Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
StormtrooperPrincess

Recs for Role-Playing Games (RPG), LARP and Cosplay

A fougere is a traditional masculine cologne blend. Not sure what makes it white.

I like White Rabbit quite a bit. It is smooth and comforting to me. And for what it's worth, I can't wear Dorian at all: sickly sweet vanilla with headache-y cologne on top.

If you can wear foody scents, I would go with something like Eat Me, rather than a tea scent to match the picture. The scents with tea in them are mostly more refined and that picture has more of a country cottage look to me.

A fougere is a traditional masculine cologne blend. Not sure what makes it white.

I like White Rabbit quite a bit. It is smooth and comforting to me. And for what it's worth, I can't wear Dorian at all: sickly sweet vanilla with headache-y cologne on top.

If you can wear foody scents, I would go with something like Eat Me, rather than a tea scent to match the picture. The scents with tea in them are mostly more refined and that picture has more of a country cottage look to me.

Thats why Bread-And-Butterfly ended up on my list. But I've heard that its pretty weak and doesn't really hold the heavy butter/bread scent that'd work for a Tea-Party scent. Is that true for you or anyone you know?

I love this anime! When my husband and I were in Japan, we picked up ever blind box of Hetalia we could find, and we got a chibi Great Britain!

And I would totally say Dorian, too.

So, after searching for 'kobold', 'dragon', and finding nothing for 'rpg', I figure it's safe to make my own thread. This is a pretty specific request, but if there's a thread like this I've overlooked, don't hesitate to show me.

I'm going to be playing a character in a LARP, and I need something a bit....odd. I'm looking to get a specific kind of reaction, so bear with me...

First off, she's a kobold with heavy draconic blood (a kobold is basically a 2 and a half foot tall dragon/lizard person), an elemental sorcerer (either water or fire, I'd love suggestions for either), and thinks she's destined to rule her species. She's not a -bad- person, she's actually pretty nice. She's just been raised as if she were royalty. She dresses in robes, but takes very good care of herself. For a kobold though, I think this would only enhance her 'natural' smell, instead of making her smell normal.

To be blunt, I want her to stink. I don't want it to be an obviously 'bad' smell, but I want it to be something that can be pretty strong without me having to dump an imp on myself. I don't want it to be exactly pleasant though, just 'odd'. Musky. I know I probably want dragon's blood in it, but I'm open to other recommendations as well. I'd also love it to smell slightly aquatic, since she's descended from an aquatic dragon. Aquatic notes don't usually work at all on me but...this time it's kind of the point. She also uses fear spells, so something unnerving would be awesome.

I would be very up for layering advice as well, I'm totally okay with layering a bunch of smells and seeing what happens. One for 'draconic', one for 'aquatic' and one for 'scary'. Maybe another for 'full of herself'. ;D

Hopefully this, coupled with a half mask, makeup, robes, and a thick 'draconic' accent will make my costume believable.

These are some of the blends I thought of while reading your post:

*Czernobog (Excolo) - "A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein." I find this to be heavy on the dirty musks. You might also try Satyr for some intense, dirty muskiness.

*Mage (RPG) - "All mystique and thrumming power: gurjum balsam, Sumatran dragon's blood resin, olibanum, galangal, oleo gum resin, and frankincense."

*The Pool of Tears (Mad Tea Party) - "A sea of salty tears drowning out Alice's light floral perfume." Something about this always smells like a frosty, gritty aquatic to me.

And, of course, there are the Ars Draconis blends for a bunch of dragon's blood + blends.

Oh wow, quick responses! Thank you so much! Right now I'm rocking a TON of dragon's heart, some dragon's musk, a bit of banded sea snake (me trying to replicate a watery..thing, idk), and the pool of tears. Right now it's not as strong as I'd like, and a lot of the scents seem to cancel each other out. I'll try to get some dragon's tears (is it new? I thought I had all of the dragon's blood blends, but that one eluded me). The florals are going kind of...meh on me, so I think I'll try to down it out with some more dragon's heart. Dragon's musk seems to be a bit too...sexy, I guess?

Don't worry, at this point drowning myself in perfume is the point. XD Seems I'll have to invest in some bottles.

Here is a "recs for role-playing games, LARP, and cosplay" thread on the forum :)

Some people say that BPAL's Troll is a rather "stinky" smell, so maybe it would work for you... it's described as A lurching, hateful, bitter scent. This is a gruesome blend of ghastly greens and blacks: vetiver, pine pitch, troll musk, black basil, clove smoke, and scorched cumin. I understand that you mentioned aquatics more than fire or burning smells, but when I think of BPALs that may be strong/potentially off-putting, that's where my mind goes, so I'm thinking of Brimstone, Scarecrow, and Djinn. I also got the same sense from Bohun Upas, but that doesn't seem to be shared by many reviewers, so maybe it's just me!

