Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
gaai

The Gibbous Moon

Moonflower, Madonna lily, orris, white ginger, cucumber, hyacinth, and Irish moss.
First Impression: Hyacinth.

Dries down to: A slightly spicy yet watery floral.

Additional Comments: This is a gorgeous summer blend. With time, it becomes sweeter and softer - absolutely lovely. I do wish it lasted longer, though.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

In the imp: Cucumber hits me first, and light florals follow. It soothes and refreshes!

Wet: The florals become more prominent, with a hint of cucumber underneath.

Dry: It's the same as when wet!!!

The Gibbous Moon came to me as a frimp, so I didn't know what to expect. After reading the reviews, I became excited and anxious to slather some on myself!!! I'm very pleased with the results!!! This scent is a perfect blend of night-blooming blossoms, reminding me of those evenings when Spring turns to Summer - it's exquisite!!! Cucumber has easily become one of my favorite notes!!! I'll enjoy using the rest of my imp, and I hope that I'll be able to get my hands on some more!!!

The Gibbous Moon

HYACINTH!

I :P hyacinths.

After an hour or so, this turned into a fresh green scent, like freshly cut flower stems under running water. What a fantastic foil to The Sportive Sun! This is definitely a late spring/summer scent and I cannot WAIT to wear it again next year. I am smitten.

Edited by MelanieSuzanne

Imp: gag; green forest; herbage

Wet: oh my; it's so strong; so, green!

Drydown: don't think I can't stand to wait that long; must go wash...

Wet on skin: To me, it was a very white floral (which does not suit me so well). To the hubby, it was 'halfway to bug spray'.

Dry on skin: Mellowed out to a nice light floral, with an undertone of the moss. The cucumber was probably there as well, but it wasn't an OMG cuke! *gag* type of thing.

Overall impression: Very nice, and something I'd wear again thanks to the underlying greenery.

I got this as a frimp and oh my goodness, I absolutely love the way how this smells on me. I have searching for a clean, 'cold and haughty' scent that's unique and different from the generic commercial types and I found this! I am in love! It has a strong throw, which is exactly what I am looking for since my skin loves to eat up most scents. Aquatic, floral... is that cucumber I smell? Mmm. :wub2: It smells expensive, without a doubt, but like I said earlier, absolutely different from any commercial perfumes. Something I would gladly wear out to formal events without worrying.

GibbousMoonSS.jpg

From the first sniff, I knew this was going to be a long-time favorite of mine. The cool, cool green of cucumber, combined with the Irish moss and the floral notes (love that hyacinth, love it so much!) which add a welcome bit of sweetness all together make a wonderful nighttime scent, so I was happy to add this LE to my nightly rotation of Lunacies. There is something so soothing about this scent that it's no wonder that cucumber slices are used in spas in everything from water to eye masks. 4 of 5 stars.

In the bottle: floral. On the skin: floral, watery, cucumber. Then, mostly floral. Gibbous Moon is pretty, and I like the cucumber, but overall, it's too floral for me.

Gibbous Moon is in the same vein as Blue Moon but more watery and breezy. Like Sportive Sun, the notes here come together towards the same end of evoking "the innumerable days"--in this case, miles and miles of moonlit ocean stretching towards eternity. For anyone afraid of cucumber *raises hand* it isn't a prominent "cucumber" note at all, just an element of the coolness in this blend.

Top notes - hideous on me, likely it's the hyacinth and moonflower. I feel an averse reaction to hyacinth, my subconscious cautioning against the recollection of some childhood memory better left in the fog of the past. Fine. The opening fanfare is a blast of floral.

Not long after, the orris and white ginger hold hands as they emerge ahead of the heavy florals, making this slightly more tolerable. All the while, the cucumber note just sits there crying a pool of cucumber-scented tears, drenching us all.

It's watery (cucumber), with a translucent, fragrant rootiness (ginger, orris), and heavy florals (hyacinth, moonflower, lily). It morphs fairly quickly and fades fairly quickly, leaving a very light blanket of floral spice and moss.

While it's not one that I would keep in my collection, I sure it is stunning on others.

First sniff: Pale but solid, a cool, clear night-air scent. Very pretty.

Wearing: Crisp cold air, glittering stars. It might snow in a few hours, but for now it’s the absolute crystalline perfection of a clear winter night. And unfortunately it’s just as fleeting; the aura extends no more than half an inch off my skin, and within an hour or two it’s gone completely. Sigh.

Where I never got the cucumber on my skin with Blue Moon 2004 (seeing as this has been compared to it), I definitely get it here!

Until Blue Moon 2012 landed on my doorstep last week, I definitely thought this was going to persist as my replacement for BM '04.

Dewy, white, delicate florals with just a hint of cucumber behind it; it smells pretty much the same in the bottle as on my skin, which doesn't happen often.

Mossy, with white florals and cucumbers in the forefront. Cucumber tends to amp on me, so this gets to be a pretty strong cuke smell with a wafting floral background. A fresh, delicate, and nice scent. A bit soapy, and, to my nose, not super complex, and probably not a "grab a bottle!" but a very solid and pretty scent.

I hunted this one down for the moonflower which I have come to learn via my BPAL obsession is a note that I adore.

Oh, oh, stem-y, lush flowers! Soft, pale purples! I can tell there is moonflower in this, but it's a much less fruity moonflower than usual. I think the aquatic quality of the other notes tempers this quality of the moonflower, and the cucumber just lingers in the background and prevents this from becoming heady florals. The Gibbous Moon is perfect for those who like the ethereal florals that BPAL does so well (which would be me!).

while decanting this, probably a week ago, i spilled a little (horrors!) and tonight i found the yarn i used to sop it up and wondered why it smelled so good.

after a week of chilling on some (acrylic) yarn, it was like honeysuckle and moonflower. maybe a touch of orris, but no moss and no cucumber. 

i always expect white ginger to smell like my college roommate Rebekah's awapuhi shampoo (which smelled good on her, but i hated it on me, and out of the bottle).

overall, a beautiful soft floral but leaning towards being high pitched and likely way too floral for most.

Wet on skin I get the lily, but this one quickly becomes "crisp, clean laundry" scent in a traditional kind of way. The cucumber and aquatic notes take over and it's really not a floral blend at all for me after dry down.  The notes do not morph very much at all and it's very long wearing with medium throw; this would be a good one for someplace where you may anticipate being around hot or grimy people.  I'd caution against going into an office environment or social situation with this one before you have tested it because it may ramp up and those aquatic notes can hit some people hard.