Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fatalbellydance

Hunting for the ultimate _____ blend

I was wondering if, like me, anyone else has specific blends they're trying to find.

I really get to the point of craving a scent, and if I don't already own it, then I have to go searching for it. These are the one's that I haven't found yet, and am currently searching for.

Musky vanilla,

aquatic vanilla,

citrus and vanilla,

berries with vanilla,

the ultimate pipe tobacco,

the ultimate coconut,

the ultimate grapefruit,

the ultimate jasmine,

the ultimate cognac, and

a earthy/dirt rose scent.

I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations (though they are always appreciated), just seeing if other people look for scents this way. I also thought it would be a good place to keep this list so that I can point others to it if they want to know what I'm looking for.

Admins, let me know if there's already a thread like this, or if it needs to be moved, please.

Edited to add to list.

Edited by fatalbellydance

Well, I'm not an expert, but I'd recommend Dorian as a musky vanilla, and I found Obatala to be an incredible coconut scent. As for earth and rose, I'm not into rose personally, but a browse of the site gives Zombi as an earthen rose.

Good luck! :P

Oh good, I see the thread's active already - it got locked by accident earlier! We mods have a few buttons and options that regular members don't have and somehow the close thread action got activated when a mod was viewing the thread. Our apologies to fatalbellydance and to anyone who wanted to comment earlier! :P

Aquatic vanilla! I just tried one of those. Sea of Glass, definitely, at least to my nose. It's well loved at least so not a bad thing to try. I also just tried Phobos which is a nice strong lemon/grapefruit.

I crave a strong golden musk, slightly sweet scent, like Tushnamatay or the end of Coyote, only MUCH stronger. Hymn to Proserpine comes close, but is a little too sweetly amber...

Oh, and a peach scent I'll actually love. Sigh.

Well, I'm not an expert, but I'd recommend Dorian as a musky vanilla, and I found Obatala to be an incredible coconut scent. As for earth and rose, I'm not into rose personally, but a browse of the site gives Zombi as an earthen rose.

Good luck! :P

I've tried Zombi, and unfortunately it was all rose on me, I liked it, but am needing a bit more dirt, or alot more dirt. Thanks for the other recs though, I'll keep them in mind.

Ultimate soft rose rather than ultimate "slap you in the face" rose like RR and Peacock Queen.

I know it's an LE, but have you tried Rose Moon? Rose is the main note, but it's very soft. There are some similar GC recs in the GC equivalents of LEs thread.

Ultimate soft rose rather than ultimate "slap you in the face" rose like RR and Peacock Queen.

I know it's an LE, but have you tried Rose Moon? Rose is the main note, but it's very soft. There are some similar GC recs in the GC equivalents of LEs thread.

I considered it. Almost bought a pack of 6 moon decants and it was in there. Does Rose Moon do the same wonky "explode" thing that Hope and Possets Frou Frou do? Because those turn into a squeaky chemical scent on me.

I considered it. Almost bought a pack of 6 moon decants and it was in there. Does Rose Moon do the same wonky "explode" thing that Hope and Possets Frou Frou do? Because those turn into a squeaky chemical scent on me.

On me, no. Hope turned horribly musty soapy on me, but Rose Moon is like a rose bouquet (containing many flowers) on a nearby table. I thought it was quite nice, although a little bit light and gentle for my tastes. I like the more in your face rose blends.

Ultimate grapefruit for me is Baobhan Sith. Can't wait for my bottle to arrive.

Ultimate pipe tobacco for me is Hearth 04. Cherry tobacco, like my old parish priest used to smoke - spot on. Herr Drosselmeyer is also a close second.

Ultimate citrus and vanilla for me is Theodosius. Also musky. Seriously divine. Knocks Dorian out of the park for me as far as tea blends go.

Ultimate grapefruit for me is Baobhan Sith. Can't wait for my bottle to arrive.

Ultimate pipe tobacco for me is Hearth 04. Cherry tobacco, like my old parish priest used to smoke - spot on. Herr Drosselmeyer is also a close second.

Ultimate citrus and vanilla for me is Theodosius. Also musky. Seriously divine. Knocks Dorian out of the park for me as far as tea blends go.

Thanks for those. Herr Drosselmeyer was good, but not nearly rich enough for me. I should have said I want pipe tobacco sex.

I know how you like a good list funkmoppet, and I'm curious, what kinds of scents are you craving?

Edited by fatalbellydance

*snip*

Musky vanilla,

aquatic vanilla,

citrus and vanilla,

berries with vanilla,

the ultimate pipe tobacco,

the ultimate coconut,

the ultimate grapefruit,

the ultimate jasmine,

the ultimate cognac, and

a earthy/dirt rose scent.

*snip*

Let's see...

Musky vanilla: Dorian for a brighter, more golden scent; Antique Lace for more of an ivory.

Aquatic vanilla: Black Opal

Citrus and vanilla: I haven't found one yet, but I think Zephyr would be a good opening move.

Berries with vanilla: Australian Copperhead. Oh god, it's so good.

Pipe tobacco: Can't help you there---but a lot of people mention Herr Drosselmeyer, I think?

Coconut: I LOVE Black Pearl. It's the only coconut I can wear.

Grapefruit: Hands-down, Cheshire Cat. I tried every grapefruit in the GC, disliked them all, then found Cheshire Cat. It's perfect.

Jasmine: Monsterbait: biggerCritters. Jasmine buttercreme.

Cognac I can't help you with, sorry :D but I think it's safe to say Formula 54 is the "ultimate" cognac.

Earthy/dirt rose scent: Seconding Zombi. Queen of Clubs too... I hesitate to ever recommend that, because I'm so obsessed with finding it that I don't want competition! :P

Hope some of this helps you. Have fun!

Pipe Tobacco sex -- Red Lantern 2006 was definitely that on me. Got very little caramel or opium, but tobacco is divine.

Grapefruit - Cheshire Cat. Wonderful grapefruit with depth and staying power.

I'm still looking for the ultimate benzoin scent. Any recs?

The ultimate berries+vanilla blend for me is Crumpet Rebellion, but considering how hard to find CR is, I too am hunting for the perfect berries+vanilla scent.

Also on my "desperately seeking ______" list is:

the ultimate pipe tobacco+honey/vanilla

the ultimate leather+honey

the ultimate plum+citrus

the ultimate pastry/white cake+citrus

the ultimate hay+berries

the ultimate hay+honey

Since hay is a fairly uncommon note that is, in my experience, usually not done very well (no I don't want to smell like moldy hay, or hay with horse sh*** on top) it may take me a long time to find those last two. I have yet to try a bpal blend with a hay note, but I don't believe that there are very many. In fact I only remember seeing one or two at the most :P.

I know how you like a good list funkmoppet, and I'm curious, what kinds of scents are you craving?

:P *cracks list writing knuckles*

The big one for me is the ultimate castle scent. One without pine, and without dragon's blood, and without food notes. I want stone and wood and tapestries. Problem is myrrh is such a good note for that, but my stupid skin won't play very nicely with myrrh.

Then there's:

Ultimate animalistic musk scent. (Some kind of Buck Moon, Coyote, Smut hybrid)

Ultimate librarian scent. (Aziraphale's the closest, and I adore it - but I'd just love one LIKE that, but with extra musk, and a touch of pipe smoke. Just a touch.)

Ultimate woodlands scent. (one without pine, with more dirt, mushrooms, mulch and light wild-flowers)

Ultimate beach scent (without sunscreen. Sand, salt and wild grasses)

Ultimate rose scent (a big ask with rose's amping tendencies on me - but I'd love a rose with wood, leather and musk that doesn't just turn into rose on me.)

Ultimate worsted wool scent. (with heather. Heavy wool laundered with a breath of heather or lavender.)

Ultimate warrior scent. (with no dragon's blood. I want salt, leather, steel and sweaty musk.)

And I'm with you on the ultimate vanilla and berry scent. Tart wild berries.

I don't ask for much. :D

:P *cracks list writing knuckles*

The big one for me is the ultimate castle scent. One without pine, and without dragon's blood, and without food notes. I want stone and wood and tapestries. Problem is myrrh is such a good note for that, but my stupid skin won't play very nicely with myrrh.

Then there's:

Ultimate animalistic musk scent. (Some kind of Buck Moon, Coyote, Smut hybrid)

Ultimate librarian scent. (Aziraphale's the closest, and I adore it - but I'd just love one LIKE that, but with extra musk, and a touch of pipe smoke. Just a touch.)

Ultimate woodlands scent. (one without pine, with more dirt, mushrooms, mulch and light wild-flowers)

Ultimate beach scent (without sunscreen. Sand, salt and wild grasses)

Ultimate rose scent (a big ask with rose's amping tendencies on me - but I'd love a rose with wood, leather and musk that doesn't just turn into rose on me.)

Ultimate worsted wool scent. (with heather. Heavy wool laundered with a breath of heather or lavender.)

Ultimate warrior scent. (with no dragon's blood. I want salt, leather, steel and sweaty musk.)

And I'm with you on the ultimate vanilla and berry scent. Tart wild berries.

I don't ask for much. :)

I'll take one of each of those. :D

Have you tried The Black Tower? I haven't but it sounds like it might fit one of your wants (not sure which one), and I don't see any notes that won't work for you.

I amp rose too. I love rose, but I am trying to find a rose that doesn't end up a single note on me, it's the reason Zombi had no earth on me. :D

I'll take one of each of those. :P

Have you tried The Black Tower? I haven't but it sounds like it might fit one of your wants (not sure which one), and I don't see any notes that won't work for you.

I amp rose too. I love rose, but I am trying to find a rose that doesn't end up a single note on me, it's the reason Zombi had no earth on me. :D

Yeah, Zombie did exactly the same with me too. Just enough of a whiff of the soil just to torment me before the rose took over. I love rose, but with my amping skin, I only need one - otherwise it's just going to be a series of blends that smell the same on me.

Have you tried Nocnitsa? That had an honest-to-god wet dirt note at the start. It faded (I liked what it faded into - I like moss), but it was absolutely dirt at the beginning.

Yep, I've tried The Black Tower, and it's very close to my perfect castle scent. But the red wine in that one gives it a meaty-fruity note that's not my perfect idea of a castle scent. Also, I need to be in the mood for Black Tower, or it starts making me think of Bonox - it's why I ended up not getting a bottle. I think the imp might be enough.

Ultimate cucumber. I KNOW YOU ARE OUT THERE. Please tell me where you are, ultimate cucumber :P

(And no, it's not Blue Moon, Squirting Cucumber, or Gibbous Moon... I want a cucumber SN.)

And ultimate ocean scent - but not aquatic; there is a difference!

Have you tried Nocnitsa? That had an honest-to-god wet dirt note at the start. It faded (I liked what it faded into - I like moss), but it was absolutely dirt at the beginning.

An imp is on the way, kinda. I'm lucky in that my best friend is just as addicted as I am, so we share all the new imps and bottles that come in. I get to try twice as much as I normally would. If it's as awesome as I hope it is I'll get a bottle and layer it with Zombi. :P

Ultimate soft rose: Have you tried Lucy's Kiss or London? Neither is as in-your-face as Rose Red; they're both tea roses. Moon Rose, too, though the nighttime flowers killed that one for me.

I want the ultimate honey scent that doesn't turn wonky on me. I want it to smell like mead or supersweet clover honey, not beeswax. Honey Moon was close. Honey SN was closer. Neither was my perfect honey scent.

Dark chocolate and merlot.

Ginger and honey.

Vanilla bean ice cream.

Ultimate soft rose: Have you tried Lucy's Kiss or London? Neither is as in-your-face as Rose Red; they're both tea roses. Moon Rose, too, though the nighttime flowers killed that one for me.

Yeah, not a fan of tea rose, after trying both those blends. My favourite rose blend is Whip, because it's a real, wet, just-picked red rose. The leather is sadly swamped, but that rose note is gorgeous.

I liked Moon Rose, as I like the night-time flowers - but it's too pretty for me to want to wear it much.

I want the ultimate honey scent that doesn't turn wonky on me. I want it to smell like mead or supersweet clover honey, not beeswax. Honey Moon was close. Honey SN was closer. Neither was my perfect honey scent.

I am so with you on wanting a mead or clover honey blend. That would be a glorious thing.

I'd love a BPAL that smells like the smell you get before it rains, but so far no luck, since ozone goes to hairspray on me.

The ultimate soft rose (for me, anyway) would definitely be Alice - it's so light and creamy. :D

My ultimate honey blend is currently tied between Litha (warm, golden honeymead) and Les Bijoux (more of a green, lightly fruit-kissed, effervescent honey - delish!) - though in the colder months, I'd reach for Bengal (anyone looking for a honey/ginger scent should try this one - it's gorgeous).

My plum/citrus pick would have to be Antonino.

Ultimate coconut is tougher, though:

- I love Black Pearl because it's a delicate, softly sweet, non-suntan lotion coconut blend you can wear anywhere

- Obatala is pure beach to my nose - cool water, a hint of salty breezes, and milky coconut - so amazing

- Brown Jenkins is a neat departure from 'usual' coconut scents - it's a darker, slightly toasted, almost EVIL coconut! :P

I haven't tried any choco/merlot blends, but it seems like Kali and Centzon Totochtin are the (only?) pair to try.

As for me, I'm still looking for the Ultimate:

- white musk (I've sampled most of bpal's WM, have many faves, but I'm always on the hunt for more!)

- lemon sugar blend

- true lilac (one that doesn't smell like a bathroom spray on me)

- freesia

- primrose

- chill rain (sans hairspray or cheapo-drugstore-parfoom effect)

I'm looking for the ultimate cold, sugary mint scent that doesn't fade quickly.

Oh and the ultimate light but really sexy scent... though I'm not exactly sure how it'd smell. If that makes sense haha

Edited by Mixxi