Edited by neptuneanblues

Blends that came to mind:

Serpent's Kiss (GC) Seething with passion, yet utterly cold-blooded. Dragon’s blood, vetivert and spice.

Described in reviews as "nightmarish, stinky, dark yet almost watery, aggressive, feral, sour in a dirty sort of way, a little bit dangerous, scary, strange, sharp and immediately disagreeable" and the list continues! It sounds like this might be exactly what you're looking for.

Aeaea (LE '07) A dark ocean breeze, electric with adrenaline, magic, and fear, clashing with the thick scent of poisoned berries and spiny aloe, against a backdrop of snowdrop, cedar, and cypress.

One review says "aquatic with a weird acid edge".

Maybe if you layered the two? Now I'm curious!

Blends that came to mind:

Aeaea (LE '07) A dark ocean breeze, electric with adrenaline, magic, and fear, clashing with the thick scent of poisoned berries and spiny aloe, against a backdrop of snowdrop, cedar, and cypress.

One review says "aquatic with a weird acid edge".

Aeaea was really light on me and sort of weirdly... peachy? Sort of like a fuzzy navel made with cheap and acidic sour mix. That someone then dumped into a salt marsh. But with no boozy edge. Definitely qualifies as 'weird', though.

For the aquatic dragon, do you want something marshy, or something oceanic -- salt or fresh?

I would consider some of the civet blends and layer with a dragon's blood.

Actually: Glasya - A seething, fiery blend of dragon,s blood, deep myrrh, red and black musks, civet and thick red patchouli, glistening with drops of rose and ylang ylang.

One of these blends layered with a dragon's blood could give you the more royalty aspect, without losing the oddness:

Debauchery - Mingled heady civet and red Egyptian musk, thickened with opium.

Pulse Points-A profoundly erotic, lascivious scent. Black poppy, narcissus and civet.

Morella - Sage with orris, Florentine iris and a drop of civet

dragon's blood thoughts:

Dragon's Musk - Dragon’s blood and five deep musks.

Dragon's Heart - dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

maybe Blood? - Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

more civet blends to browse:

Puck - Oakmoss, sweet sage, juniper berry, civet and a drop of grape.

Allegory- Juniper and white cedarwood entwined with orange and raw civet.

Deimos- Murky ambergris and civet with dark musk, sharpened by orange, bergamot and frankincense.

Entropy-The perfect distillate of decay, death, and damnation. Blood red patchouli saturated with black poppy, civet and a hint of rose.

Czernoborg (probably civet) - Dark and fresh and manly, with a touch of pine.

Satyr (probably civet) - A ferociously masculine scent: sexual, vigorous, and truly wild.

Black Annis - damp cave lichen and oak leaf with a hint of vetiver, civet and anise.

So, after searching for 'kobold', 'dragon', and finding nothing for 'rpg', I figure it's safe to make my own thread. This is a pretty specific request, but if there's a thread like this I've overlooked, don't hesitate to show me.

. . .

The current forum search engine won't find three-letter words, unfortunately - and the current version also doesn't seem to search subtitles of threads like previous versions have. So this thread was hiding from you! No worries though.

for some aquatic love...

Mary Read sounds like it might be a good match and I don't think anyone suggested it yet:Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder.

the Phoenix was another acquatic that combined the blood note and ocean.Sea air, gunpowder, lime, salt-crusted wood, a splash of blood, and a dribble of Snake Oil.

Dragon's Tears does sound like another good fit.

I'm going to be playing a character in a LARP, and I need something a bit....odd. I'm looking to get a specific kind of reaction, so bear with me...

I would be very up for layering advice as well, I'm totally okay with layering a bunch of smells and seeing what happens. One for 'draconic', one for 'aquatic' and one for 'scary'. Maybe another for 'full of herself'. ;D

Hopefully this, coupled with a half mask, makeup, robes, and a thick 'draconic' accent will make my costume believable.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're going for, but I remember finding one of the Baba Yaga scents (in Marchen -- Fire for Thy Stepmother's Daughters) rather unnerving. Made me think of a perfumed woman burnt to a crisp, but it was really subtle. I could easily see it being the scent of, say, a spell component bag or something like that, however. Not sure how detailed you want to get, but maybe mixed with dry leaves and a cut up incense stick in a little pouch? Dunno. :)

Good luck, though. I miss gaming and seeing all the cool things people would come up with for more unusual characters. :)

PS: Just remembered something stanky that happened a week or so ago.. let my friend try out Slippery Poppy Tincture, and wooooah did it smell stinky on her. Like the smell ladybugs make when they get scared and piddle. She may be one in a million, but it was quite interesting to say the least.

