Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Aziraphale

Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide. Two of these were wrong; Heaven is not England, whatever certain poets may have thought, and angels are sexless unless they really want to make an effort.

Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.

Azriaphale is...him. Sophisticated, light, bookish...

While musk and woods seem to pop up in the Asiatic blends a lot, this is not a white musk/bamboo sort of blend. No, these are cold notes. Wet notes. English notes. Or, maybe I'm wrong and they are Heaven's notes by way of England.

This is the sort of blend that I want to wear on a cloudy day to meld with the rain while I fix a cuppa. Or to wear for a haunt in a used book store. And that is exactly what Azriaphale would want, I should think.

In the bottle:

Nice, slightly strong musky scent

On me:

The musky scent turned very rich not as overbearing as some of the more musky scents I wear when I'm going out but nice for everyday wear. I'm a fan of anything that doesn't cause me to sneeze and I can wear all day.

Final note:

I'm a huge fan of this scent and am already contemplating another bottle or two.

Edited by neafaroo

This scent is reminiscent of "Cathedral," but with a bit sweeter, muskier bent. Its intoxicating, haunting. To me, this scent is very church... very Catholic... very priest.... and very good!

Aziraphale is very woody on first sniff, but it is soon sweetened and calmed by the musk. This is a gorgeous scent - light, unique and fittingly angelic in a masculine way. The ineffable dusty Bible accord note is eventually located on a back shelf.

This doesn't have much throw on me - this musk is kind of a skin scent, really. But overall, Aziraphale is fabulous - I can already tell I'll be wearing this frequently.

Hmm. Aziraphale. Smells like straight-up wood and paper on me, in the imp, in the air. That said, 'wood and paper' is a fantastic scent, not industrial at all, but mellowed, old, tea-splattered, bound in rich, heavy tomes and lovingly nestled on satiny oak shelves. I especially loved the note of 'dust', which I have no idea how that works. Bravo on an evocative, gorgeous scent! (though one with very little throw. Aziraphale stays close to the skin, letting his cup of cocoa congeal as he reads. Very gentlemanly.)

4.5 out of 5!

Ooh! New thing! When one layers Aziraphale under something lighter, it acquires a lovely gravitas. Alice goes from sophisticatedly innocent (?) young lady to more of a coy bluestocking. Single notes work well on top, too - just Aziraphale and rosewater kept me going through a book club meeting and a marathon Anime-watching session.

The prominent note is definitely parchment, old books... a hint of wood. It reminds me of "Cathedral" if you've sniffed that (which is appropriate). There's a strong musk, but it's a very light musk, almost wet. Like, if there were an "ocean musk". Actually, the sort of aquatic undertone that I get almost makes up for the lack of tea. As expected, it's a little too masculine for my usual wearing tastes, but I think that if I were in a certain type of mood (studying, going to the library, or heck, going to church!) I'd like it. But what I would REALLY love is to get this smell on a boy.

It's almost exactly what I was hoping for in this smell, with the caveat that I would have preferred something floral or sweet to round it out. A hint of vanilla, maybe. But overall, I really like it.

Oh! And for the curious (because I know I was), there IS separate art for each bottle (at least, there is for Aziraphale and Crowley).

Whew, very much Cathedral-esque, but with a touch of masculinity - in other words, not just the church.

I'm not a fan of the dusky wood scents and I was definitely hoping for a more musky scent from this, but on me it's ALLLL dusky woods and old paper.

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. I can kinda see the Cathedral comparisons, but Aziraphale is much lighter and somehow more about pages than pews.

The musk is very gentle and I swear I can smell the dusty Bible accord. If you had asked me yesterday what that smelled like I wouldn't have had a clue. But now that I smell it, it's like I always knew exactly how a good dusty Bible smelled. :P

Aziraphale stays very close to the skin, but it will be perfect for unfussy days in bookshops.

Aziraphael and Crowley are very similar scents, which I think makes sense... They are two sides of the same coin. Aziraphael is a bit softer, more tranquil and subdued.

