Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heysunshine

Thirteen (13): July 2007

A base of cocoa absolute and white chocolate with thirteen baneful and beneficial bits including vanilla bean, white ginger, orchid, golden peach, massoia bark, clove, honey, and starfruit.

I'm really not a fan of this one. At. All.
It smells really chocolatey in the bottle but this fades after a few minutes on the skin, where (on me) it turns into a nasty peach air-freshener smell which actually makes me feel sick. I have to admit that I was very dissapointed as this was my first 13 and I was really hoping I'd like it but, alas, no. :P Edited by *Dani*

This is a sweet, fruity chocolate scent. I keep waiting for the clove to come out but it really doesn’t – or at least it hasn’t so far. No, instead this remains a fruity chocolate scent. The chocolate seems fairly dry, and as it wears the fruity becomes more distinctly peach. This smells completely edible, like an exotic fruity truffle. I like this version of 13 quite a lot, not as much as the Oct 06 version , but more than the others – so it’s my second favorite 13 version. It is quite chocolate – not the cream filled chocolate of Candy Butcher but dry, almost dusty chocolate. Exotic fruity truffle is the best way to describe this one. Yum!

13 (July 2007)

In Bottle: Hot cocoa and fruit

On Skin: Wow, this 13 is very cocoa heavy. It’s not sticky melty chocolate, it’s dry powery cocoa that has just been blended with some milk and has a tasty fruity dessert on the side. I really like the chocolate feel of this scent, but I’m not a fan of it mixed with fruit. I think mainly because when I eat chocolate, I like it by itself and don’t like it mixed with fruit, nuts or anything like that. The ginger is very light adding a soft spice along with the clove. The honey and vanilla layer the sweetness, and the peach and starfruit offer a little tart tang to cut through the decadence. The orchid is also there, but so very faint and more like a sidenote that stands on it’s own and doesn’t really get drowned by the molten yumminess. It’s a very interesting scent, and one of my favorite 13’s for sure. I like that the cocoa is dominant and remains that way. It does make me hungry and I’m going to go make a cup of hot cocoa right now. Strong throw and average to long wearlength.

While this oil is wet, some combination of the notes (probably fruit notes) smells like air freshener. Thankfully that doesn't last. It was a little too bright and sweet for me there at the beginning.

As it dries, the scent deepens and takes on a luxurious richness. The peach and starfruit are still making themselves known, but they're not as overpowering as they were. It mostly smells like a creamy cocoa and honey scent, with some timid spices. I like the ginger in it.

I think the fruits are keeping this one from being my favorite, which is weird because I usually love peach. But I'd really like to smell just that cocoa/honey/spice combination, so the peach is annoying me a little. Yes, I am annoyed at a perfume note. I'm not sure whether I should feel ashamed of myself or proud of myself because of that.

Anyway, I still like the orange-label version of 13 the best, but this is a good one too.

As much as I don't really go for chocolate or cocoa blends ever, this one really isn't too bad. The chocolate is nice albeit a bit cakey, but it rather quickly wears off and I'm left with a foody/fruity scent. It's nice, but I can smell the golden peach and that really isn't a favourite of mine. The honey definitely makes this quite sweet, but it's not cloying. Wish I could smell more of the clove.

In the bottle, this scent is just complex and heartbreakingly beautiful. I get the initial whiff of chocolate, but then a lot of bright, warm fruitiness, which is quite lovely. When it is applied to my skin, my resin-loving body chemistry does heartbreaking things to it. My body has a great way of taking 2 or 3 ingredients out of 13 and amping them to nose-shattering levels, and that's what happened here. I suspect that the white ginger is, in fact, the ginger blossom floral scent rather than the ginger root scent that I love. Add that to the orchid and the starfruit, and I have trouble. I'm not typically a scent locket person, since I normally want to wear what works on my skin, but this version of 13 gives me reason to reconsider that notion, for it is really that pretty.

This was actually the first bottle of BPAL that I ever bought... wow. Just wow. :P Heehee, instantly in love with it.

