Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Thunder Moon

This is the scent of a summer storm: thick black clouds pass over this full moon, the Goddess roars, and Her Beloved hurls his forked bolts of lightning in the distant sky. Ozone deepened by liquid amber, and a spray of hot nighttime rain mingled with the scent of lightning-struck wood, water-soaked summer blooms, and sun-scorched grass.

I really wanted to love this, because I adore thunder storms. The amber convinced me to give it a shot since it is my favorite scent. Unfortunately, this smells exactly like 'Vanish' toilet cleanser on my skin. And it takes hours for that to go away and the amber to show up at all. Ozone obviously does not work on me.

In the bottle: is that what ozone smells like?

Wet on skin: There's the briefest second when it hits my skin that it smells like a swollen sky just about to burst with rain and lightning, then that swiftly disappears. (Kind of like threatening thunderstorms, in a way. They always feel just about to pour forth, but then they don't...evil clouds ruining my fun.) I feel like I'm wearing aftershave. Lovely, masculine, cuddly aftershave, but aftershave with intense throw nonetheless. I like it. :D

Dry down 10 mins later: Wait wait wait, where are you going? I *like* the aftershave smell! There's the faintest...lemon?

Another 5 minutes later...15 total: Just the faintest whiff left. :P You've got to be kidding. This smells GORGEOUS. I love this, and it just vanishes?

Well, it's a damn good thing I bought two bottles. MINE. I'll reapply every five minutes if I want!

My rating: 5/5 despite longevity problems, which may or may not be resolved in a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months.

In the bottle - It reminds me of the Aqua Velva Sport that my dad used to wear.

Drydown - Softer. Can a scent be sporty and resiny at the same time?

Four hours later - I'm loving this scent. It's morphed into something reminiscent of the farm; of the smoky smell of hay that's been hit by lightening.

A wonderful and complex (on me, at least) summer scent.

Thunder Moon 2007

Preface: I LOVE :D thunderstorms and a full moon ;) - there was no way I wasn't going to buy this one.

In the Bottle:

Ozone - lots and lots of Ozone!

Ozone actually works on me 95% of the time so I'm excited!

On my Skin, Wet:

More Ozone, but I also smell a little bit of the 'water soaked summer blooms' peeking out now and then - I don't smell any of the wood notes though, nor the grasses.

On my Skin, Dry:

Less Ozone now, more florals and a note that reminds me vaguely of BPAL's Lightning - maybe it's the amber or rain note... :)

Verdict:

Thunder Moon 2007 is a sister to BPAL's Tempest - I have always pictured Lightning as being a 'male' Ozone scent and Tempest being a 'female' Ozone scent....Thunder Moon 2007 is the floral version of Tempest.

I have a 10mL of both Lightning and Tempest so I HAD to get two bottles of Thunder Moon 2007 :D

Wonderful Lunacy Beth!! Thank you so much!!

:P

Wet: Ozone in the face! I love it!

Oh this is good. This is so very very good.

Luscious crisp, clean ozone with all the promise of thunderstorm drama. The dry down is divine as those delicious woods just drift underneath. The barest, faintest touch of floral makes this unisex.

So yummy. It's clean, strong, with a sexy warmth.

Blast and bugger it, I wish I'd ordered a bottle. I will be hoarding this darling imp until I can nab a 5ml.

:P

I went with a half decant of this blend, just because I can't wear BPAL's amber notes and I'm not a fan of ozone. I don't know why, but BPAL has the only ambers I've come across that turn to pure, heavy baby powder and dust on my skin. The amber makes this unbearably dry and powdery for me, and the ozone lends its usual dryer sheet presence. Oddly, this doesn't strike me as aquatic or rainy because it turns so dry on my skin. Thunder Moon smells like dusty dryer sheets on me :P.

I really wanted to like Thunder Moon. I really did. Sadly, right out of the bottle it turns into cleaning fluid, or possibly air freshener (the kind that's supposed to smell like rain.) It would make a nice enough room scent, I think, but it simply doesn't work with my chemistry as perfume.

Bottle: Aw, no. Spilled liquid laundry detergent. Dryer sheets. Fabric softener. Add a lot of heat and some dust and it's my college laundromat days all over again.

Wet: Hm, that's better. Lots and lots of ozone. It's still got a very wet smell to it, heavy, like the air just before a huge storm breaks. Underneath, though, it's dry -- the fields waiting for the clouds to let loose the rain. It's definitely similar to Tempest and Lightning.

