Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

Oh Snow White! I wanted us to get along because I love Snow White and you are very popular! But alas it wasn't love. I do like it but here's what happen...

In the bottle: a pretty soft sweet snow scent

On the skin: It starts out sweet and pretty and soft but then the flower note comes in and kinda ruins it. I'm not a big floral fan. There's only a couple florals that work for me and this one isn't. It's powdery and and too green or maybe ozoney. But underneath and close to my skin is a sweet soft scent that I like.

Drydown: The flowers calm down and then the scent kinda disapears on me. I'm so sad. I do think I would give this scent another try though. Maybe different years have different outcomes. So even though it didn't really work it wasn't a bad scent just not the sweet snowy coconut scent everyone raves about! That's what I wanted!!

I'm wearing the 2008 version today. Bought from Etsy store. This is softly sweet with just a hint of flowers. There's a "snow" feel, but more the feel of it being soft and fluffy, not so much the cold feel (which I was afraid of). This is very, very close to the skin, but I really like it!

2012 version:

In the bottle, Snow White is very creamy and sweet. It smells like an almondy-coconut with some flowers in the background (though none I can identify -- it's just kind of florally sweet-smelling).

On my skin, it smells a lot like the lab's tonka accord (which I just tested in its single note form). There's more almond, though, which gives it an almost cookie-ish scent, though I wouldn't go as far as to call it foody. If I put my nose right up to my skin, there's a kind of plasticy smell at this point, though I don't really experience it in any wafts of scent I get when holding my arm at a normal length.

A bit of an ozoney cool air note comes out more as it dries. The distinct almond from the wet stage is gone, but it still has an overall creamy feeling. This is a well-blended scent overall. I find it to be really soft and gentle, and not really confined to winter at all. It's not one of my absolute favorites but I do enjoy it and am glad to have a bottle when the mood strikes.

Edited by sunlitgarden

A sweet floral in the bottle, but it goes downhill from there. It smells like the stamen part of a lily: dusty and a little sour. There's some sickly sweet lemon candy going on, but the whole thing is a disappointment. (2014 decant)

2015 Yule, bottle

In the bottle, it smells a lot like Midwinter's Eve, but less sweet. On, it has the winter, powderyness of Midwinter's Eve, but less sugary fruit and more floral. I like it, and while it is faint on my wrists, I can smell it around me. But not quite "the" winter scent for me.

Revision: 12/31/15

I wore it again yesterday, and slathered on a bit more, but man, it's just too sweet for me. This is going to have to go to my future swaps box.

Edited by freyasfae

2015 version.

A classic!

This one is less floral than my other bottle (2008 version), and it verges on plasticky on me, but luckily just avoids it :smile:

The snow is the usually sweet, slightly coconutty kind with a teensy bit of flowers in the background, but I would in no way characterize the scent as a floral. It's just a kind of atmosphere.

The throw is really good and it lasts a long time on me.

2013 version:

This one is a scent locket perfume for me. In the imp and wet on my skin this smells like gorgeous creamy soft peaches and coconut with a tiny hint of ozone. I get no florals at all, just lovely ripe sweet fruit. As it dries the ozone just amps and amps until I smell like burning electrical wiring which is just my skin chemistry unfortunately. I really wish I could pull this off on my skin because it's such a beautifully soft yet fresh scent, but it remains absolutely wonderful in my scent locket so swings and roundabouts!

Edit: ok, I have to completely eat my words about this one. Somehow, it is now working gloriously on my skin and I am IN LOVE. I haven't seen anyone else mention peaches, but this is such a strong, juicy fresh peach scent to me. Not like a foodie, pie peach, but like a refreshing cocktail made with fresh peach pulp, coconut juice and a really strong vodka. Even though this is ostensibly a winter scent, it is working so well as humid, summer perfume.

This is on par with Snake Oil for me in terms of silage and longevity.

Edited by lexyOZ

I have discovered this year that I actually don't hate everything with "snow" in it, in fact I sometimes really like it! So I am trying Snow White for the very first time this year! Kind of excited about it.

Wet: I get a coconutty vibe from this!! Wow, wasn't expecting that! Interesting! I don't actually know what I was really expecting, but this isn't it. The coconut fades a bit, but doesn't disappear, and now I am getting some sort of slightly tropical flower. It's a little odd smelling on me, not gonna lie. It's starting to smell like burning. I don't think this is working too well on me, but I'll let it dry and see. Sometimes things "recover" once they settle.

