Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

Snow White 08
What a beauty this is .. it may just rank among my all time faves. I get warm vanilla goodness but not in a foody way .. the florals come out to play ever so softly in the background. No one note is overbearing .. beautifully blended.
Womanly yet innocent .. this is just divine .. Im off to stock up!

2008 decant

In vial: thick, white, creamy, coconut, vanilla, floral - mmmmmmmmm!

Wet on skin: oh yes - there's the chilly snow! This is mostly coconut, and very pretty. It reminds me a little of Eden, but much cooler and more floral.

Dry on skin: very sweet, cloying coconut. Pretty, but too sweet and bland to wear for long.

Edited after almost a year:

Now the coconut is all but gone and it's less sweet and bland, but very smooth and pretty. I can't really identify any notes, and it's definitely not floral, but it's pale and creamy and natural smelling. I think I might need a bottle after all - good job Beth brought it back again for 2009!

Edited by Lyrical

I'd heard so much about Snow White, and after reading the description and the reviews I jumped in and grabbed a 5ml unsniffed. When I actually got the bottle, I eagerly opened it up and was... underwhelmed. The fragrance in the bottle is very faint, but if I put my nose very close and sniff hard I get-- is that cold grass and wet fur? On the skin, this very quickly became eau de wet cat. It smelled strongly and only of a wet cat, but I'd slathered it on and was running late so I dashed out the door smelling of soaked feline. As it dried, I was at least glad that it seemed to get fainter and fainter, until it was almost gone. I forgot about it, honestly. Then, something miraculous happened. I was behind the front desk at work when a coworker came sniffing around. "Is that vanilla? Is that you?" She leaned in and took a sniff and announced that I smelled very good. I cautiously raised a wrist to my nose and there it was. Lovely vanilla, a hint of coconut and something almost like ozone that pulled the whole thing from warm to cold.

It has lasted much longer than I expected for such a faint scent, and though it's subtle people notice. My skin amps vanilla, it seems, but this turns regular vanilla into something colder and completely different. Once I got past the wet cat phase, this is surprisingly good and understated. Not at all foody on me, just chilly. I can't wait to try layering it with favourites.

I smelled this a few years ago when it wasn't slated to return any time soon. I've described it to a fellow forumite as being something I dislike so much I like it. It's a weird scent! I have 3 bottles of Snow White from previous years. I just received my 08 version yesterday. I think I like it fresh best! New from the bottle it is wonderful! And it doesn't go sour funky on my skin. Just beautiful, white florals.

As a side note, I love coconut. I've done forum and BPAL website searches looking specifically for coconut. But I get NO coconut whatsover from Snow White, not any versions. Hmmmm. Weird!

In The Bottle

Cool, green and something else which is so familiar

On Application

Really soft and prefumey. Still trying to figure out the familiar scent

Dry Down

This is definitely creamy but not cloying cream. I expected to get almond or flowers but I can't pick those out definitively (thankfully). This starts off so soft but picks up power as it dries down. I was alos expecting this to be really cold like some of the other icy/sbow BPAL scents but it really isn't - it's cool/chilly but not cold. I have say that, unfortunately, I am already absolutely smitten by this scent. It is unlike any other BPAL scent I have tried.

Rating (0-5)

5 :P :D :D

Snow White 08

After a sugared pine blast, this soft, velvety, truly white spirit lingers in the air surrounding me like a delicate fairy.

Even if the wet stage is a tad too sweet for me, the drydown is a concept more than a perfume. it smells of dreams.

2007 version:

Oh yum yum yum. I get compliments on this one every time I wear it and people are constantly asking me what I am wearing. It is VERY similar to Lush's Snowcake soap. Lots of almond and what I think may be jasmine but I'm not sure. It's just gorgeous and it lasts for hours. It is very white, and rather crisp and I keep picturing snow flurries in my head. Beatifully creamy and feminine. Soft but not too soft. Just genius!

I wrote a review for Snow White 2007 already, so I hope it's ok to write one for Snow White '08.

I was painting and getting my living room ready for new furniture to be delivered and decided the hardwood floor needed a fresh coat of polyurethane (oil based). So I did the floor and went upstairs to start testing my new scents that arrived earlier that day. Snow White is my all time favorite scent ever, so I tested it first hoping it was going to be as good as last year's.

I sniffed and sniffed, but nothing. No smell at all. I thought there was something wrong with my precious Snow White, but it was just that my nose wasn't working from smelling the floor.

It took until the next afternoon when I tested it again that I finally could smell it and realized that '08 is every bit as good as '07, so more bottles needed to be ordered. It's THAT good!

Snow White 08

After reading other reviews, I was really looking forward to sniffing Snow White. Unfortunately, my nose didn't cooperate. In the imp, the scent was very faint. I applied a liberal amount, and after just a couple of minutes, there was nothing. There was no scent at all. Evidently, my nose is unimpressed with snow, wind and flowers. Too bad, because the reviews were so great and I really wanted this to be amazing on me.

In the imp this is beauuuuuutiful; snowy vanilla, soft florals that aren't OMG FLORAL PERFUME!!!, and like...an extremely faint appley undertone.

It's lovely on my skin, too, but it fades really quickly :P can't decide whether I should skip it or buy a couple of bottles and slather.

