Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

I think this is the most innocent BPAL scent I've tried thus far; maybe that's because I tend to go for dark, musky, spicy scents, but this was really something different. It's very clean, soft, and feminine, innocent without ever seeming immature. I can see where the connection to winter and Snow White comes from. It also has a lot more throw and staying power than I would have expected for such a light scent -- it lasted pretty much all day on me.

Review for the 2008 version:

I bought this scent because one of my dear friends always refers to me as "Snow White," which brings me so much joy. So I kinda had to get a bottle, even unsniffed.

Wow...so this one is definitely a kooky bird! Like others have indicated, I can't quite figure out if I love it or hate it! But it's compelling, and I slathered myself in it twice today. Hmmm... I totally understand why some people get a play-dough vibe, but perhaps that image comes to mind because of all the previous reviews. There certainly is a strange, artificial note underlying all the prettiness, but it doesn't ruin the scent for me.

So on to the good news: I happened to be wearing today when I was walking through cool misty air, at twilight, after a downpour. Snow White was somewhat perfect for the occasion, as it has a delicate, sparkling, ethereal quality to it. Perhaps this could be my rainy day scent?

However, I did ask hubby his opinion, and I was a bit surprised to hear that it reminded him of "dirt." :huh?: Granted, he's been on the lookout (sniffout??) for this note after smelling zombi, so maybe he's hypersensitive to earthiness! He said he liked it, but I'm not sure I want him thinking I smell dirty. (Well, Smut fits the bill for that scent, but I'll pass on the literally dirty association. :lol: )

So I guess I'll be saving this baby up for rainy days when the guy is out of town! :D

I've given this a good try, but this scent just doesn't like me. I've read other peoples' reviews comparing this to Pink Snowballs - but while that was fabulous on me, Snow.White smells - from bottle to drydown - like burnt plastic, pineapple and freezer-burn.

I know this will be lovely on the right person; it has amazing throw and lasts forever...that person just regrettably isn't me.

ITI: Odd. It smells like plastic and freshly cut flower stems. There is a little bit of an almond note in there as well.

Wet: It still smells like light cut flower stems and a something reminiscent of Lush’s snowcake. Every now and then, it gets just a little plastic-y, but then I smell the flower stems and I like it again.

Dry: It smells like white chocolate on my skin after 13 hours, which is really odd as none of those notes are present.

Wet: Sweet and cool.

Drydown/Dry: Vanilla/tonka with pale mint or eucalyptus. Sweet, creamy, cool, and fresh. There's something soft and pillowy too... maybe tuberose? or a pale musk?

Snow white is really well blended and rather lovely. At no point do any of the notes go plastic or soapy or vanish or anything else that notes sometimes do. It's definitely a crowd-pleaser-type scent. I might have to gift a bottle or two of this to potential BPAL converts come the holiday season.

9 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

A sliver of chilled apple between silent red lips. This IS Snow White, lying in her coffin of carved alabaster on snow-shrouded ground, her beauty pure and frozen beneath the casket's crystalline lid. She is cold, but not dead. Somewhere within her unbeating heart is a spark of life. I am in love with this perfume as much as I am in love with the vision of loveliness it evokes.

This oil is every bit the masterpiece it is renowned to be. In the bottle I detected minty, cold, sweet apples touched with a warmth I couldn't decipher but that reminded me of my mother. On my skin, it stayed the same - perfection. When I finish the bottle I purchased from Ralenth on this forum, I will be compelled to seek another!

My version is from 2010.

2010 version

Gurl. This one is good.

I received a sniffie with a swap but managed to get some oil out by hitting the imp against my wrist lol. Then I just rubbed it on my neck and wow it must be a really long lasting perfume if this little has such a strong throw and doesn't really fade. I've had this drop for about 11h and I can still smell it.

I really love Lab's snow note in it. It's crisp, fluffy and light, just perfect. I really don't like florals but I can't really smell them in this one? It doesn't have that nasty artificial/funeral flowers smell to it. It's not a complicated scent. Simple, sweet, crisp and pleasant without being citrusy (Gods save me from citruses). It doesn't morph much, it's just more perfumy in the wet stage and then it stays true. I don't think I'm going to get an decant of it because it's not my regular type of scent but it was a pleasant experience to try it.

2012 decant.

Not too fond of this scent. Smells heavy of white florals. And then smell a slightly minty, powdery vanilla mixed in. I find white florals cloying on me and this is no exception. I was hoping to like it based on the reviews and notes others have smelled. There is this basic holiday scent for candles-jack frost which this scent reminds me of.

2012 here. so. I finally get a bottle of the famous Snow White. I opened and sniffed and thought, eh, what's all the fuss about? This smells like leetle girl perfume...

Then, on Christmas I tested it. OK. I get it now. This is awesome, fresh without being overly ozone, snowy without the snow note taking over, and floral, but in the most adorable way.

Snow White for the win. Warning : May require hoarding...

an addition to my review. Snow White is really long lasting on me, and I am a famous Perfume Eater, my skin sucks everything right up, but this hangs around for days. And is awesome. Must. Have. More.

Edited by stellamaris

Comparing my 2010 to my new 2012, they are exactly the same. One on my left wrist, one on my right. Lovely and perfect as ever. May need another bottle before the Yules come down.

2012 version.

I had a previous bottle- 2004 or 2005 and it never impressed me. This version? Total win on me. Pale white florals with a distinctly chilly back drop. I may have to upgrade my half decant to a bottle before the Yules go.

SNOW WHITE 2012

I have most every year's version of Snow white and this one is definately different. It smells off compared to the other versions. It's ok, but not the Snow White I have grown to love. If it was sold under a different name that would be understandable, but I wish I knew why the change and what it was due to. I thought maybe it needed to age, but I have SW bottles arrive and smelled perfect as soon as I received them. If there was a component change I would sure like to know.

