Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ancilla_morte

Virgo 2007

Mutable earth: the essence of analysis.
Fennel, valerian, maidenhair fern, carrot seed, honeysuckle, and myrtle.

Herbal yet floral, good well balanced combination. I can't really pick one note out over the others it is so well balanced. yumm, it is very pretty Edited by Shollin

Virgo

In the bottle: earthy, green and wet and lush. I agree with the 'vegetable garden' comments.

Wet on skin: I smell green fern, a hint of carrot…and some fennel, though it's not blatant anise.

Dry on skin: this is really interesting! It smells like a fresh, wet garden or a crisp salad made with wild salad greens and carrots dug straight from the ground. The fennel adds a coolness to it-a scent that almost hints at liquorice but doesn't smell like it completely, it just has the spicy coolness that I often get with anise scents. This blends nicely with the slightly bitter green fern, carrot seed (which smells like carrot covered in soil here) and the herbal myrtle. It's a very herbal-green-earthy scent, but very different from the usual herbal and earthy scents. It feels like a garden at the start of autumn-the summer's greens being harvested as the weather cools. It seems to go nicely with Singing Moon, both are unconventional herbals and have that cool, wet aspect to them. I smell something earthy, maybe that's valerian? It's not stinky valerian at all.

After a while: ooh, now there's a gorgeous sweetness that wasn't here before. It's a smooth, earthy sweet scent underneath all the green/herbal notes, it's almost mossy, almost like a light patchouli, almost like tonka or maybe musk? I'm not sure what it is but it's lovely, and smoothes out all the notes. The green note here now reminds me of the lettuce in Cancer. I also smell the honeysuckle now, and it's very strong. In fact, this scent now brings back vivid memories of my holiday in Devon a couple of years ago. I remember the smell of the honeysuckle through the rain, mixed with the smell of earth and grasses and damp leaves. This smells just like that.

The honeysuckle becomes the most dominant note after some time, but sadly, it seems to be turning soapy on me…a little waxy and soapy, not as lush and wet as before, and the greenery is retreating too. It's not bad, but I like my honeysuckle notes grounded with rich, sweet notes like resins (like in Chimera or Hermia) or it tends to soap out on me. It now smells very clean and neat, the way Virgo likes it.

Verdict: this is a lot nicer than I expected from the notes, especially at the start. The valerian isn't stinky at all. the fennel doesn't turn to evil liquorice. This actually smells like a fresh salad harvested from an allotment patch-there's still soil on the leaves (though a true Virgo would wash the nasty dirt off and make sure the salad is spotless! But I digress), it is earthy, rich, wet and green. I smell carrots and salad greens, with a touch of herbs. And then it goes into a beautiful fresh honeysuckle and greenery stage…a scent which reminds me strongly of summer rain soaking the fragrant blooms and vines, and I love that stage. shame it doesn't last because sadly, some honeysuckle scents turn soapy, and this turns out to be one of them-the green fades away and the honeysuckle remains and doesn't smell as good as it did before. I like this a lot better than I thought I would but I'm surprised, considering my Virgo ascendant, that I don't love it. I'll keep a bit though-I want to keep amounts of all the signs.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? a decant-I would have loved it more if it didn't turn to soap.

If you like this, try: Singing Moon, Asphodel, Garden Path with Chickens, Eos, Cancer 07

I didn't buy this at 1st but the thought of the scent plagued me and so I snagged one after the fact. I am drawn to veggies scents for some reason.

This one reminds me a bit of this year's Cancer sans the watery bit. It's leafy green and just a touch sweet. It smells so nice. I do get the carrot seed a lot in this blend and it makes it incredibly unique. I never imagined Virgo to be completely wearable but it is. It dried down to a nice, subtle, sweetly veggie/earthy blend that is so soothing and comforting.

I'm really not a fan of herb scents and did not expect to like this at all. Myrtle is usually a killer note for me -- it kills an otherwise pretty scent.

Virgo, though... it doesn't smell like the shouty sharp herbal scent I was expecting. It's almost soft. Not really gentle, because it's not a faint scent, but it's not sharp. It sort of reminds me of being in a shady forest. I bet that's the fern. It seems like it's definitely a gardeny sort of scent, except not the flowery kind.

I would not have been able to tell you what ferns smelled like, and if you'd asked I would have said they don't have a distinct scent. However, since I cannot get away from the image of a shady forest, I'm pretty sure this is what ferns smell like.

After I've had it on for about 30 minutes or so it develops an odd very sweet powdery tone that I don't care for much. Reminds me of what sweet pea does on me. (I wonder if that's the honeysuckle?) But if it weren't for that I would like this scent.

