Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fatalbellydance

Hunting for the ultimate _____ blend

I'm still on the hunt for the ultimate boy magnet without red musk or patchouli. Now there's a conundrum :P

Pumpkin pie and lavender (hopefully not together :D) supposedly attracts guys. I haven't tried BPAL yet but supposedly Jack is a really pumpkin-y scent?

Are there even specific notes that guys drool over? Besides vanilla and pumpkin?

If I remember correctly, cinnamon. There's a thread with more info here somewhere, but I can't remember what it was called! Sorry. You could probably also find a list via google, if I remember correctly.

Hehe... They seem to be attracted to foody stuff...

There is a saying in German: "Liebe geht durch den Magen." I dont know if there is an english equivalent, is goes somewhat like "Love goes through the stomach." That might be truer than I thought.

Hehe... They seem to be attracted to foody stuff...

There is a saying in German: "Liebe geht durch den Magen." I dont know if there is an english equivalent, is goes somewhat like "Love goes through the stomach." That might be truer than I thought.

There is! "The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach". :P

Edited by dzurlady

I'm looking for the ultimate bergamot. I absolutely adore the way it smells (my Earl Grey is stone cold by the time I get done sniffing and sighing over it :P). Something gender-neutral or masculine-leaning, if possible.

(EDIT: This may be a long shot, but lychee?)

Edited by misoXmikado

I'm looking for the ultimate bergamot. I absolutely adore the way it smells (my Earl Grey is stone cold by the time I get done sniffing and sighing over it :P). Something gender-neutral or masculine-leaning, if possible.

Severin is ten kinds of wonderful for Earl Grey lovers, although it does smell more like cold Earl Grey than warm.

Spanish Moss. If a single note was available, I'd be all over it. (I had a rather disappointing encounter with a review of Hove's 'Spanish Moss' solid perfume. I was thinking it'd be something nice and green/grey mossy... turns out its floral.) :P

I've spent the weekend looking everywhere for a Spanish Moss scent that had that note dominant. (Apart from Bayou/Roux-Ga-Roux, I think I'm going to give up hope.)

Unless by some freak chance someone has a recommendation for me?

Edited by Medici

I have decided that Urd is the Ultimate Headshop scent.

I'll have to try Severin, since I, too, am looking for the ultimate bergamot/ Earl Grey.

I'm also on the lookout for

Ultimate sexy amber

Ultimate everyday jasmine

Ultimate tea

Ultimate tabbacco leaf

Ultimate herbal

Thanks!

I'm still on the hunt for the ultimate boy magnet without red musk or patchouli. Now there's a conundrum :D

Pumpkin pie and lavender (hopefully not together :D) supposedly attracts guys. I haven't tried BPAL yet but supposedly Jack is a really pumpkin-y scent?

And now that I've said that and you guys have been like, "Duh, pumpkin," I am remembering the reaction I got from my intermediate jazz class last year the first time I tried out Pumpkin Queen at school. They were all over me, it was absolutely hilarious!

Memo to self: Pumpkin V the next time I'm hanging out with hot school of music guys... :P

I FINALLY found my ultimate coconut - RED LANTERN!!! It's all the wonderful light juicyness with out any bitter husk or nuttiness. :P

TereFaerie, for an everyday jasmine you should look into Crossroads and The Caterpillar. The Caterpillar is dryer and more herby. Also The Apothecary may work if you like Crossroads.

I have decided that Urd is the Ultimate Headshop scent.

I'll have to try Severin, since I, too, am looking for the ultimate bergamot/ Earl Grey.

I'm also on the lookout for

Ultimate sexy amber

Ultimate everyday jasmine

Ultimate tea

Ultimate tabbacco leaf

Ultimate herbal

Thanks!

Oh! Everyday jasmine! Phantasm! I really dislike jasmine but I absolutely loved Phantasm. Crisp, sweet, and clear, with a jasmine base. Beautiful!

I FINALLY found my ultimate coconut - RED LANTERN!!! It's all the wonderful light juicyness with out any bitter husk or nuttiness. :P

TereFaerie, for an everyday jasmine you should look into Crossroads and The Caterpillar. The Caterpillar is dryer and more herby. Also The Apothecary may work if you like Crossroads.

I DO love The Caterpillar, but it becomes much more woody/incense on me than jasmine. I will have to try Crossroads and I know I want to try The Apothecary, for sure. But now you've got me wanting Red Lantern, I've yet to try a coconut blend. Thanks!

Oh! Everyday jasmine! Phantasm! I really dislike jasmine but I absolutely loved Phantasm. Crisp, sweet, and clear, with a jasmine base. Beautiful!

Thanks, Phantasm is on my list but I decided to go for Namaste in the order I made yesterday. I really want to find a wearable, noncloying, non-powdery jasmine, but my skin seems to amp all the other smells and not the jasmine.

