Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
StormtrooperPrincess

Recs for Role-Playing Games (RPG), LARP and Cosplay

I've just gotten back into D&D, of all things, after 30+ years. I'm old. I played D&D when Gary Gygax was running off the rule books on a ditto machine, stapling them together, and handing them to you himself. OK, not that long, but some days it feels like it.

ANYway, my character is a half-elven wizard named Maira who has a snake for a familiar. She's skeptical, cautious but inquisitive (she tends to be the group's go-to for anything involving questioning), and she doesn't mind using her femininity to get answers. She's a bit like Rosalind Russell with blonde hair and a wand. :)

Idears?

This is a fantastic thread. As another vampire LARPer and pretty new to BPAL, I'd love some suggestions for a character. Key words for her are regal, sinister and alien. Any good ideas?

Hi all. I'm new here, but I figured I'd dive right in. I'm looking for scents to use while playing my favorite characters in games, both to get me deeper in character, and to give off the impression of being the character a bit better.

Niccodemus: A crazy old wizard, living in the desert. After an indeterminate amount of time, he has returned to the world at large, but he carries the scent of the burning sands with him, and a hint of the arcane power he commands. He is a priest of a necromantic goddess whose favored inscence is Mhyrr.

Apocks O'Nyuu: A steam engineer of the victorian age, Poxy is a master of sabotage who likes his cigars cheap, his whiskey neat, and can never seem to get the reek of vitriol and soot out of his hair. He wears a leather jacket stained with engine oil and grease, and I was hoping for a smoky, industrial scent to apply to the jacket, with a smoky, boozy scent for my skin or to mix into an unscented shampoo.

Jake Curien: A callous veteran of the wars, Jake is a lieutenant from the frozen north. He is as bitter as any Commissar, and has the faint, unsettling scent of some eldritch horror about him at all times. I'm looking for something that's either Bitter, Cold and Harsh, or something that evokes the creeping horror of the Tindelos (or some other creature from the Mythos). Maybe something from the C'thulhu section? But the most important scent with him should be cold.

I get the feeling that some of these should be easy to find a match for, but I'm still relatively new to Bpal, and I don't know the catalogue very well. Thanks for any help.

Edit: Forgot to mention that these are all Larp characters, so I'll need scents that'll stand up to the outdoors, even if they're only faint.

Edited by Niccodemus

Hi :wave: These are some ideas that came to mind for your characters, but keep in mind I've only tried one of them ;)

Niccodemus: A crazy old wizard, living in the desert. After an indeterminate amount of time, he has returned to the world at large, but he carries the scent of the burning sands with him, and a hint of the arcane power he commands. He is a priest of a necromantic goddess whose favored inscence is Mhyrr.

Ozymandias (bewitching brews): Dry desert air, dry and hot, passing over crumbling stone megaliths and plundered golden monuments, bearing a hint of the incense of lost Gods on its winds, or maybe

Omen, (bewitching brews): Deep, mysterious, and full of dark portents: oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli.

Apocks O'Nyuu: A steam engineer of the victorian age, Poxy is a master of sabotage who likes his cigars cheap, his whiskey neat, and can never seem to get the reek of vitriol and soot out of his hair. He wears a leather jacket stained with engine oil and grease, and I was hoping for a smoky, industrial scent to apply to the jacket, with a smoky, boozy scent for my skin or to mix into an unscented shampoo.

The Steamworks category is worth a look for this, but particularly:

Robotic scarab: Polished metallic notes, glossy leather, frankincense, star anise, and thin lubricating oils.

Smokestack: Creosote, coal, and industrial waste.

Jake Curien: A callous veteran of the wars, Jake is a lieutenant from the frozen north. He is as bitter as any Commissar, and has the faint, unsettling scent of some eldritch horror about him at all times. I'm looking for something that's either Bitter, Cold and Harsh, or something that evokes the creeping horror of the Tindelos (or some other creature from the Mythos). Maybe something from the C'thulhu section? But the most important scent with him should be cold.