I bought this bottle outright because I get along with Virgos. Very well. My SO is a Virgo; two ex’s have also been Virgos. I like to have fragrances remind me of people. My grandmother was a Virgo..she was beautiful and charming and I only have wonderful memories of her. Always smelling beautiful; looking perfectly made up..having a charming personality. My mother…a Libra is like that too.

Initial sniff from bottle: Greenery; I think I get the fern. This sort of reminds me of Pontarlier a little bit because of the fern. It does smell fresh..like a vegetable garden..without the dirt/soil notes. Like sticking one’s face in a vegetable garden early in the morning..before the sun has warmed everything. Very interesting.

Applied wet on skin: Green leafy tones..with a wsip of something sweet..floral..the honeysuckle??? I still get a green/fresh vibe from this..it’s really evocative of being in either a vegetable or maybe an herb garden? I don’t know what carrot seed or valerian smells like and fennel has always had a slight sweetness. This translates to me as fresh/green/sweet/leafy.

Couple of minutes on skin:Still the leafy/slightly sweet fresh vibe going on..with the honeysuckle still peeking through softly every now and again.

Ten minutes later: I am struck at how much this emanates to me the freshness of green. It now has more of the honeysuckle making an appearance..the leafy /green combo has backed down..but the overall vibe on my wrist still resonates fresh clean summer garden. The cleaness of the greenery..it’s simple and pure sillage..uncluttered and kept in balance with the sweetness..it reminds me of Virgos..their way of analysis-usually so single minded and focused..without getting distracted..always with a precision and focus that I have always admired.

Hour and a half later: Barely there sweet leafy-ness..not invisible..but just baby soft echoes.,

Lasting power on this is actually pretty impressive; 5+hours with throw average.

Bottom Line: I fell in love with Virgo; I have worn it a couple of times and it just keeps getting better. I love it’s dewy..almost cool greenness..intertwined in that is the sweetness of the honeysuckle and the fennel; I believe the carrot seed must also lend a degree of sweetness; the whole vibe of this is just amazing. I like it enough to wear it during the cold damp rainy days of spring but I have to admit..wearing it on a rainy day in October was just as wonderful. So far the Earth signs haven’t disappointed; am so glad I bought a bottle. What an evocative scent.

I am amazed at how good Virgo is, especially since it contains valerian - which contains the term "phu" in its botanical description.

It evokes the fertile aspect of earth: a source of nutrients for living, growing things,

smells exactly like fresh green grass in springtime, with a vegetable garden in the background!! Quite nice, actually.

This doesn't smell earthy to me at all.

It's an aquatic. A green aquatic. Not sure if sweet or salt water, but it's water. Especially after drydown I get this watery, slightly sparkly, slightly salt-crust thing that so reminds me of some other scent... wish I'd know which one. Maybe Danube? Or Amsterdam? I'm also thinking Midnight though that's not an aquatic scent. Maybe it was Pontarlier as someone else mentioned that.... But Pontarlier wasn't as slick as this one.

Yes, it's slick. It's almost slimy. A slimy green thing. I'm sorry, it just doesn't work on me at all. But then I'm not your typical Virgo (courtesy of jarvenpa), am I?

It's got an air of grand flowers, don't know why. It doesn't work on me much the same way lilies don't.

That probably doesn't make much sense.

Whatever, I'm glad to have found a decant since I was sooo curious, and also to complete my collection of 07 zodiacs. :P

Fresh, aquatic, and slightly floral in the imp. I can barely recognize most of the notes, much less discern them. Very very green on the skin. Leafy at first and morphs quickly into a green floral- that's the honeysuckle (the one I know!). Good throw.

Totally veggie in the imp, totally veggie on my skin. So fresh and pleasant, it makes me think of the bins of organic vegetables at the farmer's market. After a while the fern and honeysuckle kick in, so there's a slight sweetness that doesn't eclipse the green at all. I wouldn't have believed it before, but now I'm gonna try to get a bottle of this.

In the bottle: Myrtle and valerian. It reminds me of a perfume I once got in high school in Ashland Oregon.

First on: Now the fern and honeysuckle are a bit more prominent, making it a gentle green scent. It makes me think of a light meadow fading into a wood.

Drydown: There's almost a subtle spice to the wood, and the floral and sweetness are fading, but still there. Maybe it's that I'm reading Don Quixote, but it reminds me of that meadow again, but with ferns and flowers all around, and one that people rarely if ever had seen.

Overall: It's light and pure with depth to it. A very good representation of a Virgo in my opinion, pure and innocent, but not plain.

I found a bottle of this through an ISO post...I'm a double Virgo, so I HAD to try it.

In the bottle, it smells like some awapuhi incense I had once. Which is a good thing, because I loved that incense.

When I put it on, it turns a little more incense-y, but not unpleasantly so. My skin loves this stuff, and one of my friends smelled it and said it just smelled like me.

