Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Crowley

Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

This reminds me of another BPAL, but I'm not sure what, because it one of those blends to which I say, OH THAT'S NICE... FOR A MAN and never look at again.

Red patchouli and musk are not a blend I would think'd smell good on me, but this is nice! Masculine, yes, but the vanilla gives it a roundness that would make it passable. It's still too masculine for my tastes, too cologne-y, but it's not as ruff-ruff as I thought it would be. Pretty sexy, I wish I could pull it off.

And musk usually does not work on me, but whatever's in this one does, so there's that, too. Edited by karen

Oh.... Crowley!

This is definitely the scent that didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards!

In the bottle: sweet, vanilla-y, musky, spiciness

Oh: Well, I can't wear it, but on my hubbie... ye gods and little fishes! It's sex. Inna bottle.

It's the scent that slithers and sidles up to you and makes indecent proposals. It's spicy and slightly sweet and a little bit of warm leather.. .

Okay, so my review isn't the best, but that's because my head's still spinning :P

Yes, I took a chance on a full bottle with patchouli in it. I was tempted by War too. I figured this might be okay as there was so much else in it and how could I really turn down a scent named for Crowley the demon from _Good Omens_? So how does it smell? Intriguing in the bottle and pleasantly complex. Initial application puts the leather, oakmoss, and vanilla on top. The lilac and the lemon give it a little sting, but it's neither fruity nor floral, though they are present, they come off as intriguing rather than prissy. The patchouli isn't a problem at all, being a good support to the musk without standing out enough to make me notice it unless I'm paying attention. It is definitely masculine, with a dangerous edge to it. I am finding this one painfully sexy too, though the scent ghost suggests someone who's personality you want to explore thoroughly before taking him home, I think the exploration would be fun. OMG!! This is yummy.

bottle: musk and leather. this smells quite manly.

wet: wow! there's a woodsy note along with some patchouli and that initial scent of musky leather. this is so... suggestive... :P

dry: a woody, leathery patchouli. this is one of my husband's bottles and it suits him quite well.

Very masculine. I get a bit of patchouli and lots of leather. Not much musk on me or my man. I can see the appeal of this scent but I prefer to put Gobin or Snake Oil on my husband. :P

In the imp: Uber-masculine. Yeesh. I didn't have high hopes for this one. In fact, I cringed a bit applying it.

Wet: Pretty much the same, and it stayed that way til it dried. And then. . .

Oh. My. God. This is WONDERFUL. :D Must have mooore.

Note to self: Never assume! Really should know better by now :P

Sex in a bottle. I would let Crowley do nasty, twisted, debaucherous things to me. And I'd let him think it was all his idea. :P

bright red in the imp, this blend is strong and warm and sexy when i apply it to my skin. i smell a mixture of heady red musk, patchouli, and leather. not picking up the vanilla or lemon, which is odd since my chemistry usually amps them. there’s a touch of cologne but i wouldn’t describe this as a “men’s cologne” scent. it’s nice on either sex, actually. i get hints of oakmoss and mahogany but they never really come out to play. sexy, fun, and evil all at the same time :P

This is from my notes on the first time I tried Crowley:

This smells like a hot guy who's kind of wicked, but you really want to hang around him. Or, in my case, jump him. Dark and musky and patchoulistic, with wood and a little spiciness going on. I like it. Mmmmmmm, I really like it. But mostly I want to smell it on some guy I'm making out with. Is that so wrong? The lemon rind starts to flirt a little after a while. This scent gives me really improper thoughts.

----------------------------

And then, some time later, I got to try it out on my new boy* and it's even better than I could have hoped. Mmmmm......in the immortal words of Jayne Cobb, "I'll be in my bunk."

*who not only lets me put BPAL on him, but voluntarily puts it on himself :P

This is one of a few blends that I've definitely noticed smell different on me depending on what time of the month it is. I've tried it three times now, with several days between each application. The first time, it smelled like a close relative of Carceri d'Invenzione -- a light warm wood scent. The second time, I amped the leather like crazy, and it smelled a lot like Dee (as various other people noticed). Today, I got, first: hot, almost furry red musk and patchouli; then, hello, there's the vanilla front and center with the leather peeking out from behind it; then, a subtle warm patchouli/wood/vanilla drydown. The lilac cologne and lemon notes are nowhere to be found on my skin, but I am picking them up on the sleeves of my shirt. Weirdness! I'm going to have to keep trying this one on different days and see when it works best.

