Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ah Xia

Dian's Bud

Be as thou wast wont to be;
See as thou wast wont to see:
Dian's bud o'er Cupid's flower
Hath such force and blessed power.

Wow – this one is unusual. When first applied, this smells green, watery, and like melons. There’s something bitter there in the background, almost like a black tea scent. Or, a bitter stalk. I wouldn’t have guessed this is wormwood. I’ve picked wormwood before and it smells nothing like this. Fresh wormwood is pretty distinctive and I can’t describe it, but it’s very unique. Maybe that first blast of bitterness represented the wormwood, but that vanished so quick I can’t be sure.

This actually reminds me of a watermelon berry plant – the stalks taste a bit like cucumbers and the berries have a watery fresh taste to them.

As it wears, it’s becoming a light pretty floral. There’s something vaguely minty there too. I can see this being really nice in the spring or summer.

This is surprisingly nice. I say that only because I haven't liked many of the Rappaccini's Garden blends.

This is a light, sweet, watery, scent that's part green, part floral. There's a hint of melon or cucumber -- when wet, I smell more melon, but dry, I smell more cucumber. It really reminds me of Cancer '07 (which has sweet pea and lettuce). I couldn't begin to say what's in it. It almost seems like there's a little white musk, but perhaps that's just the brightness of the green notes.

As it dries, some of the sweetness evaporates and the bright, green quality gets a bit stronger.

This has a light, traditional perfume quality to me. In a really good way. This is light, springy, fresh, and youthful. I definitely recommend trying this if you're a fan of this kind of scent. Try this if you like: Squirting Cucumber, Blue Moon, Cancer '07, Juliet, etc.

Wet: Veeery strong, and floral. It's like a group of flowers just jumped up and slapped me in the face. There's something else in there that smells slightly bitter. I kinda want to describe this as "juicy, bitter florals."

Dry: ... where did it go?! My skin almost completely ate this within 30 minutes. Pressing my nose against my arm, I can barely detect a slight floral scent. A floral that didn't turn to soap on my skin? :P That's rare! Seeing as how I'm not too fond of florals in general.. I'm not exactly heartbroken that my skin decided to inhale this.

On a scale of 1-5, I'd give this a 2.

I'm sure that someone else[who actually enjoys florals] will love this.

imp: sweet, almost aquatic, herbal scent.

wet: it's a very light aquatic, sort of like that watery scent you get from watermelon or cucumber. very cooling.

dry: definitely reminds me of cucumber once dry, a light cucumber aquatic. this is a very light, pretty, springtime scent.

At first, this smells strangely fruity-fresh, and I agree with the 'melon' comments.

After it dries down, it's an herbal, clean floral - almost aquatic.

I can see it being a winner on someone else, but I'm not workin' it very well.

2.3 out of 5

Sadly, this smells too much like peaches on me for some reason...:/ A Shame, it smells great in the imp.

Faerygirl and I both agree - Dian's Bud smells just like the hairdresser's shampoo. Clean, green, and wet. While pleasant, neither of us wants to wear it as a perfume.

In the bottle: Fresh, clean, green floral. A bit soapy and ozoney. Honeydew makes it mildly sweet.

Wet: Honeydew, new green leaves, delicate white flowers. Soft, fresh, and lovely. Fruitier and more floral, but less soapy, on my skin.

Dry: Hmm, this has gone a bit minty! And the honeydew is almost cucumbery now...maybe it always was?

Summary: Fresh, minty-cucumber; a bit soapy, floral and quite green. Decent throw, but fades rapidly.

Not bad, but not thrilling.

Edited by fairnymph

In the imp, this smells lovely and green and a little bit sweet like some sort of magical fruity cucumber drink.

As soon as it hits my skin, it morphs into playdough and pencil shavings. Yuck, yuck, a thousand times, yuck. It does have a strong throw and good duration, but ew. My skin is not in to this.

This one'll be moving on to the swap pile, yes.

i really like the way dian's bud smells in the imp, very springtimey and fresh. for some reason, as it dries down on my skin, it takes on a strong tea scent. i don't really have a problem with that, since i like tea in my scents, but i'm not sure i want a single-note tea scent to wear. just not entirely "me." i wish it had stayed true to its sniffed scent!

I thought I smelled apricots out of the Imp. But after dry down it's a very gentle floral. It's not one for me, but I'm sure other people will like it.

in the imp: wet, lightly floral, lightly fruity. a slight melon aroma, and some green foliage.

wet on skin: there's that 'bitter' undernote some folks mentioned. it doesn't smell like tea to me, it smells like bitter plants. the type eaten for digestion. dandelion leaf, maybe.

dry down: the bitter aspect is mostly gone. now it smells predominantly like ferns, and light, sweet herbs.

in all: a lovely spring time 'green' scent for those who sway toward those notes. not much for me, however.

this is a sweet, aquatic floral. it reminds me of something i can't place, of course. it reminds me of white florals somewhat, but doesn't turn bad on my skin as much as those have a tendency to do. it's sort of lily-like, but not exactly. it's light and pretty and perfect for spring.

Bottle: Generic floral

Wet: Overpowering floral with a softness that I wish I could smell more. I hate amping florals!

There's a softness there, that's really beautiful and my nose can't get at it.

Drydown: Reminds me of Ivanushka and a floral bpal layered. Not my scent.

2.5 outta 5

Another of the imps I got from Mary's newbie pack

Imp: Sharp, green melon? herbally

Wet on Me: More Sharp green herbally goodness

Really Fresh smelling

Drying Down:Still fabulous and green and hrebally and

oh so lovely

Dry:luscious green. Still herbal, no melon from

the imp. Still fabulous

Stay/Throw: very delicate and so does not overpower.

Stays pretty nice. Wrist is attached to nose tho.

This is a keeper. Totally Bottle worthy. My Bottle list is growing!

In the vial - This is a very unusual scent - it's green and herbal but for some reason that cannot be adequately explained, I'm getting a hint of bananas.

Wet on the skin - A mysterious and unidentifiable mix of green and fruity notes. There's a sour tone on first application that I don't really like.

Next stages - Luckily the sourness vanishes after a few minutes as a melon-like, wet and fruity note comes to the fore.

Dry down - 20 minutes into wear, the blend calms into a soft, fruity veil of scent. I'll probably keep my imp and use it as a room scent on warm days.

Similar scents - Yemaya

Not to much to this, and I seriously wish I could get the melon that everyone else is getting, instead if reminds me of dried herbs. Very LIGHT dried herbs

In the imp: Green and melonish.

Applied: Very fresh like green stems and linen drying in the sun with a fruity hint of cantaloupe.

Drydown: As it dries it gets softer and more melded together. I think there is a hint of lime that starts to come out.

Light and pretty. Not quite my thing but I'll enjoy the imp.

In The Bottle

Fresh and slightly fruity/melonish

On Application

As above

Dry Down

Becomes more floral as it dries down. Soft wildflowers and citrus. Really nice but not for me.

Rating (0-5)

IN THE IMP: Cucumber, melon, possibly citrus. Fresh, clean, soft, sweet. Not soapy, but not really remarkable, either.

ON SKIN: As in the imp. A green, clear kind of scent, verging on aquatic – it has the same clarity and sweetness as moonflower, to me, but I don't think there's actually any moonflower in it? I can imagine this being a shower gel really easily.

LATER: Stays true throughout wear. Overall, it's pleasant, but not remarkable, and I'm not sure that it's worth keeping. Medium throw, short wearlength (about two hours).

SUMMARY: Cucumber-melony sweet aquatic.

Imp: A very sweet, fresh, green springy sort of scent.

Wet: Fresh green, maybe grass, sweet to the point of being lightly fruity (melon, cucumber?) and even a little bit of a light citrus—maybe lemongrass?

Dry: Fresh and clean and a bit aquatic. Like newly cut white flowers sitting in a vase next to a pitcher of cucumber/melon infused water like they’d serve at a posh spa.

Overall: Lovely, but not my sort of scent.

Fruity green floral. I'm definitely getting a honeydew vibe from this one. I liked it at first, but then after about 15 minutes something started to turn a little sour to my nose.

I won't be wearing Dian's Bud again, but women looking for a light fresh floral should give this a try.

Goes on just like Bath and Body Works Cucumber Melon scent, but dries into a much more floral scent - very light, slightly floral and sweet. Girly and unobtrusive sort of scent