Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

i hate to clash with the graceful, emotional response the above reviewer has to snow white, but i must ask...does snow white have crack in it? if so, i'm sooo a crack wh*re. what took me so long to try this?!

Initial Impression: grass, cream, hint of marzipan

On Wet: cream, some marzipan (some people said it smelled coconut-y), hint of grass

On Dry: more blended, less green. Now I see where people got that coconut-y smell from., sometimes I smell it.

Final Impression: ZOMG! I love this. I also got a ton of compliments on it when I wore it to work. Now I understand why people hoard it.

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 5

SNOW WHITE 2007

In the bottle

Faint rose, VERY faint. Nothing else.

Wet

Still very faint rose, but now I smell a little fresh coconut meat as well.

Dry

The drydown is the most interesting phase. I get the faint whiff of roses bygone, but up pops a smidgen of pine resin, as if I've just brushed a pine tree and gotten some sticky sap on my wrist. The funny thing is that I would expect this to cause the scent to become cold and distant, but it becomes a nice, warm comforting scent. I want to snuggle up on the couch in my favorite oversized woolen sweater and huff my wrist for the rest of the day.

Verdict

Very nice. If it wouldn't be a travesty to do so, I would love to transform this scent to a dryer sheet and make all my warm, snuggly clothes smell like this.

Mmmmm. When I first sniff this in the bottle it is chilly, crisp, fresh, and pure, like driven snow.

On the skin the other notes start popping out. A little green, a little floral, a little sweet.

It is divine. Innocent yet sensual, clear but complex, a beautiful creation! I can't get enough!

In imp: Mm. Cool, floral...

Wet: What the!?! Coconut!?!?!

Dry: Still coconutty... smells just like this coconut body lotion I used to use... Mountain Ocean Skin Trip? Unfortunately, it is also smelling a little suntan lotiony on my weird weird skin.

Dry, ages later: It's holding that general coconut body lotion formation and is incredibly long lasting.

Conclusion: I like coconut, but whatever it is in there that smells lotiony to me is bugging me. Also, what's with the skin that makes "fresh driven snow" smell like "meanwhile, at the beach?"

I just got my second bottle of Snow White in the mail today & wondered if there might be any differences in the batch; nope! Still the same.

Actual scent: A center of pale flowers, like maybe a white rose, but dusted with confectioners' sugar, with a soft edge of chilly snow.

What it reminds me of: not a harsh winter day, but a cozy winter day where the snow is mild, the sky is overcast, the atmosphere is hazy and muted instead of sharp. You know those snowy days that just seem to peaceful and actually cozy? That's what this reminds me of. I wore sky blue & creamy tan today just to go with this scent (because I am a geek).

I got so many compliments today at work; my Godforsaken hair was so static after filling the ATM that in an act of desperation & experimentation, I rubbed a few drops of Snow White on my palms & ran it across my long, straight hair. When my boyfriend came to eat lunch with me, before leaving, he buried his head in my hair and sighed :P

Edited by mothglitter

Rewiev 432 :P Anyone still reading?

As this is one of those extremely popular blends my expectations were built up very very high.

It was not a disappointment but I cant say it really blew me away. People interpret it in very different ways but to me it is sugary, flowery marzipan. Not green at all and no coconut suntan lotion either. It is sweet but not cold at all. The coldness is what I miss and would have liked to get from this, if it would smell exactly the same but with added icyness. But the way it is it smells seamlessly sweet and complex, somewhere on the verge between foody and artificial.

More like than love, but still very nice. Long lasting, and it has A LOT of throw, unexpectedly. So as BPAL legends go, you should give it a try once.

ok, I just tried this scent and while it is indeed lovely...it is very light on me and hardly sniffable unless nose to wrist. Does anyone else find an amazing likeness to snowcake from LUSH?

Or is it just me and my untrained nose?

Rewiev 432 :eek: Anyone still reading?

As this is one of those extremely popular blends my expectations were built up very very high.

It was not a disappointment but I cant say it really blew me away. People interpret it in very different ways but to me it is sugary, flowery marzipan. Not green at all and no coconut suntan lotion either. It is sweet but not cold at all. The coldness is what I miss and would have liked to get from this, if it would smell exactly the same but with added icyness. But the way it is it smells seamlessly sweet and complex, somewhere on the verge between foody and artificial.

