Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Thunder Moon

This is the scent of a summer storm: thick black clouds pass over this full moon, the Goddess roars, and Her Beloved hurls his forked bolts of lightning in the distant sky. Ozone deepened by liquid amber, and a spray of hot nighttime rain mingled with the scent of lightning-struck wood, water-soaked summer blooms, and sun-scorched grass.

straight sniff from imp is me standing in a soaking rainstorm wearing djinn! yum!! :D
although this is unisex i find it absolutely elegant!! ginormous throw; if a real/true thunderstorm
could be bottled, this is it...much love!! amen to the lovely forumite who will be providing me
with a big bottle :P

Thunder Moon

In the imp: sharply ozonic, but not in the 'yikes' way I anticipated, this is more of a 'stormy sea' scent, waves whipped up by a thunderstorm. It has the potential to soap out or go scarily electric on me.

Wet on skin: fresh ozone and rain, but also a lot of manly cologne.

Dry on skin: hmm, actually this isn't bad. This isn't the 'thunderstorm of doom' scent I feared, but a fresh, bracing scent of sea spray and salty ozone and cool rain with grassy notes, white flowers, green woods and a hint of amber. There's also a hint of moss and musk. I smell rain soaked coastal forests here, and humidity contrasting with cool winds. There's a little hint of electricity crackling about but it's distant lightning, it's not turning into that horrid 'electrical appliances' scent that I get from ozone scents. This also smells like a sporty man's perfume, which I was expecting (Lightning had a similar feel), but it's not bad.

After a while: this suddenly turns very salty. It is like standing by the coast watching a storm as the waves strike the shore sending spray into the air. A hint of smoke wafts past-from a lightning struck tree perhaps? There's the smell of pine and moss, the air crackles with energy and the wind freshens. This was what I thought Thunderbird would be like. This still smells like aftershave, very masculine and with lots of presense, it seems like it would be the scent of a man who loves the great outdoors, an adventurer. I have a feeling this scent would suit my dad-he's an adventurer who loves thunderstorms and was nearly struck by lightning twice (and that includes almost being hit by uber-rare, still unexplained by science, ball lightning!)

As the scent goes into it's more ozonic drydown, mossy rained on soil with crackling lightning, the freakiest thing happens. A thunderstorm suddenly springs up out of nowhere-and it's one of the worst we've had this year! (not as bad as the one with the hail that hit South London, but pretty dramatic) lots of thunder and lightning and tons of rain. Could be a kwinkidink, but there were no storms forecast as far as I know. Now this makes me a little bit superstitious, not to mention very scared! That clinches it-this scent is never being worn by me again! (runs and hides under duvet)

Sadly, the way my skin screws around with ozone means this scent doesn't have that lovely post-storm scent of fresh air, rained on soil and dripping plants that I am currently smelling from outside…just a generic manly perfume with a touch of that ozone smell from office appliances. It's not as bad as Tempest or Lightning though.

Verdict: scent wise, this scent is one of the nicer thundery scents out there. There's ozone, but it doesn't turn to 'office ozone of doom'. It smells fresh and outdoorsy and cool, a really powerful man's scent. If Thor or Zeus had a scent, he'd smell something like this. It smells like being on the coast by a big evergreen forest as a storm rages, lightning flashes and rain falls, the wind whips up the sea and the smell of the trees surrounds you as the humidity lifts. At the same time, it smells like men's 'sport' cologne or deodorant, a good quality man's scent, but much too manly for me to pull off. But that's not all. Yet again, Beth works her magic. It's almost as though this scent is a potion that really does manipulate the weather, or a real bottled storm. Sure, this is English weather and these things happen a lot at this time of year with global warming and all, but I can't help but wonder…because soon after wearing this, a sudden, totally unexpected thunderstorm occurs, a big one too. The sky explodes and heavens open. It makes me even more respectful of BPAL oils-it seems some of these have magic in them in the same way as TALs do. That being said, I hate thunderstorms and after this experience, I'm much too scared to ever wear this scent any more! And even so, it's a really masculine scent on me. I knew I wouldn't like it, so off to swaps this goes!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No! Get it away from me! (hides under the duvet again)

If you like this, try: Lightning, Tempest, Pool of Tears, Kataniya, House of Mirrors

In the bottle, I found this rather ozone-y. Then I put it on...

