Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
malanna

Lughnasadh

LUGHNASADH

The first of the year's Harvest Festivals. Lughnasadh represents a rest from toil and a time of reflection. Fertility magick is practised, as is agricultural magick used to ensure a bountiful Autumn harvest. The holy day is named after the Celtic deity Lugh, God of Skill in All Things, Patron of the Arts and Sciences. Though he and Rosmerta, his consort and the Goddess of Nature, are venerated at this time, the holy day was created out of respect for his foster mother Tailtiu, one of the Earth-Goddesses. Though she was a Lady of the Fir Bolg, she was a good, loving and honorable being, and cared for Lugh well. After her people were defeated by the Tuatha Dé Danann she was forced to clear a vast forest for the purpose of planting grain, and sadly, she perished from exhaustion in the process. The Hill of Tailte in Ireland was named in her honor, and legend states it was there that the first festival of Lughnasadh took place. To some outside of the Celtic mythos, this holy day also marks the annual death of the Sun God or the God of the Grain. The holiday is celebrated with contests of skill and cunning, feasting, oath-making, and agricultural competitions.

It's bad that I'm the first one to review this, since I'm quite bad at identifying notes, but here goes....

In the bottle: Ooh, I love this. I think I've smelled this before, but I can't think of what it smells like (argh!). There's definitely what I think is cherry. A close approximation would be: a cross between a non-fizzy cherry cola and sweet cough syrup (but not bad-tasting), with a tiny undercurrent of Love Me (the cinnamon I'm picking up).

On: As it's drying, I think of Love Me (cinnamon-y), yet with a little bit of a ritualistic feeling to it. Over time, the cinnamon gets more pronounced, but something's pulling it back. It morphs even more--oh, this smells like another BPAL scent I've tried. What is it?! I did a search of the reviews that I've done and holy mother of god, it's Alice! No, really, it is Alice. There's that cinnamon kick, with the floral (carnation), yet, something is coating those two, which is what milk did for Alice. It's Alice, but a bit older and less prone to throwing tantrums. It doesn't give me the headache that Alice did. I'm thinking that's because there's less cinnamon and that floral (I'm not going to try to guess its identity). Between the ritualistic stage and the Alice stage is a scent that is still a bit comforting (only a bit for me, as I don't like cinnamon). If I liked cinnamon, I could fall asleep to the in-between scent.

I don't think I like this on my skin (ooh, in my hair!), but I'll be trying this again later.

Edit: Take all I say with a grain of salt. I was in a rush to review this, and it takes me ages to decide that I really like or dislike a scent.

Edit 2: Holy crappin hell. I put this in my hair two hours ago and this is so much like Alice, I'm starting to think this was mislabeled.... *waits for others' reviews*

Edited by Shollin

Oh, it's so good... :P

First impression: Cherry wine!

After a few minutes: Yeah, it still reminds me of cherry wine, but I'm thinking there may be some more fruits there as well, maybe pears and apples.

A few minutes after that: Now that it's drying down a bit I think I'm picking up something floral, too...but not showy flowers, like roses or lilies...but something soft, like dandelions.

I can't decide if I think it's cherry wine and wildflowers, or dandelion wine with fruit! And in addition to that, the overall feeling is very smooth, like it's been dipped in butter. Not in the least bit foody, though.

It's lovely. Hmm...are we going to be getting another chance to order more??

I have this slathered on right now..lets see..

In the bottle: smells like maraschino cherry juice

Wet: smells like cherries rolled in fresh dirt..mmm!

Afterhours: this has dried down to a sultry autumn scent..cinnamony berries/dried leaves & an undercurrent of water..very very nice! :P

Verdict: Why the HELL didnt i order a larger bottle of this precious stuff?? Somebody smack me! :D

First Impression: Spices. Reminds me of Black Phoenix and Eclipse.

Second Impression: Malanna was spot on with her comparison to Alice. I had them on side by side and the dry downs were very similar...cloves steeping in steamed milk.

