Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

After so many excellent reviews of Snow White, I only have one thing to contribute...

Snow White reminds me of Le Must du Cartier, but it is better because it isn't synthetic. This is what Cartier should have paid his perfumer to make. It is so much less astringent, less Windex-like and brings out the limit with coconut and whatever else is in there. If you put your nose right down on it, you get the smell of full bore hyacinth, take your nose away and it's Le Must but better.

This is one of the most beautiful and inventive scents anyone every made up. God how I wish that Beth would bring it back as a permanent addition to the catalogs.

An unexpected swap with a friend; the label is homemade, so I don't know what year the decant is from.

In the bottle

Sweet , with a hint of fruit. It's like almonds, vanilla cream, and crisp green apples. It's really delicious and creamy. Mm.

Wet:

The almond smells more like coconut now, and the fruit is sharper and more tangy. But...there's some bizarre metallic/dirty scent underneath, which I hope is just my cheap leather watchband. Ugh, it's like tires burning!

Drydown:

Waaaah, it's awful. All I get is a memory of sweetness and something like dirty apples, bitter and sour, along with a metallic scent that makes me think of eating ice cubes out of a metal tray. Blech!

Okay, after a few hours of sniffing, the bad smell goes away, and I get sweet vanilla/coconut again -- but it's sort of sickly and faint, nothing like in the bottle.

And then I get plastic. The smell has gone from a soft creamy white to flat grey, like dirty snow by the side of the road in March or something.

It smells heavenly when it isn't on my skin, but I guess I'll have to pass it on for someone else to love. I've never had a scent go from so delicious to so horrible so quickly. :P

Snow White is everything I'd hoped Milk and/or Chaste Moon would be. It's soft and creamy, comforting and full of vanilla, warming in the cold and cooling in the heat. I love love love it.

2004 Version

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in one word: Snow!

In the bottle: Cold, frozen flowers in the snow.

On skin, wet: Soft and mildly sweet. I can't pick out a single note from this, but they're all wonderful.

On skin, dry: Frozen flowers, snow, and what vaguely reminds me of coconut and vanilla, respectively.

Conclusion: I can't begin to describe this, other than to say: absolute and total love. I've since acquired bottles of the 2005 and 2007 releases of SW, and I can't notice any difference between the three that I don't attribute to age.

Edited by Aredhel

Well, I had my first experience of the "dirty dishwater" syndrome.

As much as I love standing outdoors on a winter night of new snow and ice and just breathing, I hoped this oil would be a little bit of heaven.

In the bottle, I didn't get a strong impression at all. An airy scent with a touch of sweet, but nothing of the cripsness or chill.

Wet on me, the airy morphed into what I imagine ozone might be like. It was acrid, sharp, and unpleasant. I couldn't make out the undertones at all.

The acrid calmed slightly on drydown, but persisted. If I held my wrist to my nose and took a very long breath, just at the end I might get a hint of sweetness, a tantalizing taste of holidays and good cheer.

Definitely not for me. This decant will go into the swap pile.

Snow White is amazing. A scrumptious creation that smells of marzipan, coconut and vanilla on my skin...and underneath, the fresh, cold scent of snow and a tiny touch of greenery. It really does smell like the outdoors to me.

I was gifted with a nearly-full 5ml, and I'm going to absolutely love wearing this perfume at Yuletide and all year long.

Beautiful

Delicious, creamy coconut, with a delicate, green-tinged musk underlying it. It is comforting, luminous, luxurious, with an edge of ice. It is one of the most distinctive BPAL blends, and extremely persistent. One of my favorites.

Edited by maewitch

I too will add my sentiments of hope that this becomes available again. It's a wonderful scent.

In the imp I get something... it's either asian pears and white grape or green apples, or it's white grape and paperwhites.

On the skin I get the same, clean and fresh without being fruity or foody. This is what I should smell like after using a good unscented soap one would think.

It's a nice crisp and cool scent, but not cold. A yellow-green scent, if scents can be colors. After many hours I get a very slight milk scent, like being in the room with someone who just poured a glass of milk whilst eating a pear in a room with paperwhites.

Stays pretty true the whole way through. Absolutely lovely.

From the bottle: it's very light. i can smell some flower in there, but can't figure it out. maybe some lillies? i can definately smell some leaves in there too or a freshly cut stem. it's nice.