Upon opening the bottle, it really does smell like musty, old books and spice. I have to admit I giggled with excitement when the scent first hit my nose and dashed off to try to force my hubby to smell it (I bought both Crowley/Aziraphael since they're our nicknames for each other).

I don't really smell that much of a difference between Crowley and Aziraphael when it's on my skin, though they cite different ingredients. Aziraphael is a bit more mellow as opposed to Crowley, but it still has a sweet, spicey undertone. Maybe a bit sunnier without such a lemony kick. It's sort of like Crowley Light.

In the bottle: Dusty cedar

Wet on skin: Ooh? Musk, very light and cologney. Wood slightly peeks through, but generally it smells fresh and ethereal.

Drydown: cedar slipping through very light musk. This musk is soft, like none I've ever smelled before. It has a definite papery quality, actually I don't smell it but I can taste it - it makes my tongue and throat dry. Or perhaps there's frankincense in there that's playing with my allergies? Yep, it's a definite possibility and it would go with the "old Bible" concept. It settles down with the cedar lifting and the parchment note becoming more prominent and leathery.

Overall: A gentle, civilised but rich musk with soft sweet cedar and incensy old parchments, complete with hints of leather from the binding. This is one of these perfect librarian scents, that works very well for Aziraphale. The books are there, and his kind nature is represented by the warm light musk that I really like a lot (for once). Not something I'd wear, probably, but comforting and lovely.

I smell books and wood in Aziraphale. On first application, the woods are most apparent and they have an almost John Dee sort of scent to them, but this dries down to a really gentle scent, not sweet, but not tart or overly masculine either. The books/parchment and musk appear after 15 minutes or so mellowing the woods and making them lighter and more ethereal.

A lovely evocation of Aziraphale; the bibleophile, slightly slipped (rather than fallen) angel.

In the bottle: Musty and a bit woody.

Wet: Sandalwoody with something sharp, possibly cedar to my uneducated nose, behind it.

Later: Very faint sandalwood with a sharp background. Would be nice if I could smell it further away than having my nose pressed on my wrist. Not a swapper yet - I'll give it a go another day; I guess I like stuff with a longer throw.

Sort of a 6/10.

In bottle: Dusty Bible accord is right. This smells like a long-untended used-bookstore shelf.

On me: The woods come out. This is an old book on a fresh-hewn table. Mmmm.

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: This was more for my husband's amusement than me expecting to be able to wear it. I only hope ethereal musk is a light musk, otherwise it will eat the other notes for breakfast.

In the Bottle: Very, very woodsy. Light and golden woodsy.

Wet: There comes the musk, but it balances nicely with the woody notes.

Drydown: It stays very light on me, with the musk keeping it from turning into a lumberyard full of sawdust.

Verdict: I'm not sure that I would wear it, but I'm curious to see what it does on my husband.

straight sniff from imp is musky cedarwood and indeed dusty...

once applied the musk and wood are fantastic together...they

compliment each other divinely and i am really loving this blend to pieces :P

This is a lovely blend of woods that has a slight hint of dustiness. I don't get a lot of musk on my skin, only a little bit which lends to the clean and smooth feeling of this blend. I find this one really similar to Dee on my skin (it feels a shade lighter than Dee, to me)- very sophisticated and perfect for curling up with a book. However, this blend is really strong on me and I applied too much at first, which gave me a bit of a headache, so be careful!

All in all I am really enjoying this blend, it's very relaxing yet sophisticated at the same time. Lovers of woody and unisex scents should definitely give this one a go.

I just put this one on, from a decant I got from a decant group on the Lush forums.. I can smell the cedar, but it isn't a dry cedar to me. I can't pick out the rest of the notes, but the image I get is sitting in an old library with a cup of tea, a nearby window open to an autumn rain. After a while, maybe half an hour, I get a creamier, sweeter impression, but it doesn't get sweeter or creamier, if that makes sense. It is a scent that is close to the skin, and it doesn't smell like perfume on me, it smells like I have been in a library and in the rain, lol I absolutely love it, and I ordered a bottle with my Singing Moon order. :P Oh, and with a bottle of Crowley, which I also love--having read the books, I thought I shouldn't get one without the other :D.