More like than love, but still very nice. Long lasting, and it has A LOT of throw, unexpectedly. So as BPAL legends go, you should give it a try once.

I am not a fan of this one. After being heartbroken to smell lovely pillowy marshmallows and green apples on a friend of mine, I got another decant to try in a scent locket. But I was underwhelmed and then my boyfriend asked me why I smelled like playdough. :P I think Snow White demands the right chemistry to come out and play right... as for me, it´s a light a fluffy scent that goes plastic-y. Not my style. I suppose that means more for the rest of you luckies with the right chemistry! It truly does smell amazing on my friend. :D

Originally I thought this was nice, but not for me.

Now, this is my new BPAL love. On me it's nowhere near chilly like the description says, but rather warm and soft and sweet like the mug of hot Snow White milk tea you might take on a walk in the snow. I don't smell coconut, exactly, but I can definitely see where the comparisons come from. The flowers are delicate and light and well-snuggled-in to the cream, and I would be wildly guessing to try and tell you what flowers they are, exactly. It has a great throw (which is rare with my skin chemistry), and lasted deliciously 13 hours the other day when I wore it. Snow White is delishus, as the cat macros might say. :P

I was really wanting the creamy, floral kissed coconut but alas, it was not to be. I get a little bit of the floral and possibly a touch of something green, but only if I try really hard to find it. I tested a very small little eensy weensy baby drop on the back of my hand and goodness! it drowns out the Enraged Bunny Musk I slathered on my person earlier today. I can smell it on my hand even when held far away from my face! Now that's some throw!!! I guess I can look at it like this; bad news... it smells like Tokyo Stomp on me, good news... it smells like Tokyo Stomp on me!

Okay, now I don't know what to think of this one! I just finished typing this review and my dd comes in and says she smells something good. I asked her to sniff my hand and she smells, of all things, COCONUT AND FLOWERS WITH VANILLA CREAM!!!! That's what I wanted to smell!!!!! She didn't know what I was testing, so I asked her if she smelled Tokyo Stomp (she has her own decant, so she knows what it smells like) and she says not at all! This is the 2007 version BTW, so maybe my nose just can't pick up those particular smells yet. In any case, it's a keeper.

8-1-08

Well I'm glad I kept this on the back burner. I do detect a green (?) note about this now. It's creamy and floral for sure, (that's what my dd smelled but I didn't) and there's a touch of sweetness to it. It dries a bit powdery and has a bit of a vanilla feel to it now also. I feel the coconut more than smell it, if that makes sense. I'm horrible at picking notes but I do know it's closer to the reviews here, and it is definitely NOT Tokyo Stomp to me anymore!

Edited by kisha

(2007 edition)

Bottle: creamy almond, the tiniest hint of snow

Wet: mostly almond, a little high white floral note

Dry: continues with almost an almond single note, a little white floral, sweet, this reminds me a lot of Sudha Segara without the spice

On me this is mostly sweet almond, with a hint of powder on the drydown. A fine blend, but I have other almond scents that are more me. As holiday ladies go, I prefer The Snow Maiden.

In Vial: Vanilla almond floral

Wet: Mostly Vanilla with a hint of almond

Drydown: I am now getting the coolness of the snow and wintry wind, with light florals in the background and the warmth of vanilla and almond.

EDIT: I did not realize until almost 2 years later what an awful review I gave of this lovely scent. After trying it the first time, I sold the imp but kept craving the smell of it. So I bought another imp and have not been without several backup bottles since. It is my 'go to' scent. It is very difficult to describe because while it has floral they are so delicate your not thinking flowers you are thinking "beautiful" and even though I don't think there is vanilla in it, it does remind you of vanilla. It has a freshness about it that can only be experienced. I would have to say of all the bpal scents I have ever tried or owned, THIS is my all time favorite.

Edited by gchris

Oh, Snow White! I ordered the 07 version back at the beginning of the Yules and was incredibly excited to try it.... but I must admit that I was initially disappointed. It was lovely (and somehow cold without being minty), but pretty heavy on the coconut, which I realized quickly is not one of my favorite notes.

For a few months Snow White and I had a strange relationship. We would hang out a few times a week, casually swapping stories, but we never really clicked. Some days I thought she was gorgeous, and other days I thought about breaking it off.

