Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stellans

Singing Moon

Moonlight over grave grass, meadowsweet, marsh hellebore, rock sea-lavender, Irish Lady's-tresses, melancholy thistle, and wood bitter-vetch, with the scent of autumn fires in the distance, sprayed by wind howling over the Atlantic.

Wet on my skin, Singing Moon was green and mossy. I really liked the scent. Unfortunately, it started to burn. I'm going to age this one since I'm very, very reluctant to let go of an Irish scent. Hopefully, it'll be better by St. Patrick's Day. Edited by Shollin

SINGING MOON

In Bottle: Herbs and dirt

On Skin: Wow, this is so interesting! A very unique lunacy, like nothing I’ve smelled before. Very earthy… primal almost. The grave grass is the dominant note. The herbs offer a sharp twist that keep the dirt from being too dark. The autumn fires are quite pretty, not icky thick smoke, but more like a faint cloud in the distance. The florals are not sweet, there are quite bitter and sharp as well. The aquatic tone is also quite nice and a good contrast to the dirty earth and smoke. A clean yet dirty scent… how fun! The closest scent I can compare this to is Shanghai Tunnel. It has that wet, rock and earth feel. I really like this scent and am happy I have a bottle. It will be a good transition in Fall scent for me. Medium throw and average wearlength.

Singing Moon is very sharp and herbal on me, with sprigs of mint thrown about in the drydown. I'm also getting a damp earth and sharp ozone twang from this. My brain seems to have a hard time actually wrapping itself around this scent. It's perfumey, sharp, and then every once in a while I catch an actual hint of something I know (dirt, mint, ozone). Singing Moon is a combination of a lot of smells that I don't really care for or get along with, all wrapped up in a sharp, perfumey bow. It's worth a try because it's so unusual, but it's not something I'll personally hold on to.

Bottle: Sweet, wet greens.

Wet: Slightly musky, sweet herbs with a touch of something chilly like mint.

Drydown: Smoky undercurrent to mossy green. The sweetness has faded to a minimum, sadly, and the mossy green isn't quite as lovely as either the herby greens in the wet stage or the grassy greens in the bottle.

Dry: From a distance, it's a nice green aquatic green. Up close, the moss is very, very strong.

My rating: 4/5. I don't think this is one for my skin chemistry, but it's such a lovely wet scent.

Wet: depression and soggy, decaying herbs

Dry: somber, with a hint of fruitiness and dirt but mainly an astringent wet mildewy floral. Sniffing it on my wrist is giving me a bitter taste in my mouth, which has never happened to me before. I'm glad there's lots of people who love theirs, because mine is off to swap.

Singing Moon - This is a sweet and herbal grassy-weed and dirt scent on me. In most "dirt" blends, the dirt overwhelms everything, but this one is different. The dirt scent dominates on my skin, but there's a sweetness in it that reminds me a lot of marsh mallow (and I can't help but wonder if marsh hellebore might smell similarly? I really have no idea - just a wild shot in the dark!) It kind of smells like pulling weeds -- the sweet, crisp scent of freshly-uprooted green weeds with bits of earth still clinging to their roots. I do smell the scent of "autumn fires in the distance" and as I would expect, it's very faint. Likewise, there's a slight aquatic tang to the scent, but so faint as to almost not be there. This scent dramatically diverges from the feel of the past few years' lunar blends, and if I didn't know it was a lunar blend, I'd never be able to guess it. I'd recommend this to people who like raw, earthy, herbal scents. The throw and staying power are both slightly below average on me.

Absolutely a winner for me. Wet, this reminds me very much of Ulalume, it has the same damp earth and cold water feel, but is not aquatic at all--it smells cold and damp, like clean dirt. I think someone else mentioned orange, and I completely got that at first too--not that it smells like orange, but there's a citrussy tinge to it at the beginning. As it dries, the strong dirt note (which I love) seems to recede a bit, and sweet herbs come forward. Smelling it up close, I get grass and soft earth, while the throw retains a hint of citrus, and a hint of delicate florals. This is a remarkable blend.

