Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs.Black

The Sephiroth and Qlipoth blends - Recs and Discussion

The whole evil thing and the fact that there are no notes listed scared me at first but now I think I'm ready to venture into the realm of the Qliphoth. But being, as I am, anti-imp (sorry, little fellows!), I have to get a full bottle, and I think they only come in 10 mls. Which Qliphoth is big bottle worthy for you? (And please explain why).

The whole evil thing and the fact that there are no notes listed scared me at first but now I think I'm ready to venture into the realm of the Qliphoth. But being, as I am, anti-imp (sorry, little fellows!), I have to get a full bottle, and I think they only come in 10 mls. Which Qliphoth is big bottle worthy for you? (And please explain why).

the first ever bottle i bought was a qliphoth, and i hear that a lot are not as 'sinister' as most sound. i looked at the reviews, and it is one of the most comforting scents i've tried. now if you look at my sig you can see i'm talking about

GAMALIEL

The Obscene Ones.

Idleness and unconscious, uncontrolled, perverse sexual desire.

Governed by Lilith Nocturna, the Onokentauros, Mother of Demons, First Wife of Adam.

this blend is actually i hear, similar to Dorian, which i am eager to get in my mailbox :D it's musky, lemony, a touch of vanilla i think. such an odd scent i would think for this qliphoth, but it's beautiful. i had spilled some on a bit of wood in my room and it scented the whole room and sometimes the hallway. such a comforting thing to walk into.

it's really a big investment to get a 10ml (yes i think they still only come in 10mls) and not know WHAT is in it (labbies, it'd be nice to know!) other than what people can pick out on the forums. that is not always great because everything acts and smells different on people.

but i looked thru all the ones and found that the description alone made me want to buy it. looked at the reviews, saw it wasn't a HEAVY scent (at the time i was concerned about that) and bought it. it's in my top ten! :P

but basically read what strikes you as something -you- would like on the site, then check the reviews in the review forum. :D good luck.

Edited by klavierbarrette

I like Gamaliel too actually. And Sammael was an oddly-appealing floral to me. I don't like florals, but I liked Sammael a lot. Gosh it's been a long time since I tried them though. Which were your favorite blends, Mrs. Black? A lot of the Qliphoth struck me as somewhat perfumey but not in an unpleasant way. But a lot of florals to my nose...

My two favorites of the lot were Thagirion for its fresh citrus/ light floral tea scent, and Nahemoth for its musky and dark fruity Hellion/Smut vibe.

I like Gamaliel too actually. And Sammael was an oddly-appealing floral to me. I don't like florals, but I liked Sammael a lot. Gosh it's been a long time since I tried them though. Which were your favorite blends, Mrs. Black? A lot of the Qliphoth struck me as somewhat perfumey but not in an unpleasant way. But a lot of florals to my nose...

I have read the reviews of the Qlipoth, but I haven't actually smelled any of them. At one time I ordered three bottles of the Sephiroth (Malkuth, Kether and Hod) but ended up keeping only Hod, which smells like my beloved Chimera with carnation added.

So far, based on the reviews, I'm tempted the most by Thagirion and Gha'agsheblah. (I enjoyed your review of this last one, Sarada-- the Perimeter of Destruction smells like blackberries, hehe!). And what I found most interesting is that, after reading everyone's opinions of the scents and selecting these two, I thought of looking at the particular brand of evil they embody. And guess what? These two are definitely shortcomings that I have and need to work with. :D Then I looked at the other definitions to see if maybe I was an all-round sinner, but no, Gha'agsheblah and Thagirion are definitely the most representative of my dark side. :P

Edited by Mrs.Black

Samael was the one Qlipoth scent that I really liked when I tried them through a circle swap -- it's the most beautiful honeyed floral (which really works as a representation of lies and hypocrisy, I think!).

This is a difficult question that really depends on your scent preferences, as most of these are really beautiful scents- not necessarily dark and evil, but more counterpoints to the Sepiroth scents.

So, what notes do you like? What sorts of scents and ideas appeal to you? What Sep's have you tried and liked or not liked? :P

Personally, I have a bottle of Thagirion, which is an herbal citrusy sort of scent which is remenicent of Ides of March to me. Samael is on my short list as well - a sort of honey musk with dark florals.

Samael smells a whole lot like La Fee Verte (but without the herbal notes that go a bit bug spray on me) and a bit like a less floral Al Araaf. So if you're into honey musk with some floral, Samael's definitely for you.

I also have some Ghagiel & Thaugirion. Thaugirion was a bit too fruity for me... but I tend to the floral side of things. I just wore Ghagiel the other day and was really digging it's sort of musky floral carnation vibe. You know how lilies smell sort of musky? That sort of musky floral, plus a bit more carnation than I usually like... but somehow it just works.

Some of the others really had a great dark Hellion type vibe, but those types of scents really aren't for me, so I seem to have forgotten which was which...

They're all really quite lovely though.

My favourites:

Nahemoth is my favourite of the lot, it smells like Snake Charmer to me, or like SC without vanilla. Same sort of plum-musk-amber-incense vibe.

