Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ah Xia

Love-In-Idleness

Yet mark'd I where the bolt of Cupid fell:
It fell upon a little western flower,
Before, milk-white, now purple with love's wound,

And maidens call it love-in-idleness.

imp: rose, and something I can't put my finger on.
Wet: a small bit of rose, and what my husband says is pansy, he worked in a plant farm that supplied flowers to local wal-marts, lowes, nurseries ect.
Drydown: pansy, violet, and I think a little of stargazer lily.
Dry: same as drydown, but stronger
Overall: this is a very sweet wet floral. The throw is very good on this one. I put one dab on my wrist, and my husband could smell it on the other side of the couch, he has a stuffy nose. This didn't get very powdery on me. I like it a lot, and if you love florals, you will love this.

Wild pansy, huh...learn something new everyday!

I definitely get the lilac note others have gotten but there's a lot more going on here. It's a medium throw watery soft floral on me. I do get whiffs of lilac, but there's another floral (or combination of florals) that's more prominent but I can't identify them. I'm not huge on wearing florals myself - a little more elegant than I can pull off, but I think I may have to try this in my oil burner!

ETA: I did use this in my burner and it's amazing. Seriously. I think I may just have to collect imps of this because it's perfect. It's soft and pretty and welcoming without being overly floral, feminine, or babyish.

Edited by neuilly

Got Love in Idleness as a frimp from the lab :wub2: I am so glad I did!

In the imp: A sweet floral

Wet on skin: floral which grows in sweetness as it sit on the skin

Dry on skin: A fresh floral that has just the right amount of sweetness.

I think I'm getting a scent of rose or maybe peony? It's not the dry and dusty type, but fresh and green and full of life. Reminds me of mid spring when everything is lush and blooming.

I love this scent! Too bad it drys down and fades quite quickly on my skin. This makes me want to invest in a scent locket :)

Classic, sharp floral, borderline chemical. There's some springy grasses in there, too. Not so bad on my skin, but it’s kind of a boring floral. Big "meh" on this.

This feels lush and floral, like waxy lily or other very green big tropical bloom. Just green and leafy enough to win me right over. I feel like a beautiful plant, or some exotic 40's club singer, wearing a huge flower behind my ear.

Frimp from the lab. I absolutely love Midsummer Night's Dream and have always wanted to try this. Unfortunately, it was rather disastrous.

In the imp: Faint sweet floral with a harsh chemical undertone.

Wet: YO, something went terribly wrong immediately. I don't know if it was the green note (?) or the pansy or the carnation (which hates me) or what, but I got almost no floral and a kind of awful wet swampy chemical smell. Husband said it was like bathroom air freshener from the eighties! Thankfully it didn't cause a headache, but this is really unpleasant.

Drydown: After a while it seems to get a little sweeter, but that awful chemical note remains, and I can't tell whether the perfume is sweetening or just fading. Weirdly, it also wears off very quickly but the nasty note hangs on and on and is really difficult to wash off. It smells something like floral hairspray.

Verdict: NO NO NO NO NO cat. Like someone else said, I wish I knew what notes were in this so I could avoid them forever, because something in this really doesn't go with my skin. I think it's probably a green note, beause those really really don't work on me, but usually they don't smell like some kind of awful spray.

Edited by theredshoes

This is really pretty....sweet floral but a touch on the old fashioned/old lady side. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. I got this as a freebie from my Lupercalia 2014 order, and I think I'll hold on to it when the snow is falling and I feel as though spring will NEVER COME. icon_evil.gif

I don't remember Johnny-Jump-Ups (which is what we called Violas in Texas) as having much of a scent. This is MUCH stronger, but still a really pretty, fresh, floral. I wore it today and it's lasted and lasted, even through multiple hand-washings.

Wet: Fresh, vivacious lilac. Simple, sweet, and happy.

Drydown: A beautifully sweet flower. Lilacs seemingly drizzled with cream and honey.

Dry: Quieter now. The color is more white than purple. A light hint of a pale, sweet flower.

7 out of 10 bones

In the imp: I honestly can't pick what's in this - it's blended really well! It does smell like a very purple flower. It's sweet, but not at all delicate!

Wet on skin: Lilacs, Lily of the Valley, something a little spicy, something aquatic. I'm not sure how I feel about this one yet.

Dry on skin: TOTALLY different! Sweet (almost sugary!), creamy & soft! It smells like a soap or a scented body powder, but a really nice one! I really like this smell, but I'm not sure I like it as a perfume.

