Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

Wet: strange plastic sweet smell

Dry: The plastic smell completely disappears, fortunately. Leaving a scent that's so well blended that I have trouble picking out individual notes. Cold, sweet, complex, with a strong throw. Kind of like fruit, kind of like very light mint, kind of herby, definitely a little ozone. A lovely, haunting scent. But I'm afraid it just isn't "me", especially with such a strong throw.

On me, this is nothing but the strong scent of white trumpet lilies. It's a gorgeous scent, but on my skin it's a one note wonder.

This is the first oil I sniffed when I got my Yule order. According to my friend who was with me my reaction was priceless :D Yes, there was squeeage and lots of it :P

In the bottle - Its blended so beautifully I can't pick out any particular notes.

Wet - I smell vanilla, but its the soft vanilla I get from Dorian and a very faint whiff of berries.

Dry - The vanilla is a bit richer, the berries a bit stronger and there is another element I can't quite put my finger on. I don't get any coconut from it at all on my skin but I can smell a faint trace of it on my clothes after.

Not too much throw, it seems to sit close and envelop you in a warm, soft cocoon :D Its really beautiful and I am so glad I got this.

2005 Version

I STILL get a hell of a lot of Ivy on Snow White. I don't know if I'm imagining things or what, but it's real to me. Luckily, I love ivy, and I love snow white. I sold it off last year because it smelled...odd on me. Like no other bpal or perfume I've ever tried before. Slightly musky, slightly cold, and even...tangy? It felt unfamiliar and unpleasant.

However, a funny thing happened- Beth put up the yule LEs, I saw snow white listed, and I could breathe in and remember the blend as if I'd had a bottle right in front of me. That's how distinctive this scent is. I could remember it 10 months later with ease. Once that memory was triggered, I found myself craving it more and more. When i got the bottle in my hands, it was a revelation. I found that it was just as wonderful as I'd remembered- and that my skin likes Snow White much better this year!!

Woo-hoo! Long courtship, I guess :P

Snow white goes on cold and pure and clean, yet it's warming on the skin. There's a second-skin element that has to be the musk, but it's green. It's floral, but creamy -sweet, like milk. Frosty milk- like the smell of a vanilla milkshake when you can't smell the vanilla so much as the slush and dairy of the milk.

I'm keeping snow white, and ordering more bottles of her for all year. No matter what stage she's in, or how much I may like certain parts, the truth of the matter is that this scent is the most fascinating, mysterious, how-the-hell-did-Beth-do-that blend I've ever smelled. There is NO equivalent in the general catalouge that I can think of.

Order without hesitation. Go, go!

Wet, I smell vanilla and something a little floral but fruity - not sure exactly what.

Dry, I get a little vanilla but mostly a musly floral scent.

After a couple hours, it faded to just musk - very warm and clean.

I like this one a lot.

Snow White is the most unique scent I've ever smelled. Barely detectable in the bottle, its creamy and cool with a slight green note. Smooth coconut cream over this pale green note. This isnt your coconut and green as in Eden--Snow White is pure and innocent and wears as a second skin. More of a "white" scent. I can see why there are all the raves, and I'm so glad I am finally able to join in.

Now I swear I'm not nuts, but I smell scotch tape in this, and ya know what? I LOVE it! Coconut cream and scotch tape. Just sniffed a roll to confirm. That pale green scent is best described as that, but not in a chemical way. That's one of my favorite parts about Snow White. Love this stuff.

Snow White opens with a coconut marzipan scent.

The snow I'm getting is powdered vanilla sugar,... and Snow White seems to share some notes with Obsession, my skin latches on to the similarity and plays it up for several hours before drying out.

It's evoking a bittersweet emotion. Will have to try it again in a few days and see if my reaction changes.

The overall qualities I feel from this blend are subtle, smooth, round, and gently sweet. Snow White does not change much on me. It starts out with coconut and nut (it smells like hazelnut to me), and the aroma of crushed ivy stems. I have battled many ivy plants and this is definitely that smell! I never thought I would relish the scent of ivy, but I do. :P The ivy eventually fades, leaving a mild coconut/vanilla/nut smell. I don't smell musk like many other people do (which is good, since I often have problems with musk notes).