Chocolate, orchid, and warm something-or--other (probably the clove) on me. I've noticed, having a look at some of the other reviews, that few people actually hit the clove note strong enough to have it stick around during drydown, but this wasn't the case for me. I got the sweet chocolate, the bare hint of a strange colored orchid, and the warm glow of the clove backing it all. It's like the lovechild of Bliss and Thanatos on me... odd, at times, but good. Very good.

I've had the opportunity to try 13 from 2005, and from April 2007, both of which were very fruity and weird on me--particulary the April 13, which turned light orchid and crisp fruit. Lovely, but more in love with the July 13. :D Which explains why I went hunting for a second bottle. :D

Wow...this is a good one. I almost didn't order this one, because I tend to have mixed luck with chocolatey scents, but this is just amazing! I get a rich dark cocoa (which does work better on me than chocolate), a dollop of honey and beautiful, spicy peach. The peach really starts to come out on me after a while, which is exactly what I hoped for. :P

In the imp: Sour milk. Yickies. Spices and sour milk.

On the elbow: Ok, the sour milk smell is being overwhelmed by the spices and I think I get some fig in this? Maybe that's the massoia bark. The sour milk smell is wafting though.

Drydown: This is sharp spices and sour milk. Not so pleasant on me. I blame the honey note for the sour milk smell, but it's possible it's the massoia.

Swapped.

Initial sniff from bottle: Chocolate of course!!! Something is flitting around there underneath the surface of course..maybe a bit of fruit??? I also get a tinge of floral..but it’s not really discernable..I just get the waft of chocolate.

Applied wet on skin: Chocolate and fruit!!! I think more starfruit than peach..and yes..I get some vanilla bean and sweetness that must be the honey.

Couple of minutes on skin: Fruit has retreated a bit now and it’s more chocolate..though softened a bit but I get more presence from the vanilla. Am not really getting the clove or massoia or ginger..but it’s still early.

Ten minutes later: Interesting…sweetness…the honey and vanilla..with the orchid kind of peeking..and I get a soft spicy-like slant which I have to assume is maybe the clove and ginger??? They are very subdued though..blended seamlessly..and I swear I can still smell a wisp of the peach and/or starfruit.

Thirty minutes later:Sweet echoes of fruit against the honey and vanilla..the chocolate is underneath with the clove..again..all of this is very seamless. Nice waft..still very much present.

Later:Well..it’s back to being a bit more chocolate driven..but it still retains the touch of orchid and vanilla…

Drydown: Sweetness..touch of foody thrown in there.

Lasting power-9+ hours with throw average

Bottom Line: The July 07 version was the one I wasn’t too sure about because of the fruit but I am glad I took the chance. I find it a welcome addition to my 13 collection; as with all the ones I have had the pleasure to try I like to wear them in the fall and winter..although this just might work for spring as well. Keeper.

In Bottle: Hot chocolate and fruit... Lots of fruit... This MIGHT be okay...

Wet on skin: Now it smells spicy. Hey! Where did all the fruit and chocolate go?!

Dry on skin: Yummmm! Just pure chocolate, white chocolate and fruit...I want to eat my arm now... no spice... yipeeee! :P This one makes me smile.

13 is one of the first bottles I've purchased. I've tried at LEAST 70 BPals this week... I know. I'm a newbie. I went a lil nuts :D But so far this is BY FAR my FAVORITE...

*EDITED hours later*

Oops, this ones gotta go. It turns sour on my skin over time... almost nauseating. Darnit. I thought I'd found a winner.

Edited by xXxPinkadoodlexXx

bottle: chocolate and fruit. it's probably the peach but it just smells ripe and juicy, not really peachy.

wet: definitely peach now! there's still that chocolatey undertone but it's primarily fruit on me.

dry: peachy with a slight glint of spicy chocolate. yumyumyumyumyum. :P

LOVE!!! :D ok, here's why:

in the bottle: CHOCOLATE. that's. all. swoon-worthy in it's richness, i might add.

wet on skin: more chocolate, and a gorgeous, rich spicy note gets thrown into the mix. :)

dry down: this is kind of what i'd thought Dia de los Muertos would be, and wasn't: a beautiful cinnamon-chocolate mix, very, very reminiscent of Mexican hot chocolate. mmmmm

in all: a warm, foodie scent that lasts for hours to keep you going through the long, cold winter afternoons.