The only cold scent I've tried is Kumari Kandam: Thick incense, clay, stone, and hothouse blooms with a spike of frost, a hint of decay, and heavy, dolorous aquatic notes. This is cold for me, and I don't really notice the floral, so it could be worth a try. I think there are also some snowy scents in the salon category.

I noticed also that in the newbie mixer you mentioned a library type scent? I like Dee for that, which is leather, rosewood, parchment and incense; Aziraphale and Miskatonic University might be worth a try, too.

Hope this helps!

One Piece cosplayer AHOY! So we and some of my con buddies want to do a one piece cosplay and were wondering if anyway has any suggests for the Straw hat crew? The main ones I'm looking for is something for Sanji, Zoro and Nami, but any of the others would be awesome too. They make such great con gifts after all XP

One Piece cosplayer AHOY! So we and some of my con buddies want to do a one piece cosplay and were wondering if anyway has any suggests for the Straw hat crew? The main ones I'm looking for is something for Sanji, Zoro and Nami, but any of the others would be awesome too. They make such great con gifts after all XP

Man, I love One Piece! I have to give this a shot.

Zoro wouldn't be caught dead wearing any perfume but his own manly, manly musk, of course. So I definitely recommend something very earthy and musky. Off the top of my head? Al-Azif or Brown Jenkin. Black Pearl's another good one, and somewhat in theme.

Sanji can run towards foppish, so I definitely see him splashing on a little aftershave or something. Jolly Roger? Vicomte de Valmont as a runner up.

And any fragrance for Nami has to include oranges of some sort, right? Akuma might be good for that, or Blood Countess.

Edited by CaptainEcchi

Any suggestions for Starbuck and/or Apollo from Battlestar Galactica (the newer series, not the original one)?

I think Ogun could be a fun scent for Starbuck. A nice cigar smoke, boozey, melon scent. On the masculine side, but not to masculine.

Hmm, if I wanted to enable a friend who does the RP thing...what scents would be appropriate for Changeling's Slugah?

Maybe something on the damp, dark or musty side would work.

Edited by patina

Hi all!! I am *hopfully* going to the phoenix comic con in May and I was wondering what scent would best fit my costume!

I'm going to go as Dr. Girlfriend from venture bros! So I was thinking something pink and creamy...but with a tinge of masculenity* if you have seen the cartoon you will completly understand why. Haha! If you haven't seen the cartoon Dr. GF is a very attractive super villianess with an all pink lab coat dress, a matching pill box hat and a raspy man voice. She is wife to the villian called "The Monarch"-a skinny evil butterfly themed super villian.(My real life boyfriend is going to go as him). Looking forward to seeing what ya'll come up with based on my crazy description. :P

Man, I love One Piece! I have to give this a shot.

Zoro wouldn't be caught dead wearing any perfume but his own manly, manly musk, of course. So I definitely recommend something very earthy and musky. Off the top of my head? Al-Azif or Brown Jenkin. Black Pearl's another good one, and somewhat in theme.

Sanji can run towards foppish, so I definitely see him splashing on a little aftershave or something. Jolly Roger? Vicomte de Valmont as a runner up.

And any fragrance for Nami has to include oranges of some sort, right? Akuma might be good for that, or Blood Countess.

Actually got some of those and they worked wonderfully. Jolly roger though ended up being for another character from the series, but I'm not sure how far you gotten in the series so i don't want to spoil anything.

Hi all!! I am *hopfully* going to the phoenix comic con in May and I was wondering what scent would best fit my costume!