Dry: Wow, once this settles it's friggin lovely. I don't know how the heck I missed the fact that tons of people get coconut out of this (I am a coconut fiend) if I had realized that I would not have waited so long (only 10 years....) to try this! This is so nice. It's almost more of a coconut water note - like frozen coconut water. Different than any coconut I have in my collection. The florals are lovely too once they settle, but I can't really identify them. I know this is a Yule, but I am buying a bottle and wearing it all Spring. So there.

I snagged a decant of the 2015 release. Based on the description, I was expecting a cool, crisp floral. Unfortunately, on my skin it's quite the opposite of 'chilly and bright' as BPAL promises. I've seen other reviewers mention cake, vanilla and coconut, and that's what I get - a warm, vanilla-and-almond-y scent that's reminiscent of fresh baked goods. It reminds me a little of sitting indoors, smelling something delicious baking in the oven while the snow falls outside. It paints a great picture! The wear and throw are both quite good on this one. Unfortunately, it's quite a sweet scent on me, which I don't prefer, and quite the opposite of what I expected from the scent. Another for the swap pile.

Edited by tealeaves

I wanted to love it but I really didn't :( I mean, it's a good perfume, and unlike anything I had ever smelled but it wasn't -amazing-

It smells a bit heavy and cloying for a fresh scent, and I was expecting more florals from previous reviews. Oh well.

Of all my Yule decants I was most excited about Snow White. Everyone had raved about how amazing the previous years were.

Unfortunately, all I get from smelling amy imp after applying to my skin is plastic. Plastic enough to give me a headache and want to immediately wash it off. It does have in the initial stages a slightly wintery scent (no coconut/vanilla at all) but is so overpowered by the plastic that it doesn't really matter.

I'm going to keep my decant though and tuck it away for a few months and retest. *fingers crossed*

This was my 2009 review. My tastes have changed, as has my body chem, so I thought I'd try it again.

Sadly 2015 is still as plasticky in the vial as it is on my skin. I think I have a nose blind spot when it comes to this perfume, because all I smell is plastic doll, with a leeetttlllee bit of vanilla. I should also make note that I often have difficulties with vanilla notes in general, often getting some plastic on the drydown.

I'm glad I tried it again to satisfy my curiosity and I'll pass the decant on as frimp so it can find a new home.

Reminds me so much of how Obsession for Women smells (specifically on my aunt)! I find it hard to pinpoint any specific smells. I wouldn't describe snow, flowers, or plastic. I find this very enjoyable, though. It's not overly floral, not overly spicy, or overpowering. Just a nice, somewhat sensuous smell.

Agree with a previous poster that this smells like the part of the lily that isn't pleasant. It's not bad but I get no freshness or coolness that I was hoping for.

'09 Version. I'm not really getting anything chilly or winter-y... maybe the cozyness of winter, that I get. It's a creamy vanilla, almost (dim) sugary scent, with a bit of unidentifiable flowers in the background. I'm getting a tiiiiny bit of caramel but maybe that's just me. It's really cute but other then that my brain can't really seem to figure out what to make of it.

Edited by Cali

Ok so right on application I mostly get vanilla. A lot of reviews I read found this to have a chilly, wintery snow feeling, but for me it's actually warm and snuggly, like sitting inside wrapped up in a cream-toned fleece blanket on drizzly day. I don't get much of the complexities of the scent described in other reviews though. My chemistry really seems to amp vanilla, particularly if it's paired with really light notes, so this basically ends up just purely sweet, innocent vanilla on me. Ok well the flowers eventually appear. Softly. Just a little on the background. I think there's a slight light musk as well. No pineapple, almond, cake, or snow. This scent is baby-soft, but not powdery. It's almost like the texture of fluffy snow without the chill. The throw is subtle but there. It's not very strong. As far as light, sweet scents go, I think Alice is by far still my favorite. Although I'm happy I got to try this since everyone raves about it, I don't think it's quite my style. It's very pretty. Just a little soft for my taste.

This for the 2015 version.

In the bottle: Soft sweet vanilla, w/ hints of snow and florals underneath.

Wet: Much as on cold sniff, but with a trace of coconut.