On me: i know what they mean by the "faintest breath". lol its nice. very green leaf scented. i do think still lillies. it's like floral, but not over powering. and not floral at all. does that make sense?

Two hours later: COCONUT! omg. the nice flowery smell i can't think of is still there, but it's most definately coconut. i wore it to sleep, woke up this morning smelling coconuts. it was WONDERFUL!

In Bottle (Imp): Coconut and vanilla a touch of white flowers in the back. Its a bit like the coconut ice cream I had a a Thai restaruant yesterday all ice and yummy

On wet: the first scent I get is that coconut followed closely by the vanilla. Uh-oh its disappearing super fast and leaving only a soft plasticy scent :P

Drydown: Unlike others the plastic scent is trying to mellow and give me back the coconut possibly the vanilla but the flowers vanished and then when I give up all hope I get almost the excact scent from the bottle. Icy white scents, subtle and beautifully fem.

Overall: I am very shocked how this has taken to me, it flows in its strenght from next to nothing on to much stronger and the plastic smell also comes and goes. This scent thankfully skips its negative point so fast on me I so can move past it, its really pretty.

I adore Snow White.

I received an imp from ivyandpeony, but was afraid to try it and fall completely in love. I would just take the imp out every now and then and give it a sniff. It was so gorgeous - crisp and sweet, and just the tiniest bit fruity.

I finally gave in, and tried it out. I am a goner. This smells exactly like the imp on my skin - crisp, sweet, a little fruity, and just the tiniest hint of something floral. I just keep thinking of frost covered berries and flowers. There is also a hint of vanilla that comes out in the later stages of wear.

This was surprisingly strong, and had a lot of throw. I can still smell it fourteen hours after application.

This is so gorgeous. I hope the the Lab brings it back at some point.

This is my sweetie's, but I diecided to try it...I got vanilla, slight coconut, and a cool, crisp, airy scent. It literally smells cold and white. Very nice. And I simply ADORE this on my sweetie too. :P

Oh. My. God. I'm completely shocked by how much I love this.

:P :D :D

It smells like the most unique and beautiful blend of juicy green apples, vanilla, and creamed coconut. I want to eat my wrist.

The staying power for this isn't much on me, only lasting strongly for about an hour. I only have half an imp and an empty bottle of this (swaps and purchases from lovely forumites). I think I'll start putting in prayers that it is re-released. I need at least a dozen bottles to slather on.

Looove...

i get crisp, white florals and coconuts upon application...... :D

not a bad thing....but once that dadburned coconut bellies its way to the forefront

it turns all burnt rubbery with my chemistry ....

boooooooo :D

i so want a coconut scent from the lab that will work with my chemistry.....

:D ah....the quest continues :P

I begged, borrowed and bled to get an imp of this. (Oh, alright, I bought it on Ebay.)

A previous reviewer called it "crystalline". What a perfect word to describe this fragrance. It is bright, reminds me of blinding snow when the sun is shining on it. But it isn't "cold" to my nose. It's definitely a winter fragrance, very subtle, but longlasting. (6 hours later and I can still smell it) Originally it smelled a tiny bit plasticy on my skin, but that gave way quickly to very subtle flowers, so subtle I can't identify them. They smell white. They are light and very lovely.

On the drydown, this smells slightly vanilla-y on me, but not a buttery vanilla, a nice true creamy vanilla. But I wouldn't categorize it as a vanilla fragrance. It is a bit of an enigma, but I really like it. My next step is to hunt down a 5ml.

Edited by oceandreamer001

Thanks to Joseybird who so kindly sent me a few drops, I've finally had a chance to try this.

In the bottle: Creamy and cool, like peppermint and milk brewed with some soft florals.

First on: Mmmmmm (I LOVE winter scents). It's the same as in the bottle, very soft, creamy and cool.

After a bit: This reminds me (and this is going to be hard to explain) of the inside of a dead tree branch in the winter. When the wood has gone to soft pulp but is dry.

Anyone want to part with some :P

I received a half-imp of the 2003 version in a swap recently.

Alas, there's not too much I can say about it - it smells creamy and cold on first application, but it's very, very, VERY faint on me... and within half an hour it had vanished entirely.

Wow - this was not at all what I was expecting.

