Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

2005 version

In the bottle: Sweet, pine, mint, fruit-foody.

Wet: Indeed a very cold scent.

Dry: Almond comes out after a while. Never any flowers.

I don't get the berries, and while the pine in this is very mild, I'm just not a fan of pine on myself, and I don't like 'creamy' scents, which is how I would describe the way the almond in this is. I also find this scent very mild on the whole.

In the Imp (wet): Bright and a type of clean floral that seems untouchable.

On facial cotton (dry): The barest hint of sweetness... maybe vanilla?

On me: I'll admit that my first impression of Snow White 2007 was less than impressed. It seemed too alien, but it's grown on me. It's feminine, but not girly girl at all. This is freshly fallen snow, that sparkles in light and feels like soft powder. It promises of clear diamond ice shards on tree branches and biting winds.

My love affair with Snow White 07 started in an unusual way. I bought the soap to give as Yule presents. You know how that goes; one for you, one for me. This was my first soap purchase from the Trading Post.

Nice, soft lather, the scent was faint. Just mildly understated. As I continued to use the soap, the scent intrigued me. Of course, by this time all the Yule scents are gone (I'm a hoarder and get to things slowly). So I purchase an imp. I don't know what it is about this scent, I can't quit sniffing it. I use the imp sparingly. Must. Have. More.

Now begins the insane search for Snow White. People are hoarding. Outrageous prices on ebay. Finally, a bottle. What? It's not been sold? I am in heaven!

I do not know what the notes are in this formula. It is a comfort scent for me. I wear it in my scent locket most days. It is a scent for me and me alone. It is very faint on my skin, but in the locket it is there for me, whenever I need it. It represents purity; it is refreshing and otherwordly. It takes me away to a land of innocence when the world around me is troubled, dirty and vicious. It calms, balances and centers me.

A huge ((((hug)))) to my switch witch who so kindly sent me a bottle. I look forward to Yule, in hopes that it will be released again. If not this year, then next. I can wait.

Snow White 2007, decant (fr)imp~

Under the cap I smell fresh, cold cream and vanilla spun sugar. Almond is whispering about, as well. Wet on my skin this is sweet, delicate, and almost too innocent - - All of which perfectly evoke it's namesake.

The dry down produces slightly more almond, but never enough to be more than a suggestion that it is there. Major bonus, since I do not generally like strong almond.

This is a "second skin" smell on me, and it amps just enough to be pleasant without ever leaning toward the aggressive. I generally prefer scents with more throw, but this blend is different. Oddly, because someone would have to be extra close to appreciate this one, I think of it as a "bedtime" scent.

This is quietly sexy, and well worth a try. Not sure I would buy a bottle, but an imp or two would be nice to have on hand.

Edited by Indig0

I must say that this is one of my favourites. I got an imp, and had to have a bottle right away. I really don't get the "coldness" that many people are describing. I find it to be a warm, spring scent, sexy while being innocent at the same time. There is the almond there, but it is perfectly balanced with the florals, but it is definitely not a strong floral. The first time I wore this, it reminded me of something from my childhood, those scented dolls that you could get in the 70's, I think Snow White smells exactly like the blue doll (I wish I still had it to compare!) The throw is excellent, I applied at 8:00 this morning, and I could still get whiffs all afternoon. I just about had a fit when I spilled my bottle, I was decanting at the time, and just sucked up what I could back into my bottle (personal decant!)

Several months ago I bought an imp lot off eBay so I'd have lots of scents to try, and Snow White was in the lot. I don't know what year the decant was, but I think it was 2007). When I first tried it, I didn't care for it too much because I thought it had a bit of a coconut smell. (I don't care for coconut.) But I tried it again several days later, and asked my mom what she thought of it, and she couldn't smell coconut at all. After trying it out acouple more times, I was hooked. I can see why people hoard Snow White! It's a nice comforting flowery wintery scent. It has great staying power too! Occasionally it goes weird on me; sometimes it smells slightly like pencil shavings, and other times it smells fruity. But it is by far my most favorite scent... I bought a 2007 bottle off eBay and I think that it will tide me over until Snow White is (hopefully) released again in October 2008. I'm planning on buying 3 or 4 bottles!