Edited by TereFaerie

There's not a lot of lychee in BPAL blends, but it's very prominent for me in Fire Pig! Due to the number of ingredients in that blend though, YMMV.

Okay, I'm getting a little desperate, so any help is appreciated. I've been desperate for a good, strong almond scent and nothing is hitting the spot. I've tried the following:

Eden (not very almondy on me)

Thalassa (no almond whatsoever)

Seraglio (the rose takes over)

The Organ Grinder (:P)

Eclipse (cinnamon burn)

Bastet (love it, but the almond fades quickly)

Hecate (powdery, no almonds)

Queen of Sheba (super-powdery)

...and Dana O'Shee, which doesn't list almond as a note, but I'm among the many people who detect a cherry/almond note in it. Unfortunately, that's only in the early wet stage.

I amp rose like nobody's bidniz, even when I don't turn it to soap, and I can't tolerate red musk or orange blossom/neroli. Pleeeease, someone tell me if there's a nice, sweet almond blend that doesn't get swamped by other notes. I know that skin chem varies, but I need almond, dang it!

Okay, I'm getting a little desperate, so any help is appreciated. I've been desperate for a good, strong almond scent and nothing is hitting the spot. I've tried the following:

Eden (not very almondy on me)

Thalassa (no almond whatsoever)

Seraglio (the rose takes over)

The Organ Grinder (:P)

Eclipse (cinnamon burn)

Bastet (love it, but the almond fades quickly)

Hecate (powdery, no almonds)

Queen of Sheba (super-powdery)

...and Dana O'Shee, which doesn't list almond as a note, but I'm among the many people who detect a cherry/almond note in it. Unfortunately, that's only in the early wet stage.

I amp rose like nobody's bidniz, even when I don't turn it to soap, and I can't tolerate red musk or orange blossom/neroli. Pleeeease, someone tell me if there's a nice, sweet almond blend that doesn't get swamped by other notes. I know that skin chem varies, but I need almond, dang it!

How about Asp Viper?

I love it, it is very cyanide at first but dries down to juicy almond cookies (not the dry amaretti ones you always get, but like a different kind of almond cookies I used to eat when I was on holiday in Italy).

Queen of Sheba comes close to it at first but then goes so dry and powdery and weak, I liked the Asp Viper a lot better.

I've been staying away from the Snake Pit because the whole Snake Oil family of scents tends to scare me (see above, re: red musk), but I'll have to at least track down a decant of Asp Viper because I do know those cookies you're talking about and OMGYUM! :P As long as the myrrh doesn't go powdery and swamp the almonds the way it did in Hecate. Thanks!

How is Spanish Moss different from Oakmoss in smell?

I've never smelled it. Before BPAL I never even knew it had any smell.

See how educative BPAL is? :D

Spanish Moss is very strong, pungent, damp and even a little floral smelling in my experience (I've tried the BPAL single note). The GC scent that is strongest in Spanish Moss is Wolfsbane as far as I remember. It's even a little bit rosey in tone. Oakmoss is much more dry of a moss and the BPAL note smells exactly like fresh-from-the-tree oakmoss. A little dusty and rather earthy.

Look - I found an expert to answer this question! :P

Dymphna, there's a gorgeous TAL that's intended to be worn as perfume called Amor. It smells like almond pastries to me, sexy almond pastries. I know TAL decants are sometimes more difficult to find, but that would be my almond rec! I hate overwhelming almond, but I looooove Amor.

Beth made a prototype called Decadence a few years ago that never made it to release, although there were many frimps that made it into orders in late 2005, early 2005. I really, really hope that she releases it one day (I believe someone has come out with a perfume called "Decadence" in the meantime, so she probably will rename it and may not tell us that it's the formula she had originally envisioned as BPAL Decadence! But one sniff and I am sure I will know.) It is almondy, cinnamony, with a little bit of Grand Marnier/cognac to my nose. If you can ever get your hands on some, grab and run!

People who have tried both Amor and the Decadence prototype have noted a similarity. :D

Port-au-Prince has some almond, although it might be overwhelmed by the other notes. Almond tends to fade quickly, I find.

Snow White is supposed to be almondy, right? Maybe it will return this Yule. Hellcat would be another one to try.

I think, sadly, that you've kind of pinpointed the problem. When I was listing the blends I'd tried yesterday, I kept noticing that even in those that smelled very almondy initially, the almond scent didn't last long. In others, it never even shows up (case in point: Hellcat--I forgot that one even had almond). I will have to try Port-Au-Prince, though, thank you. I forgot about that one, too. I did actually look up "almond" with the search engine, but my problem isn't so much what has almond as what has almond with staying power.

I've been meaning to try Black Phoenix, too. That one is supposed to be very cherry-almond-licious.

And I'll definitely grab some Snow White if it comes back this year, just to see what all the fuss is about if nothing else.

I will second Asp viper, strongest almond i have found so far, snake oils is really back seat in this one...