Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Red Moon 2007

... Our blend for this Moon mixes traditional lunar oils with the warmth of amber, red musk, and heliotrope, the russet haze of dragon's blood resin, sunflower, and crushed orange peel, with a dusting of summertime herbs: chamomile, rue, elder flower and marigold.

Ok, so...when first applied this smells a bit like Dana O'Shee + oranges: sweet, custard-y citrus-y incense. Almost too rich for a few moments. When it dries it lightens up a bit - not so much oranges anymore as orange blossoms, a light musky floral sweetness, and a bit powdery as well. Very faint. Probably won't last the day. Definitely not at all what I thought it would be, but still very pretty while it lasts.

The original Red Moon comes as close to being the perfect perfume as I have ever encountered. This is all red musk all the time. I can't even smell the other notes. Unfortunately, red musk often makes me smell as though I died two weeks ago. I'm sorry -- this is just disgusting, and I think my heart is broken.

Very very pretty in the bottle, and i didn't mind it on me, thought it wasn't my favorite....but it reminded me vaguely of something I couldn't place....

and then I placed it and it was a deal breaker for me--it smells like dog shampoo on me. Probably because whatever shampoo we used had some natural essences in it to drive fleas away, but I felt like I took a flea bath. My niece confirmed that, yes, I smelled like Archie. Sigh. It seemed so promising, lovely, warm and deep, but oh well..

Red Moon has the same subtle lunar oils as Crow Moon, which I'm finding make me mildly headachy. Otherwise, it's a nice summery scent. The lunar oils, though, make it chillier than I would expect - a summer night as opposed to a summer day. I think this would be the perfect scent to wear for Lammas/Lughnasadh.

Red Moon is my first Lunacy right from the lab so I held my breath and hoped..

First of all, 18 days from order to UK receipt, way to go, labbies :D

In the bottle this smells slightly musky and warm how a scent can smell warm, I don't know, apart from Beth is a genius!

This is such a well blended oil that it's hard to pick out any definite notes. I get a real summer's day feel from this along with a slight spice on application. The red musk plays nicely with everyone and doesn't amp at all.

As it dries the amber surfaces along with some floral (although I'm not sure what heliotrope or sunflower actually smell like) and a soft dusting of Dragon's Blood. This didn't change much on wear but rather softened into muted notes of the same.

It is quite, quite lovely :P

I'm so glad I took a chance on this one!

Edited by sedona

Red Moon (2007) – I positively love every single note in this blend (with the possible exceptions of rue and elder flower since I don’t know what they smell like), so I had high hopes for this blend. This is a scent that is almost gorgeous, but not quite. Something is slightly “off” about it, and I can’t put my finger on it for the life of me. It’s kind of like when you sniff your milk to see if it’s sour or not and you just can’t tell. It may have gone bad, but it may still be perfectly fine, it’s just too fine of a line to tell. That’s how this scent is on me. The dragon’s blood, heliotrope, and red musk are the dominant notes right off the bat, and while I can’t be certain of it, the dragon’s blood and heliotrope may be what aren’t blending so well on my skin. Or maybe it’s the addition of the orange peel. It’s just so hard to say. It doesn’t smell right on me, yet I can’t stop smelling it because it's sooo close to being gorgeous! I think this is one that may start to smell a little better on my skin as it ages a tad, so I’m going to hang on to my bottle and try it again in a month or two and see if I have a less confusing experience with it at that point. The staying power and throw are both about average.

ETA: I did let this sit for 3 months and tried it again -- still, same reaction. It's almost gorgeous, but not quite. It's still kind of weird on me. I'm going to keep letting it age and see if it gets better and if not, maybe try it as a room scent.

Edited by edenssixthday

In the Bottle: Sharp orange and herbs.

Initial Wet: Spicy dragon's blood and herbs. Not the heavy scent I was expecting, rather much more like a light, warm breeze. There's something vaguely floral, perhaps sunflower, but I never noticed that sunflowers had any particular scent before.