I will keep this imp for days when I want something subtle, pretty, and comforting. I think this would also be great in a body lotion since it is so unassuming.

ETA: My husband came home and told me I smell good, and I verified it was Snow White... so maybe I'll need to get a bottle of this, heehee. (It's rare for him to compliment BPAL, since he prefers my plain skin smell.)

Edited by amrita

Snow White is a BPAL classic, and if you've gotten this far in the thread and can't figure out why... well. this review won't help you! :P

basically more of the same, soft, round, mellow sweeness. creamy. nutty. and i will add in that it reminds me of Pieris japonica, a white flowering bush that flowers in early spring.

not much else to add. lovely.

a classic.

ETA: the BF says this is the one to wear to bed. and not the sleepy kind of bed either! :D

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

In the imp: Um. Not so sure about this. The vanilla-coconut ends up reading rather like Play-Doh to my nose.

On, wet: Less Play-Doh in aspect; creamy coconut. But not as COCONUT as Elegba; it's a softer, candied fragrance.

Drydown: It's got a similar vanilla characteristic as Black Opal, only without the vanilla, and blended with coconut as well.

It's a very pretty sweet scent, but the coconut just isn't doing it for me. Still, I'm glad I had a chance to try it out.

In the bottle: Something green, just cut,like herbs or grasses.

On wet: Calvin Klein's Obsession

Dry: Still Obsession

This never changes once it hits my skin. Not bad at all, just not me.

I think I'll let my sister try this one.

**EDIT** And now for something completley different....

I tried this again and have been wearing it for the past three days :P

OK FINE!, I am even seriously thinking I should get another bottle. Calvin is no longer around. I obviously was suffering from temporary insanity before. :D

Good thing I never handed it of to my sister.

Edited by Nox Eterna

Ok, so I know this is not exactly a unique review, because so many others have already added their thoughts here, but here goes:

Snow White is so amazing! Such an evocative concept scent... When I close my eyes and smell it on my wrist, I smell all the delicate, sweet notes that make it feminine and truly "snow white"; dewy fresh white flowers, smooth, sparkling white musk, milky white vanilla and creamy pale coconut. This one is so well-blended that it has a magical quality, elusively sweet, soft, warm and icy cold all at once. I adore it and will be very sad if it doesn't return next Yuletide! :P

Got this one for my sister... but it's Snow White, I mean come on, I had to try it, didn't I?

In the Imp: Pineapple! And pine and coconut and musk and maybe vanilla and maaaaybe almond. Some unidentified floral, too. It's very soft, but still strong. Mmmmmmm.... I want to drink it.

Wet: Almond! Pineapple! Playdough! Godsdammit! Oh yeah. Playdough. Playdoughy mess, even. I'll wait 'till the drydown to see if that fixes it, but if not.... I'm going to be a sad Widget. I know this wasn't for me, but I really wanted to smell the fabulousness.

Dry: Oh, hallelujah! It's a Christmas miracle. This is much, much less playdoughy on me now-- it's still there a bit, but if I aged the bottle a little, I suspected it'd tone down even further, if not vanish. Now I'm getting something both cold and sweetly fruity.... like eating angel cakes (doughnuts with slices of pineapple between them, wrapped up in foil and warmed in the coals of a fire) in a snowy forest. The lilies make this very maidenly. Perfect for a dark-haired, delicately built beauty...

The verdict: Delicious, and, I think, perfect for my sister. If it goes wonky on her, I'll tell her to shove it in a cupboard for a month or two, and then try again.

In the Imp: Very faint smell of sweet, pine-tinged snow. Incredibly pretty - I can't wait to try it out!

On Wet: Uh-oh...I'm getting flashes of that burnt plastic/chemical scent that others have mentioned, and prepare myself for disappointment. Will this be my first bout with wonky skin chemistry?