I decided to try Snow White this year because it's been raved about for so long. Let me tell ya,

I wasn't expecting to love this one, but I do. It smells nothing like the description, no florals

or snow to be found. Excellent, those don't usually agree with me. What I do smell is delicious,

creamy softness. I remember reading the description of Mr. Croup, which lists "crushed porcelain"

as a note. This is what I imagined that to smell like -- crushed porcelain, with vanilla buttercream

frosting.

I understand the comparison to Snowcake, too. There is something marzipanny about it, without it

being almondy. It just has that same sort of creaminess. LOVE.

2012 version. Snow White is a lovely bpal classic. I own a bottle of 07, and it's about half gone. I wonder why I don't wear it more, it is just so beautiful. This version is almost identical to my 07, creamy vanilla and soft floral, I don't get much snow. Snow White has the unique ability to smell warm and cool at the same time, kind of foody, but in a floral way. I'm one of those people that Snow White doesn't go plastic, and for this I'm thankful. I'd really love to try an older version, as I hear the 04 and 05 are a bit different. I found 10 to be more of a clear cold Snow White, a touch more florally. I hope the lab never stops making this. :wub2:

2011 version: Wow I can't believe this sniffie is in my 'to try' pile for so long! Classic Snow White. Same as above.

Edited by milo

I bought a bottle of this because of all the rave reviews. I just can't resist trying the popular scents, even if they're not my thing.

In bottle: sweet play dough? And fresh cut flowers and mint.

On my skin: very soft and smells of cake. Definitely an almond and vanilla scent. The flowers fade on me and so does the chilly mint, but they mix with the cake smell enough to keep it interesting. I like it...not sure if it's going to be a favorite or really "me" but it's lovely and soft.

This is for the 2012 version.

In the bottle: Sweet snowed coconuts.

Wet: Much as when sniffed.

The dry-down: This is a wonderful version of one of my favourite scents. Sweet powdered sugar snow, and the yummy coconuts. :) Only a faint hint of the florals.

2010 version

In the bottle: Coconut and flowers.

Immediately after application: Coconutty floral should not seem like a wintery scent, but it is. I think I am getting an idea of why so many people are batty about this.

Warming up: Very soft, sweet coconut with a chilly breeze. It's not the meaty coconut from my beloved Tiki scents. This one is truly feminine and soft.

Fading: Soft coconut.

Faded: Average throw, average wear.

Overall: Consider me a convert. Bottle!

Rating: 4/5.

I'm amazed at how different this seems to smell on various people. I get pure vanilla and white musk. I'm not sure what the 'snow' note is meant to be, but to me this is just creamy and soft and white. More like Snow White's skin than her namesake. I have a lot of white floral scents, and I don't get much floral from this. I'd put it in the same category of scents as Morocco, but without the spice. Not sure if I need a bottle as I'm not that big on vanilla. I will probably use up the imp, however.

*sigh* Was hoping to get the cool vanilla snow + flowers everyone else is getting, but unfortunately all I'm getting is Play Dogh. mecry.gifIf she doesn't age into something awesome this princess will need to find another castle.

EDIT 10/06/13: Proof that one should NEVER give up on a BPAL blend until a few months have passed! wub2.gif FINALLY I get the cool vanilla snow and soft florals that others have mentioned. The snow note's cooling effect is quite pleasant during the 100+ degree summer days we get here. Will definitely keep as a summer blend and repurchase once low.

Edited by thatbrownelf

One of my all-time favorites, a cool white floral that, on me, has a bit of the green coconut sparkle from The Star. Soft enough to wear any time of the year and always lovely.

I have the 2012 and 2007 versions. I prefer the 2007; the 2012 has a slightly harsher, more bitter/chemically note to it. But overall, still a winner.

Edited by ObliqueRed

Chilly/white/creamy/snow/flower scents usually aren't my thing, but I got this as part of a Yule set last year. 2012 version.

In the bottle: YO peppermint and vanilla. Smells a bit like a milkshake.

Wet: oh my God, the dread Play-Do smell, and I get a whiff of cat pee undertone - husband didn't smell it, though.

Drydown: The Play-Do smell receded, and I got a little bit of fake coconut and pineapple, but then the Play-Do came back again. A really synthetic, doughy, sorta-sweet chemical smell.

Verdict: Total miss.

This one stays mostly true from wet to drydown and doesn't change much in my experience.

I get a very faint floral with some slightly coconutty goodness underneath. I still don't really understand what coconut is doing in here, since it's not supposed to be there, but it does smell kind of like a very sweet coconut.

I have found that if I slather it, it tends to get a little too sickly sweet. It is a scent best worn lightly.

It lasts a long time, but after many hours all I get is vanilla (?).

It's definitely a winner for me and one of the scents I keep going back to from time to time when I'm in the mood.

Dissapointing - I think I've got a bottle of '07 version. All white flowers, not sweet at all - kinda salty actually. And it's the first BPAL oil to go to terrible plastic-y on me, just seconds after the drydown. Meh.

Edited by Yanagoya

2005 version.

This is so sweet and beautiful and perfect. It's such an innocent scent, yet so delicious. On me, it's almondy coconut goodness, but with an almost fruity depth to it. It's so hard to place, and it's a very unique scent, but also reminds me of something from my childhood. My boyfriend loves this one on me very much, which makes me happy. I would pass on this every year I saw it, because of the description, and thinking it'd be aquatic and minty, but it's so different than what I expected. So mad I passed it up all those times!

5/5. :wub2: I want another bottle!

Edited by MiasmaResonance