Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heathercaley

The Witch Queen

Wild plum, red musk, tuberose, calla lily, heliotrope, pimento, ylang ylang and beeswax beneath a dark haze of sinister purple-hued incense smoke.

I smelled sharp florals and red musk in the imp, and I really hoped it would work out.

But tuberose is and always has been a note of doom on me. It dominates the whole blend and it's all I can smell. A rosy, soapy, grandma smell. Damn skin chemistry. This could have been a real winner. On someone who's skin behaves with florals, this scent would be awesome.

ETA: after washing it off, I smell what I think is the base notes/drydown and it's actually quite nice. I may retry this.

Smokey, purple musk.....it's very plummy on my skin. This reminds me a lot of Penumbra.

The floral notes add a feminine, grown-up quality to it. Witch Queen smells like something you would put on in the evening to go out dancing or to a really nice pub/lounge with someone special. This is definitley a winter blend.

I love love love this...it's just a simple plummy, smokey incense on my skin.

:wub2:

When I opened this one I could definitely smell the Plum, Lilly, and Heliotrope and it is a wonderfully inviting combination. I apply it to my skin and the scent becomes a warm a sultry musk with a subtle flower scent to it. After a couple of hours the Fragrance has become a cool yet seductive sort of smell that seems to kind of play at your senses. I like this one, it makes me feel fun and dirty yet commanding in that wonderful sort of way.

The Witch Queen has a mix of great and awful notes, so it really could have gone either way. It goes to the good side, though, with red musk barely apparent. I get mostly plummy floral incense. Pretty and dark, but not heavy. A little sexy, but not overtly so. I like this well enough, but the draw here is the plum, and I have other plums I think I prefer (Bathsheba, for one) so I'm not sure it's a keeper.

Witch Queen - hello! A very strong, very heavy scent that I'm not really sure what to think about..

Bottle: Plum! Overly ripe, juicy and sweet plum. Maybe some floral scents mixed in or in the background. But this is sweet and strong and mainly just plum.

Wet: It's really sinister and boozy all of a sudden. The plum retreats in the background and floral scents - mainly calla lily - come into the foreground. Smells earthy somehow, a bit like funeral due to the lilies and earthiness. Smells sharp and a bit.. acrid. I guess that's the incense and the pimento. Yes, the peppery scent of pimento is very strong now.

Dry: Incense and musk become visible, of sorts. Plum and florals blend into one another and smell sweet in harmony. Yes, it must be the musk that has become dominant (although I have never smelled red musk on its own). Possible that other flowers come through more strongly now, but I cannot quite pin down the exact ones. I'm a huge honey lover (hence my name), but the beeswax isn't really noticeable on its own.

It's definitely not a scent for everyday use. I think it's one of my favorites for fall, maybe also winter. It reminds me of plum jam with cinnamon or baked apples with almonds and cloves. It's almost too sweet and heavy, yet it fits to a gloomy fall day with wet brown leaves on the ground. I guess the peppery pimento is the one thing I am not really thrilled about. Would have preferred clove or cardamom instead. The florals are great that way and harmonize well with the plum. Great if you need something sensual and heavy for evening use.. or if you actually feel like a witch queen. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Honey

In decant: dark, slightly sharp. I'm getting plum, musk, beeeswax, and a hint of heliotrope almost smothered by incense. Not a very good beginning for me :/

Wet on skin: plum, musk, heliotrope, beeswax, and incense. Actually, the incense is not too bad here, its actually somewhat nice-smelling. It's a bit heavier than I'd like, but it doesn't automatically break this blend for me. The calla lily and heliotrope is divine, but sadly, the red musk is slowly getting quite powdery.

Dry: dry, I'm quite amazed: It's sweet and creamy without going overboard, a pleasant blend of calla lily, heliotrope, and beeswax. It's turned to something almost stunning...if the red musk wasn't there stomping over everything with its oily-powder-iness. I suppose this kind of makes sense to have the Witch Queen seem so young and sweet and pretty and then suddenly go all weird on you. I mean, I'm sure it works for those who don't have my skin chemistry, but red musk has never really worked for me :(

Verdict: oh well, it was a nice try.

I absolutely love this! I am not able to pick out any particular note that dominates, from wet to dry, but I agree with the description of "purple". To me, it is drop-dead sexy, full of power and portent. I'm hooked! :wub2:

In the imp it's luscious plum, musk and sweet florals. Though I'm skeptical as tuberose, calla lily and heliotrope have not worked on me in other blends.

On wet it's amazingly lush, ripe, bursting, juicy plum and red musk with the sweet florals and incense just peeking through. Amazing throw. I am in love! This may well become my 'go to' scent when I want to feel confident, sexy and damn good. :yum:

Then… poof! it dries and pretty much disappears. If I get my nose really close I get plum, musk and a teeny bit of incense, florals have gone, but it's just a wisp of scent.