Snow White (2007)

Snow White is a creamy, vague smell with hints of coconut and (maybe) vanilla. I understand how some people are calling this a "warm" winter scent.

After it dries on my skin, Snow White smells like nothing so much as fresh My Little Pony plastic. This is not bad, I've always loved that smell.

I enjoy this one and will keep my decant around, but it's faintness and the My Little Pony aroma means I won't really be wearing it as a perfume.

ETA: I lied. Snow White STILL smells like My Little Ponies to me, and yet I crave it. If it comes back I'd buy a bottle.

Edited by innocent

I finalyl got the chance to try this one - and unfortunately.... I love it. It definitely has almond on me, which is a *good* thing . I can just barely smell some bitter mint under it, but its mostly hiding. I wouldn't have known this was meant to be a "winter" scent until I read the reviews. I get creamy, white, almondy, love. Now, HTH am I going to find a bottle!! Looking at the dates, this gets brought back almost once a year. I will absolutely buy a bottle when it does.

Bottle: Weird, plasticy lilies.

Wet: Snow White almost immediately gains this creamy marzipan-y quality. The lily scent softens and the whole thing acquires a really creamy aspect.

Dry: Cream, marzipan and lilies. There's a bit of a musky skin-like quality and it's overall quite cold and calming. It's a very cozy, comforting scent.

Throw: Insane. It's a mild, unobtrusive scent, but EVERYONE can smell it when you walk into a building.

Overall: This is a weird scent. It's not my style. I smell it in the bottle and I don't like it. But then sometimes I just feel compelled to wear it. It's very feminine and unusual and appropriate for work, school or anywhere where you just want to smell nice and not offend anyone. I just don't know, though. I'm happy with the bottle I have, but the weird power of Snow White compells me and I'll probably wind up with a back up if it returns with the Yule update. Weird stuff. Weird, compelling stuff.

Ok, I adore Snow White. Love love love it. But only in the bottle and on my clothes. :P

It starts out gorgeous and creamy and sweet on my skin. Seriously, I can't describe as anything other than creamy and sweet. No distinct notes pop out at me. It smells very much like CBIHP's Daffodil accord, but with pine instead of sunshiney grass in the background.

After it dries a bit, it goes through a pine phase, which is totally fine - after all, I love Snow Bunny too. But then a bit later it just has this funky, musty, dirt odor that is completely unappealing. It's heartbreaking because I love this SO MUCH, just not on me. Like I said, it's great on my clothes and would probably work in a scent locket, but I don't wear chunky jewelry so I can't see that happening. Damn!

Imp: Snow with a touch of almond.

Wet: This is almost a dead ringer for LUSH Snowcake my #1 fav. LUSH fragrance. Marzipan...yum!

Dry: I never really do find the flowers. The are hiding. Sweet snow and and almond are wonderful and subtle on their own.

Another one that I will have to get a bottle of if it reappears.

If this scent doesn't return sometime soon, I'm in serious trouble. Because never before have I tried a perfume that smelled so much like it belonged on my skin. I have a very kind (and in a way, very cruel :P ) forumite to thank for slipping this into a purchase I made from her, and I'm already getting a bit twitchy wondering how I can manage to get more.

It's nice in the bottle, a fresh sweetness. When I first dabbed it on, I immediately smelled the "sweet, creamy coconut with a hint of fresh greenness" that others have described. Sweet, yes, but in a unique, complex way that contradicts my association of coconut scents with a summery idea. As the day went on, the coconut note mellowed into a creamy sweetness that, while somewhat "general" on my skin, was FAR from generic. Something like whipped cream before it's whipped - generously sugared, thick and chilled. I couldn't stop smelling my wrist.

I love this. This is the fragrance I never knew I needed. Please, please tell me it'll be back. Or that you have two or ten bottles lying around the house that you don't want. :D

Wow. I like this a lot more than I expected to. It does remind me of snow. It's a really nice, soft, pretty scent, but kind of hard to pin down. There's spun sugar and creaminess, maybe almond? Some very soft florals in there somewhere. It's not my usual style at all, but I sort of can't stop sniffing it.

Definitely need to order a bottle now that the Yules have come back around.

I am reviewing from a Snow White '07 decant.

October 30, 2008 edit: Okay, on my second wearing I am a little less influenced by the pure thrill of getting to try this scent. So a more thoughtful review will replace the first overexcited one.

When I first put this on, I definitely get a sweet and slightly buttery cotton candy/vanilla kind of experience. Somehow, it reminds one of coconut, but I don't think it's coconut. As it dries, a cool floral waft comes out of it that reminds one of melting snow (it doesn't actually smell like melting snow, it just conjures the idea). Another reviewer said it was mint and that would make perfect sense! But if it's mint, it's so subtle as to not really smell like mint. That sort of cool melting snow bit burns away eventually, which is disappointing because that was the excitement.

Snow White is on far drydown a lightly floral vanilla with hints of something chilly and green. But this is where it gets sad, because the vanilla smells a little bit like plastic to me. If I think about it as cotton candy, it smells less plasticky in my mind, but when I think of it as vanilla, I smell plastic. Thus the power of the mind's influence is shown. I don't think I will be ordering an '08, but I am glad to have an imp and I'll hang on to it.

Edit No. 2: Due to the time-limited nature of these LEs, I've been giving them extra wear so that I can determine if I really do need a bottle/that second bottle/etc. And Snow White is the weirdest! Because even with that plasticky vanilla note.... I fricking need this scent. It's light, gentle, and alternates between cool and warm floral. It's just so fascinating. Now I do want a bottle. The plastic can be ignored and overcome!

Heehee, this review must be confusing anyone trying to make a decision based on reviews. ;)

Edited by obsidienne

I can see why Snow White is so popular!

My bottle is from 2004. This blend is definitely more perfumey than things I usually select, but I like it a lot! I definitely get the creamy almost-coconut that people mention, a whiff of cool florals... I really don't know how to describe it except to say that it's beautiful, and I can see this finding a spot in my regular rotation.

Definitely picking up another bottle or two if the new version is anything like this one!

I was so excited to try this, but sadly it didn't work on me. Hubby came home, sniffed it and said "Ewwww, play doh!". I don't think he has ever responded so negatively to a scent yet.

:P

wet, snow white is unbelievably pretty, faint florals and cold snow. beautiful! once on, it melts into a cool vanilla & subtle mint. an absolutely lovely scent, but too "mainstream fake vanilla perfume" (which always bothers my sinuses) for me. :D

still, i am over the moon that i was able to try this one. :P

on to the next!

Snow White 2008

This scent smells the same on me as it does in the bottle. I've worn it for two days of testing and to my nose it's a cool floral with a smidge of vanilla, but not a lot. It reminds me of Regan because it's such a light floral but Regan has more vanilla to me [orchid vanille & stephanotis].

I wore Regan during the summer and Snow White definitely lasts much longer.

I like Snow White a lot although I thought this "snow" would smell similar to the "snow" in Christmas Rose. [it doesn't]

I agree with an earlier review that said it's an unobtrusive scent. I could wear this to yoga class or work and no one would have a negative scent reaction. This may be one of the few light florals that lasts a reasonable amount of time on me. I'm glad I got a bottle because I love to slather and this scent is a happy one to live in.

Stay yummy and sweet-smelling.

This is a review of the 2007 version. When this first goes on it smells strongly of coconut - which is odd given the description, but it's quite lovely. It's a light not overly strong coconut, which is a nice change from the super sweet buttery smell I get from most of the lab's coconut notes.

As this dries down I get coconut and pine. I don't get any florals, which makes me sad because I love the "soft floral + something interesting" sort of scents.

Overall, it's nice, and unique, but not something I'd wear. (Not to mention my sister-in-law who I live with is deathly allergic to pine!)

2008 Version

In the bottle, this is a creamy floral--more creamy than floral. I had a 2005 version of this I recently swapped and was missing it so I ordered the 2008 version when Yules went live. This smells very similar to the bottle of '05 I previously had.