The dry-down: Much the same throughout. A lovely version, but tends to fades faster than I would like,

Snow White 2008

Alas, I'm in the coconut/almond/vanilla/play doh camp and it's my nose not my skin as that's all I get from the bottle too. I keep hoping for some of the light, crisp floral or green-ness to peek through but it just ain't happening.

It's still a pleasant scent and I wouldn't mind smelling of it but if it was a candle I probably wouldn't buy it. There is definitely layering potential there just haven't quite found the combination yet. Maybe something fresh and apple-y?

Edit: Will keep on trying this as it smells quite a lot like my virgin coconut oil shampoo which hubby complimented the scent of (unsolicited, remarkably). It's clean, cosy and inoffensive so perhaps it will make a good work scent after all. Will try slathering it tomorrow and see what our mini heatwave makes of it as snow would feel very welcome indeed.

Update: I dutifully slathered this all over in the 33°C heat today (don't laugh, that's oven temp for a wussy Brit) and it's fabulous! The light, crunchy coconut feels both cooling and tropical and no one can complain about your perfume as it could easily be super expensive suntan lotion.

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

Just got Snow White a couple of months ago based on reviews and recommendations. I didn't like it at all. Now it has aged a bit and I still don't care for it as a perfume. To me it smells just like play doh, nothing else. I even asked my husband last night what it smelled like to him and he said play doh. Not for me. I get no mint or coolness at all. I will let it sit and smell it again in a few months.

2015:

In the bottle, and wet, there is something that smells overly green. Which is a polite way of putting it. I was so sad, because I love some of the older versions of Snow White.

The dry down goes through some awkward, overpowering off stages as well.

But once dry it is indescribably beautiful, and hard to believe it is the same perfume ... sweet, soft floral. I may keep this one yet, and see what aging does to the yuck wet stage.

This is the first time trying the 2015 version, so it's had a few months to age and settle.

In the bottle - Soft warm vanilla and babies. So snuggly!

Wet - Vanilla marshmallows and... something. It's the snow scent I'm guessing, but it's so hard to describe! Children's scented toys from the 80s, a dash of coconut and almond, and snow. Not cold, but like looking out at the snow falling whilst you're wrapped up in a soft cream jumper inside. And there's something else, possibly the floral, that just gives it this magical quality, almost like you're out in the snow at night, under the light of the moon, but totally untouched by the cold.

This barely morphs and has good throw. Hopefully it will last a good while as well, because it's amazingly beautiful. SO happy I decided to get a bottle!

2016:

Creamy sweet, vanilla-coconut snow. I can't tell what these flowers are, but I love them. Fluffy, sweet, and snuggly. Great throw on me!

Edited by roseus

2013 version, original owner/bottle

When I first got this bottle, after already having a bottle of 2011 that was mostly full (priorities, I know), I said in my scent spreadsheet that this was:

So cold! How one can manage to bottle the scent of cold just amazes me, but this perfume smells like fresh cold snow. It’s beautiful and feminine. A little sweetness, but mostly smooth, chilly, freshly fallen snow.
Feminine, winter, chill.
Three years later, it still holds. Beautiful blend. A classic.
Edit for text style
Edited by gloame

Creamy, sweet, coconut snow! Love it! But alas it does the snow note thing that Pink Snowballs does, in 20 min it becomes dusty plastic with a coconut undertone. I think this is going to be a scent locket scent for me.

I got to sample this with my friend as one of her decants.

On the wand, this smells to me like sweet coconut flowers, with a faint vinyl scent that seems to come from some snow/coldness notes for me.

The first impression on my skin is of sweet, creamy white coconut, flowers, and a little cold vinyl that reminds me of when I sampled a 2007 Rose Red. Each time I try to enjoy the floral coconut, vinyl wafts all over all the things. A pervasive artificiality, sometimes bordering on suntan lotion. It has a good longevity on me, though.

Neither my friend nor I felt this one worked for us.

I love this in the decant - chilly coconut flowers! What could be better than that?

But once on it is a little bit of floral and a whole lot of vinyl doll head. It is very nostalgic in a weird way because it really does smell like the dolls I played with as a child. I wore it for 4 hours and it faded down into a soft vinyl skin scent (if such a thing is possible) before disappearing.

Sad Snow White didn't work on me, but that's how it goes. I did always like Rose Red better in the fairytale anyways.