Well, I love it so much that I think I'll probably get through this imp pretty darn quickly. Guess it's a big bottle purchase then!

I searched for a sweet purpley incense blend for QUITE awhile. I went through Oya, Urd, Purple Phoenix, and a bunch of others...

Prior reviews made me a little afraid this would be a letdown... tuberose and I don't generally get along, and someone likened this to a Mme. Moriarty lite? Which to me is Eat Me, which I already have.

But, I found my sweet incense holy grail here! :joy:

In the bottle it smells amazingly sweet; that is the plum and musk.

On me, it is sweet plum smoke with wisps of pretty floral poking out.

This is dark and smoky and sweet, without being too heavy or cloying. The juicy plum and red musk give it a warmth, while the calla lily and tuberose give it a cooling touch. The beeswax never really makes itself known to me.

This is light enough to me to wear anywhere, in any season, yet strong enough to say "sexy mystical woman is here." It makes me feel like...myself. :wub2:

in the bottle:

for something so flower heavy, I was expecting something much more heady. This is incredibly tart, like under ripe berries.

on the skin:

I want to like it... I used only a tiny dab to test it and make sure it wouldn't sour on my skin, so perhaps I need to try wearing it for a day.

It's slightly soapy, but not that overwhelming icky rotten floral icky soap-- it's incredibly clean. Still tart, warming slightly. I get the smoke note first, and pimento as the florals and plum blend in geltly.

I want more beez wax-- It would take the tart edge away and brighten the blend.

As it dries and warms on the skin the plum becomes more apparent. The beezwax accents the dark ripe note of the plum. There is a distinct winey grapeyness that I get as it dries even further, probably from the heliotrope. The soapy edge due to the white florals (yangylang and tuberose) have taken a back seat, but their fragrance is still lingering.

It's quite beautiful, but I wouldn't garner it for evil witch. It would need a darker musk and incense note for that I believe. The incense is an after thought-- which since it's incense smoke this makes sense XD

I actually really like this now that it has settled down on my skin.

Bottom line: It you want a deep plum and grapey scent that isn't grape popsicle-- get this. It's a has a little bit of a bitter bite, and is a little bit smokey, just enough to keep it balanced and sophisticated. It has some pretty good throw too. It's the perfect hazy purple-burgundy color. Magnificent!

In the bottle: Strong musk with a very sharp edge.

On the skin: Calms down, the musk is still real prominent but the heliotrope and plum intensify and it gets rounded out. I can definitely smell the ylang ylang as well, it really softens it and makes me think of something like jasmine (only without the jasmine). Its also smoky and incensey - makes me think of Madame Moriarty a little, just like, instead of this being the tarot reader herself, its like the tarot reader's cute little sister who lurks in the doorway.

A very nice scent overall, a little more flowery/feminine than I was expecting but overall quite lovely and complex.

I wish ylang ylang wore well on my skin. The Witch Queen is beautiful, and if ylang ylang bloomed on me, I'd hoard this until the end of time. The plum and red musk and tuberose are gorgeous together, and the lily is well balanced. The beeswax and purple incense smoke give it depth and mystery. This is a deep, plummy, smoldering, sexy scent. I might keep it a bit longer to see if it mellows a little more, because I'm still not ready to quite concede! But if you love ylang ylang and plum, this is your oil.

I'm not very good at pulling apart notes...so this is the best way I can explain it. At first it smells sort of sharp floral. As it dries the musk comes out. It's a pretty scent. It's light but it last all day on me. My skin amps beeswax so I get that, musk and bright florals. It feels like the good witch to mme Moriarty. I don't really smell any incense but I get that purple fruit feeling.

In the bottle: Ooh, this is cool - incensey & mysterious without being too overpowering!
Wet on skin: The incense disappeared really quickly, this is a clear floral (the calla lily & tuberose), with a soft red musk in the background & a little bit of plum. Very different to in the bottle, but very pretty!
Dry on skin: Softer & more blended now. The incense is back, but it's subtle. The red musk, plum & incense are the main notes now with everything else blending nicely into the background.
After a few hours: Even more soft & blended than before. It's hard to describe, but so very pretty!
Verdict: Oh man I love this! I was worried that it might be a bit too intense on me, but it's lovely & very wearable! It definitely suits the character too!

When plum works on me, it is AMAZING. When it doesn't it's plastic. Only one way to find out!

Wet: Mmm. Good so far. Dark fruity floral, which is always a big hit for me.