Dry: Still waiting for the ozone to cool down. The aquatics are nice, but the ozone is making my nose itch and the longer the ozone sticks around the more I think it smells like detergent.

When I first put it on it smelled extremely masculine. It reminded me a lot of a cologne that young men used to wear in the 80s. It has that sporty, strong scent.

When it's dry, though, it's a little different. It still smells masculine to me, but the ozone isn't nearly as strong and I can smell some of the other notes. It really, honestly, smells like rain. Like when you're standing outside just after it has rained and everything is wet. After quite a while the amber comes out and really rounds out the scent.

I like it a lot, and I'm glad I bought this bottle for my husband.

[ETA]

I am editing my review on 12/3/2012 to add how it smells when it's aged. The best way for me to describe it right now is cottony and watery. It smells like aquatics and fresh linens. Not masculine anymore, but fresh and clean. I still like it.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Ozone, salty aquatics, and amber. That's mostly what I get here... I think I can pick up on the florals too, just barely. I'm not really getting any grass.

This is nice. I grew up in the desert Southwest and this does remind me of the thunderstorms we'd get every summer. There's nothing "cool" about it, to my nose. It's the scent of a hot summer storm, with lots of dust and wind but just a teasing promise of rain.

It reminds me quite a bit of House of Mirrors (as well as Storm Moon), which I expected. I think I like House of Mirrors better. As Thunder Moon dries on my skin, the amber gets a bit too feral for my tastes. Still, I'm not disappointed with this one.

This one is rather unexpected on me- at first on my skin there is a blast of ozone, but it quickly disappears and the scent becomes very resinous with a hint of wood. I can tell that the ozone is still there, lingering in the background, giving the resins and wood a clean edge. There is a touch of saltiness, but it's not overpowering. I must also note that there is NO soapiness in this ozone blend, which is monumental for me! I really really like this one, even if it has a bit of a masculine edge to it. It's very comforting in a way that is hard to explain, but really embodies the feel of a summer thundershower. Wonderful! :P

In the bottle: Bottled Thunderstorm - kinda a cross between those last few seconds before the storm hits when it's silent and the wind's not blowing crossed with how the air feels when a bolt of lighting strikes 50 feet away - it smells like if you give it a shake you'll be in the middle of a storm.

Wet: It's very rainy and cleansing and almost goes soapy, but something stops it. As it dries, something warm emerges in the background, and I can sniff the most subtle florals (and my skin usually amps florals to the point of ruining blends).

The drydown is more of what it smells like outside after the storm has passed. The water on the ground is cool but ground is still warm and the air is cool. It never gets sporty or masculine for me, but it never goes over-the-top ozone either. I'm glad I got a bottle. :P

edits: Man, this scent goes the whole storm.. after a few hours of wear it was florals and just overall kinda blah. I'll give it another wear, but meh @ the final drydown.

Edited by crazyredhead17

I have never before enjoyed an ozone-based scent of any kind. But the amber, grasses, & wood in this convinced me to give it a try anyway. And I'm glad they did!

I can see where people are getting "sporty" from this, I guess, but on me that's just a tiny element of something much better. It really does smell like a summer thunderstorm, damp and invigorating ... The amber gives it lasting power, and together with the grasses & hints of woody florals, really warms it up. I love it! This fills a gap in my Bpal arsenal, and will probably be the only ozone I'll ever need.

Edited by spanishviolet

In the bottle, this is very ozone-y. It smells a lot like those "Mountain Fresh" laundry detergents.

On my skin, there's still a ton of ozone. It moves from Mount Fresh Laundry Detergent into the Land of Zest-fully Clean. I agree with many other reviewers - it's very masculine and bracing. I figured on ozone coming out manly on my skin, but I got a bottle anyway because of the cool label art and a lingering hope that it would be more aquatic.

Verdict: Manly fresh. Nice but not for me. I'll see how it wears on the boyfriend.

I love aquatics.. and just opening this bottle, I KNOW it's going to be so awesomely perfect on me, just like Selkie and Storm Moon. It's sweet crisp ocean air (crisp enough I get an "ice cream headache" *giggles*)

Wet on my skin, it's sweet still, but with slightly woodsy undertones.. and the more it dries the more like woods during a rain storm impression I get.

Dry.. you know what this reminds me of? An older computer game - Kyranthia? I think it was called, and there's a scene with a great stone temple on a cliff, with a small wooded area right behind it.. that's what this reminds me of. It's softer than Storm Moon, with a little of Selkie's neck-ruffling skin (or maybe that's me).

