Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Robin Goodfellow

Dark musk, moss-covered wood, ragwort, heather, and sage.

imp: a very herby musky scent. mainly sage and musk.

wet: the sweetness of teh heather explodes when this hits my skin! this is all wet and green and verdant. so pretty.

dry: this dries very nicely. dry musk and warm dried herbs. goona add it to the husband's imp pile and see what he thinks.

Wow, I thought I was going to hate this...yay for lab frimps! The sweet side is definitely unexpected. I love Heather but this feels a bit different. It's a green scent without being woodsy. There's sage and...moss? There's something just a bit damp in here. Mischievous and just a bit sexy like Mr. Goodfellow himself!

In the imp: earthy musk, sage, green woods

Wet: musk gets sweeter with delicious heather, but still the musk is still strong. Woods are darkened, spicy almost masculine.

Dry: VERY sensual musk, the dusty sage against the green moss is like a walk in a dark forest--dreamlike...almost lilke there are dark flowers blooming somewhere undiscovered.

Wonderful unisex fragrance! I love it--but I can see it worn on DH as well. The moss note is really wonderful. :P

Imp: I smell apples and grass. Interesting, not too sure if I want to apply.

Wet: Oh, well, I guess I applied, lol. VERY apple driven to me...my body is weird.

Drydown: Now I smell a soft spice, mixed with the heather and moss, no more apples, thank goodness. This wasn't named Robin Appleseed...

Overall: Could be a very nice ren faire scent...

In The Bottle

Light musk and sage

On Application

Earthy, mossy musk and sage. Foresty.

Dry Down

The woods really start to come out and blend with the musk beautifully to make this sweeter and resnous. The sage re-emerges to add a herbal dry twist a bit later on. This scent is fantastic - warm, natural, musky, mysterious.

Rating (0-5)

My reasons for ordering this imp were twofold: that I wanted to try something that would, in color terms, be a deep dusty gray-green (this is a color I use a lot when I draw), and that A Midsummer Night's Dream was one of the first Shakespeare plays I ever saw, and I loved it immediately.

In the imp: Musky, with an undertone of something dark green. It may just be that I'm uneducated with regards to notes, but at this point, I can't really distinguish much yet.

Wet on skin: Some woody notes pull forward, and something that I am pretty sure is the oakmoss. The musk still overlies all of this.

Drydown: I'm definitely starting to get sage now, and I'm almost certain now that the notes I smelled in the wet stage are the moss and wood. The musk is diminishing, but that's letting me get a better whiff of the greenery. There's something a little sweet, too; from skimming the rest of the thread, I'm guessing that's the heather. I haven't a clue what ragwort smells like.

Five hours later: Definitely still present. Robin Goodfellow has gone soft and gentle on me. It's a bit sweet with a spiced undertone: moss, wood, and sage. The sweetness may be the heather. The musk has either blended in seamlessly with the other notes, or is mostly gone.

End of the day: There's still a definite sweet mossy smell on my wrists.

Overall: Based on the smell in the imp alone, I didn't think I was going to like this as much as I do. It's a soft and gentle foresty smell, as if during the night after a long hot day, when the air has cooled but there's still residual warmth in the soil and greenery. (Like, uh. On Midsummer's Night. There we go!) It also reminds me Coyote, which I also like very much, in that it's warm, soft, woody, and musky. But where Coyote leaves behind the scent of dried grass, Robin Goodfellow leaves moss and maybe heather. Coyote is golden tan, and Robin really does leave that gray-green I'd hoped for. Keeper!

I bought this one unsniffed 5ml.. why ? Dunno.. but glad I did.

This smells like my Grandpa ( which is VERY VERY GOOD !! :D )

A bit sweet, like you´ve just went for a walk in a dark, green forrest and you just catched

up some big fat drops of summer rain..

In the bottle I did not like it that much.

Its pretty herbal and a bit sharp even.

On skin it mellows immediatly and becomes... Grandpa.. *smile*

He used to wear "tabac" perfume all the time and somehow Robin reminds me

of that.

I missed that smells eversince he died 1997.

I don´t know whether I will wear this a lot,

but its a keeper for the memory.

The bottle I bought has allready aged 2 years or something, lets wait and see if

it changes some more.

Good job, Beth - I have goosebumps all over..:P

In bottle/imp: Dark musk, dark wood, and dry, fragrant herbs.

