Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Agnes Nutter

Gunpowder, charred wood, smoke, and rusty nails.

In the imp, a burnt gunpowder smell.

On my skin, still a burnt gunpowdery smell. Very acrid. I'm not getting anything else.

Verdict: If you love gunpowder, you'll love Agnes Nutter. Unfortunately, I just don't like gunpowder. Off to the swaps with thee, prophetess.

So, echoing what people have said about this being woodsmoke and charred logs.

I haven't written a review for a while as I'm usually overwhelmed with scents that I have come out of hiding to remark on what is truly, really, very accurately one of the weirdest, quirkiest and most non-Lycanthrope-wearable and not-sure-to-use-as-room-scent aromas I've experienced this year.

It's a brief description, but each element is there. Brimstone to me is powerful smoke + vetiver + cinnamon. Inferno was tons of cinnamon and smoke. Djinn? Myrrh + smoke.

Agnes makes me think of:

1) Black peppery, crackled air after a gunshot. It smells warm, your body is tingling from the discharge, you're not sure if you can relax.

2) You've doused the campfire. Because you're weird like me, you sniff the burnt logs. They smell like Agnes Nutter.

3) See 2, except you were silly enough to sniff too early, you got a snootful of wet smoke. You cough. It pervades. Cough. Ow, my lungs, they burn with hydrocarbons.

4) After a few very disconcerting minutes of wearing Agnes and going 'Whoa...' it dries a bit down to something like Bed of Nails. Sharp, metallic. Tangy. I don't know, on me, this sort of metal-aquatic always smells clean. The 1-3 elements do make it seem dirtier though.

Agnes is sitting on my shelf next to Aziraphale and the two could not be more opposite, I want to slather Aziraphale and I'm not sure I want to wear nor diffuse Agnes, as I think my neighbors would come running to see if I set the place on fire with my newfangled candles and japanese incense...

Edited by Lycanthrope

I finally took a chance on Agnes! I ordered her with Aziraphale, Crowley and War. Not sure why I didn't just go the whole hog and get Shadwell as well, but there you go!

In the bottle: (I may as well give you my immediate reaction from when I first recieved my order and opened the bottles to sniff from them)

Opened the bottle. SMOKE...HOLY SHIT MY HOUSE IS BURNING DOWN. Seriously - smoke EVERYWHERE. And then...barbequed sausages in a burning house. And then barbequed sausages on bonfire night...and then just the sausages. Weird. The smoke'll come back for a little bit and then drift away again. Nice, but I'm not sure how it'll do for a perfume - maybe better as an autumn room scent? This is before I'd come across a scent that smells different in the bottle than it does when on.

Wet: Still fairly sharp smoke. Clouds and clouds of it actually. Whipping this way and that and just on the edge of it there's a suggestion of gunpowder. Much more reminicant of gunfire than fireworks. After a couple of minutes or so there is a slight metallic twinge but it's quickly covered up by the smoke again. A little bit barbeque-y but much more bonfire-y than sausages

Drydown: Burnt wood. No huge clouds of smoke, just the remaints of a big bonfire. Maybe a day or so old, in the autumn with dry leaves and charred logs. You've turned up the evening after it had been burning and the trees are trying to cling onto the warmth of the smoke. Every once in a while the wind'll whip something sharp and acrid back towards you, but it's much more settled than half an hour previous.

If Samhain doesn't turn out agree with me then I think this may turn into my autumn scent! But I doubt I would wear it to work. More the kind of thing for long walks in the dark, wrapped up warm!

This scent is a vetiver lover's dream! It starts off very smoky and pungent- it actually made me cough when I sniffed it too close! As it dries the vetiver comes out and mingles with the smoke and pepperiness to form the ultimate smoky woods scent. (and whoever said this was like Lapsang Souchong was totally right, this does remind me a lot of that, too) This is such a wonderful fall and winter scent for me, as I love the warmth that exudes from smoky and earthy blends, and smelling them outside in comparison with the chill air. Just be careful not to put on too much of this one because it's really strong and it might cause a headache.

