Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Concupiscentia

Loving the frankincense!

A mod will probably move this, but http://www.bpal.org/...ecommendations/ is the thread you are looking for.

Poo, I perused all the forums to see where I should post and this one seemed the most general. Figures I'd find the wrong one. LOL Thanks for giving me the heads up. :)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to be on the lookout for all of them! :joy:

Usually when you're looking for a particular note, it's best to search the BPAL website and then just browse the list. But the search engine is down for maintenance, so I recommend digging around Scent Sribbles for now. It's a little more cumbersome, because unlike the BPAL search, it doesn't show you all the notes. You have to click on the name of a scent to see the rest of the notes. But, it's still useful.

I finally figured out how to organize the whole of your search results by company! Whoo. Here are scents with frankincense in them, with all the BPALs grouped together.

I just purchased Valentine of Rome. I know I will love it. I have Kostinice, which I love. I'm going to have to locate some Penitence and Midnight Mass soon or I'll burst! :frustrated:

I just purchased Valentine of Rome. I know I will love it. I have Kostinice, which I love. I'm going to have to locate some Penitence and Midnight Mass soon or I'll burst! :frustrated:

Valentine of Rome is really, really good! :wub2:

Got my Valentine of Rome. Ahhhhhh. :joy: Heaven in a bottle....

I'm sure I smell cloves in there too but i don't see it listed in the scents it's made up of. LOVE THIS!

I'm going to go wallow in it now......hehe

I got Midnight Mass so now I can stop banging my head so hard. Still banging for Penitence though. LOL

I will get the Midnight Mass in the mail today. It's out for delivery!! :joy:

It just got here! Midnight Mass!!! :joy:

I'm not sure it gets much better than this! Terrific recommendation for the frankincense. What a wonderful oil this is, Midnight Mass.

Loving this one! :loveya:

I wonder if anyone can help me with frankincense.

I started liking it because of all the BPAL oils that I really, really liked they all had frankincense in them. All of them were resiny, deep scents so I assumed frankincense was an incense smelling resin, along the lines of a musk, or an amber, or a sandalwood ( I know those aren't resins but I am trying to get across what I thought frankincense was supposed to smell like). Well I decided to find straight up pure frankincense. The first store I found had it but when I smelled theirs it was like a floral smell. So today I went to the flea market and the guy that I buy oils from didn't have any but he also said frankincense was a floral type smell (because I told him that I had found some but it was florally and if he had the one that was the deep smelling frankincense).

So I am confused as all get out. Is frankincense a deep scented resin or is it florally. I am going to have to read all the ingredients again on all my faves to see if there is another scent in all of them besides the frankincense if it IS a floral smell!

I just tried Imperious Tiger-Lily for the first time and I love it! It's a deep scented oil and it has frankincense in it! So what's making this smell so deep like an incense? Help!

I started liking it because of all the BPAL oils that I really, really liked they all had frankincense in them. All of them were resiny, deep scents so I assumed frankincense was an incense smelling resin, along the lines of a musk, or an amber, or a sandalwood ( I know those aren't resins but I am trying to get across what I thought frankincense was supposed to smell like). Well I decided to find straight up pure frankincense. The first store I found had it but when I smelled theirs it was like a floral smell. So today I went to the flea market and the guy that I buy oils from didn't have any but he also said frankincense was a floral type smell (because I told him that I had found some but it was florally and if he had the one that was the deep smelling frankincense).

So I am confused as all get out. Is frankincense a deep scented resin or is it florally. I am going to have to read all the ingredients again on all my faves to see if there is another scent in all of them besides the frankincense if it IS a floral smell!

I don't know what happened with that store, and the guy who told you that was smoking something! :lol: frankincense is a tree resin, and it doesn't smell anything like flowers. Here's one description of the scent: "characterized by a balsamic-spicy, slightly lemon, and typical fragrance of incense, with a slightly conifer-like undertone." And here's another: "At first, it is reminiscent of freshly ground black pepper, with a twist of lemon peel in the background. As the oil dries down, it reveals its dry woody character, which lies halfway between balsamic richness and flinty mineral crispness."

At the store, were they selling lumps of resin or something else?