Final Analysis: It's more buttery than Alice, more "grown up". I just can't decide if I like it or not.

Oh how I love this scent. Why? Because it smells similar to Samhain (without the pumpkin n spice)

Mine doesn't smell cherry-ish at all.

It has a strong apple, spice, cinnamon scent right out of the bottle. And then dries more powdery and flowery. I can't determine which flower though....

It does give me that summer-just-turning-to-autumn vibe.

:P

I smell blackberries, not cherries. Blackberries, then a spice...cloves? cinnamon? spicey sweet....I wish I had ordered a larger bottle, cause it's definitely worth it!

As with so many of Beth's oils, this one is a shape shifter. Give it time to go through all of it's various "selves" before you make a final decision. It will definitely surprise you.

This reminds me of oil paintings of a cornucopia. It seems to manifest all of what you might find there. It's sweet & "berry-ish" in the bottle & on first application. Then, on me, ultimately becomes deep spicy cinnamon & pumpkin.

I can't normally wear anything with cinnamon oil in it. For some reason, this doesn't make my skin turn red. I'm very happy about that!

Enjoy!

To me, this was Samhain with a berry base rather than an apple base... I picked up the same smokey-incensey-spicey notes, but a 'red' colour rather than the green-gold that I get from Samhain.

I loved wearing it - it's warm and soothing, and feels comforting.

The oddest reaction I got while wearing it was from my Dad - he took one sniff, pulled a face and said 'I didn't think you smoked!' He gave up cigarettes many, meany years ago, but there was something within this scent that made him think I'd been smoking and crave a smoke himself. I hadn't been anywhere near cigarettes, I hasten to add :P

Having tried Samhain but a day ago, I can certainly see where the comparisons are coming from. However I found this to have a similar base to Samhain but to smell more of cherries to me. While Samhain is more striking with the mulled spiced apples, this oil is subtler with the promise of luscious berries spilling out onto ones skin.

Initially this smelt of cinamon and spice, the next time I tried it I could smell more of the berry notes (cherry). This is absolutely gorgeous and well worth a smell.

:P

This smelled like iced tea to me...unsweetened with a bit of fruit flavoring tossed in. I kind of reminds me of my favorite summer tea - half regular tea and half of the celestial seasonings black cherry tea...very yummmy

On dry down, the tea scent has faded into a soft fruity/floral scent.

I like this one so far

A couple of hours later: it has a soft musky note to it now. I can't smell the tea at all. Musky isn't the right word...but it is smokey without smelling like smoke but still with a fruit element to it.

Wishing I had gotten a 10ml.

Edited by chai_girl

Just... perfect. Summer turning into fall in a bottle: ripe apples and dying leaves and shafts of golden yellow sunshine losing strength as the days roll by. Thank you, thank you, thank you to the wonderful sigh for sending me a 5ml of this amazing, amazing fragrance. Now I'm dying to try Samhain. I can't even imagine how wonderful that smells.

Edited by riddel

Goodness! I love the shit out of this scent. I really wish I'd gotten 2, 5 mls. My bottle is half empty already!! :P

To me, this scent is berry or cherry with a slight spice. It is very light and required frequent reapplication (but I'm a slatherer). It is a cheerful scent. It made me keep sniffing my arm. I'm not sure if the spice is cinnamon or not, but it is indeed a fabulous scent. Anyone have a 5 ml they'd like to sell me? I can't seem to get enough of this.

I love, need, want, adore, etc this one!

*puts head in hands and sobs*

thanks to a generous forum member I've had the chance to try it... wow, just wonderfull.

it's how autumn scented candles would be if their makers had the taste, skill and sensitivity that beth does :P

it's all apples and cherries when I put it on, then after a few minutes it changed slightly, became deeper, hotter, I guess that'll be the cinnamon?

it lasted really well, mophing a little to become softer as the day went on.

I'll be saving the rest of my imp for a special occasion!

