Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dronzeka

The Emathides

Gleaming eyes, screeching voices, glistening wings: black amber, black orchid, black currant, olive blossom, wood violet, lavender, blue musk, rose attar, and cedar.

This has a distinctly caramel-like scent to me, and yet I've read the description about 8 times and I see no caramel listed. Weird.

Anyway. Black amber = deviously fiendish powder culprit on my skin. I feel pretty blargh about lavender and cedar too. So why in the world does this smell so good? I can't pick out any individual notes, except I would have guessed there was some kind of musk in here. The sweetness from the currant isn't screaming CURRANT at me, it's just a light indistinguishable sweetness. I think I love olive blossom, if that's the soft floral note I'm smelling here. (Doesn't smell like orchid, violet, or rose to me, so I guess that means it's olive blossom?)

I think the lavender is giving that caramel scent a bit of an edge, and believe it or not, I like it! Yes, a lavender-hater is enjoying lavender. Will wonders never cease.

Very, very pretty. Soft and feminine. Warm, rich, and sweet too. I like this one a whole lot. Edited by filigree_shadow

at first: lush, sweet, heady flowers.

on: sweet amber with violet and lavender.

half an hour later: this is amazing. it keeps wafting up and it lovely, sweet, and earthy.

3.5 hours later: for a while, this reminded me of smut and was really intense. however, now it's a bit smoother. it's a slightly powdery, but mostly a nice musk with floral undertones. i can pick out the orchid.

5.5 hours later: a sweet, podery blend of musk and orchid.

overall: interesting, but i think black orchid may be too similar on me.

At first I get a strong laundry detergent aisle smell...

But that quickly dissipates, and it becomes beautiful. Light herbal notes, a sweet flowery aroma, and a touch of fruitiness. Then it becomes a sweet sugary floral, with a very light woody background. I may have to hunt a bottle up of this one...

Darkness and purple.

I didn't know purple had a smell until I got an imp of this. But it does. It's lush and dark and I don't smell the amber and amber tends to amp on me.

But truly, it smells purple.

The Emathides

In vial, I detect mostly cedar and amber. On skin, this is warm, with faint astringent tree, quiet florals, and feels mildly edible. It's an usual mix that I honestly didn't expect to like, but I find that I do. My husband says it smells like a spiced lemon cake. As it wears, it has a crispness that makes it feel fresh and clean, but that's teamed with a subtle spicy warmth.

[3 - Like] Unique to be sure, and will require a second testing for me to really get a feel for it.

Intriguing. Somehow I was not expecting this to be quite so floral. It is a very aggressive sort of floral though. It is like flowers with swords showed up threatening to kick ass. I am guessing that really exciting edge to the musk is the blue musk, which i don't think I've smelled before. The currents add a slight foody tone and there is way more rose than i like, but it really is a fascinating thing, unexpected in it's effect.

Bottle: almost like cocoa, with the currant and the amber

Wet: This scent smells purple to me, but not grape purple, closer to a brownish purple, smooth warm slightly sweet, someone described it as caramelized and I agree

Dry: lovely warm round sweet, excellently blended, slightly foody, definitely currant, violet, amber, just a hint of lavender, cedar undertone, hardly any rose at all.

This scent is gorgeous and feels to be in the same family as Morocco and Eclipse, without the almond, but with that sense of roundness that almond gives. Velvety.

The real star of this blend for me is the lavender - it's the same soft, crystalline, blue-tinged lavender that I can smell in Yvaine. Beyond that there's kind of a smoky, incensey vibe to this: it smells like an incense that might be offered to a moon Goddess in a Grecian temple on a stormy night.

I got this specifically for the blackcurrant which I can’t quite detect – what I do get though is the black amber. I think this would be wonderful on a man. I can’t really detect the other notes though there is definitely something very woody which must be the cedar? As it dries down there is something sweet evident in it – must be the blackcurrant. Not sure that this is bottle-worthy, might need to sell this. Would have been better if I only got a decant.

The Emathides – This is an ultra-sweet and sticky scent on me. The scent description doesn’t list anything remotely “foody”, but it’s a gooey, sticky, bakery scent on me, somewhat like Ventriloquist Dummy with more caramel than wood. I don’t smell the violet, lavender, musk, orchid, or rose. Rather, it’s all wood/resin notes and something incredibly gooey sweet, like caramel. It’s actually quite cloying on my skin, and were it just a tad bit less sticky sweet, is probably something I would enjoy, but it’s just too sweet for me. I’m really wondering what that sweetness is and am very curious why it smells like caramel or burnt sugar on me! Excellent throw and above-average staying power on my skin.