It's a little hard to explain, but it not really a soft note - but it is airy - like snow itself. There is just a touch of forest in this, but it is mostly snow. There is something else underneath it. I can't quite figure it out. I wanna dig up the snow and find it, but I can't.

So finally - it's soft, airy, cool, snowy scent. I like it, but it isn't for me.

Wow, I was expecting this one to be a bit more floral than it actually is.

This is such a gorgeous blend! :P Snow White has a sweet, creamy, delicate scent to it.

It's amazing, this actually smells, chilly and cold with a warm, breath of flowers (without being floral...if that makes sense) and something sugary and sweet. This is exactly as I'd imagine SNow White to smell.

Final verdict..this one sould be a regular scent and not an LE. I'm in love with this and really hope on getting my hands on a larger bottle sometime in the future.

Please bring Snow White back! :D

I managed to snag an imp of Snow White 03.

Bottle: I got an apple/light floral scent. Very sweet and crisp, but light.

On Skin: I got a very weird metallic scent. Like a poisoned Apple. Not bad, just a very odd apple-like scent. The throw is subtle, but there. After awhile, it began to smell like apple/cinammon/light forest scent.

Burner: Takes awhile to appear, but when it does, it becomes a very beautiful apple tea/cobbler/cider-like scent. Like it a lot here.

Reminded me of Empyreal Myst, only more subtle. I like this scent and might consider it should it ever be available again. 7/10.

My Impression:

Wow this is so regal. It seems like all of the most beautiful blends get discontinued. This is one I would buy if they decided to bring it back.

The lightest of florals, and such sweet almost powdery type of scent but not TOO much powder it is just right. My scale of 1-5 ...5+

My first review is going to be for my favorite scent thus far: Snow White

There have been so many wonderful review so far, that I do not know what I can possibly add; but, here it goes:

In the bottle: First impression - kind of reminds me of playdough :D

Wet on my skin: Still reminds me of playdough :D

Dry down: I am in love :P What a soft, creamy, cool, airy, soft vanilla, coconut, with maybe a touch of floral blend that is gorgeous!! DH loves this on me and so do I. By far my favorite scent thus far. And, it doesn't give me a headache. A definite score for me!! :D

On a scale from 1-5 with 5 being the best: 5 :D

Mm.. sweet and creamy.. a little bit of vanilla, a dash of coconut, and a handful of powdered sugar. This is so light and fluffy...the way clouds should smell.

You know, it also sort of reminds of the way the top of a baby's head smells after being bathed. Clean but sweet and powdery in a musky way. This is a beautifully nostalgic perfume. I love it and am so glad I had the chance to try it out. Hope it gets re-released this year.

I managed to get an imp of this on the forum. I wasn't dying to try it, but when I got a chance to get it, I did.

In the imp this has an odd smell to me, not bad I just can't place it. There's a sweetness here, and then, the oddness.

When it hits my skin the sweetness intensifies, but only slightly, and the oddness resolves itself into the smell of snow. I can't even believe it, and I keep sniffing just to verify what I'm smelling. It's the smell of freshly fallen powder, a sniff of cool florals, very light musk, and wayyy in the background, there's a faint touch of vanilla. Not sweet, but powdery, and cool.

As it dries, the snow note seems to stay remarkably true. This definitely reminds me of smelling cold air on a clear winter night with snow on the ground. It's not exactly that smell but it gives me that feeling. It's gorgeous. Every time I wear it, I can't stop sniffing my wrist. I'm not sure what it is about this scent that attracts me so, I can't really tease the individual notes apart to describe them but the whole is harmonius and so subtle and refreshing.

This is :P I'm so glad they released it again this year so that I can get enough to wear it whenever I'm in the mood, which will probably be all winter.

I snagged a bottle of this from the lab via Ebay, so I'm pretty certain it's the '04 version. And I'm so very happy to see that it's been rereleased this year as well.

In the bottle: Creamy florals. A very light scent with maybe a hint of mint to it.

On my skin: Green and milky. It's so *interesting*. I keep sniffing my arm because I can't quite pick out what's making me like it so much. That's not a bad thing of course, but it's definitely keeping me from doing much else.

Verdict: This is a definite winner. I'm so glad I got to try it and I'm so glad I'm going to get the opportunity to buy a couple more bottles before it disappears again for another year. :P