I'm going to go as Dr. Girlfriend from venture bros! So I was thinking something pink and creamy...but with a tinge of masculenity* if you have seen the cartoon you will completly understand why. Haha! If you haven't seen the cartoon Dr. GF is a very attractive super villianess with an all pink lab coat dress, a matching pill box hat and a raspy man voice. She is wife to the villian called "The Monarch"-a skinny evil butterfly themed super villian.(My real life boyfriend is going to go as him). Looking forward to seeing what ya'll come up with based on my crazy description. :P

I was Dr. Girlfriend for Halloween last year, she is ridiculously fun to portray! I think "Liz" would be perfect for Dr. Girlfriend. (Unfortunately it doesn't work very well on me... Ugh.) Mostly vanilla and floral, but also leather and smoke. However, given her fashion choice, I could see her wearing a really classic fashionable perfume, like Chanel No 5, so something similar in the BPAL collection like Ozymandias might be a good choice.

I was Dr. Girlfriend for Halloween last year, she is ridiculously fun to portray! I think "Liz" would be perfect for Dr. Girlfriend. (Unfortunately it doesn't work very well on me... Ugh.) Mostly vanilla and floral, but also leather and smoke. However, given her fashion choice, I could see her wearing a really classic fashionable perfume, like Chanel No 5, so something similar in the BPAL collection like Ozymandias might be a good choice.

this is very true. Trouble is most "classic" perfumes dont like my skin. BUT its Bpal soo I could have way surprising results. i will look for an imp of both. =)

By the way did you make your own costume? Im looking for a way to make the hat :lol:

By the way did you make your own costume? Im looking for a way to make the hat :lol:

I have the same problem with those types of scents (everything goes really overpowering and it seems my least favorite note works its way to the top), though I find in general my skin is really finicky.

I did. I made the hat with a buckram form and leftover fabric from the dress. (I wanted to make the buckram form, too, because the one i found locally was slightly off, but I ran out of time!) Here's a good site for hat forms, you would probably want the small pillbox. (Here's my finished costume: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/299454..._51a13745b7.jpg . Wish I didn't rush making it, that extra button where the flap starts is driving me nuts!)

It randomly popped in my head while I was at work today, O could be really nice for Dr. Girlfriend too, it has vanilla, honey, and amber.

Edited by stitchpirate

I have the same problem with those types of scents (everything goes really overpowering and it seems my least favorite note works its way to the top), though I find in general my skin is really finicky.

I did. I made the hat with a buckram form and leftover fabric from the dress. (I wanted to make the buckram form, too, because the one i found locally was slightly off, but I ran out of time!) Here's a good site for hat forms, you would probably want the small pillbox. (Here's my finished costume: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/299454..._51a13745b7.jpg . Wish I didn't rush making it, that extra button where the flap starts is driving me nuts!)

It randomly popped in my head while I was at work today, O could be really nice for Dr. Girlfriend too, it has vanilla, honey, and amber.

Ah alas O is playdough on my skin. :cry2: Yours costume looks wonderful by the way!!! I can't wait to do mine. i will send you a pic when its done :wub2:

For Dr. Girlfriend i think i decided on Highstrung Daisies. The theme doesnt match but its a PINK scent and for some reason it turns into a soft vanilla after awhile.

Thank god there's this thread, because I've been desperately looking for a recommendation based on a character ;)

I'm a huge fan of Lost's subplot (or rather, overreaching plot) of Jacob and the Man in Black.

I've sort of found my two scents I associate with the Man in Black, namely Iago and Smokestack, but I really want to find the perfect Jacob scent.

I'm looking for something evocative, more than anything of bright, warm sunlight, of the sea, but the beach rather than the ocean, so not too strong an aquatic, old fabric, maybe something musky, something with amber?

I'm thinking of trying Coyote again because I remember it nailing the sunlight and musk parts, but it's not particularly ocean-y.

Edited by voorishsign

I'm looking for two, with some similar notes. I'm still terribly new to bpal, but scents for cosplay are what brought me in in the first place.

Like Ender, I'm looking for something that would suit Zuko from Avatar. But I don't want anything that just outright smells like something burning (which is what Djinn sounds like). I'd rather have something where there's a hint of fire in the background, but that mostly smells like an emo exiled Asian prince. Preferably something I could wear out of costume as well, that just has that hint of danger to it. (Recommendations for any other Avatar characters would be appreciated as well!)