I don't know what happened with that store, and the guy who told you that was smoking something! :lol: frankincense is a tree resin, and it doesn't smell anything like flowers. Here's one description of the scent: "characterized by a balsamic-spicy, slightly lemon, and typical fragrance of incense, with a slightly conifer-like undertone." And here's another: "At first, it is reminiscent of freshly ground black pepper, with a twist of lemon peel in the background. As the oil dries down, it reveals its dry woody character, which lies halfway between balsamic richness and flinty mineral crispness."

At the store, were they selling lumps of resin or something else?

Smoking something....hehe :D

It was just frankincense oils in a bottle-both of them. I didn't think it was supposed to be flowery either. In fact the first store I tried, after smelling their bottle, I left thinking this wasn't what I was looking for. Then when I tried the guy at the flea market (all he sells is oils, incense and leather belts) and he said his was flowery too, that's when I started questioning if frankincense was what I thought it was. He did say though that his was synthetic and the true essential oil of frankincense may very well be resiny but he said it'd be very expensive, like 90.00 per bottle. :(

So maybe these are synthetic oils that I'd found and not true frankincense.

Thanks for helping me out so I didn't think I was going crazy!! :D

My mom used to wear a necklace made of frankincense resin beads. In their natural state, resin has a warm, slightly sweet, dry spice. I wouldn't call it floral (now dragon's blood, that is a floral smelling resin!) but it is lighter than many other resins. I have also tried burning frankincense resin as incense and all I can say is it smells like church; it is one of the main ingredients in Catholic ceremonial incense.

......He did say though that his was synthetic and the true essential oil of frankincense may very well be resiny but he said it'd be very expensive, like 90.00 per bottle. :(

So maybe these are synthetic oils that I'd found and not true frankincense.

Thanks for helping me out so I didn't think I was going crazy!! :D

Nope! Frankincense oil should cost around $10 or $15. I checked 2 different sites that sell essential oils that I trust and that was about the average. It's not one of the more expensive oils.

I got a sampler for around $20, it's a few 2ml bottles of different varieties of frankincense, very nice to smell the subtle differences.

Did anyone else think there was a bit of shortage of frankincense in the new Halloween update? I only see it twice, in Nymphae Avernales and Golden Apple Of The Sun. [or maybe this is just the first time I've noticed it not being used a lot]

I finally found some that smells like I expected!! Yay! Boy this is an intoxicating scent. I got the Boswellia Catererii. I think there's others that I hope to find too. Now I need to figure out how to make bath salts with this. Maybe I'll just add it to my bathwater and wallow. LOL

Thank you to those who helped me out. :cheers:

Necrobump! I'm wearing This World's Joy today. I love the Lab's frankincense. TWJ is dry, white frank, supported by violet & a hint of rose.

Frank faves of mine:

This World's Joy

Anne Bonny

Cleric

In Templum Dei

No. 93 Engine

Seraphim

Tzadikim Nistarim

All Saints

It Sifts From Leaden Sieves

Day of Skulls

Yours?

Oooh, frankincense is great! Les Bijoux and Cicuta are a couple of my faves, and I'm also loving the new Fool scent Eyes Skyward, Eyes Shut. I think it's in Cairo too, though unlisted. I have a special place in my heart for rose/frank blends--the two notes work really well together on me.

Frank & rose are great. I forgot to put Sept on my list. A new fra nk + rose delight :-).

Frank & rose are great. I forgot to put Sept on my list. A new fra nk + rose delight :-).

Agreed! Sept is my current frankenfave.

Antony (Illyria)

Arcana

Becoming Thunder!!

Magus

In Templum Dei 2nd'd

Interfector

King Cobra 3rd'd

Sanctus

Titus Andronicus

LE

Carfax Abbey

Crucifixion

Ego Sum Lux Mundi

La Cloche Felee

La Ronde du Sabbat

Library of John Dee

Om Gan Ganapataye Namaha

Ossa Arida

Palmyra

Practical Occultism

Texare

The Contrast (Fluerette's Purple Snails)

The Cracked Bell

The Magic Circle

There's a Certain Slant of Light

Venus Caelestis

Wynter Wakeneth Al in My Care

Edited by sprout

Agreed! Sept is my current frankenfave.

Ditto! :)

Edited by alterosen