Initial Dry: Ah, there's the red musk and amber, giving it that weight that I like. There's the orange peel too, not sweet as I'd feared, just that almost-bitter orange tinge that doesn't push the blend into the fruity range.

Drier Dry: The herbs come out a bit more, enough to be recognized but not enough to take over the blend. It's like resins brushed through a dry summer field. As it dries down even more, the amber definitely comes out to play and the herbs recede a little. I definitely love the amber over the dragon's blood.

Overall, I like this one, and I think it'll grow on me the more I wear it. It's not my usually foody-woodsy scent, but I like the mix. I was afraid the herbs would go bad on me, I've found that chamomile usually does, and I'm glad they remain a dusting. I think I've found a nice resin blend that won't be too heavy in the summer heat.

Edited by kraken

Red Moon 07

In the bottle: mmm, red musk with citrus and heliotrope!

Wet on skin: red musk and orange! I also smell the floral/herbal notes.

Dry on skin: oh yeah, this is good. This reminds me of things like Spellbound and Hollywood Babylon which I love, red musk and amber really showing off in here. Damn, I love red musk, and amber, and both mixed together. I can hardly smell the dragon's blood but the orange is lovely and tangy, and the heliotrope is gorgeous, a soft and powdery vanilla-fruity floral which is really prominent here like it was in the previous Red Moon. But in here it's not dragon's blood that dominates, but wonderful red musk. I also smell hints of the other florals, and the sunflower note is very much like the one in the Salon scent, Sunflower, which I love.

After a while: the orange is gradually fading but the glorious red musk-amber is still ruling this scent, a heady, warm, languid scent which brings to mind a vivid red-orange sunset (or moonrise) at the end of a sweltering summer's day. I love the smoothness of this scent, it smells almost luxurious. The heliotrope is fantastic in here, boosted by the musk and the sunflower. The dragon's blood is just right in here-not too much to take over but enough to add that extra hint of red to the musk. Now it reminds me of Blood Lotus with heliotrope replacing the lotus, but with the same dragon's bloody musk. After a while I get a note of dry grass and hay and sunflower seeds coming out of the musky red haze, which enhances the 'late summer' feel this scent has. I get more of the herbs, with the golden scent of camomile in the lead. I don't know why but I also smell mimosa at this point.

Verdict: I loved Red Moon 04, but this version blows it out of the water with a huge blast of red musk, baby! At first it is a truly glorious combination of orange, red musk, amber and heliotrope, warm and sexy and rich, sweet and warm and glowing. The red musk was fabulous and smelt as rich and full bodied as usual, and also added more oomph to the heliotrope which is usually a faint note. the amber was wonderfully round and sweet as ever. There was just the perfect amount of dragon's blood-enough to add a little more redness, but not enough to amp up and make it smell like crayons (which is what many DB-heavy scents have been doing of late). The drydown has an interesting grainy-seedy scent to it, like a harvested field with sunflowers and grasses and camomile, but is not as rich and smouldering and red as before. Nevertheless, I love this scent a great deal and am glad that I have two bottles! This is a perfect scent to evoke those lazy, hazy, late summer evenings.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? hell yeah!

If you like this, try: Spellbound, Hollywood Babylon, Eclipse, Blood Amber, Dragon's Reverie, Sunflower, Blood Lotus

I'm getting mainly an orange scent with some herbs when it's wet, which is quite disappointing because I was hoping for red musk, heliotrope, and dragon's blood. Oh no... wait... yeah it's becoming muskier. Ah, yes, this is much better.

I didn't think I'd be able to smell sunflower in this, but I do. It smells rich and warm with the red musk. Wow, this is a lot different when it's dry than it was when it was wet. Really lovely. The herbs give it a touch of dryness, I think, and it suits the scent very well. This isn't nearly as strong on me as most red musk blends are -- that note is usually loud and long-lasting on me (which is fine with me because I like it a lot). This one is subtle.

I like it!

