Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fatalbellydance

Hunting for the ultimate _____ blend

I'm hunting for the ultimate oriental rose scent. I bought La Rose Angel (just to give you guys an idea of what I mean), but it wasn't "spicy" enough. I'm thinking that my best bet would be experimenting with layering to get the kind of bold, over-the-top sort of scent that I'm looking for. I want to smell like I imagine Salome smelled before she danced the dance of the seven veils, if that helps. It needs to be spicier and earthier than La Rose Angel. Any suggestions for either one bpal that fits the description, or a layering combination that might work? I was thinking maybe Two, Five & Seven with Bengal?

Or how about Harlot? Love that one. Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon

Did you try 'Black Phoenix' yet?

No, I haven't. I didn't know it had rose. I feel a new order coming on. :)

I'm hunting for the ultimate oriental rose scent. I bought La Rose Angel (just to give you guys an idea of what I mean), but it wasn't "spicy" enough. I'm thinking that my best bet would be experimenting with layering to get the kind of bold, over-the-top sort of scent that I'm looking for. I want to smell like I imagine Salome smelled before she danced the dance of the seven veils, if that helps. It needs to be spicier and earthier than La Rose Angel. Any suggestions for either one bpal that fits the description, or a layering combination that might work? I was thinking maybe Two, Five & Seven with Bengal?

Or how about Harlot? Love that one. Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I LOVE Harlot!

I'm looking for the ultimate "smokey forest" scent. I love tree sap, fir/pine, and smoke. I don't care for wood. I have Black Forest and love it but it doesn't have the smoke or sap and a tad bit too much wood for me. I have high hopes for the new 'weenie Przeczucie but the reviews so far are worrying me. Anybody out there with a recommendation? Thanks!

I'm looking for the ultimate "smokey forest" scent. I love tree sap, fir/pine, and smoke. I don't care for wood. I have Black Forest and love it but it doesn't have the smoke or sap and a tad bit too much wood for me. I have high hopes for the new 'weenie Przeczucie but the reviews so far are worrying me. Anybody out there with a recommendation? Thanks!

These are the only two I could think of right off the bat without woods as a listed note (though may be implied or amped):

THE FOREST REVERIE

A sunlit ancient forest, dotted with wild roses, grape vine, and queenly lilies, clothed in swirls of opium smoke.

HALLOWEEN: LOS ANGELES

The sky on fire: a strange incense of burning brush, junegrass, tumbleweeds, chaparral, and wild sage.

...and on this occasion, I looked at your name and request- but instantly thought of:

HELL'S ACRES YULE TREE FARM

Providing Yule trees for the Miskatonic Valley community since the Year of the Black Goat! Our saplings are imported directly from the Land of Three Suns, and are cultivated organically while strictly observing the blood rites necessary for optimum growth. We have pyre-ready firewood for sale, plus free candy canes and hot cocoa for the kids! We also offer ceremonial flocking!

I know youre not after this but I couldn't resist hahaha.

Haha, thanks Celestia! I know I have an imp of The Forest Reverie around here somewhere, but for some reason I feel like I tried it and didn't quite like it.... goin to have to dig it out again to see why. Both of the other ones sound great! Thanks!

Try layering Scarecrow or SN Bonfire with your favorite Forest/wood blend?

Also, it's old, so possibly tricky to find, but there was a BPAL perfume called Wildfire. Also, I can't miss an opportunity to plug The Ifrit and Agnes Nutter. (You'd have to layer to get the forest)

Edited by sprout

Okay I have a few holy grails to suggest.

I am searching for the perfect

Leather scent (please not Loviatar, I can't afford it).

Jammy Rose

Ambergris

Petrichor

Night air

Vanilla with Amber

Carnation (I'm on a carnation quest at the moment with leather a close second)

Wine

Edited by sprout

Jammy Rose

Ambergris

Petrichor

Night air

Vanilla with Amber

Wine

For rose, have you tried Adrastea or Kurukulla? Adrastea is more of a rose + middle eastern baked goods scent, but the sweet/fruity lotus note makes Kurukulla kind of jammy on me. (And of course there's LUSH's Rose Jam).

Jammy Rose

Ambergris

Petrichor

Night air

Vanilla with Amber

Wine

I struggle to find leather scents that work on me. The ones I adore (even with my picky skin chem) are Whip, Byron v13 (not at all hard to find even though it's a proto, there is likely some on Etsy right now) The Arabian Dance, Palmyra, Unicorn and Ram and OUTLAW (Omg, so good!) The Library of John Dee is great as well, but the leather is really subtle. If you wanna get crazy with your search, Fetish.Goth is AMAZING. I also love aged Liz for leather (fresh, it's not great on me)

Jammy Rose - still searching for that myself! Have you tried Hope? More sugared that jammy, but getting there.

Ambergris - I thought I was in love with it, but now I wonder if I am in love with the combo of ambergris and Frankincense, as I really only LOVE it in The Mirror and A Specific Aberration, and the rest of the time I feel like I can't even pick it out.

Petrichor - (you made me google, btw) really I have no idea...Catch Me Dad, maybe? It doesn't list "drying rain", but it has that grass smell that comes sort of close...?

Night Air - Nowhere in Particular The scent of a moonlit night on the road, orchards in the distance, and swirling dust. It's not something I wanted to wear, but such a neat atmospheric scent!

Vanilla and Amber - I am going to assume you already tried O and that didn't do it for you? Or Hesiod's Phoenix? Maybe you'd get lucky with one of the Chaos Theory Amber or Vanilla series? Have you tried The First of the Three Spirits Shimmering white amber, voluminous vanilla, white musk, zdravetz, and summer flowers. or A Wonderful Light Three radiant ambers with honey, linden blossom, bourbon vanilla, and orange zest. Venus Genetrix (never tried it, no idea how strong the jasmine tea is) Black amber and jasmine tea with 7-year aged vanilla bourbon absolute.

Carnation - I am assuming you have already tried GC ones like Alice, Queen Alice, Brisingamen? (If not, you should, lol!) For LE's I think the new Miss Lizzie is an amazing soft carnation scent, but I may be biased. ;) A merry honeyed carnation dotted with dried ruby fruits. But my favourite is still Hod/Hod Res.

Wine - I am not a lot of help, wine is a terrible disaster on me. The only one that has been good on my skin is Wanda, which I really really like.

Good luck on your quest! Let us know what you find. :D

Jammy Rose

Ambergris

Petrichor

Night air

Vanilla with Amber

Wine

I'm not great with some of these notes, as I live on the sweeter, lighter spectrum towards vanilla, amber, carnation, lighter soft leather, and ambergris. So my recommendations/suggestions might only be partially useful. :/

Have you tried Clockwork Couture: Female?

Leather, golden amber, vanilla orchid, Spanish moss, Oxford clay, and tonka.

It is a beautifully sugary vanilla and sweet golden amber kind of scent scent and has one of my favourite leathers also!

For jammy rose, I don't really have anything that comes to mind without layering, but if you haven't tried Love, you might be interested? It has a sugared rose nose and a sweet fruit together with more sweet confectionery but the rose is made present even with all the sugary components!

Marshmallows and rose sugar with whipped vanilla cream and a hint of strawberry.

Failing that, layer a lot of Peacock Queen with Raspberry Sufganiyot (only a drop)? haha.

Ambergris is a beautiful note and I even though I own quite a few, I feel the ones I have are more of a supporting note than the main attraction. If you're looking for something like a single note, that might be "perfect" because i showcases the note loud and clear. My favourite that I could probably call an ambergris blend of sorts is still Lyonesse, which some even describe as a salty sweet vanilla amber... it is also a vanilla and amber blend of sorts which might help marry some of these notes up together.

I love carnations and I think while some blends containing it are impossible or too expensive to hunt down, others, like Miss Lizzie, are more recent and might appeal to you! If you're keen to mix your carnations with amber, you might also be interested in Hod (Resurrected version is easier to find). Spanish Red Carnation is quite a bit more spicier than I personally prefer for carnation scents, but if you are okay with this, it might be up your ally.

Edited by celestia

Could anyone recommend a great smokey/tobacco BPAL scent? Happy for it to be mixed with other notes - I particularly love oudh, rose and leather, but it's the smokiness I'm really looking for. Thanks!

Could anyone recommend a great smokey/tobacco BPAL scent? Happy for it to be mixed with other notes - I particularly love oudh, rose and leather, but it's the smokiness I'm really looking for. Thanks!