ETA after wearing for a few hours--now I'm getting the smoke--it's very faint, and mostly in the throw. This will be excellent for late summer into autumn.

Edited by djuna

this is an herbal-aquatic to my nose, with a tinge of floral and grasses. i dont think i get the smoke note. it's got a very grassy feel that never seems to cease. it stays strong on my skin and doesn't morph much at all. i like this ok, but wouldn't wear it often so i'll swap it.

In the bottle, this smelled pretty minty...which I didn't like. I tried it on and hoped it would change. It certainly did! The mint went away and it became very green and herbal. It also had a bite to it...spicy. Perhaps it was the salt. I can definately sense the 'autumn feel'.

It's very powerful on me...and now and then with the dab I put on..I can smell it and it's really nice.

I love this very much and need a bottle.

Wow, this really is a journey in a bottle.

Wet, this is herbal - gorgeous meadowsweet and grasses, and wet rocks. The breath of the ocean is there somehow.

As it dries, there's a damp, almost sodden herbal note as the lavender pushes into the foreground.

Dry, we've passed over the ocean, and there's the autumn fires. A faint, burnt leaf smell. The herbals drift back up again with the lavender. It's a lot warmer than I expected, and something in here (I think it's the "autumn fires") is reminding me of Black Tower.

This really is a remarkable interpretation of the haunting poem. Just incredible. An amazing, morphing blend which is more an experience than a perfume - for me at least. I'm very glad I have it.

In the bottle: Eucalyptus? Oh dear.

Wet: It's a very green, very herby blend, but not unpleasantly so at all. It's very sharp on the nose, and at each sniff, after I get over the initial smack of 'holy crap green stuff', there's a light, sweet tail of something floral. For about five minutes, I'm reminded of freshly turned, loamy earth, but as the blend settles it becomes very light, fresh, and almost ephemeral.

It's not what I expected at all, but I'm surprisingly pleased by it.

I'm definitely keeping my bottle, but I suspect I'm going to need outside validation before I decide that it works with my chemistry. It's such a complex scent that it's difficult to decide if it's "me" upfront, or a secret, surprise, mysterious "me" I haven't yet encountered. (Those are the best surprises, though, honestly... when you find a whole other family of scents that you just totally hit it off with? I think this may be my induction into the BPAL herby family.)

Thsi si a really sweet herbal scent on my skin. I somehow even smell a hint of apple, although I know it isn't listed in the notes (silly nose!). There is a slight smokiness that comes to the forground after it has dried, which really adds depth to the herbal and floral notes. I really love this one- it definitely fits the description to a T. The only thing I can possibly complain about is that it doesn't last very long on my skin, but that just means I'm going to have to slather and hunt down extra bottles :P yet another fabulous lunacy blend...

Singing Moon

In the bottle: sweet and watery. It smells like cool, sugared, floral-grassy water. Very pretty.

Wet on skin: I see where others get the 'mint' reaction, but to me it's like icy cool water or wind, with sweet floral-herbal-leafy notes.

Dry on skin: oh, this is a fascinating scent. The note that first pops out is the scent of wet autumn leaves. I can really smell the rain-soaked leaves and the soil and damp tree bark. I also smell the autumnal smoke-that reminds me of Hunter Moon (but not wine-like or musky). Then I smell the 'stone' note that others mention, and I love that scent…it's a very underground scent, like being in a cool dark crypt, or cavern by the sea, not as drippy as Shanghai Tunnel, but damp and slightly salty. Now I smell the Atlantic winds, bracing and cool and salt-tinged, but not soapy or ozonic like in Selkie. I also smell dry sea grasses, soft herbs, thistles (I think), a variety of wildflowers (one of which smells like camomile), all underscored with a sweet gentle floral, maybe that's meadowsweet? It reminds me of something, maybe another BPAL, but I can't say what, other than it is familiar. (Someone mentioned Jezirat Al Tennyn, and there is a similarity here, but this is sweeter and grassier.)