Drydown: Thank goodness - that horrible burnt smell completely dissipates after only a few seconds! I'm finally getting exactly what I smelled in the vial - delicate, creamy sweetness, tinged with a hint of fresh pine. Though aside from an undercurrent of vanilla and that smudge of greenery, I don't get any specific notes from this blend - no coconut, almondy marzipan, or pina colada. Not that I'm complaining, mind you - it's delicious just the way it is. It's both subtle and complex, and my nose is delighted. I can't stop sniffing myself!

Overall: Snow White is a totally gorgeous fragrance, and a nice departure from my usual spicy preferences. I'll definitely be ordering a bottle (or two :P ) before the Yules go away.

In the bottle: Pineapple, white flowers, herbs and snow... a little coconut. It's round and creamy and cold... but warm and comforting at the same time. Like a blanket of snow.

Wet, on skin: Crap! Powder and baby wipes! :D I never thought I'd say this... And it has a lot of throw... It didn't completely morph into baby wipes, though. It's like a fight between the powder and the wonderful blend I could smell in the bottle... And the yummy creaminess can't keep up.

Dry: The baby wipe smell is much more tame, but it's still there. Amazing staying power, I could still smell it after washing and scrubbing my wrists.

Sigh...:P There's still hope, though. Maybe if I leave it alone for a few months, the good smell will have the time to kick the bad smell's butt.

ETA: Still the same. I have never tried another blend with this much throw. And this scent, even on someone else, makes my eyes water although it smells good :D.

Edited by Merlu

Round and white....not sure about this one. It is ok in the bottle but might be a little too soft for me. I will see.

Perhaps letting it age will do something.

What a crappy review.

I was expecting this to be light and pretty. And it is.... but....

This is not the smell of the character "Snow White". This is the smell of the entire tale.

In the bottle it is soft and pretty. Ah, so innocent.

And dabbed on, it was delicate, creamy and faint. So I slathered.... and there's the wicked queen.

Suddenly, this was sweet and evil. Still creamy, light - but also something strong was smothering all the delicate snowy notes.

And what have we here? The sharp tanginess of a poisoned apple?

This had tons of throw, and was slightly malevolent. I put on far too much and went to bed - and woke up in the middle of the night feeling suffocated. Multiple washings toned Snow White down, but did not kill it (hmm, is this perhaps Neil Gaiman's Snow White? I should have used holy water.)

In the moring, Snow White was still there. Back to being creamy and white.

This had major staying power, more throw than most, and I would suggest a light application. The tangy sharp note is very similar to Eden.

Very nice, very unexpected.

This is my absolute favorite BPAL!!!

The notes that stand out on me are vanilla and coconut, with a hint of mint. It's the only BPAL my husband has ever commented on (in a positive way!)

The staying power is amazing! I can still smell it lingering 8-10 hours later!!!

I have 5 bottles on order, and I'm sure that when that's gone I'll cry!

In 2004 I bought one bottle of Snow White only to find that I loved it to death. The smell went wonderfully with a Los Angeles summer with the faint hint of coconut (which I later learned is likely the lily musk).

Again in 2005 I ordered Snow White, yet went for two bottles. Rather than wait awhile I put it on immediately this morning. unlike previous versions of Snow White, I find the coconut smell fainter in the 2005 edition- instead the vanilla scent stands strong. However. . .my experience with last year's version of Snow White has shown that the coconut tonality matures with age, so I definately will be aging the second bottle such that I can test the effect.

(ps- even though the 2005 versions tends more toward the vanilla it still smells fab between the boobies!)

It's pure cold coconut on me...alas, I was hoping for more snow and white florals and cold air. A ton of throw for such a light scent, though. Coconut is not really my thing, but I got a 5ml based on the description, which was lovely. :P Well, it's not as if I don't have practically every cold/white floral/ozone/aquatic bpal makes, so I guess I can make do without a Snow White floral...if I sell it, it's just more scents to buy!

Edited by Redon

Last June I got my hands on an imp of Snow White. I immediately loved the scent, but felt like it was turning gross-metallic-plastic, so I sold it the very next day.

I have since regretted it.

Back then, my nose was totally unsophisticated, and I had no idea how to appreciate it. Worse, Snow White began to haunt me. I would get phantom whiffs of it, even when there was nothing at all to smell in the air around me. This went on for months.

