Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
StormtrooperPrincess

Recs for Role-Playing Games (RPG), LARP and Cosplay

Ahah! Precisely the thread I need!I'm playing in a Changeling LARP, and I need to get my hands on a scent that has a very strong apple flavour, with a hint of fermentation underneath. It has to be noticeable, but not overwhelming- I was thinking of rinsing my hair in apple juice after shampooing to get a similar effect.Any recs? It doesn't exclusively have to be BPAL, but i'd prefer it if it was!

Thanks!

I'm a bit of a Final Fantasy VII geek and I'm dying to cosplay Cid Highwind. Any suggestions? I'm going to give Mechcanical Phoenix a try....also something that is Hojoish for my next covention

Perhaps try stuff out of the Steamworks? I can see Galvanic Goggles fitting him somehow, although something a little airy-er would be perfect.

=^..^=

Edited by Kittenmorag

ALCYONE is a drow cleric. Like most drow, she doesn't beleive in freindships, love, or anything of that sort. However, she also shys away from alliances, thinking that she is best alone. This may have root in her basic personality: she truly functions best when she is alone. In most ways, she is like an icicle: cold, solitary, and deadly.

Hmm; from the GC, maybe Ultraviolet, Niflheim, or Black Forest, and if you can get your hands on them the LEs Black Ice and Numb.

And one from D&D...WILLOW is a free-spirited half-elven Druid. She tends to be off in her own little world (read: communing with nature) and thus is a little socially awkward. She dreams of a peaceful world, but realizes that that is impossible. Knowing this, she will fight to protect the people she loves.

Hmm. Bewitched, Phantom Queen, Mag Mell and Rosalind from the GC are all quiet and freshly green/herbal, something a quiet and nature-loving person might enjoy. The Rappacini's Garden scents in general might be a good category to explore too. None of these are dirt scents, though, if that's something you feel would be a component; that might have to come from another recc'er :P

No recs on the cosplay one, sorry!

Ahah! Precisely the thread I need!I'm playing in a Changeling LARP, and I need to get my hands on a scent that has a very strong apple flavour, with a hint of fermentation underneath. It has to be noticeable, but not overwhelming- I was thinking of rinsing my hair in apple juice after shampooing to get a similar effect.Any recs? It doesn't exclusively have to be BPAL, but i'd prefer it if it was!

Hmmm. Strong apples and fermentation; The Mock Turtle's Lessons. But on me, it was more than a "hint" of fermentation, it would probably get me a breathalyzer if I got pulled over! but someone whose chemistry didn't amp alcohol notes would probably have better luck. Verdandi might be worth trying out too, I get a kind of hard-cider vibe from that, crisp but not QUITE boozy.

Edited by northatlantic

I'm a casual lurker and sniffer, and I love how great you guys are for picking out scents for cosplay. I wondering if any of you have recommendations for the following characters from DC comics a group of friends and I are going to be cosplaying at a convention.

The Joker

Two-face

Speedy/Arsenal

The Riddler

Question

Redhood (Jason Todd)

Nightwing

Black Canary

Huntress

Oracle

Robin

Green Arrow

Scarecrow

I think I posted in this thread once before - waaaaaaaaaaay back - but I need your help again.

A dear friend of mine is cosplaying Saber from Fate/Stay Night in a few month's time (I'm helping her make the armour, and it's a bitch)

I'm not totally familiar with the character (I'm only about halfway through the anime, and I've only played what bits of the game I've been able to beg translation from my Japanese friends for) but she seems to be very powerful and yet feminine, loyal, honourable, direct and slightly stubborn.

She's also King Arthur, or his (her) reincarnation - Go figure ^.^

My friend is very keen to emphasise the fact that Saber is a little bit magical/unreal/out of this world, and although she doesn't wear a lot of BPAL she really likes the idea of having Saber smell unusual and memorable (And also partially hide the fact that it's going to be a VERY hot costume!). She's got similar skin chemistry to mine, but slightly different tastes; AFAIK it basically boils down to: No vetiver, patchouli, red musk, or ozone: chocolate, cinnamon and booze notes don't work very well: and a dislike of overt violets, rose, berry notes, and citrus.

Also it has to be a GC scent, as she's planning on slathering herself in the stuff and probably using up about half a bottle over the two days, and I'd hate to see that happen to a LE.

Ta ^.^

ETA: Apparantly jasmine and wisteria are also right out - they go NASTY on her skin.

Edited by GentlemanCaller

Ooh, Two Face. He's without a doubt my favourite Batman character. I think he'd wear something from the Lovecraft collection; something born of pure, screaming insanity. Nyarlathotep springs to mind. Or how about Old Scratch; it's certainly dapper and dangerous enough. And hey, he used to be a prosecutor :P Alternatively, you could always play up the tragic, melancholy side of his story with something faintly floral.