I'm SO glad I found a bottle...I may have to look for another one...:P

In the bottle: Sharply planty-green. Fresh, but oh it's sharp.

Wet: Yay, milder. Still very green, planty, and fresh. The honeysuckle is there but it's hiding. I can detect the myrtle. Overall it's quite astringent, like plant medicine. I suppose that's astrologically accurate.

Dry: Suddenly it seems to have softened alot into a primarily honeysuckle-myrtle blend, and it's going a bit powdery. Strange!

Summary: Soft green honeysuckle in the end. I dislike the sharp early stages, though, and it doesn't ever hook me. Up for swap. Alas, cries my virgo moon.

I so wish I could find the original virgo blend. :P

In the bottle: fresh garden dirt, fennel, fern

Wet: honeysuckle, bundle of rooted veggies

Dry: Wet myrtle--what a wonderful woodiness...almost mossy! Totally green and garden fresh sweetened with honeysuckle. Lots of leafiness lingering about. A nurturing and comfortable scent that is well grounded.

Love this! Smells green, very very green and just a little bit of floral...guess that'd be the honeysuckle, it's perfect for spring, glad I found some of this :joy:

Definitely get a fresh green apple blossom blend, but as it dries it gets more of a 'watermelon' vibe. I think the watermelon comes from the honeysuckle and myrtle.

Overall, I find this a light, fresh, green blend. I like it more than I thought I would. :D

Whew! This is sharp and herbal when first applied. It makes me wrinkle my nose a little. As it dries, thankfully it smooths out. The honeysuckle is surprisingly prevalent here, where I thought the other notes would drown her out. This is earthy, and green. I like it, and for some reason, I find this to be calming. I don't know how often I would necessarily wear it, but I'm very glad I got to try it.

In the imp: Sweetness

Wet: A very earthy and green smell. Reminds me of a long walk through a quiet forest.

Dry: Still a very green smell, but something smoother and softer coming through. I'll agree with the people above who mentioned aquatics.

Overall: It's a lovely scent, but I don't really think it's me.

This went on pure, sweet, and clean like a shot of clover single note or something. As it dried though, it turned to generic sweet floral and I can't make it work on my skin :(

First sniff: Very wet and green, pale leaf-shoots and clear running water. It smells like Spring.

Wearing: The honeysuckle explodes off my skin in a fantastic burst of cool green sweetness. Oh so much love.

This one starts out green stems and ferns and then becomes floral. Unfortunately, when I sniff my wrist, I can TASTE the fragrance. Don't ask me why because I am clueless. But if I wanted to taste the stuff, I'd have swigged from the bottle instead of applying it daintily to my wrists.

So bye bye Virgo 2007.

I feel like I lucked into this in the oddest of ways. Was in discussion with a wonderful forumite who had inquired about one of my bottles. As we discussed what I had that she was interested in -- two bottles and an imp -- and what she had that I was interested in -- one bottle and an imp -- she invited me to look over her swap/sale list to see if there was anything I might like that could even out the swap.

There was nothing on my wish list but I really wanted to swap with her so I looked up some different blends' notes ... and since I was also looking for a final birthday goodie for my daughter, a Virgo, I decided to take the plunge on this 5 ML which I don't think I'd ever noticed before. I figured if I liked it, I'd just send her an imp and see what she thought. And if I didn't, I'd send her the whole bottle LOL. She got an imp.

IN THE IMP: Unbelievably and unexpectedly green and woodsy.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm

WET: Absolutely lovely. I know most people have likened it to veggie gardens but on me, for some reason, it evokes one of my favorite rare BPAL specialities -- the "walking into a florist's shop when there are freshly cut stems all over the floor" (not unlike my beloved Strength). Not so much floral as the green part of the flowers.

DRYDOWN: Very light and barely there. Like many of the "greens" blends, this does not have a lot of legs on me. But it is light and lovely and, in fact, the slightest bit like my precious original Herbal Essence shampoo.

OVERALL: I love love love this and will just have to slather it instead of dab it in the future. Waiting to here what Dana thinks of hers. If she likes it I'm gonna have to decant her another imp or two. And I do think this will appeal to her, knowing her tastes.

On a scale of 1-5, a definitely 4.7 or so. Maybe more.

This is lovely! Fresh, green, herbal, and floral with a vegetal touch from the carrot seed. It's reminds me a little like Karme with added flowers, and I love Karme so this is a win! I was worried about the fennel since I'm not a huge fan of it but it isn't going licorice on me, it's just adding a slight bite overall. This blend is very cool in temperature, so it'll definitely make a good summer scent. :D Also, after a while something in here starts smelling a little like sweet incense, and it's pretty nice. :wub2: This is definitely gonna get a ton of use once the weather warms up!