Thagirion is a lovely and springy, reminiscent of the likes of Sundew and Empyreal Mist but with a creamy drydown.

Sathariel is like Al Azif with dragon's blood and possibly a cinnamon or chocolate note to it.

Gamaliel is unusual, it has all sorts of aspects to it-lemony, peppery-spicy, woodsy, musky, incensey, mossy at the drydown.

Ghagiel smells like carnation musk with spices and something heliotrope-ish, and with a drydown very similar to Morocco.

I didn't click with any of the Sephiroth, but after trying all the Qlips, I fell in love with 5 out of the 10. :P I admit, I do wear them only for perfume. But if you are on a spiritual quest and are ready to confront evil, I say, why not smell stunning while you do it?

My favorites are:

Samael - reminds me a little of La Fee Verte without the green/herbal notes, musky honey sweetness.

Thagirion - Sweet and fruity but not heavy, with a hint of mint and vanilla.

Ghagiel - Springlike floral, bright and happy.

Nahemoth - reminds me a little of Hellion, plummy and deep with patchouli and something musky.

Golachab - another deep scent, very complex with hints of blackberry, vanilla and probably the most masculine of the five I chose - but certainly gender-neutral enough for anyone to wear.

So, it's a group I always meant to get around to smelling, but never did.

Which of the Sephiroth should I get before they go.

My favorite BPALS are:

LE:

Snake Charmer

Storyville

Smut

Tireseas

GC:

Lyonesse

Snake Oil

Mr. Nancy

Perversion

As you can see, I lean towards the heady "orientals". Lots of musk, tobacco and booze. Gimme the decadance! :P Very occasionally I like florals like Dark Delicacies, and honeyed oils like Litha. I wear Snow White because the boy likes it, and less for me.

So, what do you think? Hit me!

N.

Honestly?

here is some serious dis-enabling.

I don't think there's anything in the Sephiroth that is BETTER than what you've got in your collection and seriously doubt you'd smell any of them later on and think OMG, I missed my HG scent!

And as far as we know, Beth has a lot more wonderful blends up her sleeve.

So unless you just want one or two bottles just for the sake of having a Sephiroth bottle to sit with the rest of them.... I'd say save for the next update. :P

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Beth always has something wonderful up her sleeve! :P

Cool bean, HeavenlyRabbit :D I'm totally willing to be dis-enabled!

Can't wait for the next update! :D

N.

How about Qliphoth Nahemoth? I read it resembled Snake Charmer and Smut, I ordered it for that reason. I figured if I love it 10ml will still give me plenty of wear, and if I don't, I can always swap with someone who forgot to get it.

How about Qliphoth Nahemoth? I read it resembled Snake Charmer and Smut, I ordered it for that reason. I figured if I love it 10ml will still give me plenty of wear, and if I don't, I can always swap with someone who forgot to get it.

OOOO.

Who wrote that? I'll go look. I skimmed most of the reviews...

N.

Yeah, I say definitely get Nahemoth. A lot of people (including me) say it smells like SC w/out the vanilla. It's definitely dark and fruity.

My tastes are similar to yours, N. I've sniffed all the Sephiroth blends and my favorites are:

Kether (this is warm and almondy but not too sweet; a tad spicy too)

Hod (beautiful carnation-vanilla-amber scent)

Chokmah (some say it smells like root beer. I think it smells like sexy, spicy musk. Very rich and deep, kind of unisex)

Yes, join the dark side. Nahemoth is gorgeous, and Golachab (another Qlipoth) is a deep incensey scent that I love. I have had my bottles of both for about a year and :P aging has only made them like, incredible.

I'll toss in my own plea for enabling here. I've never explored the Sephiroth, Qliphoth, or Tarot scents, but I'm open to snagging 10 ml of something that sounds good! I tend to like the somewhat unusual and complex blends, so the more mystic and aromatherapy oils often kind of suit me as perfumes. (For example, I almost like Temple of Dreams better as a personal scent.)

You can see my sig for some of my favorites. I tend to like slightly more heady scents, as opposed to fresh or delicate ones. (I'm not opposed to them, they just don't strike as much of a chord with me, generally.) I'm not a fan of earthy scents, and I avoid anything with earthy or woody notes as a main note, because I amp patchouli and sandalwood out of control. I'm also not a big fan of lavender.

Ok since today is probably the last day...how about rec's for a foodie?

Malkuth smelled like spiced oatmeal cookies to me, at least in the wet stage. IIRC, it turned a bit incensey in the drydown. That is probably the closest one, unless peach + cedar can be considered foody, then I'd also throw in Chesed. Most of the others are spice/resin/floral.

Chesed is gorgeous, but it is pretty woody, so in the end I didn't get a bottle.

But Hod! :P Oh, it is one of my favorite scents, so I snagged another bottle (and a bottle of Tarot: Judgement which is rich with red musk).

Hod is carnation and vanilla and yes, probably amber....it is gorgeous and spicy and sweet and one of the few florals I truly truly love.

I highly recommend it to anyone considering a Sephiroth. And like someone else said, if you end up not likley a sephiroth (or Tarot) then someone else will surely want to take it off your hands.

Sign in to follow this