Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stellans

Singing Moon

Moonlight over grave grass, meadowsweet, marsh hellebore, rock sea-lavender, Irish Lady's-tresses, melancholy thistle, and wood bitter-vetch, with the scent of autumn fires in the distance, sprayed by wind howling over the Atlantic.

This makes me think of Kate Bush's most recent album - "a sea of honey, a sky of honey."

Although it starts out a little sharp and herbal, it becomes this amazing sugared grass scent seconds after application, with the slight tang of sea air hovering over it. I can smell something a little minty and fresh that gives it throw, but mostly I just think of golden light, late-summer air, and miles of derelict fields. It's so sweet, and yet so pure-smelling. This is just poetry, and like nothing else I own - I'm working on getting a bottle right now. Edited by Shollin

I got a cute chubby decant of this from brit as a newbie welcome gift (amongst other generous and carefully chosen snifties! brit you're the Best!!!!), and was sooooo psyched to try it because I love herbal scents and I'm obsessed with my lavender Somnium imps.

In the imp, I smelled something surprisingly sweet, like berries almost! (?!%@$) Shocked, I proceeded to dab, and it was so amazing - I'm going to have a hard time describing this because I don't know what the hell is going on in my nose.

On my skin, Singing Moon is sweet, and only slightly herbal. It is kind of like Bath & Body Works Flowering Herbs with an extra fruit note. Well, it's obviously much more sophisticated and beautiful than that, but cmon I said I can't describe it!! *Lay Off Me!* <--(Chris Farley voice) It's almost like there's a super-sweet grass, and it's got almost a peach or berry note that really amps on me.

I wouldn't call this scent herbal; I'd call it coolly sweet. Honestly, like a hint of apricot or something here.

From all the descriptions, I was like, "What the hell?" And since I liked it, I found a bottle on the forum for sale and scooped 'er up.

There was a little part of me that expected the bottle to be somehow different.

And nope, it's the same, undescribable, sweetly brain scrambling scent!

I luurve it. And now I gots me a bottle! *dopey grin*

Fresh herbal salt tinged breeze. This smells so good. It is earthy, herbal, perfection. There is a faint smokiness to it, but it is a damp smokiness.

I am so glad I hunted down a bottle! It will be well loved.

This smells very wet and green. Think cut grass after rain. Think muddy meadows. Think damp hut by the sea with medicinal herbs hanging from the rafters. It smells almost like mint, but not enough to annoy me. If you like R'yleh, you'll likely like this.

In bottle: Floral, moist earth with a bit of mouldy leaves and water.

On me: It's like wet soil. Not dirt, but soil. Like going into a field after an autumn rainstorm. It's... nice... but not great.

I am so glad I managed to track down a bottle of this. The earlier reviews talking about eucalyptus kind of scared me, but thankfully I don't smell any of that. This is a wonderful woodsy/floral/aquatic that at times smells floral, at other times honey, and at others such an ethereal, smoky, airy something. This is such a good autumn scent.

singing moon is much sweeter than i expected. it really is very evocative... i regretted not ordering a bottle when it came out and now my partial is not enough! it smells like moonlight over a cemetery overlooking the sea. sweetly herbal with faint whiffs of sea air and smoke. i've never smelled anything quite like it. it's fantastic.

If it wasn’t for my sister I might have passed on this; anything with lavender makes me think twice; lavender tends to dominate harshly on me so I wasn’t too keen about Singing Moon; however..it being a lunacy, the wood bitter vetch and the autumn fires made it interesting enough for me to roll the dice; here’s how it went.

Initial sniff from bottle: I can smell the sea spray of the Atlantic alright..it’s a dark aquatic to be sure…and I get a little of that rock sea lavender which thankfully..isn’t super aggressive. Definitely reminds me of a chilly night by a tumultuous sea.

Applied wet on skin: Sea spray and then something sweet leaps out..just a flash..is it the hellebore??? Wow..I wasn’t expecting that…tail end I get the autumn fires..just a wisp of it..this is certainly quite the morpher..and I have to say..I am pleasantly surprised.

Couple of minutes on skin:Dark swirling aquatic coupled with the wood, fires, and wisps of the lavender. Am not sure I register or recognize the thistle or grave grass or meadowsweet.

Ten minutes later:Am getting now more of the grassy/vibe of the fragrance now..wet grass..maybe sea grass by the ocean..tinged with a bit of salt and those fires in the distance lending an airy smoky slant. I can see why some reviewers might liken this to Ulalume; I do see a similarity..but in my case Ulalume didn’t work for me because of that overwhelmingly strong wet dirt note. Here..this fragrance hints at wet earth..but it doesn’t come across on me as overly aggressive..perhaps the grass and hellebore do well to temper it on me.

Twenty minutes later-This has now morphed yet again..still retains the grass..but I also am registering a creamy sweet-like note interspersed with a tinge of the sea spray and rock lavender. It is very much an evocative scent and yes..I do agree with many who find it appropriate for autumn..I wholeheartedly agree.

This lasted a whopping 8+hours…the throw soft to average. I put this on before I went to bed last night and when I woke up this morning and sniffed my wrist, I was met with a beautiful drydown; soft grass like note tinged with a creamy sweetness .

Bottom Line: A beautiful interpretation; who knew that grass and grave could be components in an genius and really evocative fragrance??? It is perfect for autumn; I will be wearing it again.

In the bottle: A sweet but herbal floral blend.

Wet: I get a solid baseline of well-blended florals, with sharp herbal notes floating on top of them. I get the sea breeze, but it's not so much a salty note in its own right, more of a suggestion of a salty note. To be quite honest, I really can't pick out any one note. No fire/smoke scent, though.

Dry: Unfortunately, this dries down to a pretty generic floral scent. :P It's nice, but I don't think I'll keep it.

Bottle: green, rainy, floral

Wet: rainy floral with a bit of an herbal undertone

Dry: continues with the rainy green, it reminds me of the Waterhouse painting of the Tempest character, Miranda.

This blend is soft, round, and sweet, like grass in the rain, definitely wistful, but not sharp or dusty. Beautiful longing.

Singing Moon 2007

In the Bottle:

Jojoba oil?

hmm...strange - but since it's somewhat of a sea - based scent I guess that's not such a big surprise

On my Skin, Wet:

Jojoba oil and white flowers.

the overall impression for me is a seashore up on a cliff, surrounded by little white wildflowers.

I smell what seems to me like seaspray too.

On my Skin, Dry:

more seashore evoking imagery and seaspray.

I still get white wildflowers & now I'm picking up what seems to be lichen?

hmmmm...that's a new one for me.

Verdict:

very evocative!

This isn't really something that I would like - but somehow it speaks to my "ancient" self....which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I can't think of another way to describe it.

9 of 10 Ranking!

My skin chemistry does bad, bad things to Singing Moon, which makes my Irish self sad indeed! For the first hour or so, I get dirt - which is not unpleasant, but not a note that generally works well on me - and a strong menthol-like note that reminds me of Chloraseptic, which is not pleasant at all. About 30 minutes into the drydown, the menthol note goes away and is replaced by a very faint sweetness, which is nice, but the first 30 minutes make this one a deal-breaker for me, I think. My North Atlantic seaspray needs will have to be met by Selkie instead.

I had a similar experience with Singing Moon, which was kindly frimped to me as a sniffie in a swap. I found the opening to be unpleasant and vaguely ammonia-y, then sort of floral and clean. After a bit, a menthol/eucalyptus scent (of which I am not a fan) emerged, and then it finally dried down to a pleasant sweetness. When it is finally and thoroughly dry I like it quite a bit - clean and sweet - but it takes too long to reach that stage.

I haven't tried Selkie yet... might have to look into that!

I did not purchase Singing Moon during the live update because I'm not attracted to aquatic scents. I purchased this from the forum after reading several reports that some who wear Singing Moon at bedtime have vivid dreams. I rarely remember my dreams so I wanted to give it a try. Sadly, Singing Moon is not my dream inducing scent.

When first applied, I smell a sweet grassy floral blend. After it dries, it becomes a salty aquatic on my skin. Since I like the way it smells when first applied, I will wear it in a scent locket.

In vial: it's lavender, but it's more. It's bitter and smoky and salty, yet also sweetly floral!

Wet on skin: cold lavender, menthol, and sweet wild flowers. I can definitely envisage bonfire smoke and the wind howling over the Atlantic. I don't know how it smells of the sea, but it does. The colour is a dark purplish grey. This is like standing on a windswept hillside, looking out over a bleak moorland landscape and a stormy sea, but at your feet are tiny purple flowers.

Dry on skin: As it dries the bitterness comes out, then it fades into cold, minty sweetness. Sniffing it gives me sharp headache twinges, but I can't drag my wrist away from my nose! It's like a mass of wild herbs with tiny mauve flowers, which smell of mint when you crush their leaves.

After an hour or so, all that is left is a posy of sweet, mauve-flowered herbs, dusted with powdery salt from the sea spray. It's poetry in a bottle!

A deep, earthy scent. The herbs leap out right away, with an ever so slight hint of salty aquatic in the background. The perfect autumn scent, melancholy and contemplative.. Sitting in a field under the bright moon, thinking of summer nights past.

Ah, this would be like Ireland covered in honey. It's an herbally floral with a sweetness that makes me think of clover honey.

Too sweet for me, but it does make me think of an emerald isle in the sea, with blooms and bees and rivers of honey.

I imagine a fairy would like this scent.

Although it starts out a little sharp and herbal, it becomes this amazing sugared grass scent seconds after application, with the slight tang of sea air hovering over it. I can smell something a little minty and fresh that gives it throw, but mostly I just think of golden light, late-summer air, and miles of derelict fields. It's so sweet, and yet so pure-smelling. This is just poetry, and like nothing else I own - I'm working on getting a bottle right now.