Black Canary is easy enough - try Whip. Rose and damp black leather.

Alright, people, today is my first day at the new job and since it's member appreciation day, the theme is pirates for some reason.

I don't have any of the pirate-y smells, but I do have Whip -- which has leather and roses. Would that work?

Alright, people, today is my first day at the new job and since it's member appreciation day, the theme is pirates for some reason.

I don't have any of the pirate-y smells, but I do have Whip -- which has leather and roses. Would that work?

I don't see why not! Very cavalier-pirate, kinda privateer-y. Alternatively, if you have any aquatics at all, those could work.

Or Greed, which is actually rather green and woodsy and delicious. :P

Oh, I do have Sea of Glass! Maybe I'll try layering them (or wearing one on my wrists and one on my neck) and see if that works.

Edited by Valerie

Ooh, Two Face. He's without a doubt my favourite Batman character. I think he'd wear something from the Lovecraft collection; something born of pure, screaming insanity. Nyarlathotep springs to mind. Or how about Old Scratch; it's certainly dapper and dangerous enough. And hey, he used to be a prosecutor :P Alternatively, you could always play up the tragic, melancholy side of his story with something faintly floral.

Black Canary is easy enough - try Whip. Rose and damp black leather.

:D Yes, I agree with Whip I have an imp of it and it hates me, so I'll more then likely fork it over to her. Hades was another I was thinking of for Harv because of the floral. <3

I'm larping and playing a gangrel-character.

About her; Dangerous and feral as any gangrel, still suprisingly cultivated. Her black dress is fine with black lace, but torn at many places where the skin shows. Always black; also her animal form, a raven. Her hair is billowing, with black feathers in it. She was born in the 18th century in the nordic country sweden. She's cold but sensual, at the same time. Intellectual although old-fashioned. One of her disciplines is dominate.

About her; Dangerous and feral as any gangrel, still suprisingly cultivated. Her black dress is fine with black lace, but torn at many places where the skin shows. Always black; also her animal form, a raven. Her hair is billowing, with black feathers in it. She was born in the 18th century in the nordic country sweden. She's cold but sensual, at the same time. Intellectual although old-fashioned. One of her disciplines is dominate.

Loviatar , mayhap ?

Edited by CoopieCat

I tend to overdo my suggestions, but I enjoy this =)

so, suggestions for the gangrel/raven by reason:

the name:

Black Lace, The Raven, Torture Queen, La Belle Dame Sans Merci, Omen, Bloodlust, Nemesis

the concept:

Blood, Blood Amber, Umbra, Darkness, Haunted, Thanatopsis, Kitsune-Tsuki, Phobos, Oya, Thanatos, Alecto

the feel/scent:

Black Opal, Black Tower, Lurid, Crossroads, Niflheim, Gaueko,

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, venture, Brujah, Malkavians, Lazombra, Tzimisce, the assamites, followers of set, Gangrel, Giovanni, Ravnos and the elusive Cathayan vampires of Asia, and all the others...

What fragrance would you picture them having?

If you were to go to a vampire's 130th unbirthday, what scent would you give as a present, that they would like enough not to drink you? In general? Based on clan?

This is also the place to ask for tip-offs on fragrances to your own vampire roleplay-characters!

Also say if you would wear the scent when not being in character - and if you actually, truly like it.

(I know that there's another thread about general larp-scents, but there's so many posts there now about different things that I wanted to create a readable one about One topic, the vampire clans. If not wanted, please erase it instead of moving it into the other thread.)

Edited by Jennie

There's actually already a sizeable thread somewhere on RPGs, with lots of Vampire clan recommendations so the mods are probably going to move this post over at some point. :P

That said, I'd go for Graveyard Dirt or Burial for the Nosferatu, and something very dignified and Roman-style for the Ventrue!

I wonder if you should have darker scents for all vampires. Toreador is more human, in a way, so perhaps they could have a lighter, sweeter scent. Still they seem almost decandent. Dorian? Some victioran darker scent? You get the impression that all vampire clans are dark and seductive though, don't you? Perhaps there's a base that matches all clans? Myrrh, mysk?

Edited by Jennie

Im looking for an appropriate scent for my character, which is a Elegant Gothic Lolita homocidal maniac. She talks through her doll....funny thing is, shes awfully like Mana from Malice Mizer...which I woulda realized that sooner!

Anyways, I like roses, some patchouli, some amber, vanillas, sugars, some teas, some foody scents

I really really HATE florals or anything with lavender, gardenia, jasmine or lilac. Gives me a migraine.