I'm not sure whether age has changed Snow White, or my skin chemistry has changed, or she and I have just become acclimated to one another, but OH GOD! I'm in love. Snow White is exactly as she has been described... a cold, creamy, feminine scent, but very hard to describe. The only note I can pin down for certain is the coconut, and some sort of milky vanilla, but Snow White is a scent that goes beyond definition by notes. She just IS. Someone mentioned pina colada, and I think that's the closest thing I can relate her to in actual scent, though the feel is quite different. To my nose, Snow White isn't foody or floral or green at all, nor is it snow and ice. If you are looking for perfume, I would say look elsewhere. But if you are looking for an idea, Snow White might be for you.

As others have said, Snow White lasts FOREVER. I can smell it faintly on my skin after eight hours, which is a long time for me (my skin eats even Snake Oil in five hours). I can also smell it on my jacket for days after I wear it. Even though it smells like a light scent, I've found it can drown out pretty much anything else I put on (also including Snake Oil). So the throw is strong, but not cloying or particularly obvious, if that makes sense.

Overall, Snow White is an oil I have come to love. I'd recommend giving it some time to age if you don't like it at first (though if you don't want to wait you're welcome to send it on to me :D ). As you can probably see, it's incredibly difficult for me to describe, just like a woman should be. Snow White really embodies what I love most about BPAL - that they are more than a perfume company; that they can capture an idea in a bottle. Way to go on this one Beth! I hope the princess continues to return next Yule!

:P

This is for the 07 Snow white

Form: 5ml

In bottle: Absolutly divine. It has the scent of fresh powdery snow while smelling almost vanilla and creamy mint.

On skin: Still, just as divine but it smells a bit more vanilla-ey now.

Overall, I wish I had bought a back up bottle because this really is an amazing and beautiful Yule scent.

Rating: 5/5

I had this on my wishlist to try, even though I'm not a huge floral fan. I thought I should see what all the hype was about. Color me amazed when a forumite that I bought a few bottles from included a decant of Snow White 07 as a freebie!

This is incredibly light on my skin. I get creamy almond and faint, light florals. I almost think one of them is rose, a very cold, sugary rose.

I am wearing it in a scent locket as well as on my skin, and the florals are still light, but a bit more prominent.

And even though the florals are light, I get a sensation of standing under a trellis covered in blooms in the middle of a snowstorm. Amazing! Interestingly, in the locket, I almost get a crisp fruit with the florals, like maybe a very cold apple? Since this is called Snow White, apple is extremely appropriate, but unexpected.

This scent is incredible in that it's almost warm and creamy on my skin, but very cool and crisp in a scent locket. So if you wanted one way, and got the other, try wearing it differently (in your hair, in a scent locket, etc).

I really do like this, even though it's not a scent I'd normally go for. Not sure that I need a bottle of this ever, but I'm glad to have tried it.

So I was late ordering my yules -- didn't order them until the LAST POSSIBLE SECOND (seriously) and haven't had a chance to go through them all yet. I've just kind of sniffed the bottle and then put them away. I ordered all of them at once, so trying to sniff all of them in one sitting just makes my nose shut down.

So anyway, they've been aging for a month exactly. I received them on 1/24. Just finally got around to trying this one.

Obviously this is the 2007 version.

In Bottle:

Can hardly smell anything. Maybe a little sweet floral. On the green side.

Wet:

Green sweet floral.

Dry:

zOMG. Sweet vanilla with a tiny bit of spiciness and maybe a tiny bit of almond -- but not the almond that smells like cherry to me. This is more of an actual nuttiness. There is a slight hint of floral. I want to say that this reminds me of the Snowcake spray perfume that I purchased from the Lush Forum Only sale.

YUM! I immediate had to try it in the scent locket.

Scent Locket:

Exactly the same as dry on my skin. My skin doesn't seem to mutate scents very much.

It disappeared from my skin after about 4 hours but I can still get whiffs of it from my hair and of course from the scent locket, even though it's cold right now. (not wearing it.)

A KEEPER. I am so sad I didn't try it sooner!!

Edited by TwilightEyes

2007 edition.

In bottle: ALMOND. Blech. Not at all what I was expecting.

Wet: Faintly almond, some cream.

Drydown: Creamy almond, and that's it. Major disappointment. Off to the swap pile with this one - I can understand why a lot of people love this, but I personally can't abide the smell of almonds.

This review is in regards to the 2007 version.

Unwholesomely gorgeous. On me, as on so many others, this is not in the least cold. Pale, yes, but not cold. I found it to be a delicate perfume with a touch of almond, a hint of floral, and a slippery sweetness that melds into a lovely skin-scent. It's practically indiscernible from my general body chemistry, but with just a touch of extra something beyond that makes it heavenly to wear. I can see this being a good one to seduce someone with -- goodness knows I can barely keep my nose off my wrists when I'm wearing it!

It lasted all day, fading gently but never morphing into anything strange, and it never developed much of a throw, which is excellent, because I can slather it on and still go to work without worrying about attracting the attention of allergy-sufferers.

I'm very happy to have an imp of this, and if I don't manage to get a bottle between now and next Yule, it's definitely going to be a prime purchase. Providing it comes back again, of course. :P

Hello...

in the bottle this one is DEVINE... beautiful chilly, white, sweet - innocent.

But in skin this is - on me ! - absolute awful.

Hard, bitter plastic , something absolute artificial and rotten... :P

I know it doesn´t make any sense but on me it smells like burned baby-powder...

Gotta go and wash it off after 10 minutes..

Of to swap ye go, Snow Whitey... :D

Edited by LucyintheskywithDemons

I've hesitated to review this one because I can't quite get a handle on it. I've had a decant of '05 for quite a while now and just didn't find myself wearing it but when it came round again I thought I should have another decant so I picked one up of '07. I've worn it several times now and each time I waffle over whether I like it. It's soft and lovely with a definite wisp of snow that seems to blow through. The throw is moderate and the stayin power is amazing...so what's not to like? I keep getting a hint of "new doll" scent from this on my skin. It's not all the time, but something about it goes a touch powdery/plasticky. I want to like this and I can completely see it's potential so I keep trying it, keep giving her a chance to shine as she ages or as my skin chemistry mellows but I can't quite get past the sweet plastic powder doll head smell and that's not what I want to smell like.

this is the 2007 version

in the vial: wow. it's got a gentle, mildly sweet note, like floured almonds, but more gentle than that, even. it really *does* remind me of snow, but without the ozone and aqua notes that never work on me. :P

wet on skin: more of the same. i'm getting that 'flour' smell a little more strongly. it's like uncooked pastry dough. i really, really like this :D

dry down: same. it doesn't morph at all. it's a very close-to-the-skin type of smell, slightly reminding me of both a light musk and traces of MB: Closet without being either.

in all: complex, beautiful and impossible to describe- now i just have to track down a large bottle!!!

:D

(2007 decant)

I can see why so many people like this. It's very beautiful, in a kind of soft, floral-fresh way. I do get a sense of cold from it as well, so it's not all clingy in-your-face florals. And it's behaving on me, unlike so many snow/water/ozone/aquatic/etc. scents. No airfreshener...yay!

It faded really fast on me, however. I don't know if it was just the day, and I might try it again either in or over lotion, but I'm not thrilled about the fast fade. And while I like it, I'm not sure I'm ready to hoard. I might pick up a bottle of '08 next year if it comes out, though!

Snow White was one of two "must have" scents for me when I first found out about BPAL. I bought a half-full bottle of Snow White '05 on Ebay, and I'm glad to say that I love it and hope that an '08 edition will be out later this year.

My initial impression was a lot of coconut. That was about four hours ago. This stuff lasts a long time. I'd read that in the reviews, but didn't think that it would hold true for me, as my skin tends to absorb perfume like crazy. Even after four hours, it still has a wonderful smell that hasn't faded a whole lot since I first applied it. By this point, I'm smelling more of a coconut and pineapple combination and something a little flowery underneath that, but I can't say exactly what.

I honestly don't pick up a snow scent. For me, the coconut makes it almost tropical. I don't really pick out the scent of almonds, either, which a lot of people seem to. All in all, this will probably be one of my favorite BPALs, and I'll have to be sure to ration carefully until I can get some more.

Year: 2007

This is so delicious - in the bottle, my reaction was strangely crisp green apples, but once on it goes a little buttery and creamy. I sense the soft florals on the dry-down, but I don't smell any of the coconut. This is warm and cool at the same time on me, and absolutely superb. Snow White has something fresh and clean about it, while still being calm and fluffy.

My only problem with it is the lack of throw. Boy had to get all up in my neck before he commented on how good I smelled. Also, my skin eats it up; I think it was gone within the first two/two and a half hours. I either have to slather or reapply often with this one, but I still love it.