My skin chemistry has really been murdering scents lately, with all of the florals and ambers that have been popping up. I was actually hoping that Red Moon might be something like the sultry, dry warmth of Chrysanthemum Moon. I'm even pretty fond of BPAL's red musk notes. This Red Moon isn't at all sultry on me though, it's more of a dry, powdery orange candy with some dry herbs popping out in the drydown. Over time the orange is less sweet and more sharp on my skin, backed up by dusty amber and powdery heliotrope. Every once in a while I catch a whiff of something that I like, but it disappears quickly, as though it's just toying with me. *glares at wrist*

Red Moon is too much sharp orange on me and too much powdery, dusty, dry herbs (and I really like chamomile and generally like marigold, so I don't know what's not appealing to me). I'm slightly devastated that the red musk isn't very strong on my skin. This is more dry than warm on my skin.

Wet, I could definitely smell the orange. It also had a weird Vaseline-y smell which is what red musk tends to smell like on me wet. :P

Dry, I mostly got red musk - there's some herby floral-ness, and I think a hint of dragon's blood, but it's definitely not overwhelming.

This is a really lovely blend - it all comes together into something warm and sort of spicy though not any identifiable spices, if that makes any sense. It works for a red moon on a warm August night. (Is it August's moon? I can't even remember now!)

That being said, it's not really my kind of scent and I don't think I'd wear it, so it's off to the swaps, but I'm glad I got to try it because it is beautifully blended.

I've got a cold at the moment, so this review may very well change in a week or so when my sinuses are back to normal and so is my sense of smell. :P

But to me, this is like a softer, more muted version of Lush's Karma. :D As soon as I applied it, it hit me.. even with my blocked-up nose, the resemblance was uncanny! Whereas Karma is strong and in-your-face, with the pine, elemi and orange, this is smooth and subtle.

8/10 :D

straight sniff from imp, red musk dominates with scrumptious orangey amber :P

once applied this gets super soapy but immediately turns almost green and herbally...

turns slightly headshoppy and incensey...adore it!

superbly blended; this is a gorgeous scent...i need a big bottle of this :D

Red Moon is gorgeous! I do love the old Red Moon, but I like this new version better. It has a gilded golden red feel to it, and the amber/red musk combo is to die for!

The thing I like the most about this blend is that it has a very definite touch of Autumn in there. It's that late summer/early autumn scent that tends to make me long for autumn, and Red Moon does just that.

In the bottle: This smells delicious. A little fruity, a little spicy, with some flowers in the background to prevent it going over-sweet or over-foody.

On the wrist: On the wrist the flowers come through strongly, backed with a little fruit and spice, with a strongly musky afterscent. After a few moments the flowers have stopped being quite so exuberant; now it's the sharpness of lightly spiced orange peel that predominates, backed by a spray of flowers and herbs, the whole just a little musky.

One hour later: This is a lazy late summer day under the hot sun. The musk (dragon's blood?) predominates now, hazing over the spicy orange and herbs and flowers. Really rather nice, but a little too musky for me.

In bottle: Slightly foody on top of florals with some musk.

On me: Ooh, I like! Getting a *lot* of dragon's blood. This is a very warm scent, medium musk. Slightly herbal, and thank god the orange peel is staying relatively quiet.

The first thing I noticed when wet was the orange punching me in the nose. Wow. The fight didn't last too long because the orange quickly backed down and let the red musk take over. The scent warmed upon drying and turned from the screaming citrus into the blanket of warm musk and amber. The final result was a powdery scent that was somewhat faint but calm and warm in the background. Great when I want something understated but pleasant but I have to keep moving my wrist around to find it now even after two applications

In the bottle: Warm, orangey and faintly floral. Very nice.

Wet: The orange warms up, with a background spiciness. Nice and warm.

Later: Now the amber comes out to play. Gorgeous, slightly spicy, slightly fruity, and very well blended; 8/10.

In bottle: WAAAAARM. Oh, it smells like the description—layers on layers of summery grasses and things.