I am surely getting a bottle of this one in my next order, it's fabulous! If you love Malediction, Brimstone, and Djinn then this is a must try :P

I got this because I was really curious... not because I wanted to smell like smoke. This is totally amazing. It smells just like the description, which is why I wanted to try it! If you like smelling like an avid hunter/camper, this is for you.

ETA: My boyfriend just got back from a fire he was shooting in the mountains, and he smelled almost just like this scent! haha! Good job bpal!

Edited by DaikonEklectik

This one.. I didn't think you could capture smoke and rusty nails, but it assuredly does it. I tried to wait this one out for a good drydown smell, but finally had to go wash it off because it was giving me a headache.

Agnes Nutter

In the imp: holy crap! Vetiver, and lots of it! This is probably the 'evil' variety that smells of asphalt/rubber on me…

Wet on skin: smoke! now I smell lots and lots of smoke, like standing next to a bonfire. And vetiver.

Dry on skin: ok, now I get the nails, a fresh metallic airy note which is borderline perfumey. But the dominant note is SMOKE. Fire and burning woods and bonfires and gunpowder, this smells like the 5th of November. The metallic note almost smells like cool damp autumn wind here, and rain too, but even the rain won't put out this fire. I'm amazed as to how genuine the burning woods note is in here-it smells like I've been standing next to a wood fire and the smoke is clinging to my skin.

After a while: the 'rusty nails' note has taken over now, and like other metal notes, now turns to sporty perfume on me-it contrasts dramatically with the smoke. It still smells like it's smouldering, and it is still very vetiver-y (now more so than before), but now there's a spritz of generic cologne to it which I'm not crazy about.

Eventually this becomes almost ozone like, but with vetiver. The cool, fresh, bracing metallic perfume is very strong now (reminds me of Macbeth and the Witches with added smoke now), but there's still the burnt wood, and the vetiver, which is almost like tar in here…and I think this perfume will stick to me for days…

The drydown of this scent is men's perfume, pure and simple. A smoky sports cologne.

Verdict: I love the character of Agnes Nutter so I was hoping her scent would work-but sadly, it turns into men's deodorant with smoky vetiver on me. It starts off really well though, as a roaring bonfire of smoky and charring woods, so genuine that I fear that I may set off smoke alarms with this scent! The vetiver fits in well here, really enhances the smouldering scent of burning wood and thick black smoke from a huge bonfire, with a hint of chilly rain like ozone. Sadly, as the fire reaches it's peak, I don't get anything explosive like I hope I would. The vetiver and metallic 'nails' notes turn bad and the scent goes very wrong on me. The vetiver smells like burning rubber, but it's the metal note that really lets me down by turning into a really generic sports deodorant smell-like something I'd expect young boys to wear, but it's not something I like to smell in my BPAL. and this perfumey scent clashes with the charred, tarry vetiver in a way that I'm not keen on.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? no.

If you like this, try: Djinn, Brimstone, Malediction, Devil's Claw, Macbeth and the Witches

Oh my god, I LOVE it when the Lab does this. Nails a scent so gorram perfectly... God. Have y'all smelled this? If not, you see that description there? This is THAT. EXACTLY THAT.

Metal and smoke and burnt wood and it's horrible and acrid and almost makes my eyes sting but it's so, so awesome.

Gah.

I'll never wear this, but it is amazingly accurate and I am really happy that I got to smell it. I would say there's some vetiver in there, and it leaves kind of a nutty afterhaze, but I really don't want to pick it apart, I just want to be amazed by it, okay?

I think neptunienne pretty much nailed it. All I'd add is that in the bottle it smelled rather like the poppers we used to use in the 80's. Reminds me of a leather bar. (Which is a good thing.)

Once on it took a bit of time to settle down, but now dry after an hour or two, it's just this really gentle, smokey scent. I think I can smell the gun powder, but it faded quickly. I didn't know if I'd like this, I just ordered it because Agnes is one of my favorite characters from Good Omens. But this smells just right for her. I can see wearing this to school.

So, I'm two for two and getting ready to try my frimps. If any of the BPAL staff, especially Beth, reads this -- Thank you thank you thank you. You've got a steady customer in me.

Hey, I hate to write what could be construed as a negative review, so if you don't want to hear unfavorable comments--HOLD UP right now, Partner.

