Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bpalblogger

Black Opal and other stone, mineral type scents

I fell head over heels with Black Opal. Does anyone have recommendations for scents like it, and others that feature a clean, mineral, granite, stone type smell?

There are not too many scents that remind me of Black Opal, honestly, but you might want to try Dorian. It has the same clean white musk, sweet vanilla, and sexy something that reminds me a bit of Black Opal :P

You might also want to try Sea of Glass, it's a clean and (obviously) glassy fragrance.

white rabbit.

Unfortunately, White Rabbit smells just like burnt rubber on my skin, in a very bad way. Nothing but bad, burnt rubber. I wanted to like it, from the description, but my skin hates it.

There are not too many scents that remind me of Black Opal, honestly, but you might want to try Dorian. It has the same clean white musk, sweet vanilla, and sexy something that reminds me a bit of Black Opal :P

You might also want to try Sea of Glass, it's a clean and (obviously) glassy fragrance.

I'll definitely have to try those two. I don't need a dupe of Black Opal necessarily, but more... I just like the smell of stone, you know? Rain on wet concrete/cracked granite sort of thing.

I'll definitely have to try those two. I don't need a dupe of Black Opal necessarily, but more... I just like the smell of stone, you know? Rain on wet concrete/cracked granite sort of thing.

Yes, that was the first thing that I thought of when I read your post (cool rain on warm concrete). There was a fragrance that smelled exactly like that for me, and it's been bothering me for hours now that I cannot remember what it was, lol.

You might want to try Brimstone, my review for that one, "I fully agree with those who have said that Brimstone smells like a forest fire that has just been rained on. It smells exactly like ash that has been cooled down, beaten, and subdued by a fresh rain. It's surprisingly cool and gloomy." So it's sort of cool ash and rain. That's the closest that I can think of right now to that rained on concrete impression. Hurricane is another one that I really like that smells like damp woods (but a lot of people really hate that one, lol).

If I remember the scent that smelled exactly like cold rain on hot sidewalks to me, I will come back and edit this. It's driving me crazy now. :P

Edited by Blood onmy hands

Centzon Totochtin has this bizzare hot-rock smell on me. It wavered between smelling exactly like rock and exactly like fresh blood, and so kind of creeped me out, but you might get lucky and just get the stone-scent.

Jacob's Ladder has a distinct "powdered golden rock" feel to it =)

What you're loving, I think, is the heavy dose of egyptian musk in Black Opal

So, the Faerygirl is into rocks. We go to the occasional rock show and we visit our favorite rock shop on a regular basis. What do you recommend as the proper perfume for surrounding oneself with stones, gems, minerals, and fossils?

Hee! I clicked on "what to wear to a rock show" actually thinking it was about going to the rock shows I mentioned above. Shows where my mind is, I guess. Er, rather, where it is not.

Here's another for Black Opal!! If you think about glittering geodes and veins of opalescent shimmer coursing through quartz when you sniff it, it really really smells like all that good stuff! :P

If you can get a hold of any Shanghai Tunnel or Fortunato those have a nice mineral note as well.

'Dirt' smells in the general catalogue like Death Cap or Destroying Angel might work as well but perhaps those would be best for a mycological exhibit!

Kumari Kundam- "Thick incense, clay, stone, and hothouse blooms with a spike of frost, a hint of decay, and heavy, dolorous aquatic notes," maybe layered with GothRosary's Crypt lotion. Mmmm.

:P I can't come up with any new suggestions (yet) but I had to come in and laugh at the topic!

Burial smells just like last summer's geo field site at night: pond mud, greenery, and earthquakes.

Aaaaaand now an imp of that's going in my next order. Hahah!

(Where was the field site, might I ask?)

EDIT: To be a leetle bit more on topic, Moai. Seriously. It smells almost alarmingly exactly like basalt, particularly later on, when more of the acrid fume aspect has faded away.

Edited by Seismogenic

you might want to find to helen, from the love poems series of this past year. it has an "opaline" note that reminds me a lot of black opal, if not being identical. black opal is more "stripped-down" to this note, while to helen is a little creamier, a little more floral -- but definitely not overly so. it's nice!

I just like the smell of stone, you know? Rain on wet concrete/cracked granite sort of thing.

I have seen other people longing for this kind of scent in some other threads, particularly pining for rain on wet pavement but it's along those lines.

I have not tried them yet but also like things that smell like stone and had marked Jezirat Al Tennyn and Kumari Kandam from Wanderlust. One sounds warm and one sounds cold to me.

Kumari Kandam is really interesting in that it honest to goodness manages to be warm and cold at once (though, on me, the cold burns off sooner than the warm). It is bizarre, in the best possible way. And I really do get a lot of stone and clay out of it. I think I can actually pick the geological notes out better in Kumari Kandam than I can in Black Opal, since the vanilla aspect of Black Opal really confuses my nose.

I'm also curious to try the Isle of Demons and Jezirat al Tennyn.

I'm also curious to try the Isle of Demons and Jezirat al Tennyn.

Isle of Demons is predominantly tropical flowers, a hint of something fruity and a whiff of something like brimstone, on me. Just FYI!

:P

Browsing through some of the threads for scents meant to evoke stone, I see mentions of things like citrus, mint, vanilla... I'm mostly a perf00m n00b, so perhaps I'm just ignorant of the ~mysterious alchemies~ of perfumery, but I've had experiences of "aquatic" or "snowy" scents not actually smelling like bodies of water* or accumulations of snow and that makes me curious as to how literal it is when something is described as having a "stone" note or whatnot?

* which I actually associate mostly with wet rock/sediment anyway

I think a lot of it depends on our own perceptions. I've never thought of "stone" from Black Opal, whether in the bottle or on my skin, but I know others have. I just assume that my nose just isn't picking up on some notes as others are, and that's fine, that's just the way it goes.

I assume that notes like stone don't mean that Beth crushes stones to put it into BPAL...although I don't know, does she?! :lol: I never take anything like that literally -- i.e., stone, dirt, crypts, etc. -- but the description can definitely evoke that scent, or the feel of that thing.