Immediately on skin: The first thing that hits my nose is green stems… no one plant in particular, but the mixture of musk, moss, wood, and sage is creating something like the scent you get when breaking a thick green plant stem. It’s dark and herbal though, not fresh. There’s an interesting bit of dry notes in the background… very dark and dry black musk and wood. This scent has a touch of spice as well.

After a little while: This is a bitter musk type of scent. I no longer get that green stem type of feeling; instead I get a dark herbal wood and musk scent. This scent smells slightly damp and bitter, with a very dark feel to it.

Overall Impressions: This is a dark (non-pine) forest type of scent. It’s deep, wooded, and damp with hints of herbs and musk and dry woods. This is more of a unisex to masculine scent in my opinion, though the musk does add a hint of sweetness. This scent brings up tones of black, dirty green, and grey in my head… lots of shadowy forest floor types of colors. It’s evocative, but not for me.

I felt like it had too much sage and dark musk for my skin chemistry. I wasn't really sure if dark musk a musk I like, but it might also be the fact that the sage puts a damper on it. I found it a bit weird that I didn't like this for the reason that it was also a woody scent I didn't like. I'm all about woody notes, but this didn't work for me. It also dried very very powdery and almost reminded me of dried up play dough. :P

This is light, sweet, and slightly powdery. I think the musk is what I smell, mostly. It's slightly green and pleasant, nothing offensive at all, but just not exciting to me. I am in the process of paring down my collection, and this doesn't compete with other scents that I love. It kind of reminds me of Buck Moon.

In the imp: Sharp! Grass, leaves and...some mint??

Wet on skin: PEPPERY! Somewhat masculine leaves and grass. I still don't know quite what vetiver smells like but I always imagined it would smell like this.

Drydown: CRUDDDD this smelled so good at first but it ultimately ends up smelling like broth and toilet cleaner on me :P wtf, also yuck.

This was a frimp from the Lab—but I love musk, so I have high hopes.

In the imp: Dark green herbal.

On me: Sweetens when it hits skin, and then there's my beloved musk: dark and almost earthen, but not overpowering. Musk is sweet on my skin, transforming very masculine blends (looking at you, Satyr) into something wonderful and wearable; this musk does the same, but for once it retains a masculine edge. The musk rises from mixed herbs, wood, and moss (smoothly blended, I can't pick out notes), so while the musk is still deliciously sweet, it's grounded by a slightly herbal organic setting. This is Robin Goodfellow crouching in his forest, gently masculine and warm with musk, a spirit who—in his heart of hearts—only means well. It's surprisingly gentle, with minimal throw.

Verdict: I'm won over. I have other musks which I love more, so this probably won't become a favorite. But it is lovely, well-suited to the inspiration, beautiful on my skin, sweet and herbal with warm and comforting musk. The masculine edge is just enough that I'll wear this when curled up with a book, not as a perfume for others to smell. But I'll definitely wear it, and I'm keeping the imp.

I'm not much of a musk maven and was surprised to like Robin G. so much. I am glad that the king of Sherwood Forest uses sage and other herbs to keep his royal armpits presentable. His scent reminds me of a sweaty hike in the woods.

Edited by themerrybaker

Robin Goodfellow-

In Bottle: A sharp note that I associate with masculine colognes. Herbal

Wet: Wet crunchy green stems.

Dry: Not masculine; herbal, yes. Powdery floral overtop it. Very hard for me to name the notes in this; I just get the herbal-floral blend. Sorry to be so limited in this one!

Overall: Herbal scent, not one I'll want to return to, probably, but pleasant.

This is so nice and grassy at first.. but on me it dries down to a strong, sweet, almost powder-y musk- blech. Coyote did the same thing, so I can see the comparisons.

Edited by anardana

Wow. I can't put this one down!

Now, I have to say that I tested this one briefly when I first got it and liked it right away, but this was the first time I had spent any real time with it. I was testing the ones from my last batch that I thought might be masculine (might as well keep it in 'families' to keep my head from being totally screwed up...).

I had just tested Fenris Wolf and washed it off because something I'm guessing was the rosewood was too much for me and it was too masculine on top of that - something else I tested with rosewood screamed at me, too - and I was kind of bummed because I'd really wanted Fenris to work.

So I tried on Robin.

Robin works. Really well. :P

In the imp. Moss!

Wet - Moss and greenery. Then more woods. I'm wondering where the musk is at. The brighter green must be the ragwort. There's no sage or heather yet. It walks right up to masculine at this point, but doesn't quite cross the line.

As it dries more, the musk comes out and sweetens everything, moss recedes, ragwort virtually disappears and I can smell the sage and heather. They are awesome together. It ceases to seem masculine because musk is sweet, and this is a delicious dark musk. The heather is a soft floral that makes me look for it.

I get wafts of moss and heather and sage, but at the skin it is no longer green, all musk and wood. Then later I get more dry moss on the skin...

It really does morph in the most amazing ways.

I want to put it on again, and start over! :D

The dry stage is sweet and pleasant and seems to last a while, but it's hard to tell how long it lasts when I am so tempted to dot a tiny bit more.

It's really fascinating, and I love all the stages of it. If I decide this is one I like all the time, this decant will never last!

Lovely! Absolutely lovely! Sweet, soft moss in a better dose of it than I've ever gotten from a BPAL blend. I don't think I've noticed the musk as much (partly because I have Satyr on the other arm) but after an hour it's started coming into the foreground. I really like this!! Maybe not bottle-worthy, but this imp isn't going anywhere :P

In the imp: Rich. Kind of sweet. Patchouli? And moss. Oh no, is that the same moss I remember from Crossroads, the one that made my sinuses scream with agony? Hm. Mayyyybe not. Whiffing the vial again, some herbal scents curl up, but sweet ones, not sharp or medicinal.

On skin: The moss recedes, and pale woods emerge, maybe bark, sweeter, and almost floral. There *is* a note in common with Crossroads here, but it's smoother, sweeter, I almost think the throw has a fruitiness or floweriness to it.

After 5 minutes the pale woods recede again and what's left is interesting: like a very expensive classic perfume. I'm not sure it's for me, but it might be hot on Mr O.

Annnnnnd OH NO MR BILL here's the moss again and my sinuses are twitching and yes, yes, it's the same stuff as Crossroads, wash it off wash it off wash it off.

Damn.

Musk, musk, MUSK and what smells like the undergrowth of a forest. Dank and earthy. Not working on me.

which is exactly what I needed. I took a shot at this at the recommendation of a friend....simply wonderful. I enjoy dark,woodsy scents.

Robin Goodfellow

This was a frimp from the Lab... I definitely wouldn't have chosen it for myself, based on the notes. On my skin, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a *sweet* green mossy scent. I don't know what I was so afraid of. This is really well suited to the character and I like it quite a bit, though I tend to shy away from anything that seems so earthy (on paper). The heather gives it such a lovely, light airiness. Beautiful!

Ok, this is a little weird. But I swear this went soapy on me. I have no idea why. The whole experience of this blend was a little odd for me. It started off rather disjointed, as if all of the parts were vying for the foreground. And then about 5 minutes in the whole scent just plain disappeared, kind of like the eye of the storm, but in a perfume version. And the about 1/2 hour in the moss and woods came out, but with a really soapy overtone to the whole thing. It's not overly pleasant on me. I have no idea what my skin did to this one, but I'll be passing it on to someone who's chemistry isn't quite so full of the wonk.

This was a lab frimp-not something I would have ever picked out for myself.

In the imp I get that very dark musk, dark woods, a kind of viney scent, and a touch of sage. Very deep and earthy.

Hmm, you know, i'm a bit surprised this blend isn't more popular. Earthy/woody isn't really my thing, but this is very nice on my skin-rich deep dark woods, which are tempered by the moss, deep musk, and that littlest touch of sage make this a really gorgeous blend! The mix of moss and musk really keep the woods from going too..er...woody *snicker*

On full drydown though, this blend kind of loses it's Oomph and Wow factor. Goes to a rather sweet powdery soft woodsy scent-too powdery for me, but I am going to blame my skin chemistry for that ]: I just don't do well with woods. That said, I would HIGHLY recommend trying this out if you like rich, earthy, woody blends. This is gorgeous and underrated imho!

Oh, Robin Goodfellow. I had such high hopes for you. I played Puck in high school, so I really wanted this scent to work on me. In the wet stage, it was perfect. Lots of heather and moss-covered wood, with a bit of ragwort and just the barest hint of musk in the background. I fell in love. Then it dried. The dark musk took over completely and my perfect scent was gone. :smite: dark musk! Everytime. I gave it to a friend who loves it more than me. :sigh:

Vial: Very men's cologney, hard to tell what's what for me.

On: On me, Robin turns into a deep, mossy green. There seems to be a slight undercurrent of soap, but for now, it's in check. It seems to stay checked by the greenery drying down. This is what I was hoping "Yggdrasil" would be like - a beautiful green forest to wander around in.

Later: Woody, powdery. I like it enough to keep the imp around. Not sure if I want more.