Okay, I know this is cheating, but I read this review and thought--oh my gosh, this is EXACTLY the "in the imp/wet on skin/dry on skin" sequence this scent went through for me. I can't believe it! The mint is just a teeny sliver, and the grasses warm up on my skin, making me think of sunlight in the late afternoon. It's sweet and herbal and delicious. I really am enjoying this one--I'm toying with the idea of getting another imp or looking for a bottle. It smells like autumn to me, like a crisp day, maybe on the seashore, maybe just out in a park looking at the turning trees. It's just beautiful on the dry-down.

Ooh, this one's nice! Evocative, I'd say, more than anything, in a good way.

What I get out of it is predominately a sort of grassy smell... it's a little like a freshly mowed lawn, but also sort of like weeds and like dead grass, shriveled and brown. What it really reminds me of is my backyard, playing out in the yard when I was little. :P

I can pick up a little seaweed, which is nice, 'cause I still haven't found an aquatic blend I like but I do like that sort of smell. And there's a teeny bit of sweetness in there, too. But mainly, it's a blend of whatever's growing untended in my backyard. I might need a bottle.

this blend is herbal and woodsy, with just a hint of aquatic sea-spray. it’s masculine, like a crisp, clean aftershave. there’s a green grassy note that really stands out, with a bonfire wood note in the background that reminds me of Hexennacht. i’m not really sure what meadowsweet, hellebore and Irish lady’s tresses are, but i’m assuming they are various herbs or grasses. a cool, outdoorsy scent, like an early fall evening hanging out in the woods, not too far from the water. i'm thinking i will love this one on my husband.

Wet, this smells like damp earth and grass. This threw me off a little... the dirt scent was pleasant but not really what I wanted to smell like all day! After an hour or two, the dirt scent faded completely and I was left with a sweet herbal scent... grasses and honey. Mmm. This reminds me of a field after a rainstorm... no sign of any stormy seas here.

First Impression: Smoky herbal - cold and forbidding.

Dries down to: Stays green, but not a bright fresh green; rather more of a 'dying stems with dirt still on them' green - there's nothing floral about this blend at all. I also don't get any ozone or aquatic feel from it.

Additional Comments: This particular combination is not for me. It does get tamer but stays forbidding; then, ultimately, it turns muddy on me. I've found that earthy blends don't usually do anything for me.

Lasted: Only about an hour.

Rating: 2 out of 5

This is my first experience with a Lunacy, as I just received a partial bottle as an extra with another purchase, and I am in love. Singing Moon on me is all windswept grass and lying in the sand on the beach at night and clambering up the highest rock on the island to watch the sun rise. I'm going to wear it in the warm Bay Area weather this weekend just to see what else it does, but I think it will be absolutely perfect for late fall when we get our first cold snap.

I LOVE this scent. It smells the same on me as it does in the bottle, and isn't much of a morpher. Its definitely herbal, but underneath it all, I get moss and damp dirt and grass and flowers, and salty air. It manages to, at the same time, make me think of being by the ocean at night and in the woods early in the morning. It makes me feel peaceful.

More, please.

Initial thoughts: Grass, meadowsweet, thistle... this sounds like it's going to smell like lying in an overgrown, dry, seaward paddock. In other words - potentially utterly amazing.

In the imp: I can pick up the ozone, which I guess is the Atlantic spray... and it's salty. Also kinda herbal, but not herby - more like dry green growing things on the cliffs over the sea.

On the wrist, wet: Salty sea spray and ozone. It's intriguing, but I want more herbs, dammit!

Twenty minutes later: Salty yes, and I'm getting that kind of dry greenery I smelt in the imp. It's just... it's not wowing me. It's nice and mysterious and a bit wild, but there's this undertone I get with 'wind' notes, which is... soap.

Verdict: I'll wear the rest of the imp and muse over a bottle, but I don't see one in my future unless it pretty much falls in my lap.

Tl;Dr: Dry clifftop vegetation lashed with salt spray, mysterious and dark, but with undertones of soapy clean.

In the imp: A damp basement full of beets and grassy-herbal things.

On wet: Wet, mineral-y, a touch of something sweet, and a dry grass/vaguely spicy note. So very complex!

Drydown: The dampness has faded, the beets have been shipped to market, and the spicy, honeyed herbals have risen up. Mmm...wow, so much better. *huff-sniff-snort* Mmm! I'm also picking up on the slightest hint of warm fruit! Delicious!

Overall: This is utterly fantastic on the drydown. I wasn't expecting much from this after the initial sniffy test (beets!!!), but WOW, does it ever morph into something glorious. I already have the shirt (the design blew me away), and now I might just have to hunt down a bottle. Such a pleasant surprise, and an easy 4/5. :P