Upon application -- Soy Sauce?!?! :P

The wet stage still pretty much smelled like a floral soy sauce (hey, don't look at me, I'm also unhappy about that!)

The drydown is a dusky, musky floral --- like the fine hair of a furry animal with a sprinkling of dust. It makes me think of bats (although the Emathides were feathered birds), with the sleek membranous skin, which is still delicate and their beady eyes in the darkness.

The wet stage pretty much ruins it for me, but this is a scent unlike any other, and in some ways one of the most evocative of a particular animal. Admittedly, I don't get birds, but I still get a scary winged creature! (Okay, not really scared of bats, but you know...)

This is one that I really wanted to like. I got an imp after falling in love with Sugar Moon, after a number of reviewers compared it to this. I like it well enough in the imp, though it doesn't at any point really remind me of Sugar Moon (well, maybe the musk...). I love lavender, so I liked that I could pick that up, and it was interesting, but after I put it on, it becomes Jean Nate!! Oh sadness!! I had to wash it off. :P

It's unfortunate that this scent is often overlooked. Since I moved it to another box, I always forget about it.

So without further ado. Gentle lavender, cedar, and amber combine to produce a scent that many call lavender, grassy marshmallows.

It's sweet, but not overly sweet. It has a soothing, calming capability and to me it's from the combination of lavender and olive blossom mingled with the softness of amber, blue musk and wood violet. The cedar lends a green woodsy feel.

I am moving The Emathides onto my night stand because as a slepp blend it works wonders.

Initial sniff from bottle: I’ve sniffed this so many times..and still I have such a hard time deciphering what I’m registering. Is it a smoky caramel? Amber and black orchid maybe..with that drop of a violet..maybe it’s more rose..I really cannot be sure. I know that I don’t smell the lavender..or the black currant or the cedar.

I don’t know what olive blossom is supposed to smell like so I looked it up and one website offered me this:

Crisp orange and olive leaf are infused with a green grass accord and fresh ozone. A hint of lily and muguet intermingles with a base of musk, sandalwood, and oakmoss for a warm, long-lasting finish

Applied wet on skin: I think I get that slightly smoky caramel again..but it is intermingled with something that does smell a bit like grass/ozone but that’s definitely being muddled with a floral..violet/orchid..again for me the lavender is really very subtle. It does seem to make me feel like the scent is a bit dark and glossy..sleek somewhat..

Couple of minutes on skin:Okay…now I’m getting the lavender but it’s not the whomp in your face aggressive lavender..nope..this is more akin to what others have described as crystalline..and it really does marry well with that blue musk and amber. This does seem to be rather relaxing blend on me..even though it’s a bit sweet and kind of dark..but not in a menacing way..just in that glossy raven-like way..I guess that’s the violet doing it for me. I do like it.

30 minutes later: (1am)-It’s now more crystalline lavender/amber/olive blossom/blue musk. This does have a good waft/throw. It does still retain a bit of that caramelly sweetness..though..I still do like it very much.

Lasting power on me is actually pretty good; 3-5 hours with throw average

Drydown: Same as before..just really softened.

Bottom Line: I wasn’t too sure I would be bowled over by this but I have to say it’s been a bit of a sleeper hit on me. I really like it for the office that could work all year long but I suspect I will probably reach for it most during the fall and winter. It stays put.

i just knew i'd hate this. between the violets, the lavender and the cedar... i knew there was just no way it would work.

wet on skin: lavender soap

on skin, settling in: sweet TKO-like lavender

on skin, hours later: still TKO-sweet-lavender, but with a surprising sultry twist - i guess from the black amber & currant/orchid mix?

overall - very surprised, this isn't half bad! but it isn't very *me* so i'm glad this bottle is going to a better home!

i had high hopes for this but what i get is....cooked celery. almost the same as in dia de los muertos, though i don't see any notes they share. ugh. it's almost nauseating. if i leave it on long enough some of the yumminess that other people describe starts to come through but the celery part is too gross for me to even contemplate waiting for the rest of it to bloom.

and in the bottle, it smells awesome. poo.

sadly, swap or sell this.

Edited by butcherbaby

Bottle: I dunno. Orchid, definitely. Touch of lavender. In the bottle the Emathides is kind of sickeningly sweet. If I didn't know better I would think that the dread pirate caramel is in there.

Wet: Stronger orchid phase. Touch of violet. Touch of greenery. Weird musk. This is starting to smell like TKO.