The first smell I got when it was wet, believe it or not, was something like a mellower lemon pledge! It was lemony but with a different undertone.

Then it dried and mmmmm.... Mostly amber, all warm and wonderful, with a hint of some sort of spicy smelling flower and a touch of woodiness. I was a bit disappointed that there was NO ozone....

but by about half an hour into it, i was feeling so warm and cozy from the way it had mellowed into my body chemistry, I loved it. Couldn't stop sniffing at myself ALL DAY. And then, after about 40 minutes, I noticed something interesting. I would sniff my wrist and then... along with the lovely warmth... well, this will probably sound crazy, but I could taste the ozone. I got this lightly metallic/stone flavor in the back of my mouth when I smelled.

So far, of everything I've tried (Admittedly not much), this is my favorite by far.

Bottle: Metallic ozone. This screams dept-store preppy boy cologne to me. Which is not a bad thing, of course, but not something I wanna smell like.

Wet: Yes, definitely ozone. Maybe a hint of citrus. Its a nice scent, sweet, clean and rivetingly rainy fresh, but its still preppy-boy smelling to me.

Drying: As this dries, I lose a lot of the overtly dept store boy scent. The amber comes out a bit more, and oddly enough, I feel like there is a bit of spiciness in the background. Maybe its the scorched woods....Given several hours I lose the rainy/ozone feel entirely and smell a lot more of the scorched grass/wood(blonde) and amber (slightly powdery).

Overall: This is a great portrayal of the thunder storm. At the start is ozone and rain, middle the rain tapers off and at the end you're left with the after-scent of clean woods newly rained upon. Very cool. Not a scent I'd wear regularly, however, being a spice/food/musk kinda gal. :P

Edited by jewelbug

I loved Thunderbird and mourned it's passing into the mist of obscurity. I was hoping for something with a similar feel in Thunder Moon. And hoping for the best, I ordered two bottles.

Wow! I'm glad I did and I almost wish that I'd gone for three so I could gift decants of this out to some of my favorite men.

This is for me, a very masculine kind of oil. Not that this will stop me from wearing it because what it ends like smelling like is ... I was rubbing against a nice smelling man in the middle of a thunderstorm. And there's nothing bad about that! This is ozone and that 'clean' feeling of the air after the rains, and along with all that, something that smells to me like a very good men's cologne (I didn't get the 'cheap department store' that some people did).

What makes it even better is that over time, the cologne dries down and fades out and I get all storm, all the time. This has a decent throw and is fairly long-lasting, which is a Good Thing .

Overall, absolutely a winner. Not Thunderbird, but still a gorgeous storm scent that I'm quite happily to have some of to wear and share. :P

In the vial: watery amber, grass and ozone. With a touch of florals.

On the skin: It's hard to tell anything different then what I've already listed; I tried it once before and it had almost a musk quality to it, in a good way. It smells a lot like the Oregon coast after a storm, honestly. The florals and the fact that it's an aquatic don't bother me and I find I like wearing this one. Not heavy throw, just enough.

Bottle: Wet and rainy

Wet: Aie.. ok.. sort of Irish Springy.. *eyes it worriedly*

Drydown: Irish Spring, with a slightly smokeyhazey quality to it.

Dry: It stays Irish Spring for a bit, but eventually comes down to more of a wet forest smell. Hooray!

Verdict: Keeping, but not buying more. Have to wait at least half an hour to get to the good part. I do like the good part though!

in the imp: Like a more floral version of the smell right before a rainstorm. mmmm.

on me: Ozone, crushed flowers, a bit of ocean.

after a few mins: marine is gone and the flowers ramp down, making this a near-perfect doppleganger of the "just before a rainstorm" smell

Love, Love, Love!