Agnes Nutter should be experienced for the sheer engeniousness of its olfactory impression. This one oil illustrates the beauty and art that the BPAL artisans display in their craft--as it singularly conveys the image of Agnes Nutter through the sensation of smell.

Initially, my olfactory reaction is a jolt! In the bottle it smells like straight gunpowder. Just for the record, I am a vetivert lover, not a hater, but I cannot say I love this blend. I detect very little vetiver, as others have opined, but there is a hint of it underneath.

I am a lover of incense smells, burning quality, and even metallic, but this was too harsh, even for my martial tastes (I'm an Aries). There is a sharp quality also, as the scent evolves, it smells sort of like ozone, and IMO lends the impression of a just--fired long gun, or rifle.

Settling down, it does not do, does Agnes: the powder odor continues, the ozone flash fades, and then there is a smell of hot metal, like the barrel of a gun, perhaps, but I have never sniffed one directly so I have no proper frame of reference. The metallic twang is not cold steel nails, like BED OF NAILS, but more hot metal.

Brilliant. But would I wear it? Not even to go hunting--it would scare off the critters! (I don't hunt really, shooting Bambi and Thumper isn't my idea of sport) This would be fabulous as a stage prop during civil war re-enactments, etc. due to the lifelike quality. Nevertheless, I don't really wish to smell like a smoking gun.

To be 100% fair, I did not try it on my skin, as I had such an aversive reaction to the scent, but I smelled it spilled on my dresser and was able to appreciate the morphing it did. It might smell quite lovely on the dry-down, but I could not get past the wet phase to try it, call me a coward if you will. It was one of the very few oil I had a negative visceral reaction to, I was a little nauseated as was mentioned by another forumite.

So despite my decision not to wear it, I still recommend it solely for the novelty of the experience, it should be tried at least once.

Edited by marlena

This perfume is exactly what it says it is--I think this does the best job of capturing the sense of "charred" out of any oil I've tried in the BPAL catalogue. When I first applied the perfume it was very overwhelming. In fact, I tested this perfume by rubbing a drop that got on my finger when I opened the decant onto my wrist. I smelled the metallic notes, the gunpowder notes and what I think was black musk or black amber (both of which go very wrong on me most of the time and did so here as well). The scent does change a lot and I do prefer the later stages of the drydown to the earlier stages. As the scent dries it becomes more metallic-resinous and acquires the warm quality that some other reviewers have talked about in their comments. At this point it smells like a much calmer and slightly warmer version of Djinn.

Gunpowder and woodsmoke, gradually edging into rusty iron and woodsmoke over the course of a few hours.

I ordered a bottle...

to me, this smells like a barbecue. i’d recommend it to fans of Three Witches because it’s got that same heavy smoke. there’s also a strong woodsy note (i’m guessing cedar?) and a ton of vetiver. i’d actually describe it as a woodsy version of Brimstone. it’s burning, acrid, but also somewhat cozy because of the woods and vetiver. i don’t smell anything metallic in this. i didn’t like it at first, but it’s grown on me.

Agnes Nutter – This is very heavy, gritty, abrasive, and dark. There’s something about it that is slightly sweet, too. Overall, it’s way too heavy and powerful for me, but it’s really a unique and interesting scent. It’s very strong and a tiny bit gives off a ton of scent.

I knew Agnes Nutter was a risk when I ordered it, it seems like a love it or hate it kind of scent. However, the description was so interesting I couldn't resist.

Luckily for me, I LOVE it.

In the bottle: super strong gunpowder. I think acrid is the word...it makes my eyes water.

Wet: same as in the bottle, but slightly sweeter. I can smell the rusty nails now and its incredibly accurate. I only put on the tiniest bit but its very strong.

Dry: This dries to a lovely spicy scent on me, like a bonfire with dark, dry wood. The gunpowder is still there, but its not overpowering. I'll wear this often.. and probably tomorrow! I have yet to come across anything quite like this and I'm glad I took a chance!

This is just crazy. I don't know how it is even possible, but it really does smell just like the description.

Certainly one of the smokiest scents I've smelled and it does smell very metallic. Most likely a bit too heavy for me to wear often, but an experience just the same.