Wow, Crowley is a shape-shifter -- a demonic shape-shifter. :P

Yum, Crowley is sexy man on me, but not too masculine. I like the way it smells, on me, like a feminine cologne. It is not so cologny, though, that it makes me feel manly. The musk is very red, which I like, and the other "cologne" components, lemon peel, lilac are well blended enough that they are difficult to pick out individually. There's just enough of a green smell, patchouli?, that it smells a bit earthy, but a red earthy, not a brown earthy, if that makes sense, with the tiniest hint of vanilla, but only if you're sniffing for it, like a shadow of the vanilla in Snake Oil.

It is definitely the Crowley of Good Omens. He is hot leather and a tiny bit of unexpected sweetness.

I was deeply, deeply surprised when I tried this scent on. As a Crowley fangirl, I went halves on this with NatCatz, determined to try it on my boyf. It was rather nice on him, quite his kind of scent, but it didn't have the sexiness that I'd expected, much more elegant. I still like it on him, but it fades quite quickly, and he prefers Vampire Tears anyway.

So then, one day, as a bit of an experiment, I tried it on me.

WOWEEEE! In the bottle it's a lovely spicy creamy scent, not hugely masculine to me.

I balked at ordering it for me based on the ingredients, but what really dominates with me is a vanilla/creamy/sweet 'n' spicy mix. It makes me feel sexy and devilish, mischievous and confident. Oh my god, so much a keeper you wouldn't believe. I'm wearing it more often than any other scent - my BPAL rotation has become Crowley - something else - Crowley, where before it was a different scent every day. It fades by about halfway through the day, and the reapplication is never quite as satisfactory...but as it fades it loses some of the spiciness and becomes yummy subtle vanilla goodness (not brash vanilla at all, just lovely).

As NatCatz pointed out, like Aziraphale, it smells totally different on me compared to how it does on her (or the boyf). I really shy away from 'masculine' or 'sexy' scents because my natural tendency is towards sweet things/florals, but this pretty much incapsulates the kind of scent I'd like to be able to wear...and suddenly I can!

This seems like a very subjective scent, as people genuinely don't recognise it when I wear it, but now I just have to restrain myself from treating myself to a Lady of Shalott/Crowley 5ml order for my 21st birthday.

Edit: (as if I haven't squeed about this enough) The lady at the chip shop asked me what perfume I was wearing and said it was lovely. This was weird as she was standing a good three feet away from me in a shop filled with chip-smell, and it wasn't really hugely noticeable to my friends, so...guess it has a pretty impressive throw after all.

Edited by Magpie

Boooo :P methinks that Infernal Musk is actually red musk in disguise and if there is one thing my skin hates, it is red musk.

Yes, this blend has that stomach-lurching quality I associate with red musk. It's a shame, too, because I smell something kind of nice trying to peek out from under the cloyingly sweet "English Leather"-like scent. I haven't tried Dee yet, but Crowley reminds me of Loviatar and Coyote (and "English Leather" by Dana), so if you like those, you will probably like this. Very sweet brown leather man-cologne. Not my thing.

in the bottle RED MUSK OMG!!!

wet on skin the patchouli and lilac come out to offset the RED MUSK OMG!!! and there's something just a little spicy here. i'm not sure what that would be.

dry on skin dry, it becomes much drier, a sweeter, more masculine version of mme. moriarty: musky, dark, and incredibly sweet. i'm even getting a tiny, tiny whiff of vanilla bean. uh, yeah, i pretty much love this like crazy. must have bottle.

This is all man. Sexy, naughty man. Since I'm a single gal, this doesn't do me a whole lotta good except to leave me longing for something I don't have.

Crowley is nothing if not sexy. It's manly and yum. The lilac dominates for me for a while, but the leather amps once it warms up on my skin, and that mahogony note just adds a smothness to the blend. Not really getting much of the oakmoss or vanilla, but I am thinking these are all playing towards the warm smoothness that is here. Ah, just had another sniff and I can smell the vanilla peeking out, just barely. If that lilac got out of the way, I'd dare say this would be near perfect.

As for red muskiness, usually this amps like crazy on me, but it's pretty tame here on my skin. I'm thinking because there's not really too many sweet elements here that the musk is behaving itself for a change.