Dry: I like it a lot. The plum has worked here on me, but is not overpowering. The red musk is just barely present, and overall this is still a dark fruity floral. I will likely have to test against some other dark fruity florals I like before deciding if I need a bottle, but I am tempted, especially since I am obsessed with Neil Gaiman.

I have a very aged imp of Witch Queen, that is a beautiful dark golden red. It's much more department-store perfumey than I care for, but someone who likes kind of a heavy floral, would probably like this. It's not a white floral ... more like a spicy, dark, dusky rose. But still too heavy for me.

Mysterious and heady, Witch Queen is sexy, epic "NOIR", and quite possibly my favorite within the Gaiman collection. This reminds me of walking into a magick shop full of crystals, wind chimes and purple smoke. The drydown is haunting, sultry, and adds a bit of overall mystic to this twilight jewel.
An Oriental fantasy, she is the beautiful Witch who tempts you with sweet smelling berries that after one whiff transport you into velvet lined caves with amethyst caverns.

Perfectly balanced and stunning, the notes swirl together: you are either dancing inside the circle in unison with the Queen, or you are crushed by her spell. This fragrance makes me feel powerful and yet playful, glamorous, witchy and beloved.

Lovely! Softer and more sophisticated than I had imagined. the incense of bien loin d'ici lurks around in here, but is lifted and complimented by spices and plum. If you like Scheherazade,Lampades, morocco, bien loin d'ici and the more spice tinged scents, this one fits right in, but also has a drift of florals not present in the former. It is more sophisticated than any of the former, but carries some of the same notes, and all are merged very well! I am late to the party, but very pleased in my purchase. Lingers for quite a while and releases surprise wafts throughout the day. The red musk is not overpowering at all, but seems to really give it longevity.

Edited by mmcfa2

This is amazing. Much softer and lighter than I had imagined, but in a good way. The red musk is thin and fruity here, melding with the plum and incense to make a mysterious wall of magical incense. The florals (I can particularly pick out tuberose) and beeswax make it very ethereal. Definitely purple-toned. As it dries the beeswax, incense, and musk come out more and the florals fade a bit. This is in incense I feel could be office appropriate in a relaxed setting as the flowers and beeswax keep it from being too heavy and intense.

Smells of incense and cheap soap during the first 30 minutes - but then it becomes this sexy, sweet, juicy plum (thank goodness)! I put it on half an hour before I leave the house to make sure it is past the cheap soap stage, haha. It is full-bodied but stays close to the skin, like a well-behaved black panther or some wild animal.    

Edited by Suspiria

Finally got to try this one! 2 weeks fresh from Lab, in the bottle and wet on skin it smells like what your box of imps smell like, that distinctly BPAL musky, heady floral mix of scents. Drydown similar, but lighter, a pretty slight dusting of powder, floral, and light musk, slightly plummy like Moriarty. Beeswax makes sense, I get a slight honey-like vibe from this. Doesn't last long, but I have dry skin. I'm going to try this on my inner elbow and repost my views in a bit.

Edit. Yep, about the same, maybe more plummy and rich. 

Way way way later next morning, this is a gorgeous sweet floral like Pele. I like this stage the best. 😃

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

If you amp tuberose, but don't like it, fair warning that it is tuberose heavy.

Wet: fresh, bright plum quickly joined by tuberose. As it begins its drydown, I get a fresh, crisp lily playing peekaboo for a few minutes. I love the smell of calla lilies, but I am highly allergic to them. I didn't stop to think I may be allergic to the oil, but I am definitely getting a skin reaction to it. A carrier oil to decrease its presence may be needed if you are likewise sensitive to it.

Drydown: I wish the lily had stayed around, but this is mainly tuberose & it's the kind I love. Buttery smooth and heady. I think the ylang ylang is rounding it out and helping to keep it a sweet and more complex floral, rather than just single note tuberose. 

90 minutes in: it becomes much closer to the skin. It remains largely unchanged, but the fresh plum comes out a little more, along with a very faint incense. There must be musk in this because I am getting a very slight powdery/linen scent that sometimes happens when plum and musk blend on my skin. It's far more fresh than powdery (and I amp powder), so powder haters shouldn't worry too much.

Dry: the end result for me is a soft, banana bubblegummy tuberose skinscent.

I love this type of tuberose scent, and this is definitely beautiful. That being said, I was hoping for more of the lily I had gotten shortly after applying. I was also hoping that the incense would have had more presence. Excellent throw for the first hour or so, then gradually gets closer to the skin. 

3 out of 5 stars for me because I wanted more complexity. 

5 out of 5 stars if you're looking for a good tuberose scent.

P.S. I see some reviews mentioning rose as a note. I amp rose, and I get zero rose scent from this. Rose haters shouldn't fear this one.

Edited by Dancing Raven
Spelling error