So I got a decant this year when it came back. And I have the biggest smile in the world on my face right now.

It still smells a bit metallic. But I realize now it's an icy, chilly scent. I can't properly review this, because what I get from this is simple -- snow, cream, and apples -- except that none of those notes are even listed. This is an incredibly personal, evocative scent for me, and I'll be ordering two bottles the moment I have the Christmas money. I'm just so happy it's come back to me. :P

Edited by sophia_helix

I've heard such good things about Snow White and so I knew I had to try it.

Sniffing the imp, it was totally pina colada. Coconut, pineapple, reminded me a lot of my trip to Florida last winter. :P On me, it was mostly coconut, but very very faint and pale. Even though I thought I was very fairly liberal with my application, I could barely sniff anything after an hour.

Overall, I liked it, I really did, but I prefer a scent with some more Oomph and staying power.

Reviewed the 2004 before -- this is pretty much identical!

I'm just posting a new review because they're from different years and I again have to say that it's pretty much a succulent crisp green stem/lily pollen scent to me. I can catch a glimpse of what I take to be the plasticky note at first, but fortunately it doesn't develop like that on me, or maybe I've just decided to ignore that and concentrate on the part that I like! :P

I also wanted to mention that there is still nothing particularly creamy or coconutty about Snow White to me, personally. I feel very sick whenever I smell coconut, but I don't get that feeling from Snow White though there's certainly a...white sweetness about this. That doesn't mean I'm not insane, that's just the way my nose happens to interpret this scent. It's a succulent, crisp, refreshing white lily/green ivy, without smelling like a typical "floral." Really unique.

Anyway, if you're like me and avoided this scent like the plague because of the coconut/vanilla/creamy comparisons, then try it thinking about crushed lily stems and a light dusting of pollen and it might influence your experience! I agree with the reviews that mention ivy as well. Very very fresh, crisp, sweet white with a touch of greenery and a whisper of palest yellow. As it dries I do get some of the gentle, warm sweetness of what might be vanilla but this would definitely be in the column of vanilla that I can stand (we're up to...five possible vanillas that I can stand now!)

In the bottle: Vanilla coconut with a slightly chilly undertone.

On the skin: That chilly undertone has become a lot more prominent -- not enough to overwhelm the warmth and sweetness of the vanilla and coconut, but enough to let you know it's there.

This one's a keeper!

Snow White 05

In the imp: very similar to last year's gorgeous sweet-fresh snowy goodness. I can see where people get 'pina colada' from, there's definitely coconut here, but the fruit note is more like apple than pineapple to me-like a crisp green apple. (well, it isn't surprising that an apple note would be in a blend named after a fairytale character who had issues with poisoned ones!)

Wet on skin: soft, sweet, crisp and slightly fruity and green, similar to last year, but without the 'burning rubber' scent I got last time.

Dry on skin: there's a sharp green note now, but offset by that gorgeous creamy sweet background that I love, like a carpet of freshly fallen snow. I'm hoping the green note fades away because I love the creamy scent I get here-it's more foody and sweet than last year's, I think.

After a while: the green note retreats, letting that lovely white scent through. There's a spike of something a bit sharp and crisp, but it's not as strong now, the scent is now smooth and gentle. I'm thinking vanilla, coconut, green apple, a little bit of icy aquatic (ie, the snow itself), maybe some pine or another evergreen, possibly white florals, and that elusive and legendary lily musk are what I can smell.

This beautiful downy creamy white scent gets even better as time passes, before eventually turning into the marshmallow scent I love so much.

Verdict: this is pretty similar to last year's, except that this one doesn't have the 'burnt rubber' scent last year's had when wet. This version also has a sharp green spike of scent with fringes of smooth creamy white sweetness on either side. This spike of scent brings to mind an icicle, which is a very fitting image for this scent! The scent conjures an image of a soft coating of snow on the roof with icicles hanging down. The drydown is, like last year's, gorgeous and fluffy and sweet, like plump white marshmallows. This is one of BPAL's classics, a lovely scent that I am pleased to have a bottle of.