:P

ADDED April 2:

in the bottle: that rich cocoa absolute that i loved with the white label version B)

wet on skin: WOW! i get clove, something a bit citrus that might be the starfruit, and something spicy/sweet i can't identify ;)

dry down: chocolate-laden, but tempered with the clove and fruit- a little bit of peach now-and it's really a good food oil. :D

in all: foodies will adore this one, but some open-minded spice fans should give it a try too!

:D

Bottle: What a weird combo. I get a bare hint of chocolate and a whole heaping of fruit notes. A nice blending of fruit..not too sharp

Wet: I am not good at picking out fruit notes especially when there are this many. I think the peach is there and maybe some vanilla. Its very pretty smelling...I think I can catch the cocoa absolute sitting in the back ground. Its kinda showy, definite throw

Dry: First impressions of it drying is that there is something very acidic/sharp cutting through....I'm not sure I like. 13 has mellowed out a bit but I think its a bit strong for me, it gives a bit of a headache. Its more of a mix of fruit and florals..hmmm

Overall: I give this a 2.5-3 out of 5. Its not great but its not horrible...maybe I can layer it with something

I should preface by saying that I am a foody.. this is the.. genre of scent I tend to fall for.. just making it known, since I have a bias.. though I might be harder on a scent in this category since I love some of them so dearly..

13 is.. interesting. Sometimes it is all sweet.. sometimes it is all floral.. and sometimes.. sadly.. it is almost.. bitter. The main notes I get are chocolate.. with some strength but.. not entirely dominate, ginger (I do believe it is the ginger.. and not the clove) orchid and peach. I think the bark must be there (and I actually fault it for making this smell.. off to me... chocolate and fruits is yummy.. chocolate and bark.. ummmm.. ) With this scent.. if I just catch a quick whiff of it, it is very lovely.. but if I go to.. huff it.. I get this weird.. sour.. almost.. ear waxyness from it. It is not that big of a deal, as I don't often have other people huffing my wrist.. and I normally don't sit around with my own nose glued to it either. :P

I will preface this by saying I am NOT a foody.... yet I enjoyed this scent!

I was super scared of the chocolate. I like eating the stuff :P , but haven't had good experiences with it as perfume except for Centzon Totochtin, and maybe Velvet.

But, when I'm wearing 13-7/07, I just get a yummy scent, totally interesting with the fruit and florals in it! I find it hard to describe, without going down the list of scents and checking them off one by one. I'm actually put in mind of Sugar Skull '07, which could simply be because it's the last foody scent I liked, but might also be because of the sweet sugar-fruit scents. Anyway, I might look into getting more of this one!

I am a huge fan of the original 13, on me it's all glorious chocolate and orange. But this one leaves me going "Ewwww!"

In the bottle it's very spicy. I can definitely pick out the clove and the cocoa. It's dark and sharp.

On my skin it's very strong and still sharp. The clove and the cocoa are still dominating the other notes completely. I can only just touch on the peach every now and then. I keep sniffing my wrists hoping to find that with time this has smoothed out and become less sharp and bitter. I'd love to see more of the sweetness come through. So far it's just not happening though. In some ways this strikes me as a very commercial men's cologne sort of scent.

The first incarnation of 13 (that I know of anyway) that has the white label, is still my favorite.

the rich, powdery cocoa is so strong that it takes a minute to pick out any of the other notes. i smell something green and creamy -- i'm guessing it's the massoia. the honey and vanilla add gorgeous sweetness, and the peach provides a hit of juicy, fresh fruit. i can't find the orchid, clove, or ginger. although there are a lot of notes, the resulting drydown is mainly chocolate and peach, a lovely combination.

Edited by tinyvulture

in the bottle this is all cocoa. not chocolate. On wet its more chocolate. when I was sniffing after it dryed I smelt almost like chocolate dipped apples with a powder undertone. then I saw there was peach in it. Peach and me hate each other I think the combo of peach and clove was the deathnell for me.

13 is a morpher on me.

it starts out with sweet sweet chocolate, peach, and I think orchid on my skin. Maybe its the honey that makes the chocolate seem so sugary.