The scent on my skin is much the same as it is in the bottle. The creaminess overpowers the floral and leaves me with a soft, cool, dreamy scent. As it dries further, I get a bit of woods blending with the vanilla. Very nice. :P

Snow White is perhaps my most coveted BPAL scent ever. I won't distinguish between all the years, because to me they are all the same.

Soft snow flurries, a slight touch of almond mingled with a gentle, creamy floral. It is breathtaking, haunting and simple. It lasts forever on my skin and the throw is amazing. I wore Snow White on my wedding day this past April, and I never felt more beautiful.

2008 version

I was expecting something more of an almond-y snowy scent (like Lush's Snowcake, I suppose) but this isn't nearly as sweet, to me anyway.

Wet: I get cold pine and florals. I love how Beth was able to make it smell cold.

Dry: It begins to get almost cloyingly floral. Good point is that it doesn't fade quickly.

I've tried it twice, and seem to be fairly neutral towards it. I might let it age a little and then come back to it.

I tried this yesterday.

in the bottle: Snow White 08 smells like wet grass and a cold night. It's a little odd, but not unpleasant.

wet: On me, this scent became a playdough type smell. Flowers and playdough. Not that appealing.

dry: The playdough smell isn't as potent but still lingers behind the scent of flowers. This one definitely isn't right for me.

2008 version

In the bottle: It took me a few sniffs to smell anything in the bottle. It's a light plastic coconut smell. But it is really, really light.

Wet: I smell vanilla and coconut. It's the vanilla in Antique Lace. The plastic vanilla that smells like barbie dolls, or as someone said, my little ponies. I don't really like that smell, although I'm not a huge fan of vanilla in the first place. And I don't really like the smell of coconut, but the coconut in this isn't really bothering me. It's the vanilla.

Dry: Play-doh. :D Hands down, smells exactly like play-doh. My boyfriend said I smelled pretty when I wore this. This was actually the second time, out of nowhere, he's told me I smell pretty (the first time bbeing when I wore Helena for the first time). But he also agreed that it smells like play-doh and said he likes the smell of play-doh. But I don't really...

Overall: I had huge expectations for this scent! I thought I would love it, but it's going to the swaps. :D It's not for me, even though my boyfriend loves it. The label is pretty though, making me rethink swapping it. :P

(2007 version)

In the imp: Sweet, bright white, maybe a little vanilla.

Fresh on the skin: Oh. Oh, this is a lovely. Kind of like a delicate, perfectly tender angel food cake, dusted with powdered sugar. And a little of something else -- alcohol? Something a little chemically, but in a reasonably nice way. Perfumey. This is reminding me of one of the Lush bombs, especially once I've rubbed a little bit of it in my hair.

10 minutes later: There is something sort of aquatic about it, though I don't really get the icy of snow. Maybe the really fluffy kind of snow. And a sort of vanilla-y pale white not-quite-floral. Soft.

20 minutes later: I'm not sure how I feel about this. Like but not love, maybe.

1 hour later: This smells like a particular odd artificial thing. It keeps reminding me of the time I had transparencies made, but I don't think that's it. But something like that. Something plasticky. And yet, it's pretty nice, with a sort of sweet vanilla-ness, despite the artificiality.

2 hours later: Seriously, that sweet artificial plastic smell. Sort of like... scotch tape? It's not terrible, but definitely not actually desirable. I don't get any flowers at all, just sweet plastic adhesive and vanilla.

4 hours later: Maybe it's ozone? I do think it's changing a little, subtly, but the scotch tape adhesive quality remains, with a vanilla powder edge.

5 hours later: Sweet, sweet vanilla ozone.

6 hours later: It's really not bad. Just also... not good? Or both a little bad and a little good, maybe.

9 hours later: Ozone is mostly gone, leaving a nice vanilla, interesting and not over-sweet. Wish I liked the primary scent of this more.

11 hours later: Gone, gone gone.

Verdict: Enh. I mean, I'm fond of Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing and all (3M has morphed a lot as a company, over time), but I don't really feel the need to smell like vanilla polymer.

One phrase: scotch tape.

Edited by jencallisto