Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Cardinal Water: the essence of feeling.
Wild lettuce, wild pear, chamomile, germanica orris, sweet pea, and mallow.

In the imp: A light sweet floral. Smells pink to me.

On the wrist: Very much a pink floral, which is the only sort of floral that ever works on me. I'm getting the pear too, I would say this is primarily sweet pea and pear at the moment. I love this...

Drydown: Alas, something in here went funky and I ended up with a slightly powdery something. *shrug* Oh well, I'll swap it I guess.

ETA: Lab description. Edited by Shollin

in imp: Hmmm very sweet and floral. Sweet pea and other light, sweet, pink and purple florals, there's also a more watery note which I think is the lettuce

on me:lettuce and pear with a bit of sweet pea, the florals have desweetened a bit, which I'm liking.

after a few mins: This warms up a lot and blends very nicely. This makes me feel so womanly and sophisticated.

overall: I always knew I should have been a Cancer! :-P This is a great, light, feminine scent, has great throw, which most scents don't have with me, and oodles of staying power.

In the imp this smells like water-drenched sweet pea. On me, I seem to pick up the pear - and it morphs into the essence of cool water - cucumber and mallow and sweet pea just drenched in a cool crisp water scent.

I have high hopes for this one as I liked sweet pea in all the other blends I’ve tried where it has been a component. A gentle, clean-scented floral, reminiscent of Poisson d’Avril but with less notes, and greener. Almost slightly aquatic. I get a touch of something fruity but it doesn’t seem to be wild pear though jolly well could be! What a perfect springtime blend, very refreshing and not too floral. Would also be excellent on a man as it does have a faint cologne touch to it – like the old fashioned toilet waters. I think I prefer more floral, perfumey blends than this but might retest imp though goodness knows I’ve many others I need to try for the first time! It’s gone in about an hour or so, a bit of a shame.

I bought this from a lovely forumite. I haven't really been into the astrological oils at all but I figured I should have the oil for my sun sign as a part of my growing collection.

In the bottle this has virtually no scent to me other than generic (and very faint) aquatic.

Wet: a brief moment of something terribly nasty--just a flash--and then this scent became strikingly herbal. I think that must be the wild lettuce, chamomile and mallow. What the hell does mallow smell like anyway?

Drydown: herbal floral. I smell nothing that I think of as "watery" at all.

I don't think this will become my new favorite scent but I'll certainly keep this and use it, at the very least, around midsummer.

Crazy little scent, this...

I tested it first on my left wrist to confirm that I liked it. Wet on my left wrist, I thought it smelled weirdly salty. When it dried pleasantly I applied it to my right wrist, and when it was wet it smelled weirdly laundry-detergenty.

Well, okay, so the wet stage is bizarre and unpredictable. What it dries down to (on both wrists), however, is a rather sharp green-and-white floral that reminds me of lily-of-the-valley. I can detect a little bit of nose-tickling orris in there. Sweet pea does *not* dominate the blend as it sometimes can. I'd expected it to be rather fruity from the pear, but it's not - it is a very intense floral with a rather oceanic feel to it (that saltiness I mentioned earlier?) and the forumite I swapped it from said that it gave her migraines. I can imagine it doing that! For an early spring floral though it's very appropriate (and yes, here in Florida we are having spring now, more or less).

bottle: sweet pea and chamomile, so soft and pretty.

wet: the pear adds a wonderful sweetness and mixed with the sweet pea this is like a nice bath scent... except i don't have to soak for an hour to smell like it. i also get the occasional hint of the lettuce but it is just a soft, watery scent.

dry: this is all sweet pea and soft florals. i love sweet pea to begin with so this is just wonderful in my book.

In the bottle: Fresh, light, citrusy-sweet aquatic.

Wet: Sweeter, more floral, still quite light and citrusy. Chamomile and sweet pea are dominant.

Dry: It's becoming more planty, a little soapy, and the orris has emerged, but very faintly - bearably, in my case. It's now smelling salty - beachy! Wow! Very appropriate. And a bit like suntan lotion, too.

Summary: A very soothing, gentle planty-aquatic. Nice, but not quite me despite my Cancer rising.

In Bottle: Smells a little like a menthol cough drop

On Skin: Lightly sweet. I can smell the greeness of the lettuce and the juiciness of the pear. The sweet pea causes this to become quite sweet. Whoa! This is getting stronger and more floral.

Later: This has turned into a unique floral perfume. I'm not sure if it is the lettuce or the pear that gives it the crisp garden scent or maybe both together, but its a nice variation to the usual, overdone, commercial floral.

Edited by gchris

Cancer 2007, my dear, you are quite the changeable scent and I enjoy every second of your many phases!

Fresh and green in the imp, sweet and floral when wet, aquatic and cooling on drydown and refreshingly flowery once you start to fade... seriously, how do you do that?

Add to this a surprising staying power for such a light scent (I can still smell it after 12 hours!) and you have a winning combination in my book!

I loved the original Cancer and was sad to see it go but this new interpretation is a more-than-worthy replacement. Keeper, I say!

I want to say watery, but there's nothing weak or anemic about this. Rather, it's aquatic, with a snap that is presumably the lemon.

As a Cancer Rising, I feel quite content in wearing this :P

Whatever it is, this smells like heaven to me (maybe because I'm a Cancer?). I think it's the chamomile though. Soft, slightly herbal, a little watery and calming and crisp. Soft and flowing. I LOVE this. Must have bottle! 5/5!

Edit: Have a bottle now, absolutely love it. Perfect for summer wear...sooo soft with enough of an edge to it to be noticed but not to be cloying or overly perfumey. This is pure win!