Edited by wishingwell

For the aquatic dragon, do you want something marshy, or something oceanic -- salt or fresh?

Marshy, actually. :) I'd be happy with either though, probably.

Thank you for all the advice guys! I actually did something silly yesterday and tried to layer secretions manifique (by Etat Libre d'Orange, look it up if you don't know what it it...it's...interesting) with dragon's heart. The dragon's heart made it smell less...horrid, but it was still pretty bad. Not really fitting for my character, but some horrible part of me kind of wants to try it out, because it -is- strong enough. If I could get that kind of strength with another bpal, I'd be all for that.

Just now tried debauchery. Layering it with dragon's tears once I get it might work. The civet doesn't turn into anything horrible on my skin, but my mom says it smells really soapy. I'm still open to ideas though. Black Annis really sounds like it might work if I layer it with one of the dragon's blood blends. :)

It's my friends birthday and she's organized a LARP for the afternoon and I'm trying to figure out what to wear as scent plays a big part with my character...

This is the story: "From the dawn of ages the light and noble elves, glowing (and sparkling) faeries,

the fighting men of the rocks, tribes of trolls strong and wild (and how to say it gently - smelly) have been fighting for this magical land, storms and floods abound - the goblins, dwarves and swamp devils have been considering moving on to apartments!

It seemed that both sides are proud, each unwilling to compromise (although everyone had long ago forgotten why they were fighting in the first place).

Unfortunately for the real estate agents, new hope of peace came:

Princess of the elves, Ophelia, reached the age of maturity and will inherit the kingdom.

And to coronation ball - she invited trolls.

The King of Trolls had even done something outstanding for peace - and announced that in honor of the occasion will have bath!

Both sides are of mixed opinions: there are those who would love to return to the days of peace, when the fights were rare and it was possible to drink a glass of wine leisurely / eat gravel crispy without fear of a flying axe ripping your head off. On the other hand, some do not want to ally with the barbarians / sparkly pillow biters, who do not like destroying their routine and if their neighbors will leave the forest - it would be a wonderful bonus!"

My character is a human, a mad scientist who knows mythical creatures exist even if no body else does! People think me insane and I lost my place in the academy.

But I don't care, I know the Trolls are the ones causing these earthquakes and the dastardly faeries hypnotize humans to their owns needs and must be stopped!

One day I manged to create a scent that makes me smell just like a elf and allow me the ability to masquerade as one without being noticed. I have manged to get myself invited to the ball and my goal is to learn as much as possible in order to stop the faeries taking over the world by any means possible, even kidnapping the princess!

So what do you think a mad scientist pretending to be a elf should smell like? Any suggestions?

Edited by Shirel

I may be being a little stupid with this question, but would you mind explaining what a LARP is?

LARP means live action role play.

There are a number of scents that might be good for an elf.

There is Elf and Half Elf in the RPG section, and Fae, Dana 'o shee, the Forest Reverie, La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente, Leanan Sidhe, and Veil in Bewitching Brews, Belle Vinu and Egle, Rapunzel, and Vasilissa in Marchen, and also The Lilac Wood, The Last Unicorn, The Butterfly, Magic Do As You Will, The King's Daughter, and Lady Amalthea in The Last Unicorn section.

Thanks for the recomendations everyone (and sorry mods, I was on my phone and didn't see there was already a topic for this)

Sadly I don't have elf but I do have bella vinu, vassillisa, the kings daughter and a few others. I'll try layering those and see what comes out the nicest :-)

Hi there,

I'm looking for suggestions for my tabletop Star Wars character. She's an imperial officer from "deep core" world nobility, passed over for promotion due to family political problems. She is a very charismatic leader, but arrogant and a little bit of a live wire at the moment since she doesn't really have a career to destroy.

I'm thinking Major Kira Nerys from DS9 crossed with S.H.I.E.L.D's Maria Hill with a dash of Brave's Queen Elinor.

So what does she smell like?

Oh, her planet is expert in nanotechnology, so she will be able to recreate any scent with NANITES.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by tziporra

I'm trying to think of unpredictable blends that might give off a Queenly or Sci-fi vibe...*think think*

How About:

Kubla Khan

Queen

Nephilim

Maenad

Chaotic

The Great Sword of War

No. 93 Engine

Jezirat Al Tennyn

Or some combination of those :)

Whoo cosplay bump for Otakon!

I need recommendations for the following;

1.) Orihime Inoue from Bleach

2.) Priestess Rao from Okami (I'm currently using Kitsune-Tsuki)

3.) 50's diner waitress-turned-zombie

4.) Duo Maxwell from Gundam Wing

5.) Ariel from The Little Mermaid (in human dress)

6.) Dante from Devil May Cry

Thoughts?