After a while: grains! Now I smell a grainy, grassy note which makes me think of wild oats or wheat, it's a mix of dry grasses and seeds, with that sweetness, and the salty autumn wind, cold and filled with fallen leaves, and a hint of bonfire smoke. I also smell something that reminds me of damp wood chips, like the ones I have in my garden soil…this scent moves between smelling like a cliff top meadow and an autumn forest all the time.

Then the scent starts reminding me once more of Hunter Moon, but with the wine and musk and darker spices replaced with airy floral and grassy notes, but there's a very similar smell of autumn to it…it's like an autumn day. The sweet floral is more apparent now at this point, it reminds me of the mallow note from Cancer 07. This one is a morpher, and a very atmospheric scent indeed. After some time the smoky note seems to veer into vetiver territory, but not in a bad way (this is subtle, for now) before turning to grains, dry leaves and that sweet floral note again.

The drydown is the remains of the autumnal notes mixed with that sweet-salty, beach-like, gorgeous floral-mossy and almost vanilla like scent I get in things like Cancer 07 and Lyonesse. I love this stage of the scent.

Verdict: I'm glad I got this on a last minute whim because it's my favourite of the recent run of Celtic themed lunacy scents. Like music made into fragrance, haunting, melodic, a siren's song of scent. It's also like a journey in a scent, I feel as though I am exploring this scent and it's scenery always changes. The scent evokes many outdoor environments vividly, I feel as if I'm on an adventure, walking through forests with the smell of autumn leaves and wet loam underfoot, then going into a damp cave and then a cliff top meadow filled with wildflowers and grasses waving in the sea breeze, then moving through more forests and beaches, the air cool and brisk, the changing of seasons is tangible here. And all along, the fragrance accompanies me, and it feels like an olfactory version of a film score, a smell-track (as opposed to a soundtrack) if you like. There's something dreamlike to it as well. This is such a unique, fascinating fragrance, so different to anything else I've tried, this really is scented artwork. I'm so glad I got this despite the listing of unknown notes and the potential for it to turn into a soapy aquatic-it did none of these and the result is an ever-morphing, lyrical masterpiece of a scent.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! This is what I wanted Selkie to be like.

If you like this, try: Jezirat Al Tennyn, Ulalume, Selkie, Phantom Queen, La Bella Donna Mia Mente, Cancer 07

I tried this when I first got it and wasn't impressed. It smelled pretty generic. However, since I know that sometimes you need to let oils rest after traveling, I tried it again today. Holy moly, I'm glad I did! First on, it's late summer sun scorched grass beside a cool stream. It reminds me so much of Possets Cambienne, a concept I'm seriously in love with. But this is different. Where Cambienne is evocative in a practical way, Singing Moon evokes conceptually. I close my eyes and sniff and I'm transported to a cool summer evening beneath the full moon. Night blooming florals are brought on a slight breeze and I can hear the bubbly stream and the faint beat of bat wings.

I'm so glad I tried this again! :P It was actually the bottle that did it. The artwork was so awesome, I was loathe to part with it. Now it has been added to my favorite Lunacies!

Wet I thought, "hmmm, Zombi without the roses and with a titch of mint and musk added"

Dry it is a gorgeous mossy-sweet-hint of musk, mint, smoke-scent that makes me think of early, early spring when the

skies are still mostly grey and there is always a dirty, melting wet, snow smell in the air plus the faint hint of wood smoke.

Lovely scent (I really like mossy scents I've decided!) and I'll probably have to eventually track down a bottle when people

realize they just aren't using theirs to full potential! :-)

*Edit* This dries down to a soft, green musk on me....very lovely....reminds me a bit of buck moon only more herby.