Aziriphale - This scent reminds me a lot of Tombstone, just not quite as sweet. I'm surprised that there aren't any woods listed in this blend, unless the "Bible accord" is made of wood (specifically cedar wood, since this smells like vanilla-doused pencil shavings on me). I think people who like Tombstone may like this one. As it is, on me, it's just too dusty and woody for my taste, although the vanilla definitely adds a sweet, creamy touch that's nice. The throw is moderate and staying power is quite long.

It was reminding me of Cathedral/Aureus right at first, but as it's drying it's getting a bit muskier. It's still in that vein, though. The wood notes seem lighter in this one than in those. It really makes me think of the scent of the church pews in the old church I went to when I was a kid. That's a nice association, and I like this scent. It seems fitting that Aziraphale should smell like church to me.

My husband is a huge fan of Tombstone, and I'm going to let him try this one. I bet he'll like it. The wood in it smells similar.

I had high hopes for this blend because the scent description sounded well suited to my tastes, in terms of both the concept/character and listed notes. I really wish I was getting the woods/resin or light papery woods/cologne-type impressions the other reviews seem to detail, but there's something in this blend that makes it distinctly disagreeable once the oil hits my skin. A musk, or possibly a rampant resin I can't identify, takes over and sort of becomes buttery and perfumy with no woodsy and/or any of the expected anchoring notes in sight. :P

Overall Rating: 4.5/10. That overwhelming musk note is rather unpleasant with a touch of an aquatic-like nature to it (and not like any light musk I've encountered previously, light musks are usually agreeable sorts to my skin chemistry). However, underneath it lies a very faint soft wood-type note with a hint of sweetness that only becomes visible long after drydown. The problem is, this redeeming factor only shows up when the scent is almost gone entirely from the skin.

This is so disappointing because I am a fan of light gentlemanly masculine scents. :D I will age the bottle in the futile hope that Aziraphale will develop into a more wearable scent over time. Luckily, I did buy Crowley as well and we are much better suited to eachother in terms of scent.

Court

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

Aziraphale is delightful!

Wet: Quite woody and papery-dusty (the bible accord).

Dry: Oh, yes, now a light muskiness joins the woods/papery scent and sweetens the whole thing. It is warm, dry and sweet--but not foody, by any means. I really like this one, and I think it fits the character perfectly.

As the previous reviewer has mentioned, if you are looking for a masculine scent, this isn't neessarily it. To me it's unisex and would smell great on a man, woman, or angel.

I didn't go ga-ga over the description of this one and got it sort of by accident as I signed up for a decant circle...boy am I glad I did. This is a nice blend...veeeeery nice indeed. Very musky almost citrus but not quite. Clean and veering toward woods even a bit cedar-like but not wholly masculine. Anyone could wear it. It is unique and if it reminds me of anything at all, I might be tempted to say Buck Moon but I don't think I am accurate. However the high crystalline quality of it makes me say it is a keeper.

This one is a bit on the masculine side for me. It has a sophisticated air about it. It's light and almost crisp. The woods in this are the best part, and on my skin they are the most prominent part of the blend. They remind me of the woods in Red Queen. The musk and the dusty/book smell complement the woods quite well. Average wear length and throw.

Whew, my first review!

In the bottle: At first sniff, I get a very bitter and dusty scent... very dry and sharp. I don't sense a touch of sweetness at all.

Wet on skin: The scent is very bitter, with very strong wood notes. It smells a bit like cedar, just not as sweet. I think it's the musks slightly sweetening up the wood notes. It's very strong on me, and overpowering.

After drying: The wood has softened, but it’s still the strongest note in the blend. The dustiness lends a powdery dry note to it, and the musk softens and sweetens the wood notes just slightly. It's very strong, but has softened and sweetended quite a bit since I first applied it over an hour ago. Overall, I find this to be a very unisex scent leaning towards masculine.

Overall impressions: This scent reminds me of wood shavings that you find in pet stores. It's interesting but not something I would wear.

Edited by Delirium1009