So...any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Zarita....

I kow Lolita wouldnt be great for me....too sweet.

Gratze!

-E

DORIAN.

Also, if you haven't already, I'd consider at least trying Titania or Phantom Queen - they are florals, but heavy on the fruit as well. Maybe Gennivre or Pulcinella and Teresina from the Carnival as well.

If you can get a bottle of the forum-only scent Lillith Victoria that might be perfect. Its a blend of Dorian and Snake Oil with some other notes. On me its a warm, spicy vanilla like Woah and lasts forever.

If you can get a bottle of the forum-only scent Lillith Victoria that might be perfect. Its a blend of Dorian and Snake Oil with some other notes. On me its a warm, spicy vanilla like Woah and lasts forever.

Lillith Victoria?

Where do you find out about forum only scents?

I actually put in an order for a bottle of Dorian.....crossing my fingers. Im sure ill love it...Im a little worrried about the "victorian fougere" bit.../that usually has lilac or somethingin it......

Thanks for all the suggestions.....also, have any of you tried Black Rose? I was considering that one too....I do really LOVE some rose scents...I guess im just picky....

Where do you find out about forum only scents?

I actually put in an order for a bottle of Dorian.....crossing my fingers. Im sure ill love it...Im a little worrried about the "victorian fougere" bit.../that usually has lilac or somethingin it......

They ought to all be under the Announcements subforum.

If you don't like Dorian, trust me, you will have no problem getting rid of it, so I guess that's the good thing about it. :P

Zarita would certainly fit the image, but it seems awfully floral. I've never tried it, so I couldn't vouch either way. Eat Me is a nice 'dark' foody blend and Imp is bright and sweet, but musky too. I know there must be at least a few more that would be appropriate, but I just can't think of them right now.

Oh, if you like roses you could try Two, Five and Seven - it's a bright fresh rose scent, but if you wanted to make it more sinister I'm sure you could layer it with something else.

Which sort of Gangrel? nWoD or oWoD? Not that it makes much difference

I like anything with sharp musk for either sort of Gangrel- Fenris Wolf is very nice, IMO. Rat King if you can find it. Perhaps ponder cold, wintery scents to layer over the top, like Shattered or Archangel Winter.

=^..^=

More to add to the DC Cosplay group, this time its all Flash rogues <3

Captain Cold :Something chilly with a bit of warm undertones perhaps.

Heat Wave: a scent that is hot and that mellows out a bit

Weather Wizard:Stormy smell needed, ozone and rain

Dr. Alchemist: Something a bit bookish

Captain Boomerang: leather would have to be a note in anything for him

Captain Boomerang Jr (Owen Mercer): Spices, clove smell to it

Mirror Master: Deceptive, not really clean...something that is well reflective in a way?

Trickster: Playful and a bit serious on the dry down is a needed

Trickster II (Axel Walker): A rowdy teenager smell,

Pied Piper: Calm and sweet with a light undertone

Golden Glider: Sweet but with some bite

The Top: something hypnotic, and commanding

Hey! I just got back into LARPing after a lengthy absence. I really like the idea of a scent that fits the character, so I come to you guys for advice!

I'm playing a modern nights City Gangrel named Maggie May. She's got Protean, Obfuscate, Auspex, and Celerity (2 levels each so far), and is being trained for Sabbat hunting and general bad-assery by someone who will teach her Obtenebration in the future. She doesn't have much interest in Animalism. Her flight form is magpie, fight form is coyote. She's kinda a kleptomaniac (magpie!), she has a "Gangrel bag" that she collects a ton of stuff in, wallets, shiny things, jewelry, random things that catch her attention. She's perky and cute, but definitely has some bad ass in her.

As for what I like and hate, dirt and vetiver are top of the No No list. I don't like things that are very perfume-y, I prefer deep scents with smoke, incense, etc. Some favorites are Blood Kiss, Famine, Brown Jenkins, Al Azif, Perversion, Chant d'Automne.. I love leather but tend to amp it a LOT, painfully so, but I'm still trying to find a good 'leather and...' scent that doesn't go pure OMGLEATHER! on me. I enjoy a lot of the very realistic flower scents, like a lot of Rappaccini's Garden, but don't tend to keep many cos I don't actually *wear* them. I do have Dog Days of Summer and it's an awesome wildflower perfume that I adore... but I'm not sure it's particularly magpie-Gangrel-ish.

In any case, any suggestions are more than welcome. I personally wear Blood Kiss, Famine, Brown Jenkins, Perversion and Chant d'Automne a lot for me, so I want something that is just for Maggie, to help me get in character and stay there. Any help is greatly appreciated!! :)