Out of the bottle and wet on my skin, this smells like a cherry cough drop--but in a good way. After a while the cough drop smell fades and the spices come out, pushing the cherry scent into the background and letting the cinnamon working it's mojo. Then the cinnamon and spices mellow out with something soft and floral, to make this a lovely feminine scent for fall.

I think I love it, but I will have to wear it a few more times to make sure. :P

Lughnasadh is the first Sabbat oil I've actually worn and not smelled and I'm so so so glad I bought it.

First sniff

Mmm cherries. With a bit of a bite? Cherry is really the dominating note of this for me but there is a sense of something with a bit more bite as well.

When wet

I smell like a cough drop...one of the really tasty Luden's cough drops that I would eat a lot as a child. Still very cherry but now some spices are kicking in...it's going darker. I'm excited.

Drydown

Oh the cherry smellis now mixed in with woods and spices. It's very warm and *perfect* for this time of year when the bright airy scents should be put away and you need something a bit warmer yet not strong. I can really smell the cinnamon I believe this has and it doesn't burn me at ALL which is lovely because I was getting worried I wouldn't be able to have any fall scents. Lovely stuff, smells like lovely dark wine too.

Aftermath

Excellent staying power + beautiful scent = A WINNAR IS YOU. This is a lovely scent, perfect for this time of year when it's not *quite* autumn but summer is fast fading.

On me, this is cinnamon and honey in a milky base, with just a hint of cloves. I don't smell fruit at all. It doesn't really morph on my skin, just slowly fades away. Lovely and spicy, yet mild enough I can wear it to bed.

In the vial I smell cherries, not too sweet or tart, but the scent of them baked in a pie - very warm and comforting.

On my skin it mellows out and other notes blend with the cherry so that it has a floral, spicy tone. It reminds me of potpourri - the good kind that doesn't make me sneeze. This would also be a wonderful room scent, perfect for the end of summer when the days are still warm but tinged with the vibrance and energy of fall. It's a beautiful scent and I will treasure my bottle until the very last drop.

Whoa for some reason I thought I already posted a review for this one!! Lughnasadh is apples cinnamon/spiceyness to me. If I put this on when I am unhappy, it changes my mood instantly. I've been wearing this alot lately the smell reminds me of walks with my great grandfather, he'd bring me an apple(I really loved apples) and we'd walk down the cobblestone to see friends of his and he'd show me off. It really is a happy smell, definatly deserving of a limited edition scent. I'm so glad I have this!!

In bottle: Food for the harvest. Reminds me of cherry, but doesn't actually smell of it. I think the colors it makes me see is dark cherry red (those big fat cherries that are practically black) and pumpkin orange.

On me: First whiff seems to be berries and spiced apple. It's strongly fruity to me but there are definitely spices in the background. I could swear I'm picking up some boiled milk, too. This may be another scent that "stinks" up my house during the autumn months. I don't much care for wearing it tho', as it is uncharacteristic to me.

Edited by k00kaburra

Lughnasadh is stunning!!!! :P Well done Elizabeth and all the Lab on this !!

Please bear with me here I must set the scene.....

I was in the West of Ireland recently and went out one glorious August evening to pick the blackberries growing along the hedgerows. I was wearing Lughnasadh at the time and the scent fit the picture so well I was gobsmacked!

Its a whole scent experience for me. Its ripe Blackberries, freshly mown hay, damp limestone, misty Atlantic rain, turf smoke, and all the earthy scents of late summer rolled into one.

Thank you sooooooooo much Pam for letting me try some!

:D

Sniffing the bottle .. one of my two 5ml bottles of which I'm deliriously happy to have .. I get something very sweet. Cherries maybe. Almost like cherry Luden's throat drops, but a bit .. smokier. The first thing that came to mind when I opened and sniffed was smoke, in fact .. maybe like cherry pipe tobacco, rather than cough syrup. This is the still sunny, warm days of late summer, where Mabon and Harvest Moon are the cooler, darker early Autumn nights.

