony. I'm not quite sure what I'm smelling, but I love it! :P

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Beautiful!

In the imp: Cold, crisp cucumber and something minty!

On skin, wet: Cucumber and mint. It's surprisingly watery, or aquatic without the tang that I usually get from aquatic scents.

On skin, dry: Not much change from the wet stage, save that the mint softens a bit, and BM becomes a bit more flowery, but in a wonderful way.

Conclusion: A very refreshing and bright scent that I'm totally enamoured of.

Edited by Aredhel