Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fatalbellydance

Hunting for the ultimate _____ blend

This topic is a great idea, and it is very helpful to see all the responses and suggestions.

In recent weeks I went on a quest for the ultimate BPAL chocolate scent(s). Now to track down some other favorite fragrance notes!

Some "ultimate" scents or combinations I would like to find now would include:

a nice marshmallowy vanilla that somehow manages not to be cloying.

roses and vanilla other than Alice - there is a note in Alice (possibly the bergamot) that says "men's aftershave" and spoils the effect for me.

roses and lemon keeping it simple, maybe a bit of vanilla to round it out.

amber and vanilla just the two, with little or no embellishment.

amber and sandalwood with few to no floral notes, please!

cherry and vanilla again, preferably without floral notes.

chocolate and musk somehow this sounds like it could work.

fruits and spices with NO floral notes, vanilla would be OK.

a very dry, spicy incense with NO green or floral notes - just woods, resins and spices.

Any suggestions on any of these would be appreciated. The quests continue!

I'm unsure about most of these, but giving it a shot.

Roses and lemon - Delerium maybe, there's apple in it but I don't know how prevalent it is.

Cherry and vanilla - This may sound odd, but Enraged Groundhog Musk in the dry stage is just a lovely light cherry scent, not overly sweet at all. I wasn't sure about this blend at all until I tried it a second time and got to the drydown. Yum.

Fruits and spices - Shango comes to mind, it's currently on my wishlist so I have no idea how well it works, but it sounds just right.

Spicey incense - Anubis, Anubis, and more Anubis. It starts of really nice and light and dries down to pure incense and nothing else, it's glorious. Alternately (and this is pretty funny) Mr. Jacquel, starts off a bit foody but that goes away and leaves spices and amber in it's wake. Guh!

I love War- it's headed for my bottle list. It's a warmer scent than I'm thinking of, though (wanting a cold scent but not liking mint doesn't help things). I think what I really want is for Beth to start doing custom blends again. :P That would solve all my problems in life and I would start getting straight A's and win the lottery and lose 20 pounds without trying.

If you want something mean that's not too warm and not minty, maybe try something loaded with ozone. Lurid? maybe?

cherry and vanilla again, preferably without floral notes.

Have you tried Monster Bait: Bloody Mary?

I am on the search for the ultimate lilac. Of course, I'm very picky and have never really liked any lilac scent from any company I've tried. I want a lilac scent that smells like lilacs, not like a lilac perfume. *big sigh*

I also want the ultimate gingerale. Sure, gingerbread is fine, but I'd kill for a tickle-your-nose spicy and fizzy gingerale.

I want an "OMG this smells like my skin only way sexier" scent, too. I've tried O and La Petit Mort, and while both of them come close, they're not quite right. Something like Hymn to Proserpine but not quite as fruity with less of a throw.

I also want the ultimate gingerale. Sure, gingerbread is fine, but I'd kill for a tickle-your-nose spicy and fizzy gingerale.

I may get kicked for this, but, Demeter has a gingerale fragrance and I swear you can smell the bubbles! It literally tickled my nose when I sniffed it. Until Beth does one of her own (mmmmm, evil gingerale) at least you have something to fulfill your craving.

I may get kicked for this, but, Demeter has a gingerale fragrance and I swear you can smell the bubbles! It literally tickled my nose when I sniffed it. Until Beth does one of her own (mmmmm, evil gingerale) at least you have something to fulfill your craving.

Oh, I totally already own that one! It's nice and fizzy, but not quite enough ginger spicy for me, plus it fades so quickly. But it totally works as a great pick-me-up on days when I'm dying for a good, evil gingerale.

the ultimate _________:

coconut. One's that's tropical and sweet and lovely and deep and perfect and not Black Pearl. :P

lemon. There's so much lemon in the GC that I'm having trouble sorting through it. Preferably aomething with a little floral hint to it.

sugared fig. Pleeeeease!

See? I'm not that hard to please! :D

Edited by Naiade

coconut. One's that's tropical and sweet and lovely and deep and perfect and not Black Pearl. :D

I'm there, I want a nice juicy coconut. When I try Obatala I'll let you know how it goes. Don't try Eden if you want coconut meat! It made me :P and need to try different coconuts.

Thought of some more. :P

The ultimate sweet cherry.

The ultimate candy floss.

The ultimate sexy chocolate (Boomslang is nice but it's not chocolatey enough for me).