On, wet: Mostly green things, with flowers behind them. I can possibly pick out the orange peel, but everything else is a top-of-the-scent crush of nose-tickling and warmth. It smells rather like being out in a sunny meadow in August, after a good long, sticky hike up a foresty mountain.

Drying: two levels—one that makes me think of summer lake-water (the heliotrope? I think it’s a familiar scent), and still the warm layer of herbs. I can detect a hint of that clear, bell-like amber note, as well. It’s beginning to shape into a scent, but I’m not sure what I think of it as a whole, yet.

More drying: The amber comes through clearer and clearer (mmm, amber), with herbs, heliotrope, and crushed orange mashing together over the top of it. A first-hint-of-autumn-breeze over the top of a hazy summer scent, at the moment.

Verdict: Pretty! A kind of cool, iced tea-at-the-pool scent, amber and well-blended flowers and herbs. It makes me a little sneezy, and isn’t quite my style, but this is definitely something I’d wear when I want to feel relaxed and confident.

Wow! This is blend is very very strong on me. The sweet orange is strong and bold, tempered slightly by chamomile and hints of spice. It's a very relaxing late summer blend, but I find that if I put too much on I get a bit of a headache :P Anyhow, it's still gorgeous, and I plan on wearing it (little drops of it at least!) as I sit outside on summer evenings. Absolutely lovely.

At first sniff, this is very much like a lighter, slightly more floral Blood Moon, which makes sense given the seasonal associations -- Blood Moon is darker, richer, more what would be considered a fall scent, while Red Moon is a warmer, sunnier (if that description makes sense for a Lunacy scent!) version of the same concept.

There's a definite floral/herbal side to it, which is very much evocative of warm summer nights. And it does seem to fall into that relative small category of "Lunacies that actually work on me." Definitely hanging onto my decant. But I don't know that I'll try to track down a bottle, just because of the similarity to Blood Moon, which I already do have a bottle of, and which is on the whole more my kind of scent. But I wouldn't say no if one happened to wander along...

Grade: B+

In the imp: lots of dragon's blood over sweet warm... redness, I guess. florals and musks.

On me, wet: red musk and dragon's blood and a herbal, slightly soapy smell.

On me, dry: mmm red musk. There's not much else to this now - a tinge of amber, a breath of dark red florals, a hint of juicy sweet fruits. But mostly red musk.

Verdict: This is very nice indeed. It's fainter than other red-musk-heavy scents I own, though, so I won't be hunting for more.

Edited by storme

Damnit! Why did everything in this update (that I got decants for!) love me so much?! Initially, this is all amber, dragon's blood, heliotrope and orange for me. As it dries, it spices up, and the red musk comes out to play (I think red musk is my favorite musk so far). It's very warm -- but as someone mentioned, it's not daytime warm. It's a late summer evening-warm. It's beautiful and sweet, but not overly so; it's musky, but not enough to smell like B.O. And it seems like, on me, it's more of a skin scent, as it doesn't broadcast itself to me and the room while wearing it -- something to encourage others to get close to :P

I got this scent from the Lab aaaages ago and haven't tried it yet -- today seems like an appropriate time, it being Red Moon and all.

Wet on me: The dragon's blood is not too strong; I can smell a little tang of something that reminds me of black currant. Red musk is noticeable, unfortunately (I've discovered in the weeks since I've purchased this that I really dislike red musk, and also that it lingers on my skin. :D )

After five minutes: A slightly bitter, soapy scent. It tickles my nose.

Drydown: Still nose-tickling; sweet heliotrope and dusty orange peel and slightly sneezy herbs. This is not very strong on me.

I'll have to wait and see what this one does in the next few hours. Right now it's just so-so on me.

ETA: Haha, yes!! After 30-40 minutes this becomes a wonderful soft, smooth blend of amber and dragon's blood. The red musk is so far sweetened by the amber and dragon's blood and thus is, for once, wearable. I'm glad I don't have to swap this after all! :P

Edited by Shollin