Whew, when I put this on, it's like Agnes Nutter catapulting through the sky shouting, "Vetiver away!!" after she's attended an all-you-can-eat ribs buffet.

Initially, this basically smells like a barbecue pit to me. Charcoal and marinated pork. Um, I guess that fragrance could have its niche. As it dries, some of that weird, sweet BBW edge recedes, and it becomes a little more metallic and brimstone-like. Unfortunately, it never goes totally away.

BAH, vetiver! I was really looking forward to this, because I like gunpowder, but as you might have guessed, I do not consider it a success. Try it if your skin DOESN'T hate vetiver. (It could be the wood smoke that's causing the weirdness, but I've gotten this quality from other vetiver blends.)

Edited by naeelah

WOW!

I love this.

In the bottle: smoke and gunpowder.

Wet: gunpowder and rusty nails.

Dry: smoke and gunpowder, rusty nails and sea salt. It took hold of me. I had to keep going back to my wrist to sniff all night. I let my bf sniff and as I said, "gunpowder" he said, "yes, but still definitely a perfume". It's got a tang to it and a lot of smoke. Think I need to run off and buy a bottle soon.

:P

This smells like a gun, thrown onto a bonfire and then fished out of the wet ashes 3 days later.

Crazy indeed and not something I could wear.

My step-mom smelled it in the imp and thought it would be a terrific men's cologne.

Hooray! :D This was just what I was hoping it would be and then it turned into an interesting surprise.

In the bottle: Blech! For those of you who never got it close to your skin, I don't blame you. In the bottle I got a big whif of something that made me kinda nauseous. It wasn't my beloved smoke or wood - don't know what it was to be honest.

So of course I put it on :D

Wet: Smoooooke! Delicious burnpile on a fall day smoke.

Dry: This eventually dries down to such a complex crazy aroma of outdoor goodness that I am tearing up with happiness :D

Fall is my favorite season and I feel so far from my home in the Northwest sometimes and just so damn homesick! But this is the smell of my family farm in early November with the dry crisp leaves covering the damp, rotting leaves; a burn pile going in the orchard while I garden. It's like I pulled the tines of my metal pitchfork up to my face fresh from being stuck into the earth before I toss a pile of leaves into the fire. It's heaven. Absolute heaven. Thank you thank you thank you BPAL! :P

Imp: Smoke and rusty nails, on the nose. Cool.

Wet: Really really smoky. Vaguely like the smoke one would use to make a delicious ham or something. So this strikes me as smoked meats, though there isn't a "meat" note, obviously. Also, there’s a metallic iron element and even something that smells leathery, but maybe that’s just the smoke playing a trick with my nose.

Drying: This really sweetens up. Its very unique, not unpleasant, but not a perfume I can see myself rocking. Later on (2-3 hrs) this gets a strange synthetic smell to it. Like burning, but not like the nice smoke of earlier…more like a burning plastic. It maintains this smokey blend of hot smoke and cold metal for the rest of the time, fairly sweet for what the blend is, but sadly, i get tinges of weirs synth.

Overall: Ah well, not the best for my skin chem, and even if it were, this isn't my type of scent. That said its really interesting, unique, and I like the blend of smoke/metal a lot.

In the Bottle: A smokey campfire in a bottle. With something a little metallic and something a little sweet underneath.

Wet: Smoke! Lots of smoke! Nothing but smoke! And did I mention smoke?

Dry: And we're back to a campfire. Though it's kinda like, half gunpowder half campfire.

Verdict: It's a perfect scent, in that it does exactly what it says on the tin. But having said that, I'm not entirely sure I want to smell like a really nice campfire. It's a nice scent! Just not for me.

3/5

Out of the bottle, this smells like charred wood. Then it fades to a hot cinnamon/pepper smell with a little woodiness. After a while, the smoke, wood, and cinnamon balance out to a nice mellow scent. It reminds me of fireplace smoke wafting through the cold winter air. Very nice, but I don't think I'd wear it everyday. It would probably make a great room scent.

Amazing! It's like Bonfire Night without the sweet at the end, all smoky goodness....mmmmmm :wub: Am surprised that there's vetiver in here, because I don't smell it at all and vetiver usually amps like crazy on me. I'm thinking it's definitely bottle time!