About an hour later it suddenly turns spicy. My first response is cinnamon, but its not that kind of spice... must be the clove and ginger coming out to play.

After the spicy state comes a nice smoky cocoa scent. I think the fruit is mostly gone at this point (I'd say about 4 hours in).

I LOVE cocoa, and I love the spicy stage of 13, but I'm not entirely sure I love the blend as a whole. The jury is still out. At the very least, I'm waiting until a hot summer day when I want to smell like cocoa but not feel smothered by it.

In the bottle the chocolate base is not very evident. Instead I smell the juicy tropical fruits and massoia bark with a bit of honey sweetness grounded by the vanilla and ginger.

When first applied the coconutty massoia is very prominent on me along with the ginger and clove. A bit of white chocolate comes through but at this stage the wonderful fruitiness is lost.

In the drydown the coconut like scent is still there touched with orchid and vanilla. It is soft, pretty and tropical.

Overall though I'm not a coconut fan and I miss the wonderful chocolaty quality in the other 13s I have. I wish the fruits I smelled in the bottle came out on my skin. I'm going to have to give this a try in my hair and locket to see if different notes will come out to play.

Hm, this one is so much lighter in feel than the others. The ginger, orchid and honey jump out first, and not far behind you get the clove and what I expect is the massoia bark. After awhile, the cocoa absolute finally makes itself known.

In bottle: as with the orange label 13 (one of my favourite BPALs), I can smell a touch of chocolate, but the fruity and woody notes are stronger.

Wet on skin: fruity-spicy goodness with no chocolate at all! Peach, starfruit, ginger and clove take centre stage. It's creamy and exotic, but also warm and comforting. The fruit starts to go a little sharp on me, which has happened with peach before. Not much throw.

Dry on skin: white chocolate appears, although it's more like a white chocolate drink than a bar of chocolate. Vanilla joins in, softening the fruit, and there's a slight nuttiness which must be from the massoia bark. Subtle and pretty in an almost-but-not-quite-foody way.

Verdict: I love this! The peach is the same as the rich, baked peach in Jack, the massoia adds a nutty coconut richness, while white chocolate and vanilla keep this creamy and comforting. It's different from my favourite orange label 13, but similar enough in tone that everyone who enjoys one of them should try the other! This scent makes me happy!

This is chocolate, but chocolate liquer. It mellows to chocolate with maple syrup, and perfumed eau de toilette, and eventually to peach with a nibble of clove.

It's like that recipe I made with peaches, poached in honey and cloves and red wine. But with Ghirardhelli cocoa powder dusted over it just as it's served.

mmmmmm

In the vial: Chocolate and bright yellow fruit.

On me: This Thirteen morphs almost constantly during wear, so it's rather difficult to write about. Yellow and orange fruits which are always present at varying strengths—they are the star of the scent, bright and golden, more dry than juicy, and distinct but not overpowering. Sometimes the fruit is sharpened by a bite of fresh, fibrous ginger; sometimes the fruit is smoothed out by sweet and creamy white chocolate and vanilla. There's also musty herbal chocolate, reminiscent of Thirteen April 2007 but softer, a strange organic scent which is oddly like algae and chocolate if algae and chocolate smelled amazingly good—it's prominent when first applied, provides a soft herbal grounding throughout wear, and sometimes pops up and makes itself more distinctly known. All of those aspects weave over and under one other in varying strengths and combinations to provide a constantly-shifting blend of peach and starfruit marked by cream and ginger and backed by herbs and chocolate. (Meanwhile, the boyfriend sniffs me and picks up most on the sweetness of the white chocolate, which reminds him of candy, and the slight floral edge of the orchid, which I can't pick out at all.)

Verdict: Thirteen July 2007 is constantly morphing, a bit unusual, yet quite palatable. I love the pure musty chocolate of Thirteen April 2007, but it's not a scent to delight the masses; this, however, is a Thirteen that passing strangers will like on first sniff. It's also a delight to wear, and it's fun to track how all of the components fade in and out. However, the golden fruits don't quite suit my personality, even if they don't offend my nose. I don't think this is a blend which I'll wear often—but I loved the opportunity to experience it, and I'll probably keep the imp around for those infrequent times when I long for golden fruit.