Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ah Xia

Love-In-Idleness

Yet mark'd I where the bolt of Cupid fell:
It fell upon a little western flower,
Before, milk-white, now purple with love's wound,
And maidens call it love-in-idleness.

Hmm.. lilac? Some sweet pea too, maybe? Possibly even some honeysuckle? There's something very sweet and rich in here.. I'm picking orange flowers, rather than white or yellow, it reminds me of that California Poppy hair oil (is that even still around??). This definitely has an 'old-fashioned' feel to it, it's very nice but I would only recommend it for those who like rich florals.

In the vial: Stinky diaper floral! :ack: I'm afraid to put it on my skin...

Wet: Smells sort of like lilacs, orchids and honeysuckle had an orgy on my arm. Not so bad! Very sneeze-inducing but I can appreciate it.

Dry: BIG florals, powdery, purple, HUGE (or as they say up here in the Northeast...YOOGE!) Not for the faint of heart.

Verdict: This is a floral lovers dream! Love-In-Idleness is VERY strong. I can appreciate this but I'm not too much a fan of floral blends and after a while this would just give me a headache. If you're not a fan of flowers...steer clear of this one. If you like your perfume with lots of petals, this is for you :)

did anyone say this smelled like ylang ylang?? is it just me??

Its initially like a ylang ylang frieght train hitting me in then face.

Then softens to a vanilla-ish soft ylang ylang.

In the far drydown, its a light lily-ish scent.

Fades really fast.

Woah! :wub2: Sparkling, effervescent floral mixed with 7-up. Beautiful and completely unexpected! One of the best in Rappaccini's Garden for me so far.

Wet soapy floral at first, then a bouquet of sweet violet, rose and a white musk. At times, a wisp of jasmine sambac, but all-in-all, not a big floral at all...a gentle fairy potion. Another winner from Rappaccini's Garden.

"Love-in-idleness" is, as Shakespeare notes, an old country name for the wild pansy. The scent is a light floral with an equally light greenish undernote, inoffensive and probably very close to the original. Unfortunately, its staying power on my skin is about an hour -- I touched it up, and it did the same disappearing act again. This one's headed for the swap pile.

Oh this is a lovely mellow floral blend.

There's bit of something citrus lying under a slight soil like note maybe. Above all of that though is the beautiful blooms blossoming. They're sweet, but not sugary or creamy. This is the perfume of a innocent girl taking tea in her garden.

Very pretty!

Not overly offensive, but a little too mature for my tastes. (Not a great correspondence to the description for me, then!) Almost fruity, like dragon's blood. Could also be smelling the pansy.

ETA: just read stardreamer's review. Aha! Very interesting. Must be the wild pansy then.

Still not for me. :)

Edited by levelek

super soft and delight little milk white flower.. how I just dearly love you :wub:

ever white an now purple with a greenish louche under your pale skin..

you make me want to dance ballet all night long, by myself with the cats staring from my window below..

Wet: oh god bug spray with perfume :thud:

Transition: lets see... rose, slightly vanilla and oh ya and lots of bug spray!

Dry: bitter, sharp, weird, still a bit of pesticide scent and strongly of chemicals

Throw: I'm guessing far, I'm typing and the scent is just below my wrists but it smells like this is coming at me from all directions! Like the room is filled with the strong odor of scented pesticides! (of course I may have applied more than I meant to)

Once again the bit on my fingers from opening the imp is somewhat nice but too sweet and department store perfume-ish

I washed my arm, luckily it is now a bit like rubbing alcohol as opposed to the other chemical smell. I wish I knew all the notes in this, because if I encounter this again I'll want to know what to avoid. So I can avoid it like the plague. :ack:

Edited by FelicityTwitchell

Love-in-Idleness

Floral! My first thought was daffodil, then I got a whiff of something jasmine-like, then neroli? (Something a little sharp and green.) SO says it smells "rosy". This smells very spring-like. It's a pretty scent, but I don't think I'd really wear it... still, I might hang onto the imp and see if I change my mind.

In the bottle – A soft green floral

Wet on me – Soapy, sappy green florals

Dry on me – A very soft, slightly sweetened green floral

Overall – Not my cup of tea

perfect! it reminds me of spring, very floral and suprisinlgy lasting! i need this too :-p

*sigh* whyy did they send me that one :twisted:now i want more!

At first, this is strong floral, kind of soapy and rather unpleasant to a pretty much non-floral person. As it dries, though, something wonderful happens. A beautiful soft musk mixes with the florals and it is now a slightly floral beautful musk. This blend reacts very nicely with my chemistry, though it's kind of hard to explain how. Kind of reminds me a bit of Trinket, though not as musky. May upgrade to a bottle eventually after the imp is used.

Love-in-idleness is a name for the pansy.

Sniffed: A floral with a strong herbal presence, cool and subdued.

On skin: This is a herbal/floral scent: sweet, clear, slightly green and sharp. Thankfully the florals overcome any potential astringency from the herbal notes. I'm not good with picking out notes without a list, so I'm not sure what florals are in here, but they are gentle and discreet. And, most strikingly, chilly without being mentholic or evergreen. Indeed, Love-in-Idleness reminds me of a pale maiden, cool, aloof, distant, and sad with longing. She seems very far away, unreachable in all senses. The blend becomes cooler and a bit watery over time, and fades very quickly.

Colour impression is a pale, watery cyan-green, edged with black. I also did get a vision of a pale lady dressed in white, reclining on a divan surrounded by blue-green and black veils, staring off into the distance. Her surroundings are so subdued and cool that she seems to glow white.

Verdict: Even though I won't wear this much, Love-in-Idleness is a truly beautiful, evocative scent. One of the few blends which gives me a visual impression apart from colour. I'd say this is a floral blend that may appeal to non-floral lovers. Very, very lovely!

On the skin: A pretty yellow feeling floral. Not headachey or strong at all! I could see this being a perfect blend for summer. Not really for me though.

Now in the third decade of my obsession with A Midsummer Night's Dream, I had to have this. Unfortunately, it's not something that smells good on me.

Starts out, in the imp and wet, totally delicious -- smells like a big bunch of wet lilacs.

As it dries, though, I got a whiff of something like camphor. Then it got a little headshoppy on me, sort of Vixen lite. At the end I started getting an armpitty rooty note, which is what happened to me with Black Hellebore.

Verdict: I'll probably keep the imp around to see if it inspires me when I'm working on a Midsummer-inspired project, especially since I like that wet lilac smell. But I doubt I'll wear it again.

In the Imp (ITI): Wow, super strong lilac. This does not bode well as lilac turns soapy and just a little antiseptic on my skin. I can’t detect any other notes, sadly. I know the title refers to pansy, but all I can smell is lilac.

Wet: Ah, here is the pansy with lilac, although I think there is a little carnation and perhaps just the tiniest rose. It’s still a bit too floral for me and it makes me want to sneeze.

Dry:Sweet, nearly candy-like floral. It reminds me of carnation, well-behaved lilac, and rose. Too floral - in the swap pile we go.

A gorgeous delicate floral with something horrid underneath. What is that gross chemical scent lingering in there? :ugh: