Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

Wet, I get playdoh. :(

Even after an hour I have.. faintly almond smelling playdoh.

Boo. :(

Snow White 2007-

At first sniff from the bottle, I get soft powdery floral that I like.

On my skin, it turns into a sweet white floral and almond... almost like a distant cousin of Lush Snowcake. It is a very pretty scent but not omgloveforever! will definitely keep it because I'm sure I'll have an occasion to wear it. :P

When I smell them together, 2005 and 2007 smell virtually identical. But for some reason I keep thinking that the 2007 version is stronger, but when I compare them I really don’t get that at all.

However it compares, it’s a masterpiece and one of my all-time ever favorite scents. I’m so thankful this was brought back this year.

It smells of creamy honeyed coconut, vanilla, a hint of cream, something cold like a chill north wind and a touch of fresh green. When I smell it without trying to identify notes or describe the scent, I do think of flowers yet when I try to describe them I’m at a loss.

It’s so beautiful and indeed deserves its legendary status.

I wanted to like this, just for the name as I love Snow White! First sniff though to me reminded me of Lush Snowcake, but on skin it had a horrid smell and everybody was complaining of smelly plastic... :(

Perhaps I didn't like it because of the cocunut? Who knows, I have a strange nose also! Wish I could learn to love it; I'll save it a while longer..

2007 version

This reminds me more of a trip to the beach than anything! It has a coconutty scent that's almost identical to the Coppertone sunscreen my mom used on us when I was little. I also faintly smell almonds, and maybe a gentle touch of an aquatic note. On my skin, the flowers are...absent. It's just a light, nutty, watery scent.

I like it, and am very glad to have a bottle, but in all honesty there are others I like better- I don't understand why people rave about it. But I guess I have a weird nose!

Edited, April 2008: Snow White apparently just needed to age a few months. No more coconuts here...now this smells like an icy stream of melted snow coming off a glacier, with snowdrops and narcissus and other soft, delicate, early spring flowers. Simply beautiful!

Edited by lilirose

This reminds me a lot of Dana O'Shee which I adore only you need to add a dash of coconut and a fairly strong floral element. I actually think I like Dana O'Shee better (yay for GC!) but will use this happily when I want something just a bit different.

Snow White 2007 is freakin' AWESOME!!! I loved 2004, liked 2005, but 2007 is PERFECTION!

The slightly plastic-y note that happens on my skin with 04 and 05 (which I do like) DOESN'T HAPPEN with 07. Plus, great staying power. I sweat, showered, and STILL could smell it on me.

If you are on the fence, get it. You won't be disappointed.

This one is going to be HOARDED!

imp: milky sweet and a bit snowy/ozone

wet: warms up and smells a little watery somehow, like a cucumber. The waft is lovely, but the ozone/greenish scent it a little much...I'm worried as I really want to like this one. (lol peer pressure)

dry: Up close this smells funny to me, sort of like watercress, but the throw is indescribably lovely

Sorry to say I never had the chance to try previous versions so I can't compare to those, but I may end up getting a bottle of this one.

ETA: I keep getting a persistent minty plastic sort of note...I can't tell if I like it or not. It smells a bit like almond cookies, but also like toothpaste. Snow White lasts for hours and hours on me, and the longer I wait the better it smells, but the first several hours are ruled by that strange note.

I'm going to keep my decant for now and keep testing...

Edited by maribouquet

In the bottle: a pleasent floral scent, not really my kinda thing.

On: Hmm, it's actually pretty good. I can smell more than just florals now, something a little coconutty, something a little frosty.

About five minutes later: Oh my god this is amazing! I'm really not one for florals, but I am a coconut person through and through and the two together is... is, words fail me! I love it. This one conjours crisp, untouched snow covering everything in a layer of beauty. (Oh, and I get nothing like Lush's Snowcake which to me smells like pure marzipan. A good thing, as I'm really not keen on Snowcake).

But it doesn't stop there! I first tried this just before bed at around 12.30pm. I woke up at 10.30am (hey, I'm ill and on annual leave!), and I can still smell it. I put some more on a few hours later, and hours after that it's still there! I've never come across something, BPAL or commercial, with such staying power. I'm astounded and converted and now very excited for my bottle of Rose Red that's winging its way to me.

Snow White will be hoarded!

Edited by Esmeria

This one is a basic white but dusky floral on me; not bad, but not something I would wear. I love coconut, but it doesn't come through on me enough to overcome the floral. However, this just might suit my daughter. If so, it would be the first BPAL that I have bought that would enable her. I will pass it along and see what she thinks.

ok, so- this is definitely "chilly and bright". unfortunately it's also just too damn light for me and smells really plasticky after a while. nooo thank you. which is too bad, because i really adore the label art.

Edited by porcelina

My decant is the new, 2007 Snow White.

The instant I breathed this in, I thought 'Play-Doh!'. On my skin it's exactly like a greenish-white, pale, minty Play-Doh! But see......I'm one of those freaks that likes the smell of Play-Doh (I even have the Demeter Play-Doh scent, which isn't very good but that's a whole other topic......), so this isn't a bad thing.

As it dries/warms up/starts to fade, I can smell other things. Soft, sweet, coconutty, cold.....somewhat fresh and a hint of floral......and the minty vanilla aspect reminds me a bit of Tokyo Stomp. This is a really pretty scent, I like it! However, as a guy, I really can't imagine wearing this anywhere out-and-about. It's somewhat girly. But for a comfort scent, I'll definitely keep my decant, because hey....it's Snow White!

Oh and I agree that it's really long lasting, although the throw is medium I would say. Stays close to my skin but lasts and lasts. I wonder how it would be in an oil burner? *ponders*

Edit: I wonder if there's a bit of a learning curve for Snow White. Well, for me there was! Not only does this no longer remind me of Play-Doh.....I like it more every time I wear it. And now, I feel like I'll be buying a bottle before they go bye-bye. This scent makes me think of milky white sap trickling from fresh cut flower stems, with a beautiful minty chill mixed in. It's really cold outside today, and I wore this, and just loved it. It goes perfectly with the chill in the air, but I imagine it's nice in hot weather too. Sorry for the long, rambling review but I just had to update this.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

At first whiff a note jumps out at me that is a little like Demeter's Angel Food Cake...except it's a little more pineapple upside down cake really, if you wanna get specific :P . Then I get a cold breeze and the scent of snow. This one doesn't morph too much for me from bottle to skin, and stays pretty true to the soft, slightly foody, snow scent. This has become one of my favorite winter scents, and I can't wait for it to start snowing because this scent would be truly complementary! Definitely getting me in the winter spirit! I'll be needing more of this real soon! 5/5

Snow White 2007

In the Bottle: Powdery soft, pillowy crystalline white vanilla, and faint traces of coconut powder.

Wet: Most BPAL blends that come with the lab’s “sweet snow” note often get compared to Snow White. And for good reason. It is s classic, if not quintessential powdery blend. Intentionally powdery scents, as I have since learnt, have a very full, complex body, and smell richer than failed skin chemistry. This one is creamy, faintly reminiscent of milky coconut snow, and carries more than just the impression of talcum powder. Delicate, lightly sweetened, but not so much that you could suggest any sort of sugar played part. The almond notes I got from this have COMPLETELY vanished, so have the "sterile" notes from when it was fresh. I don’t even detect them in the bottle. I can tell it must be there though, because the coconut note still has a lot more depth than just any plain coconut. There is also a light wispy air of gentle creamy white florals, and if I dare put two and two together, I feel like it might be almond blossom- because while it doesn’t smell specifically like almond, there’s a depth in there that suggests a floral almond (which doesn’t quite smell like the nut). It is an absolute favourite of mine now… I prefer this over my Chloe parfums.

Drydown: Sweet powdery almond blossom florals are more present now, the sweet snow note persists, and I LOVE this coconut-almond-blossom-like combination.. like this drydown is TDF. It’s so soft, faint, and barely detectable, but smells innocent, but expensive and classy. It’s one of my favourite (and only) ‘clean’ scents, probably because there is no trace of any linen, water, or cleaning product.

TL;DR: Gently sweetened, powdery clean coconut almond blossom

Edited by celestia

because i have multiple bottles, this is '07

if i remember correctly, this always smells the same on me, no matter how aged it is or what year it is from.

there's this cheap, oily air freshener spray at the carwash that my dad loved when i was little. it was either coconut or tropical coconut or something...

and that's what Snow White always smells like to me.

i hate coconut and pina coladas.

swapped an imp and then adopted the bottle out to a better home. not for me!

Sadly, for the first time ever, I understand what people mean when they talk about getting the "Play-Doh smell." In the bottle: Play-Doh. Wet: Play-Doh. Dry: somehow stronger Play-Doh.

Sad. I guess I'll stick to huffing my sniffie of Snow White 2005, and pass this along to someone with better skin than mine.

Wow. Wooooow. This is the first of the Yule blends I've tried so far that I simply MUST HAVE. I have been looking for the perfect 'night blooming flower' scent - and I have found a few with BPAL that I like, but don't LOVE. Oh Beth. Oh Beth. Why must this be an LE? I think that I will have to order a few bottles and hoard until it comes around again. It's simply stunning. It's floral, but also kind of minty and cool. If this is the BPAL snow accord people have been raving about, count me in as a fan.