After a few hours: Soft, sweet floral. Like a nice soap or dusting powder.

Verdict: This is a very pretty scent, BUT not how I want me to smell... I want my towels & bedding to smell like this! If this were an atmo spray, I'd be spraying it on EVERYTHING! I read recently about someone making scented dryer balls with some of their BPALs & I think I'll have to try that, because I just know this won't ever get worn, but I don't know if I could bear to give it away!

In the imp: Sweet, honeyed floral.

Wet on my skin: FLOWERS. With a touch of honey...no, honeysuckle.

Dry: A sweet, pleasant floral blend. Pansy, honeysuckle, lilac, and maybe a bit of sweet pea. And something green underneath. It's quite lovely, though a bit too sweetly-floral for me to wear. Perhaps a room scent, yes. Yeeeesss.

Sweet. Very, very, sweet. Cloyingly sweet. Sweet floral laundry.. something. Fabric softener? It isn't soapy enough to be detergent.

I generally quite like florals, including many of the "love it or hate it" florals such as rose and lilac, but this is a bit much.

And it is not only headily sweet, it is persistent; 45 mins after application and two wrist washings later, it's still here. Given that my skin eats oils like bloodlust, whip, and perversion for a light snack, that says something about the heft of this scent. Swaps/frimps for this one.

Wet: A sweet floral. A bit similar to lilac, but not quite. Also getting some green notes. I've never really smelled pansy in anything before. It's quite lovely. I do love sweet florals, and this certainly is one. I'm not finding it sickly sweet or anything though. There's just enough freshness.

Dry: It loses the green, fresh edge and gets sweeter, becoming a touch too sweet (and I really like sweet florals). I do think I like pansy, based on this, however I think I would like it blended with something that would ground it and keep it from being so sweet. Glad to have tried it though!

Surprised at people saying this is light. It smelled fairly innocuous and floral in the imp, but fresh on I find it INCREDIBLY sweet. Sweet to the point where I can't smell anything other than that "candy-like" scent that Lush does. Awful.

As it dries some of the flower notes come out, and when I catch them they smell really lovely, but it's still overpoweringly candy-like.

Eventually it settles into something pleasantly floral. I like the final result, but won't wear just because of the first couple of hours.

So glad I got a frimp of this since it was on my list for a while.

Way too floral for me, like overly sweet granny perfume. It doesn't have a huge throw from what I can tell, but just enough to pick it up from my wrist while typing. I can't really pinpoint any particular notes because it's so overpowering to my nose. I wanted to like this, but oh well.

A heady, dedicated, syrupy floral, very much a bouquet blend. Lilac, rose, heliotrope and more? Something here reminds me of the dragon's blood fruity floral, though the color of this oil is much lighter.

This is fine but too committed to flowers for me. Pass.

Opens with that jasmine/stamen note of the Lab's which hates me, but that quickly disappears and leaves me with a pretty but generic floral.

This makes me think of a young girl, in her Sunday dress, at an Easter egg hunt. :smile:

It's simple, sweet, bright, happy, and soft. IT'S VERY FLORAL. If your the type of person that goes around in the spring, sniffing all the tulips, daffodils, narcissus, and yes, pansies, and you want to smell like you belong right along with them, check this out. It's honestly a bit too much for me usually. I like my florals mixed with something. BUT, when I get in the right mood, like now, where we've had spring rains the last 3 days, it's nice to know I have an imp of this one.

I don't have any issues with chemical smells, powderiness, or soapiness. This is just all flower, all the time. That said, I generally, can wear florals w/out chemistry issues.

In the imp: Definitely makes me think of purple flowers!

Wet: This one is strong! It makes me think of a bunch of fresh, purple flowers, and I feel like there's a citrus-y white tea aspect to it. Google tells me that these are pansies, but I don't recall what they smell like (or if they have a particularly strong smell). As the scent sits on my skin, the flowers become sweeter, and it makes me think of springtime.

Dry: Sweet, strong, purple, spring flowers. I think this may be one of the components of Muse of Fire and Rainbow Swirl.

Verdict: This one is too strongly perfume-y floral for me. I feel like it needs something to tame it. Glad I got to try it, though!

Totally different scent from wet to dry. 

Wet: Soft Flowers and carrier oil

Dry Down: Elizabeth Taylor’s Sapphire (or at least my memory of it)  

Longevity and throw is significant at this stage (2 hours and it smells just applied.)

Verdict: A work of olfactory and alchemic art  and why I love BPAL