Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Robin Goodfellow

Dark musk, moss-covered wood, ragwort, heather, and sage.

Robin Goodfellow starts off pretty well on me with a soft but masculine mossiness which is appealing and even slightly sweet. However, it quickly grows into "grandma perfume" with a sort of sickly sweet muskiness. None of the notes listed for this typically do that on my skin, so I'm not sure what gives here.

This is primarily musk and moss. When first applied I detect a bit of sweetness, but that quickly burns off leaving a masculine scent.

It's interesting, but not something I'd wear.

Imp: Sage! Sage and woods. I am digging the sage in this, however. It is so sharp and bright and pure. This feels very purifying.

Wet: Dark and green with a hint of wood and musk starting to shine through. I don't know what heather smells like in the wild but this reminds me heavily of Glasgow so I'm going to assume it's the heather.

Dry: This is beautiful. A dark, green, mossy sage over a base of dark musk. It's like a herbal Lycaon (one of my stealth favs). This is very powerful and magical. I feel like a witch or a magus. This might have shot straight to the top of the big bottle list because this is an incredible personal power scent. Reminiscent of a forest but with enough of a musky, powerful base to make it dangerous.

Throw: Moderate

Overall: Robin Goodfellow pulled a quick one on me. I don't know why I like smelling like a ritual magician but I do and this is a perfect scent for that odd fascination.

Edited by paperrose

In the Imp: Hard to describe

Wet on Skin: spicy, maybe a hint woody; A friend says: "coppertone" (and heather)

While Drying: a hint of heather, something souring; nice floral from elbows with a green bulb-y note

After a Little While: smells different each place I put it; feels like it is barely holding together, while parts want to go sour, acrid, soapy

Later: not much staying power

Final Thoughts: I can see how this would be nice on other people, but my skin wants to make it explode in several bad directions.

Robin Goodfellow earns a 2.5/5 on my skin.

In the imp, I get woods and herbs. On my skin, it's pretty much the same. We'll see what this does. Ends up being vaguely reminiscent of Mr. Jacquel, but not anything I need to keep.

Edited by Venneh

One word: Dad.

I love this so much because it reminds me of him, for the very same reason I just can't wear it. The notes in this are also similar to Ded Moroz, somewhat. But this definitely has a more masculine feel. Not sure if what I'm smelling is moss-covered wood or sage. Also, this is the only time dark musk hasn't turned to talcum powder on me.

This is honestly the first time I've had my BPAL decisions influenced by a dream - I had a dream a while ago that I was Puck, and thought it ample time to try this blend, as I love musk, moss, sage and wood notes. I'm not sure about the heather, but it might not be overpowering.

In the imp - a pleasant, sweet herbal flavour, far sweeter than I anticipated.

On wet - heather, moss and sage, still quite sweet.

Drydown - slightly muskier now, still the moss and sage with a hint of heather.

I'm really surprised this turns dark on quite a few people, because it doesn't on me at all. It's one of the lightest scents I've tried. It stays very t stays extremely close to the skin and is quite pleasant - which was actually slightly disappointing to me because I like my scents dark and slightly scary :P

ETA: Upon testing it again it was slightly earthier but still light. The musk is coming out quite well, and this scent is really growing on me.

Edited by voorishsign

Frimp in one of my orders.

I'm weird. I like smelling like a forest. Seeing the notes for the blend, I thought it had a lot of promise . . . and it does after a rocky beginning!

In the imp, I get fancy gentlemen's cologne or after shave. It's nice, and I like it, but it reminds me of my grandfather and while I loved him, I don't want to smell like him! Wet, it becomes a musky gentlemen's cologne. I wasn't holding out much hope at this point, but during the drydown, those lovely mossy woods that I adore emerged and beat back the generic cologne. Dry, I'm left with mossy woods, sage, and a touch of heather, the latter two popping up as the oil dried, adding just a touch of green sweetness.

I need to test this a few more times in order to determine if this warrants an upgrade. I like my scents to be a touch sweeter than this but it is wonderful and reminds me of some of the drier type forests in the Southern California mountains, as oppose to the damp ones in the northern half of the state.

Initially, this smelled very fresh, almost aquatic, and quite masculine, like something my Dad would wear. I added it to the pile of imps that I delegate to my husband. Now it is smelling very clean, like some kind of deodorant soap (Safeguard?), but in a nice way. I may have to sneak it back for myself! I can imagine wearing it on a hot summer day, just after a shower, after working all day outside.

In bottle: Wood and herbs.

Wet: A lovely deep musk with woody moss/herb tones.

Dry: A woody musk blend. The musk is really the star of the show and it deepens once dry.

Notes: It evokes imagery of a dark green forest at dusk, as the shadows begin to deepen. A good pick for anyone who enjoys strong musks.

In the Bottle – strong sage and raggedy moss

Wet on Skin – sage with some very bold musk that nearly overwhelms my nose, moss and heather around the edges give it a hint of green growing things.

First Impressions – Robin comes on strong and virile, this would be an excellent blend for a man - a deep, brooding deciduous scent. It is pure uncontested masculinity, masterful and unwavering, that makes me feel very protected.

Mid-Dry – the musk is no longer roaring for conquest, and the sage, moss and heather release their scent in the gathering dusk.

Drydown – Musky, dark, deep, wonderful.

The Fella Says – that he would wear it! :heart:

The Verdict – I had almost forgotten what a real man smells like! Robin Goodfellow is archetypally masculine to my nose, and though it doesn't really smell like Polo, it reminds me of that very cologne my father used to wear. This scent, like the memory of watching my Dad shave and put on his cologne before going to work in the morning, evokes the very best qualities of Man - protective stewardship, confidence, vigor, noble instinct, integrity, and commitment to purpose. As symphonyinsilence put it earlier, I love this scent because it reminds me so much of my Dad, and all those fatherly qualities he exemplifies.

Big Bottle Purchase? - Yes, for the Fella

Rating – 9

Wet: Deep green and mossy. Something herbal. Smells wild.

Drydown: Starting to sweeten, I have no idea whether it's the musk or the sage or the heather. It lightens up considerably, I'm not sure I'd even call it green anymore. I miss the wild woods a bit, but this stage is not bad either.

Dry: Okay, still green, but not nearly as dark as in the beginning. Soft, sweet, lush, enticing, seductive. A half-naked, pretty damn good-looking Robin Goodfellow lounging in the shadows beneath the trees in an enchanted forest. Later on, it turns a little bit incensey, which doesn't spoil the image at all. Quite the opposite. Yum. I really, really like this.

Keep: Yes

Bottle: Yes

In the imp this smells beautifully woody and musky.

On my skin it smells even better. The slightly bitter edge the wood had in the imp becomes instantly sweeter and softer when it's on. This smells Really Good. What's particularly nice is that this manages to be a dark and woodsy smell without being too heavy, intense cologny, or pungent. This smells like dry fragrant wood sitting by a warm fireplace - it seems to have a simple, natural feel to it. It would make a great everyday scent and seems like it would be good in any season. I need to put this one on the bottle list.

Oooh I like this.

Wet: heather, sage, and moss with maroon black musk notes.

Drydown: mostly moss and sage. Yesss...

The sage and heather make this smell a whole lot like Carlin, a halloweenie from 2009.

While Carlin was green, this is dark and (softly) woody. At first when I tried this, I thought there was tonka here, because there's a sense of sweet powderyness. Not baby powder, but something sweet. Turns out it was the moss.

Very pleasant in a dark forest floor way. I love it.

In imp: Watered down Cola.

On wet: Smells like Cola and an older man's cologne. I smell the dryness of moss and some sour note I really don't care for.

Dry: Quite masculine, and I am totally not one to like the masculine perfumes on me. It would probably smell decent on a man but the sour note in it threatens to ruin the whole scent, though it hasn't yet, it lurks in the background grinning mischeviously. Yeah, I could see other people liking this but not for me.

In the vial: Sweet, woodsy cologne.

Freshly applied: Immediately goes from sweet woods to very warm, musky cologne.

Drying: Aaaaaand it's gone. When it comes back it's still warm and musky, but there's something sweet and powdery in the background that I'm not really that much of a fan of :|

Later: It just doesn't work on me :( The scent is pretty faint most of the time, and when it's not it's a musky, powdery, floral.

Mossy woodsy blend. Green moss, masculine smell. Kinda sour, like the "sparkling" note BPAL has that smells like Coca Cola... Does not fit me but I should try this on my BF

In the imp and fresh on: Very masculine, with a distinct "men's cologne" feel.

Drydown: Becomes more herbal/spicy, but still with the "men's cologne" aura.

Long-term: Doesn't change much until the very end, when the non-musk notes start fading back and the musk sweetens a bit. Staying power is about average; 12 hours and it's mostly gone.

Bottom line: Not a bad scent, but rather too masculine for my taste. If my guy wore scents, I'd try it on him; as it is, it's headed for the swap pile.

ROBIN GOODFELLOW

In Vitro Spicy and... woodsy! Yay! Sort of resin or evergreen.

Wet Immediately sharper, less spicy and more conventional. I couldn't name what wood(s) I smelled.

Drying Ten minutes in and just slightly sharp sweetness with nothing I could identify. I presented my wrist to Mom and she wrinkled her nose and identified it as musk, adding, "Not my thing." I didn't dislike the smell,which was fortunate because it lasted a long time, but I wasn't enthusiastic about it.

A few hours later I put my nose on the spot and smelled the same thing, but this time I was assailed by a memory. I saw a magazine page with a picture of a hapless young woman being macked on by a bearded man, and remembered unfolding a perfume sample to smell - Tabu! Dear gods, Robin Goodfellow turned to Tabu on me!

According to the site Yesterday's Perfume, Tabu contains "Base notes: Patchouli, civet, cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, benzoin, amber, musk, oakmoss". Robin Goodfellow lists only musk. More testing is needed, but I'm already leery of musk.

Edited by hexnut

This is a very green/herby scent. Kind of hurts my nose. Not for me.

Later: Huh, I take it back! The greeness dulls a bit and it smells more... spicy/sweet! This smells good!

Kind of cologney at first, then changes to an earthy, musky masculine blend. The dark musk does not seem to be the same as black musk to me. This is nice, but I don't wear dude blends. It would be nice to smell on a guy, though, the rugged, outdoorsy type.

sweet and dusty and almost a little bit powdery? i went into this not having re-read the description and so was unsure of which notes i was picking up, but it was generally a soft, sweet, subtle scent; a pleasant floral, i thought, definitely more feminine than masculine, on me. i'm guessing i amped the musk and heather. i also did not get a forest of any kind, which is, i am certain, what made me want to initially try this one. i'm thinking my skin/chemistry just bypassed the moss entirely. :(

i may have to try it again, but i'm thinking this one may have to be sent off to swaps. it's quite lovely(!), but i've many other imps which love me more, and something tells me that this one just does not sing on me the way that it could (or that it seems to for others!). alas!

First Sniff: A heavy, dark pine.

Wet: Much the same as the first sniff; this is definitely masculine!

Dry: As it dried, it maintained that musk scent. I haven’t gotten any soft heather yet. But once it dried completely it went very soft on me. And now it’s completely different than the first sniff and has become something very light and feminine!

My Reaction: Like the imp’s namesake Puck, this morphed and confused me something awful! First it was reminiscent of a dark, wet forest, perfect for a male, then it was flowery and pale, good for a female. Honestly, I liked the initial impression better as I’ve already got a lot of scents that are powdery and soft on me. This one had potential, but I’ll stick to my Loup Garou for my woodsy scent.

Rating 1-5: 2

EDIT: After having this on for about an hour, it changed back to being mildly masculine with ragwort (I think?) mixing in to make this actually bother my allergies. Sadly, I’m going to have to wash this one off!

Edited by elinox