I didn't originally order this, as I tend to shy away from watery/rainy/aquatic blends.

But damn, but if this is not just a gigantic exception to that rule - this is a gorgeous, cloudy rainswept summer field, warm and grassy with sweet damn florals that behave beautifully. I absolutely adore this.

In the imp I smell cucumber, ozone and water.

Wet, it smells like amber tinged with OZONE - like wearing an nice amber perfume in the middle of a storm.

The ozone backs off as it drys down - becomes more balanced with the amber, but it did have a slight baby powderish to it.

Hrrrm.

This does smell a little like Irish Spring to me. Kinda citrusy and soapy. Some musk in the background too, I think.

This scent is very masculine, although it loses its 'edge' when it dries down a little bit.

It reminds me of Singing Moon after the thundery crash of pharmacy-men's-cologne calms down.

The grass note smells more like sweet hay on me.

This is Singing Moon with more Dude in it, with my chemistry anyway.

It's alright. Doesn't smell anything like a New England thunderstorm, though.

2.8 out of 5

The ozone is clear here, as well as the aquatics. Wet and fresh, with florals coming forward after a few minutes. This is a very typical sort of perfume scent, it reminds me a lot of summer after a thunder storm - warm, heavy, sticky.

I wore this scent a lot over the summer, it was just such a fitting scent. I'm wearing it now, it is winter.. not quite right. Still a lovely scent, but I don't think I could go out wearing this around now. Definietly my scent of choice in the summer though, along with a similar scent Thalassa.

I bought a bottle of this from an auction on eBay because the scent sounded really appealing to me and I thought I was pretty much at the stage of addiction to BPAL where I needed to give the limited edition scents a try. :P That aside, it came in this afternoon and I had to give it a try (especially since my morning scent had already faded away, and whatever was left of it had inevitably been washed off during my afternoon shower).

All I can say is . . . wow. Ozone definitely is the first thing that hits my nose. It hits it so hard that it makes me tongue tingle. After a manner of minutes, the ozone smell starts to fade a bit (tongue still tingling, though . . . no, I didn't lick it! Smells just have a way of affecting my taste sometimes!), but a different smell comes out, this one reminding me of country-side after a rain (most specifically the way my grandmother's farm smelled the morning after it rained, with mist still hanging over the fields). It's a very fresh "rain" smell, and like some other people reviewing this have said, I swear I've smelled a cologne with this scent before. Extremely pleasant scent and even though it's a bit masculine, I'll definitely enjoy the whole bottle!

Rating: 8/10

I can def. smell the water notes here. I usually shy away from anything aquatic, not because I don't like them, but because I feel they're too masculine. Thinking, hmmmmm....water-soaked summer blooms....that might fem it up a bit! And indeed, they do. This is a very nice, clean, soapy smell, but in the same breath - not too soapy, not like I just unwrapped a bar of Irish Spring. I could wear this and feel girly. A keeper!

In Vial: Wow smells like a bar of soap

On Skin: Yes quite soapy, but I like!

Drydown: Smells just like you stepped out of the shower. I really like this one![

In the bottle: Ozone, soapy fresh aquatic notes, and flowers.

Wet: Sweeter, softer - the amber I think. Also sorta piney-woodsy-grassy, in a yummy outdoorsy way. VERY classic masculine scent. The ozone is lighter, but still there. This is not going too soapy, but still has a fresh, clean feel.

Dry: Some sort of heady floral - but then I amp florals - and the amber has amped too. Really, really strong throw.

Summary: Heady white flowers and sweet warm amber and woods. Powerful throw and permanence. It morphs from a distinctly masculine to a somewhat feminine scent.

Initial thoughts: Mwah. I so want this to work on me and smell like hot wet thunderstormy goodness. I'm a tad skeptical of aquatics (They usually only last for about half the total wear of the scent) but there's no reason why it shouldn't be good.