Mad Girl described this as "Smut goes to a leather bar" -- oh gods yes. It is a hot, smouldering, SEXY scent. I get a lot of the red musk and patchouli, and the rest of the notes are peeking out from behind those two. It's naughty and sexy and I can't believe I haven't worn this before. I have to buy a bottle, SOON. Until then, I'm going to be tempted to use up my decant far too quickly...

Spicy and smoky and rich, oh yes. On initial application, mostly musk and maybe it's the red patchouli drowning out the other notes. But happily,they all settle down to play nicely. Perhaps a bit more masculine than feminine, but so warming. Still waiting for a hint of the lilac and no sign so far of the lemon rind as distinct notes, but I think I can sense them in the blend. Very nice indeed.

Crowley - what every man hopes is inside, waiting to burst onto the scene as a smokin' hot, predatory fiend.

Bottle: I smell the sweet musks over the top of the bottle, with maybe a tiny teaser of something like leather or smoke underneath. It smells promising... wet on the skin, this is blooming rapidly with sweet musks, and the thwap of black leather against a table (you'll lean up against there when I say you do.)... it's almost like Loviatar but sweeter, more of a darker musk, sugary musk, than in that blend. I think the spot that I dabbed Crowley onto my hand has now dominated the rest of my other hand, it's made it its sub! Like rawr!

Spicy, but sweet musks accentuated with the kiss of leather, but just enough... sweetness from a hint, a dab of vanilla. Mostly this is an amazingly feral, animalistic, grab you and goooooo scent. Holy carp.

Wear this if you're feeling frisky.

wow, this is very sexy, indeed! i LOVE it on me, but i want to smell it on a man, asap :P . it reminds me of other bpal musky-leather scents, all of which i love! the lilac and lemon are more prominent in the beginning, but once it dries, i am getting mostly musk, red patchouli and leather with a grounding vanilla in the background. i may have to get a bottle of this one.

Crowley for me is Snake Oil (unaged) without the vanilla or a slightly sweeter version of Midnight Kiss in a GC scent!

I guess I can see how people think of it as a man's scent, but I'm a married woman and my hubby loves it on me. Its sexy, seductive, and for me it creates a whirlpool to fall into- my nose can't get bored with it!

The patchouli is a middle note, musk is front and first, I have no idea where the lilac cologne or lemon rind is, and the vanilla is all husk and no ice cream so to speak. Masterful, purely masterful.

I got a chance to try this yesterday.

Wet on me, it smelled like a very expensive men's scent with lilac as the most identifiable note. Everything else in the scent was just backing up the lilac and emphasising that it was an EXPENSIVE scent.

Dry on me, the wood and leather became much more apparent. Expensive rich smelling wood and leather. I have tested other leather scents before and this one was definitely buttery leather of the sort that you always touch, because you can't help it, and always leave behind in the store, because you know you can't afford it without even looking at the price.

The lilac faded away, and the dominant notes became the wood and leather. This one really makes me wish my guy were into wearing scents at all. *sigh* Of course if he did wear this, I'd have to beat the girls off of him with a stick, so maybe it is just as well.

I really didn't think I'd like this at all, but had to try it...because, duh, it's Crowley.

In the vial, it was all spicy, musky, sweetness. It's not in the notes, but I swear I smell wine. On, everything sticks around and leather shows up. This really reminds me of Midnight Kiss. The throw is huge and it stays forever (I can still detect it and I applied it about six hours ago). Towards the end, it goes a little powdery, but it's a short phase. There is no way that this scent should have ever worked on me - with the dark musk, patchouli, leather, non foody vanilla...but this is great! :P Tomorrow I'm going to try it in a locket or my hair.

Yeah, as if I had any ideas that Crowley would not be sexy? Musk, spice, and everything nice. Oh baby, I'd love this on my boyfriend, as much as I love it on myself. Anytime I really feel like letting loose and being musky this is what I turn to - and it's never failed, especially as it's aged since I bought my bottle.

If you like dark, sexy scents - try this, you won't be failed in the least.

Got a sniffie of this!

In the imp/wet: Dog shampoo? WTF?

Drying/drydown: Leathery, cinnamony sex.

This is a gorgeous, gorgeous, SEXY scent, but way too masculine for me to wear. Beautiful though.