Oh, I like this! It's such an unique scent that I had to ponder and sniff for a while before coming to that conclusion.

It starts out kind of funky wet, a bit plastic if you will, but that slowly fades as it dries down. Then it's both coconut and almond on me (or is that cherry?). I don't quite get the florals, but then I'm not very good at picking out those notes. I do get a bit of "chill" from this, but when I asked my spouse He said it was a very warm scent, and I get that TOO, so I guess it's quite complex.. It has an odd synthetic smell in the background the whole time, but it doesn't bother me.

Another bottle is already en route!

Edited by Grynet

Snow White 2007:

Not chilly but 'deep', overall strong floral scent enveloping something that smells like burnt plastic. It stays the same, from the imp and on the skin, no morphing for me except that it gets less 'deep' over time. I like the floral bits but i really don't like the plastic-ness.

Edited by sweetcoma

Snow White 2007-

(I wanted so much to like previous incarnations of this one but they all turn into burnt caramel plastic on me--not necessarily bad, but cloying after a while.)

In Bottle: Yummy almond milk with a tiny ozone note. (Smells a lot like previous incarnations.)

Wet: Aw, here comes the burnt caramel plastic. Darn. Well, I'll give it a chance to the dry-down.

Dry: Sigh, does the same thing. Almond milk but overwhelmed by burnt caramel plastic. Wish I could like this one!

Overall: A scent I wish worked for me.

There are SO MANY reviews of Snow White, it's obvious it's such a classic and well-loved Yule scent, so while it's not in my normal fragrance preference field, of course I had to sample it (thanks to a decant from the lovely Sookster).

Starting out in the imp and upon initial application, I found the comparisons to Dana O'Shee to be very, very accurate -- I get a lot of milky creaminess with almond and a hint of greenery. Where it diverges from Dana O'Shee (at least for me) is in the dry-down, when some sort of sharp floral rises up to the surface, where Dana gets more subdued.

After a while everything settles into a smell that is a lot like Angel Food cake with a milky glaze and coconut sprinkled on top. Something I'd like to eat, but it's not my style as a scent. However, I've just described a food that is white upon white upon white, so it's yet another excellent evocation of the concept. For anyone who loves foody smells with maybe a wee bit of floral floating around, it has to be a winner. (And I know it is already!)

IMP: minty plastic. uh oh :P

WET: minty plastic and playdoh :)

DRY: whoa, playdoh :D

Whenever I saw a review that said an oil smelled like playdoh, I always thought it meant "vaguely like playdoh." Now I know it means "exactly like playdoh."

Bummer. :D

Edited by Catmint

'07 Version

I was expecting something far less creamy with Snow White. I mean, it's a white scent, but in a milky sense - I don't smell any florals at all! :P

I'm not sure what's in here, but I am getting an almond milk/coconut milk base with a swirl of something aquatic (non-citrus aquatic, I must emphasize). It's like there's a drop of men's cologne in here...ozone, maybe?

I was expecting something so different from what Snow White is on me. It's foody, but still airy - The coconut-topped angel food cake comparison was pretty interesting, and I'll second that, valentina!

I hate almond, and I'm not a huge coconut fan these days, so I don't think SW is a keeper for me. Sad Face!! :D I just don't like it. So bummed.

It reminds me of Ralph Lauren Hot, to be quite honest. I hate it when scents don't work for me, I want to like every single one! I hope I can find a more appreciative home for this little princess, because she totally wants nothing to do with me.

Snow White 2007

Just as lovely as the 2005 version I already own. I'm so glad this was released again.

This smells almost exactly the same as my other bottle of Snow White 05, if a little more fresh. It's cold, but more like powdery snow than ice. The florals are gentle and pale. Everything is so light, with a underlying greenness.

I still think this is one of the prettiest fragrances I own, and I love wearing it.

2007 version:

So now I understand what all the fuss is about. This is very soft in the bottle but a few minutes after applying, it becomes quite strong with a lot of throw and shows no signs of fading. It starts off as a soft white floral but now, about an hour after applying, it has become this absolutely gorgeous scent that is indeed reminiscent of Lush's Snowcake but much better. I can't pick out individual notes because it's so perfectly blended together. On me, it's a creamy almond-y white floral, very soft and not green in the least and I don't get any ozone or mintiness. I truly can't even describe this scent except to say how much I love it. I do not get any playdoh or burnt rubber whatsoever.