Dry: So... yeah. On my skin this is almost exactly like TKO. It's got a bit more of a woodsy/green/flower stems vibe to it, but definitely in the same family. Very sticky sweet and almost sugary/caramelly. I like it but I don't like it. Just tried it on before I shower and it is way too intense for this hot summer morning. Very pretty, however. Very strong and lovely orchid note. Orchids are usually pretty shy on my skin so I'm excited about that. Less excited about the sticky, caramel scent.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: I'm pretty sure I like it. It has a general scent to it rather than a layer of notes. I just think I have to wait for cooler weather to truly appreciate what The Emathides has to offer.

I tried this one on at DD, and I remember it being more..... floral and lovely!

I just received a decant of the original Emathides, and it just doesn't smell as lovely as I remember.

On my skin: Amber, cedar, and a small hint of floral. This scent is quite faint and doesn't last very long. Ah, well....

This is a mysterious, hazy dark floral with the addition of delicious tart black currants. I definitely get the blackcurrant, which I love :yum: , the black amber mingles with it to add a sexy depth, and the blue musk and cedar really add that hazy component that makes this scent all the more alluring. The lavender brings on a faint drowsy quality that is true to being bewitched by magical creatures. This is how I do florals!

Edited by Invidiana

On me, this smelled like a less funky version of Faiza. I loved it!! The wet stages of this were predominantly black currant, orchid and wood violet. As it dried the olive blossom came out more which on my skin translates to a bit of vanillic sweetness. The black currant started to fade at this point, but it never disappeared, just blended into the mix. As wear time continued, the cedar came out more as well, and really rounded the scent nicely, while the musk gave just a hint of itself here. I really really like this.

I sniffed this in the imp and it took me quite awhile to get up the courage to test it. I've had some very, VERY bad luck with anything even remotely floral lately so I was unsure. Finally I got up the courage and tested it out. Color me surprised.

This smells completely different on my skin than in the imp. In the imp I smelled a very sweet floral, but on my skin, it's all syrupy, smoky amber with a lovely, almost juicy floral behind it. I can't pick out all the notes, but I agree with some of the other reviews that this is a deep, dark, purple scent that is really gorgeous. Not to mention, rose is usually a NOTE OF DOOM on me and this has yet to turn soapy or overly floral. Usually I can't wear florals at all, but I can wear this (perhaps because my skin generally gets along with amber, lavender and ceder very well?).

One of my favourites that I never added a review for...

This is the most unusual-for-me scent among my favourite blends... Somehow it's so not me, yet, I feel very comfortable wearing it. Somehow the notes remind me of the BPAL caramel/brown sugar note... a note I loathe with all my heart, which makes my liking the Emathides even more weird. But, as I said, the notes' interplay reminds me of those notes, but it's not the same, and I get along with it.

The Emathides to me is a velvety, slightly bitter, almost metallic, darkly herbal scent for me. The velvety feeling is essential to its character on my skin.. Somehow I seem to get some underlying vanilla, too, even though it's not listed in the notes. Colour associations are a hazy violet, anthracite, vanilla, taupe brown and black. It's really difficult to describe. Elegant, unusual and quite mysterious.

Edited by blu°

Slightly scary! This one has a couple of death-notes for me and at least one that is not one I always like. But. Here we go.

This is sweeter, way sweeter than I expected it to be. The lavender, as I feared, is pretty strong, but not as astringent as it can be. It really reminds me of TKO, actually. But moreso. More intense, more complex, just….more.

As it dries, the lavender settles to a quiet buzz and the currant and olive blossom emerge, along with an incredible black amber and blue musk. The scary notes (violet, cedar) never appear, and the rose attar is a faint drift on the wind.

It is somewhat tempting at this point to become flustered and just point up at previous reviews and yell "WHAT THEY SAID."

It's so purple, and shiny, and crow-shaped! There's orchid and olive blossom (thank you, Defututa, for showing me that I love that note) and lavender and amber! It's gorgeous! It's beautiful! The label matches it wonderfully!

This went from something I was okay with having a bottle of as part of a set that I could test to being something I am REALLY EXCITED about having a bottle to wear. This is what I wanted Witch Queen to smell like, if this also had beeswax.

This is fantastic.

I've been having success with using Gladdener of All Hearts as a comforting sleep blend, in part because of the strong sweet lavender component. I might try this one out for nights when I want stranger dreams.

Wears like a beast, throws like a champ. 100% awesome.

One of my best friends made me get this lol. cedar will smell good on you she said. of course i doubted her but lo and behold! i'm going through a bunch of bpal i got in them ail today and oh my goshers! it's sweet and dark. the cedar brigns me to a n intensely spiritual place yet its has the soft powdery yummy at the end. almost has a deep water to it (but who knows my nose is weird) it reminds me of something and i dont know what. love this keeping forever!