The ultimate crisp, juicy apple.

lemon. There's so much lemon in the GC that I'm having trouble sorting through it. Preferably aomething with a little floral hint to it.

Try Whitechapel! It's a realistic tart lemon scent at the start, then gradually turns to lilac and white musk. I think the citrus notes listed are lime and citron, but it mostly smelled like lemon to me. I tested my imp the other day and fell in love - today I bought a bottle from the For Sale section. :P

And I want a sugared fig scent too!

I'm always on the lookout for the perfect 'red' scent.........red musk, incense, spicy, smokey, that general category.....there are a few that I really like.....Fenris Wolf, Sin, Lust, Blood, Mme. Moriarty, of course Red Moon, and Crowley, which sort of falls into that. The list goes on and on! Oh yeah and Hellion, perhaps.

Try Whitechapel! It's a realistic tart lemon scent at the start, then gradually turns to lilac and white musk. I think the citrus notes listed are lime and citron, but it mostly smelled like lemon to me. I tested my imp the other day and fell in love - today I bought a bottle from the For Sale section. :D

And I want a sugared fig scent too!

ooooer... Lilac and white musk are favorites too! :P

/ add Whitechapel to wishlist

Roses and lemon - Delerium maybe, there's apple in it but I don't know how prevalent it is.

Cherry and vanilla - This may sound odd, but Enraged Groundhog Musk in the dry stage is just a lovely light cherry scent, not overly sweet at all. I wasn't sure about this blend at all until I tried it a second time and got to the drydown. Yum.

Fruits and spices - Shango comes to mind, it's currently on my wishlist so I have no idea how well it works, but it sounds just right.

Spicey incense - Anubis, Anubis, and more Anubis. It starts of really nice and light and dries down to pure incense and nothing else, it's glorious. Alternately (and this is pretty funny) Mr. Jacquel, starts off a bit foody but that goes away and leaves spices and amber in it's wake. Guh!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I tried Delirium but it was just... weird on me. EGM is such a fun scent, I get cherries and spices and nuts. Vice has some cherry, so it's pleasant in its own way.

I have ordered imps of Hymn to Proserpine, Shango and Anubis based on recommendations in this thread, and am looking for imps of other recommended scents now. Whee, you guys are enabling me to the max! :P

Have you tried Monster Bait: Bloody Mary?

Not yet, but I will, thanks!

I too have been looking for:

Coconut. One's that's tropical and sweet and lovely and deep and perfect and not Black Pearl.

I have ordered an imp of Obatala and have hopes that it will be a great coconut scent.

And as discussed here, I am in sympathy with Mixxi who wrote:

The ultimate sexy chocolate (Boomslang is nice but it's not chocolatey enough for me).

Well, which do you want more - sex or chocolate? :) But seriously, I found some sexy scents with cocoa notes (Tezcatlipoca tops the list on my skin) and some stronger chocolate notes which you may or may not find sexy - it would depend on your skin chemistry and brain wiring which scent has the most of each factor for you. :D

The chocolatiest chocolate that I found in the whole BPAL lineup is Bliss. Nothing else came close to smelling like real chocolate on me for more than a few minutes. But some people get great results with The Candy Butcher and other scents mentioned in that thread.

Great, guys - now I just need to stop reading this thread so I don't order any more imps for a while. :D

Cheers, y'all, and happy hunting!

Edited by Vanille

This topic is a great idea, and it is very helpful to see all the responses and suggestions.

In recent weeks I went on a quest for the ultimate BPAL chocolate scent(s). Now to track down some other favorite fragrance notes!

Some "ultimate" scents or combinations I would like to find now would include:

a nice marshmallow or buttercream vanilla that somehow manages not to be cloying.

roses and vanilla other than Alice - there is a note in Alice (possibly the bergamot) that says "men's aftershave" and spoils the effect for me.

roses and fruit other than Persephone, which smelled sharp and sour on me.

amber and vanilla just the two, with little or no embellishment.

amber and sandalwood with few or no floral notes, please!

fruit and vanilla again, with few or no floral notes.

chocolate and musk somehow this sounds like it could work.

fruits and spices sans floral notes, vanilla and/or amber would be OK.

a very dry, spicy incense with NO green or floral notes - just woods, resins and spices.

Nothing with detectable vetiver, please!

Any suggestions on any of these would be appreciated. The quests continue!

Well, let's see...

For a nice marshmallow or buttercream vanilla I'd say Cockaigne (I'd say Mitzvah too, but it's

impossible to find...

For roses and fruit- have you tried Two, Five, and Seven? It's a sweet fruity sort of rose (and Persephone was horrible on me).

For fruits and spices, maybe The March Hare?

My last rec is for a very dry, spicy incense, and I would say Tushnamatay all the way- it's delicious.

:P

Thought of some more. :D

The ultimate sweet cherry.

The ultimate crisp, juicy apple.

Mixxi- for cherry I'd say Black Phoenix and for a great apple scent I'd say Punkie Night or Verdandi.

:D

For a nice marshmallow or buttercream vanilla I'd say Cockaigne (I'd say Mitzvah too, but it's

impossible to find...

For roses and fruit- have you tried Two, Five, and Seven? It's a sweet fruity sort of rose (and Persephone was horrible on me).

For fruits and spices, maybe The March Hare?

My last rec is for a very dry, spicy incense, and I would say Tushnamatay all the way- it's delicious.

I gave Cockaigne another try today... it still smells like slightly burnt spicy cookies to me (which is OK), but thanks for the suggestion.

I am looking for an imp of Two, Five, and Seven this weekend. Hymn to Proserpine (supposedly a fruity rose) is in the works, and I think an imp of March Hare is also on its way to me.

Tushnamatay didn't seem to work for me when I tested it earlier, but based on your recommendation I will give it another chance. :P

Scents I am testing this weekend, relevant to this thread:

Reporting in on the coconut front: I just received Obatala today, and it seems like a keeper for me. Unlike the lab description and the experiences of most of the reviewers, I get a definite toasted scent from this blend. In fact, I would describe it as some sort of toasted, buttery coconut confection. I find it very pleasant, with a decent throw.

Fruit scents tested today: Mania smells exactly like strawberry incense on me - that is, like an incense stick right out of the box. That's not necessarily bad... Reminds me of bygone days and interesting settings... kind of evocative in a way. Next fruity scents to test this weekend: Night Gaunt and Depraved.

On the chocolate front: Cerberus was a big disappointment. I had such high hopes after reading all the rave reviews, too. I don't how other people found the chocolate notes they were cooing about - all I got was strong lemon oil, offset by a bit of tomato and/or celery. (Lemon rind stew, anyone?) By concentrating really hard on the lab description I could almost imagine a rum note somewhere in the background but... Ah, well.

More imps to test this weekend - the research continues!

Edited by Vanille

While we're at it:

Ultimate grapefruit.

Ultimate peach.

Ultimate pear. La Belle au Bois Dormant is not it. BPAL Evening Dew killed it.

Ultimate orange blossom.

Ultimate alcohol - not red wine, but something a little lighter. Like the alcohol in Shattered (BTW, I'm taking PayPal donations to replace my contaminated Shattered - only $1.50 to go!).

Ultimate "Smells like loli".

Ultimate "I'm finally grown up, and I am AWESOME".

While we're at it:

Ultimate alcohol - not red wine, but something a little lighter. Like the alcohol in Shattered (BTW, I'm taking PayPal donations to replace my contaminated Shattered - only $1.50 to go!).

Try Titania for pear--it's the only one that really came out smelling like pear on me.

Alcohol... try Swank, and The Hamptons.

"loli"? Lollipops? Jailbait, for sure. Treat #1 if you can get your hands on it.

Alcohol - Swank, or Twenty-One.

My "I am woman, I am Goddess" scent is Magdalene.

I was searching for my ultimate pipe tobacco, and I have come very close with A Bold Bluff, all it's lacking is some vanilla. It really smells like pipe tobacco, and doesn't have the same sharp edge that Herr Drosselmeyer did on me. I :P it.

While we're at it:

Ultimate grapefruit.

Ultimate peach.

Ultimate orange blossom.

Ultimate 'smells like loli' - if you mean "loli" like in "lolicon", why not go for the obvious and try Lolita? I haven't personally tried it, but it might be just right.

Ultimate pear - have you tried Endymion? It's actually a floral pear, but - at least on my skin - rather heavy on the pear.

Ultimate alcohol - I'm not exactly sure what you imagine an "ultimate alcohol" scent to smell like, but "Grand Guignol" is very boozy to me.

And my personal 'I am woman, hear me roar' scent is Blood Countess.

What I'd like to find is the ultimate champaca scent (I adore the champaca in Hellion and I'd love to smell something that comes as close as possible to a champaca SN!) and the ultimate kiwi scent. And unfortunately, there only seem to be two BPALs containing kiwi, and both are LE! :P

A bottle of Mi-Go Brain Canister is on its way to me, though, and I'm hoping that my skin will decide to amp the kiwi. =D

Update: Still searching for a coconut blend. I didn't like the toasted quality of the coconut in Eden, and Obatala's shea butter added a nuttiness that I didn't enjoy. I really just want a coconut meat/milk scent, so......still looking........

Let's see. My ultimate blends.

I'm still on the hunt for the ultimate vanilla. Antique Lace wasn't it (though it was gorgeous, it was way too strong with my chemistry), Tombstone wasn't it (too cedary and mannish), Zarita wasn't it (burnt sugar ahoy), Bigger Critters wasn't it (almost perfect, but one of the five vanillas was Zarita's burnt sugar), Alice is amazing and lovely but more of a carnation blend, Dorian wasn't it (too much musk, especially aged), Dragon's Milk wasn't it, O wasn't it, Snake Oil wasn't it, Snake Charmer wasn't it, Underpants wasn't it. Fairy Market was almost it---a marshmallowy, soft scent wet; dry, it blossomed into the incense, lavender, and grassy sugar. Gorgeous, but not it.

I want just a dry, soft vanilla, more of a vanilla flower scent than a vanilla extract scent. I almost think Mr. Ibis might be it. Except my nose tends to wrinkle at Beth's aloe note.

Other than my decade-long search for the perfect vanilla, I'm also looking for the ultimate dirt. I have a feeling I'd go apeshit over Graveyard Dirt, but seriously, like I'm ever going to find it. Destroying Angel was close but turned into Chanel No. 5 on the drydown (...I don't know), and Death Cap is beautiful but laced with vanilla. I really need to get another imp of Zombi.

But I must say I'm happy---I've found my ultimate signature scent. Queen of Clubs. If you ask me, it's one of Beth's most beautiful blends, hands-down. Feminine without being girly, sweet without being cloying, earthy without being "Were you making mud pies or something?", floral without being "AAAAUGH GET IT OFF," incensey without being a headshop, and dries into a lingering vanilla-rose-dirt-incense. I may have to anoint my room with this, seriously.

Palastinalied---have you tried Cheshire Cat? I tried every GC and most LE grapefruits and didn't like any of them enough to call one my "perfect grapefruit," but Cheshire Cat is it.

Edited by Eoife Macbeth

I'm still on the hunt for the ultimate vanilla. Antique Lace wasn't it (though it was gorgeous, it was way too strong with my chemistry), Tombstone wasn't it (too cedary and mannish), Zarita wasn't it (burnt sugar ahoy), Bigger Critters wasn't it (almost perfect, but one of the five vanillas was Zarita's burnt sugar), Alice is amazing and lovely but more of a carnation blend, Dorian wasn't it (too much musk, especially aged), Dragon's Milk wasn't it, O wasn't it, Snake Oil wasn't it, Snake Charmer wasn't it, Underpants wasn't it. Fairy Market was almost it---a marshmallowy, soft scent wet; dry, it blossomed into the incense, lavender, and grassy sugar. Gorgeous, but not it.

Try Lyonesse, it's very light vanilla, not too sweet, just lovely. My husband even likes it :P he thought Antique Lace was too strong too.

The main thing I've been searching for is a good forest scent. There are some pine-y blends I haven't tried yet that sound good, but I'd also like more of a deciduous forest scent--green leaves, oaks and maples... I've tried some of the common recommendations, like Hamadryad and Yggdrasil, but they faded fast and didn't smell very foresty on me. Anything with much flowers or fruits, those tend to dominate the forest smells, also. I just want forest, nothing else! :P Well, a tiny bit of floral might be okay.

Any ideas for an ultimate non-evergreen forest scent?

Edited by melusine

I'm afraid I don't have the answer to the ultimate forest scent, but I suspect I know who does: sarada! She is without a doubt the queen of the foresty, earthy scents and I always rely on her reviews to guide me.

I was wondering if, like me, anyone else has specific blends they're trying to find.

I'm looking for:

the ultimate honey + a hint of earthiness blend (like Honeymoon that won't cost me an arm, leg, and another leg...hehe)

the ultimate sweet snow blend with no pine whatsoever - I have snow and creamy blends but I want snow and something sweet - like sugar, tiniest hint of lime or citrus

the ultimate blend that smells like Fee but that won't cost me the above limbs (hehe)

:P