The Organ Grinder!

conjunction of mars and saturn has a smokey element to it, but it's more complex than straight up tobacco smoke.

elegba is heavy on the coconut on my skin, but I've read reviews from others who've found the drydown to evoke puffs of ceremonial cigar smoke

in time of plague is a unisex scent that is smokey rose tobacco cologne. (if you want rose tobacco that isn't cologne-like, try la pierreuse, a current luper)

interfector is a scent that shows off the lab's french tobacco note wonderfully. it leans sweet rather than straight up smokey to my nose.

looming spectre is tobacco heavy, absolutely stunning, although more of a "blend" than a showcase for tobacco smoke.

mr prenderghast smells like snuggling up to a ciggie-coffee drinker, but in the best, coziest possible way.

the organ grinder borders on the gourmand for me, due to the almond milk, sarsaparilla and coconut, but it's divine and worth trying.

previous LEs that might interest you are

phoenix and dragon (oud smoke mostly with tobacco in the bkgd) and the bptp's dark and weary (these scents would be twins but for one note that differentiates them)

the top: BOOM POW strong rose over smoke heavenly epic sexiness

visions of autumn 7: tobacco gloriousness

it doesn't list tobacco as a note, but Ligur is dark and smoldering. almost like a campfire; perfect to evoke a demon

Edited by annemathematics

Can anyone recommend a blend that has Myrrh as a dominant component?

Penitence A blend of pure, pious frankincense and graceful myrrh Usually Frankincense is a "bully note" on me, but in this blend the Myrrh is totally dominant. I really like it.

If you're willing to hunt it down or wait for it to be available from Blood Milk again, Lorraine Cross is my favourite ever Myrrh scent. Steam-distilled Somalian myrrh with wild crafted rockrose, Moroccan rose absolute, and white sandalwood

ETA - there's also this thread that I found - http://www.bpal.org/topic/17127-myrrh-identifying-its-scent-picking-the-best-blends/?p=322574

Edited by LizziesLuck

Oooh Frankincense is usually on the high and screechy side for me, but if Myrrh is dominant I might go ahead and give it a try! Thanks!!

Unfortunately I can't do rose (it either dominates or goes pure soap on me) though.

Bestest ever but hard to find: Streets of Detroit is hands down my favorite myrrh dominant creation

Some myrrh heavy GC blends that I like include: Anubis, Czernobog, La Petite Mort!, Priala the Human Phoenix, Sed non Satiata, Wings of Azrael

To be fair, I amp myrrh, but these are the blends that I can clearly detect the myrrh and it's listed as one of the major components

Honorable mention to Medea, Bastet, and Hecate also but they aren't as myrrh dominant as the previous listed ones

HTH

Edited by sprout

Jammy Rose

Ambergris

Petrichor

Night air

Vanilla with Amber

Wine

Sprout, you're so good at digging up these old threads and resurrecting them. I'll visit the forum, and see your name in the recent post, and I'm like "hmm, I wonder what cool thread she found this time."

For Wine, have you tried, Halloween in Las Vegas? Also, Dark Chocolate with Merlot-Infused Black Cherries, and Star Anise. Granted, it's sweet because of the cherries, so it's like a cheapy wine, but it smells divine.

I'm looking for something like Solstice Scents: A Salty Mariner. Sadly, there are no specific notes, aside from seaspray, so it's been difficult to try different things. But this smelled amazing on my husband, and we are sad she discontinued it. We no longer have his imp, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Salty Mariner smells exactly like walking down the beach and being hit in the face with sea spray from the waves. It smells very salty, seaweedy and oceany. It is a pretty complex scent and you will be surprised how much it smells like the beach! A very clean, salty, ocean breeze fragrance that is perfect for both men and women.

Bestest ever but hard to find: Streets of Detroit is hands down my favorite myrrh dominant creation

Some myrrh heavy GC blends that I like include: Anubis, Czernobog, La Petite Mort!, Priala the Human Phoenix, Sed non Satiata, Wings of Azrael

To be fair, I amp myrrh, but these are the blends that I can clearly detect the myrrh and it's listed as one of the major components

Honorable mention to Medea, Bastet, and Hecate also but they aren't as myrrh dominant as the previous listed ones

HTH

Ooh I'll have to try to get an imp of Anubis and Czernobog and I think I just got one for Sed non Satiata that I haven't tried! Thanks!

Can anyone recommend any scents involving sugary violets other than Faith (which I keep meaning to buy and forget every time I make an order!) I used to think I liked violet in general but I'm starting to realise that what I actually like is those Parma Violet sweets, so anything along those lines would be great :D

Woods in winter Has a lovely pine note!! More "cold" than smokey I'd say but maybe right up your alley?

I've been looking for something that's a lot like Oilily's discontinued Spanish rose.

While I have one bottle left I'm terrified of running out cause it just makes me so happy?