Edited by writergal969

Cancer is the beautiful sweet, fresh green scent I hoped it would be! Yay :P Not too much sweet pea that has turned me off in other blends. Mostly the sweet, watery lettuce with a gentle floral background. Refreshing and calming. Glad I have a bottle!

Cancer is thick and soft, almost... pillowy (if scent had texture anyway). Overall, it's a greenhouse sort of smell: pampered, dewey plants and some shy florals in the background. There's also a vein of fresh water running through the scent that I catch every once in awhile. I think I can mostly pick out the lettuce and chamomile notes, and they're both really lovely. I wish I could discern the wild pear, but I'll get over it.

Really pleasant, unassuming and calming oil.

Edited by Aldercy

Wet: Sweet and floral.

First on: The lettuce is making this a little sharp, but it's still mostly sweet pea and chamomile.

Dry: Like tea and salad.

Bottle: Sweet Pea, pear, and lettuce! I'm so glad this isn't just another generic aquatic meant to placate the Crab

Wet: Chamomille and sweet pea. Something oddly flat, too, but it's filling out already as it dries.

Drydown: Very light and sweet floral. I think it's the lettuce keeping this from getting too cloying, but it's a very soft and sweet smell. Very calming to me

Overall: This scent is such a sweetie! I know that's an odd choice of words, but it's a light, fluffy, calm feeling. You just want to give it a hug. I love having something soft and comforting in my BPAL stable so I'm very glad to have this bottle :)

Cancer 2007

I have to laugh that my review is following CynicalPink's, since I found Cancer to be... sort of generically aquatic. Not in a bad way, just in a cool, watery way. I couldn't pick out any notes at all, I just got a calm... wateryness.

1236474900_ANMfF-Ti.jpg

Soft, fluid (though not watery), just the slightest hint of an edge: that's what struck me about Cancer when I applied it this morning. The wild lettuce and pear notes seem to be dominate on me, with the others playing mere supporting roles. My personal notes on this blend were that it seemed plastic-y on me, but in the intervening time since I wore it last, either the age of the blend or the changing of my skin chemistry redeems this scent completely. It's lovely, cool and refreshing; and on a 98° day on the delta, coolness is a blessing. The slight floral notes don't really do much in this blend except help give a bit of texture to the lettuce/pear salad. I really like this! 3 of 5 stars.

Edited by stellans

Got this imp in a swap in 07, and never got around to trying it:

It doesn't morph very much although it's become softer over the hour it's been on. I would describe it as "generic drugstore floral" sans rose. It's definitely floral, perhaps with a slightly spring-green edge. It's strong and has reasonable throw--it's not like other scents that just hover near the skin. It's powdery, but doesn't smell like baby powder, which is often my concern with soft florals.

I think I'm swapping it, it's just too generic for me.

Cancer is my rising sign and when I came across a bottle for sale on the forum I knew I wanted to try it. Florals are not normally my favorites but I do really love green/herbal scents, I generally stay away from anything described as aquatic because they smell like soap to me. That said, Cancer is a BEAUTIFUL aquatic floral blend and I'm really happy to have a bottle.

In the bottle - it smells kind of boring. A little floral, something kind of sharp.

On my skin - WOW! It comes to life on my skin creating an intoxicating aura of beautiful flowers and a light green fruity scent. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. I put a little on then opened the bottle and dabbed more on my neck and chest. There's a depth to this scent that surpasses my ability to describe it. I've smelled other fruity florals and I could detect the notes that created the fruit element or the floral element, but Cancer isn't so obvious - it just comes across as a beautifuly blended sweet, green, clean scent that's not soapy and not cloying. Love it!

Bottle: I think I smell the lettuce, and a hint of the lab's sweet pea and pear notes. Also, something weirdly reminiscent of commercial frozen cookie dough.

Wet: The sweet pea ramps up, but there's something weird here. That same cookie dough smell now more like playdough.

Drydown: Maybe that playdough smell is frankincense? I don't know, it smells like wet bread.

Dry: Sweet pea and weirdly spicy wet bread.

My rating: 2/5

A very sweetly aquatic floral. I get almost a cotton candy vibe for awhile, which is kinda weird mixed with the aquatic nature of this blend. After awhile into drydown, the cotton candy goes away and the scent is more reed-ish in nature, which is nice.

Sadly pretty standard on me. :( I think I had worked this up in my head to something it didn't deliver on my skin.

During most of it's life, it tends to just smell like watered down sweet pea. Almost genetic floral.

In the bottle, however, it has a lot more life, and a denser, green smelling centre to it. <3

Would probably go wonderfully on a stinking hot day, but I'll keep mine for locket usage, as the bottle scent is so much more complex than what my skin supplies me with.

I took a chance on a bottle of this when it appeared on the lab's Etsy, because Cancers are wild for stuff targeted at their sign (no? just me? okay). I'm so glad I did now that I have it on. Like the 2016 version it's sweet and gives the feeling of a moonlit night to me--the sweetness is soft and cool, and it all blends together perfectly. Sweet pea is one of my favorite flowers ever, so I'm in heaven sniffing this here. There's also a definite sweet softness from the mallow note, and I think I even smell the pear and lettuce. There's a greenness to this that really resonates with me; it's not just a sweet floral. Like others have said, it seems sweet and soft but underneath there's a complexity to it, which feels perfect. I'll treasure my bottle.

Fresh, green - but gently so, slightly aquatic but just short of soapy. It makes me think of pale aqua. Both Cancers have a paleness to the scent, a luminescence similar to lunacies I've smelled. This becomes a gentle, powdery sweet skin scent on me. This will be nice for sleeping or for quiet days in the heat of summer, but it also smells very spring appropriate.