I'm reviewing the 2008 version. This is a beautiful scent indeed. A very cool vanilla, with a hint of coconut and white florals. Creamy and sweet, but not cloying. I'm actually surprised I like it, given my usual hate-on for all things floral. Very light and innocent smelling. Totally unlike anything I usually wear, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

straight sniff from imp is just elegant...really green and cool

then the coconut and vanilla with delicate florals...

once applied this is the best ever!! years past of this blend have turned play-doh but

this one remains gorgeous; the sillage is perfect as well...

love it!!!

I have to wonder if aliens came down and switched my decant of Snow White for something else. hmmm lol

At first sniff in the imp and newly dabbed on my skin, I thought, this is pretty okay... it was a soft, almost musky, and in no way masculine scent. But a little later... that's when things turned evil. :D It morphed into something foul and rank on me. I got nothing of snow and if there were any flowers they smelled like how flowers might if left rotting in the hot summer sun. :D

I kept sniffing my arm, hoping and wanting to like this since it seems to be so very popular, but alas, it remained smelling like pungent animal musk mixed with rotten flowers. I'm kind of sad and a little disappointed, 'cause I really wanted to like this and thought for sure I would with the notes listed. :D

It had been sitting around for over a week before I tested, but I will go ahead and retest this in a month or so to give it another chance. Maybe the aliens will switch it back? :P

Edit: I dabbed some on my daughter's wrist last night to sniff and got the same thing. She liked it quite well. I dunno. I would almost think my sniffer isn't working correctly except my youngest son made a really scrunched up face when he sniffed it; we do seem to have similar scent preferences, though. I guess my daughter will be gifted my decant of Snow White, since my nose refuses to like it. *sigh*

Edited by wl552

2008 Snow White

A fresh ole bottle of Snow White to play with. The only thing I want to add from having previously reviewed Snow White is that the green crispness of a fresh bottle is more prevalent than an aged bottle. Gah, this stuff is heaven.

I enjoy this. It's soft and warm and sweet and gentle. I can see why it's a perennial favorite and why it causes such a panic when it happens not to be reissued. On me, it's a soft vanilla almond with a velvety flower that I *think* might be white rose -- but I can't say for sure. And honestly, I should hate this blend. But I don't. I quite like it -- it's just not me.

However, I have a friend for whom it would be absolutely perfect.

Soft creamy white flowers flickering in a light coconut vanilla base...there is a velvety cold green note that tickles a bit. This is faint on my skin and fades quickly. Innocent...just not my type of wintery scent. I'll keep my decant.

I got the 2007 version of this in my first ever Lab order but didn't like it. My tastes have developed and altered so much since then that I decided to give it another go.

Still, the coconut/floral combination make me feel blurgh so I'm going to swap it.

Nevermind, I tried!

This review is for Snow White, 2008

ITI: Play-doh. It smells like Play-doh.

Wet: Yep. Play-doh + sunscreen. Awww...I was so pumped about this one, too.

Dry: Play-doh-arrific.

Drydown: This has mellowed to soft Play-doh with just a little throw.

Final Thoughts: I don't think this is a keeper for me, but I won't commit to swap/sell yet. It's worth holding on to for a little while and trying again.

I've never tried any of the Snow Whites before, so I'm going into this pretty blind.

On my wrist wet: .....almond? It's almondy. That's.....not what I expected.

On the drydown: where'd it go? heeeeere almond almond almond....there it is. Still almond. Just very faintly.

Yup.

Almond.

This is a review of the 2005 vintage which, er, I apparently never got around to reviewing. The first two or three times I wore Snow White, I could really smell the florals in the wet stage. After that, the florals moved back into the seamless "Snow White" smell. It's hard for me to describe what Snow White actually smells like. I don't smell coconut, or almond, or vanilla. When I wore it today, I could smell a watery coolness - some have attributed this to cucumber, I think, but I couldn't say whether that's the note or not. Snow White doesn't smell like snow per se, but since I wore it every day that classes were canceled for snow for the last three years, I really associate the smell with lots of snow falling silently. Maybe I can better describe the scent by what it's like. It's like standing outside in a drift of snow while snow falls softly on your shoulders, in your hair, across your vision. Snow White is a beautiful, beautiful scent. Every year when it comes back I fight against getting more- I have two bottles, and I'm less than halfway through the first.

I'm going to have to go with "yuck" on this one. :P It *does* smell like car freshener - like white flowers swiped on cardboard. I think the cardboard for me is what other people are calling almond - it *is* a vaguely nutty smell, but almond is straight up vile on me, and this isn't almond.

Editing a year later to say - yep, still yuck. It smells lovely in the imp, but it turns to rotten coconut on me.

Edited by marared

Wet in bottle - Snow, coconut and light flowers. It’s fresh and absolutely delicious.

Wet on skin - Coconut and a strange dusty aroma! Noo! Please get better, Snow White!

Dry on skin - A sort of dusty, dry coconut smell that reminds me of sunscreen. This is tragic. I think I will let it rest for a while and try it again. Right now it is just not what I expected at all!

It's weird because I don't think Snow White smells like almond, or coconut, or white florals at all. At ALL. This really is just really well blended, and it smells like Snow-Flakes with a creaminess that doesn't overwhelm the slightly wet quality of the scent.

Edited by cinderfallen