Mmmhmm. Cherry pipe tobacco. I smelled enough of it when I was working in a drug store and the tobacco aisle was part of my responsibility. My grandfather also used to smoke a pipe, and this sort-of reminds me of him in that way. It's ver cherry .. but I love the smell of it, still wet on my skin. as it sits and sinks in this gets a luscious milky tone to it, creamier than it started, and warmer. And there's cinnamon in this .. glorious cinnamon, how I love thee!

I want more. Of course, I already have much of this particular scent. It settles so deliciously on my skin .. just a warm blanket of harvest fruits and smoke and corn stalks drying and .. just all the imagery of autumn's blessings all in one small bottle. And cinnamon. Spicy, delicious cinnamon filling the air. Gods, I love this scent.

at first: sweet, spicy, and woodsy. lovely and very unique.

on: more perfumey (in a floral sort of a way) than i expected, but nice. i actually expected it to be foody. there seems to be cinnamon and some other, similar spices underneath.

1 hour later: this is a tad sweeter, but still not foody. it's floral and still has those warm spices wrapped up in it.

4 hours later: this smells like a flower. a single flower. i can't tell what it is, though.

5.5 hours later: very, very sweet. like heavy toffee. it's so weird that the scent has changed so much. i like this stage a lot; it's very cozy and soothing.

8.5 hours later: there's still that wonderful sweetness, but it's not as heavy. wonderful.

overall: i wish i would have ordered this because i'd love to use it in my oil burner, but don't want to waste the tiny bit i have. i'll definitely be picking this up if it's offered again next lughnasadh.

Cherries and candied fruit sweetness. My nose was plastered to my wrist! This is so lovely, I wish I'd had the chance to get a bottle. There is some spice as the scent warms up, and then some very light floral, an autumnal bouquet. I loved this one and will cherish my sample.

Initial Impression:

OMG, sweet lovely fall. Almost intoxicating in its golden goodness. *Swoon!*

After Wearing It:

God I love this. For the first our it's very intensely fruity, primarily apple with touches of ripe, dark berries (more blackberries than cherries) and subtly but well spiced. I'm usually not much into apple scents as they're usually too sweet without being warm, but the way they were blended into Lughnasadh just blew me away. It just smells like the best kind of hot mulled cider.

As the scent "ages" on my skin, the fruit notes mellow some. Not disappear, just mellow, and the spices come more to the foreground. I'm amazed how well the cinnamon, cloves and..... something else? can be so prominent in the scent at this stage and still stay so marvelously smooth. It was warm, but not fiery. Just toasty warm in that comforting, insulating way. There's impressions of the smell of corn bread baking in the background, and the occasional wave of firesmoke blowing in, and both just give Lughnasadh that much more character.

This is just fall bottled. It's the reprieve from the scorching heat of summer and rejoicing in the abundance that fall brings before you have to worry about saving for winter. It's just a perfectly glorious, warming, cheering scent that I love to wear. I agree with Amy too, it does have a similar tone to Samhain but is less earthy and without the heavy pumpkin note.

Final Thoughts:

I'm so glad I bought two bottles of this! I'd hate to have to be sparing with it because it's such a mood booster and I know I'll wear it all year. If Beth rereleases this next summer, I'll buy it then too.

Oh, lovely... lovely... lovely...

Lughnasadh is the smell of opening the door of a welcoming, warm home after tromping through cold snow in the night. The exact feeling of that door opening, and the warmth bumping against your face like bread rising over the side of the pan, and jolly voices calling welcome. It is warm things simmering, twinkling lights against worn wood, stockings and doorbells and someone else making hot breakfast. It's the smell of Christmas to me, of holidays with family.

Actually wearing it, it is all fallish colors-- pumpkin orange, cranberry red, fir green. It is sharp but mellow, winey, deep. The maraschino cherry bit hits me first, and then it mellows into apple and cinnamon notes that are nothing like cinnamon apples, but distinct feelings of the essence of apple, and the essence of cinnamon. I wear it when I want to feel crisp and bright and yet warm and welcoming. It's great with a red sweater.