Glad I have a friend lovely enough to send me a whole bottle for my birthday!! :-D AND.......found someone with a Singing Moon tee for sale...Loved the tee when first online, but didn't want to order a shirt if I didn't like the scent.....The tee is fabulous!!!!!! Am in love! Shall order more BPTP tees!!!! The fit is amazing and the print quality superb!

Edited by Bulletslc

I love this so much! It's rather like Queen of Clubs had a love child with City in the Sea. First on I get this lovely dirt note, which morphs to dirt under herbs and floral...something. Then a touch of that salty sea tang starts to come through. Usually typical aquatics and I do not get along, but this is well balanced, assertive without being sharp, and really really beautiful.

I have to admit when I read the description, I wasn't entirely sold until upon reading the will call reviews that I began to realise this scent was needed.

When first applied, you can smell the earthliness and almost a dirt scent. Then the scent begins to settle down and I found Singing Moon had a fair bit of sillage, I wondered what the gorgeous almost creamy sweet herbal scent wafting in the air was and then the penny dropped.

A wonderfully unique scent and I am so very glad I have this.

:P

Like fresh herbs pulled from the ground with the dirt still attached, and maybe grown near the ocean. I like it a lot because it is a dirt smelling one that doesn't turn to moldy bread on me.

This starts out very floral, but dries to a lovely herbal with a slight sweetness and greenness to it.

I can't pick out individual notes, but it's really lovely.

It's rather like Queen of Clubs had a love child with City in the Sea.

I thought the same thing! Singing Moon really is the earth meets the sea. It's grassy and mossy and yet there's the salty tang of seawater carried on the air. There's also something smoky in this that gives it even more complexity. All in all, it strikes me as very elemental---as in water, fire, air, earth. They all meet and commingle in Singing Moon. I enjoy this on my skin but will likely also try it in the oil burner because it's such a nice atmospheric experience.

In the bottle: an almost sweet, creamy base, covered up with soft white florals. Not bad, though not something I feel especially compelled to wear.

On me, the herbal aspect ratchets itself up to 12. If you like herbs, have at it; this is not my thing especially. I feel obligated to try it one more time - just to make SURE - but I suspect it will not be a hit.

In the bottle: earth and wet rocks.

Wet on me: Still super cool and moist; I can smell the faintest touch of lavender. It smells so strongly of wet earth with cold seaspray.

After a few minutes: Wet autumn leaves -- it's becoming less earthy and more herbaceous, though it's still deep and dank and tinged with decay. Though as time passes it freshens up and becomes more grassy; just a little bit sweet. I'm still eagerly waiting on the smoke...

Drydown: A cool, wet, earthy, stone-like scent with just a hint of sweet grasses and icy seabreeze. I still can't detect any smoke but it's so beautiful as it is that I'm not disappointed.

Really amazing.

Oh my...

I get complements almost every time I wear this blend...it is soft and rich...a grassy green almost-aquatic with a dose of vanilla or tonka or something that makes it creamy. On my skin, this is my beloved departed Wipporwhill - the absolutel essense of a New England late spring/early summer - made softer and even richer with a shot of that creamy vanilla.

Absolute heaven!

in the bottle i have no idea what this smells like, but it's good. i feel like i just let the djinn out of the bottle.

wet on skin okay, ew, what's that? i'm getting this medicinal smell. actually, it's not a bad smell at all, it's kind of sharp, but warm. and smells a bit like cough syrup tastes, if that makes sense.

dry on skin the medicine smell eases off, but never really disappears. it's joined by something incredibly dry and musty and some very high aquatic notes. overall, this is an incredibly interesting scent, but not something i'd wear often. it's oddly comforting while simultaneously unsettling.

eta after some experimenting with singing moon, i'm completely blown away by the artistry of this scent. the drydown is spectacular, described by one friend as poetry in a bottle. it's black and windblown and distinctly saline while maintaining a loamy herbal component. incredible. but still not something i like to wear much. i'll keep it, though, because it's so special in so many ways.

Edited by ravenfeathers