Verdict: LOVE LOVE LOVE Thunder Moon. Brilliant.

This set of lunacies was my chance to try out aquatic scents, because I had no idea how my body would react to them. It turns out I handle them nicely, though Thunder Moon starts off insanely masculine and sporty with me. However, that stage doesn't last long, and it settles into what it smells like outside just after a thunderstorm. Crisp, cool, clear... we just had a thunderstorm yesterday, so the smell is clear in my mind, and Thunder Moon pays awesome tribute to the beauty of a storm, and the period shortly thereafter.

This really does smell like rain...but a hot rain. The type of scent that you can detect when rain hits a hot sidewalk and kind of vaporizes off the surface. Very hazy and strong.

I can see where some might get a masculine vibe from this but it isn't overly so on me. I think of this as being a very confident scent. It's a kind of cologne/perfume blend in that I can't pick out the notes easily. There is a bit of something woody or resinous as it dries, but mostly it's just a smoothly blended rain scent.

This is the only ozone blend I have tried that doesn't smell metallic or extremely sharp on my skin. I am glad I bought a bottle of this!

In the imp: Almost pure ozone.

Wet: Ozone and wet grasses -- not a cool wet, a hot wet. (What an advanced vocabulary you have today, milady!)

Drydown: The dominant ozone note hangs around for ages, with something like lemongrass near it. It takes a good bit of the blend's wear time for any other note to even be detectable. When that happens, I get a wonderful hint of the Lab's "dirt" note; a salty aquatic layer, rather briefly; and, finally, the amber, unusually clean-smelling in this context. I'm not getting any of the woods here.

As others have commented, there's amazing throw and staying power for a scent in this category. I'm still a bit on the fence with regard to this one; I can see the points of view of both those who find it annoyingly sporty or detergent-like and those who find it quite evocative. I think there's a long middle stage in the drydown that could go either way, depending on your skin chemistry, time of hormonal phase, and even mood. You could wear this out in public when you weren't trying to seduce someone or preside at a ritual, definitely, but it's also not a scent I'd wear randomly; it has too much presence for that.

In the bottle: full blown men's aftershave, oh my :/ Incredibly strong.

Wet: it's still masculine, but less strong than in the bottle. There's definitely a wet and metallic note coming through which I both like.

Dry: this dries down to a rather intricate amber, it's really quite nice. Overall the scent doesn't last that long on me, but something about it really appeals to me.

In the imp: Ozone!

On Skin: Ozone explosion. It smells almost a little too masculine.

On Drydown: After about half an hour the ozone just about vanishes and I'm left with a mildly aquatic floral that has a masculine edge.

Verdict: It's like a masculine version of Tempest for me. Pretty but I already know this won't be up the hubby's style.

I think this is the first aquatic I have tried.

I'm undecided on it. It smells nice until I put my nose close to it, then something comes up that irritates my nose. Too much grass in it too. This one is all ozone, grass, and slight floral on me. It may be a swap. :P

In the bottle and immediately on: WOAH dryer sheets! Yup, this definitely brings storm moon to mind! Bright, effervescent, clean!

20 min later and 15 hours later: anyone else getting a Buck Moon vibe from this one...? kind of a soft, clean woodsy, hint-of-citrus kinda scent? I'm not that great at smelling musks so I can't tell if has any, but without being able to dig through my imps at the moment for a comparison this really reminds me of Buck Moon. It lingers, hoo boy! Very, very pretty. I bought this on a whim and am very glad I did.

I first got an imp of Thunder Moon thinking it would be something I'd like. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me, but I knew it was something my sister would love. So I ordered it and I was right...sort of.

It starts out clean smelling and aquatic smelling, my sister loved it. But after an hour or two, it turned into something that reminded my sister of our dad. And she does not want to smell like him. Kind of an overwhelmingly masculine cologne or something. After sleeping on it, literally, it morphed into a softer mellower mix of the first two stages and she was head over heels for it again. I guess it's a good thing Thunder Moon has incredible staying power.

Name: Thunder Moon

Bottle: Ozone and wild flowers - cleaning fluid strength!

Wet: Still a strong clean scent of ozone & wild flowers

Dry: This turns really nice on me; the amber emerges, and a somewhat smokey scent smolders of ozone with the wildflowers.

Furthermore: The feeling of the drydown - which is lasting - is the minutes after a lightening bolt has struck a rocky cliff of grasses & wildflowers.

Love it - and the t-shirt rocks!