In the bottle: It's a very clear and bright, watery note. There's something of a tingle there that could be green flowers, but it's not 'floral' as such.

On the wrist, wet: The oil's totally clear and very runny - the others are a lot more 'oily' than this, which is very watery. It's a fairly perfumy aquatic at the moment - nothing especially special.

Ten minutes later: Eh. Perfume. This actually smells like, well, perfume - wishy-washy florals with a chemical kick from the ozone. I'm going to let it mature over the day, but I'm not hopeful.

EDIT: Oooh. After about an hour and a half, yes, this is a LOT more interesting. It smells like just after a brief shower on a hot day - overall hot and dry, but briefly and insubstanially wet and green. It's a real skin hugger, though, so although it warrants a second test I'm still not sure if it's 'me'.

Verdict: Dissapointing. May have to swap this one, as unless it morphs into something incredibly in the next hour. EDIT: Definately worthy of a second test.

Tl;Dr: Wet, ozone-y flowers make for a bog-standard commercial perfume. On the drydown, much richer and more interesting - the air on a scorchingly hot day after a brief shower.

Wet and First Applied: Ozone, lots of ozone. Sporty is a great description to this scent.

As this dries the amber comes out and this is just lovely. Flowers too, but they are faint. This is gorgeous at this stage.

The ozone in the opening was a bit much but I love the drydown.

In the bottle all razor sharp ozone and wet white florals.

On my skin the wood and grass notes become more prominent giving it a more unusual feel. The ozone is there but deeper and more foreboding like the calm between storms. The floral is reduced to the barest whisper. The blossoms didn't survive the storm.

After a while the ozone is mostly gone as are the florals. Ambery wet wood and grass is all that remains in the aftermath. Hauntingly beautiful.

Bottle: ozone and rain aquatic. Clean, sharp and crisp.

Wet On Me: more ozone aquatic rain. Almost Masculine in it’s clean and sharp

Drying Down: Have you ever found a scent that on first sniff has you completely under it’s spell? This is it for me. So far this is drying down amazing. Want to test it on the man!

Dry: still this awesome ozone-y rain scent with some clean…mint feeling in the background. This goeson my hoard list. Must have MORE!

It doesn't seem like Thunder Moon gets a lot of love on this board, which is shame, because it's quite nice. Granted, the ozone is a little too cologne-y for my taste, but it doesn't last long, and when it wears off, a beautiful, lush amber blossoms on me. It's gorgeous, and unfortunately I haven't smelled anything similar to it in other BPAL scents. It's sweet, but it has a musky quality that must be the scorched wood. The closest comparison I can make is between this and Mag Mell, but this doesn't smell as green as Mag Mell does to me -- it's more golden. This is a great scent to wear during warm weather. It's cold now, but when I wear this, I can pretend that it's July. At least for a little while.

4/5

I don't really get much ozone out of this one. Wet and in the imp yes, but dry! Dry I get rich, warm amber and the sun-scorched grass. This is golden and does seem to be a night time scent! I love it :P

I'm another person who stays well way from Ozone/Aquatic scents. Selkie is the only one I've found that I've liked so far and Storm moon was just horrible on me.

Still...you learn with BPAL never to judge too quickly coz ya just...never...know!

Anyway, I'm gonna call this perfume the transexual scent..only because it morphs from a somewhat masculine blend when it's wet into a more feminine scent. Which I find interesting.

Yes...there is ozone here when it's wet, but it's not the scary ozone I was expecting at all, it's much softer, slightly zesty and has some flowers behind it. It does smell like a fresh men's aftershave but better. I hate those generic MAN smells. This is a more complex man smell even though it's verging on the change to feminine while drying.

The dry stage is really nice too, it's soft..slightly powdery and definitely more feminine, this is now a floral not an ozone smell and I think I can detect the grassy note slightly. I get absolutely no wood from this at all in any of the stages from wet to dry..

It's on the nicer side of the ozones I've tried, but I wouldn't get a bottle of this, Selkie still kicks ass over this for me.

:P