The other one is for Witch Hunter Robin. I'd like something like "Liz" (again with the hint of fire underneath) but with something besides florals and vanilla on top (those are more or less no-no's for me). Something that smells a little out of place in the modern world would be fantastic, and evocative of the color black would be a plus.

I generally can't rock the florals, and try to stay away from excessively sweet scents. I tend to prefer fragrances that are a bit more masculine or androgynous than terribly girly.

I am a gamer geek and am planning to participate in a LARP in which I am playing an inventor.

I love matching scents to my characters for an extra layer of immersion, so I wanted to know if anyone had any reccomendations on scents that might work for this character. I was looking for a very steampunk scent... something with a metalic and oily smell since she spends most of her time building airships and tinkering in her workshop. I ordered an imp of Phoenix Steamworks, which sounded like a good fit, but I was wondering if anyone had any other reccomendations that might work. Thanks! :)

Edited by childdoll

I am a gamer geek and am planning to participate in a LARP in which I am playing an inventor.

I love matching scents to my characters for an extra layer of immersion, so I wanted to know if anyone had any reccomendations on scents that might work for this character. I was looking for a very steampunk scent... something with a metalic and oily smell since she spends most of her time building airships and tinkering in her workshop. I ordered an imp of Phoenix Steamworks, which sounded like a good fit, but I was wondering if anyone had any other reccomendations that might work. Thanks! :)

The new and much coveted Rivet Goth, if you can get your hands on it, would be a good fit. It smells like oil and leather--and more like oil than leather, at least to me. It gave me the sensory experience of walking into a hardware store like ACE, where they don't carry lots of wood (like home depot), so you get hit hard by that unadulterated oil smell when you walk in. Really interesting and odd, and, as it sounds, perfect for what you described.

Hmm, if I wanted to enable a friend who does the RP thing...what scents would be appropriate for Changeling's Slugah?

Cool, a Changeling player! Give them my regards; I'm a consummate White Wolf fan. :D

Destroying Angel is my favorite damp scent. It's inspired by a mushroom, and literally smells like one to me. :lol: I don't think I'm alone, either:

"Fits Description?: Yes. Wow." - Kikkervisje

"Very, very much like moist earth and rotting plants." - Invidiana

"There is a definite dustiness to the soil note; it's more like aged, dried dirt, like you'd find in a basement." -QueenFae

"I'd get wafts from it and just cringe. I mean, you shouldn't smell like mushrooms and my natural reaction is "oh god, what's growing on me?!"" - CaffinatedAngel

Failing that, most of the "dirt" type scents would probably work. I'll go run a search and see if any others ring bells.

ETA: Here's some others that could be interesting:

Black Annis

Burial

Deep in Earth

Yorick

Edited by furiana

I would also have to suggest Rivet.Goth. It's actually the scent I have for my mechanic lass I RP sometimes. It's very much like walking into a mechanic's shop. However, if you want something more readily available, I would also suggest looking into Galvanic Goggles. At least on me, it's more of a thin, oily metallic scent than anything else.

Cool, a Changeling player! Give them my regards; I'm a consummate White Wolf fan. :D

Awesome! And I was afraid people would throw tomatos. :lol: I sniffed Destroying Angel and got bell peppers weirdly enough but I'll have to give my friend the imp (enabling yay!) I'm also considering Zombi and Yorick.

The great thing about black phoenix is it has almost any character you want already covered. Boggan? Dana O'Shee and so on...

Edited by patina

Awesome! And I was afraid people would throw tomatos. :lol: I sniffed Destroying Angel and got bell peppers weirdly enough but I'll have to give my friend the imp (enabling yay!) I'm also considering Zombi and Yorick.

The great thing about black phoenix is it has almost any character you want already covered. Boggan? Dana O'Shee and so on...

I definitely suggest Black Annis for a sluagh. :)

Any VTMers in here?

ravnos FTW :twisted:

I actually have a tat of the Tzimisce ouroboros on my right bicep. hehe. i <3 Chiropteran Maurauders. :cthulhu: