Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Laivine

BPAL for fancy, elegant and formal occasions

I know Snake Oil is always a head-turner (nose-turner?) and I do love it...however in late feb, I'm going to my first like BIG deal party and I'd love to have a smell that just makes people buzz. I'm seriously not a big attention whore in real life, but I want this to be a night to remember.

Is there something that you all think would fit? Debauchery mixed with a little bit of sweetness and gentleness, I'm considering. I'm thinking Spellbound but I'm more than willing to place a new order to snatch something else up.

Umbra got lots of attention at my last diner...

Also Loviatar is a beautiful scent.

My wonderful cousin is getting married in March to a wealthy Manhattanite. It's going to be an evening wedding at the Central Park Boathouse, very formal. I haven't bought a dress yet, but I'm planning on getting a simple, tasteful evening gown, probably in dark blue or purple. High-society New York weddings are SO out of this New Hampshire girl's league, and to be honest I'm not looking forward to it. What can I say? I'm a hardcore Red Sox fan and have the healthy dislike for New York and New Yorkers that comes from being born in and raised near Boston (no offense to any New Yorkers out there, some of you are lovely people, but you know what I mean).

So, what scent should I wear?

So, what scent should I wear?

Heh. What have you got? :D

Something nice and elegant like Rose Red could work, if that's the statement you're looking to make.

Unless you want to be controversial and wear something like Shill. :P

I wear Dorian to almost all my weddings--i really think of it as cheerful, sexy and classy all at once. That said, i just tried the hamptons last night, and its quite an effervescent classy smelling scent. And well, it just sounds rich, doesn't it?

Hmm. This largely depends on your taste in scents, I think. It also depends on whether you want to come across as sophisticated/sedate, sophisticated/subtle, sophisticated/sexy etc. Maybe I'm overanalyzing. :P

If you're looking for a light scent, I'd go with Kitsune-Tsuki, The Ghost or London. If you'd like something that leaves a little more of an impression without being heavy, I'd reccomend Dorian, Antique Lace or Tiger Lily. Of course, if you're looking for one of those, "What are you wearing? " perfumes, I'd have to suggest The Great Sword of War and Silentium Amoris. They're both distinctive that smell expensive and sophisticated. :D

Ooh, how about Swank? 'Cuz the name just sounds cool...seriously, though, it could work. Also, I think Black Opal smells really expensive. Some other ones that might be good: Belle Epoque, Versailles, Empyreal Mist? A rose scent might be lovely, too, if you like those. My favorites are Lucy's Kiss and London (going with non-LE options). Hey, whatever you choose, enjoy it! Get yourself a fabulous dress, sit back, and just watch the show. It'll be an entertaining evening, if nothing else. You'll probably get to sample some awesome food and drink!

LadyWilde, since I share your attitude towards required hoity-toity behavior and I can be a brat, I'd probably get a great dress, even greater shoes and put in an order for Smut from the Valentine's update, so I could go smelling like Smut. Teeheehee. :P

But a little more seriously, I think Dana O'Shee is a lovely, but unobtrusive fragrance. I also agree with a couple of earlier suggestions -- I think Black Opal is elegant and more traditionally perfumey, but it has a little edge to it. (I have two imps of it, PM me if you're interested and I'd be happy to give one to you.) And while I haven't smelled The Hamptons, the fact that it smells like a Cosmopolitan might be too perfect!

Good luck and have fun picking a scent... look at it this way, you have a great excuse to try even more even BPAL!!

valentina

Edited by valentina

I thought Versailles was extremely expensive smelling and elegant. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to it, but it was lovely for the day I suffered through the allergy attack.... It would have been my dress-up perfume had it not made my nose run off my face.

And you can never go wrong, IMO, with Dorian, Snake Oil or Antique Lace.

I'm going to second the nomination for Xiuhtecuhtli. It's a bit pricey smelling in my opinion, and sexy but classy - I think it could work well for that kind of event (of course, I wear it on a daily basis heh).

Or, you might want to go in the opposite direction and pick something rather understated and yet classic - like perhaps Alice?

Evening Star (from DiMV) is supposedly really classy and cool/sophisticated/etc.

Dreamland (from DiMV) is very romantic-floral, like a super gorgeous version on Marc by Marc Jacobs.

Snow White I guess would smell delicate and understated on the right skin (on me it smells kind of like plastic). Antique Lace is a smooth vanilla but a cool, not warm vanilla.

Basically all the less-spicy roses (Rose Red, Peacock Queen, Pride, London, Moon Rose) would fall into the classy, sophisticated group.

If you like soft florals, Juliet is light and pretty.

Oh! And Stardust. Very glam!

Edited by faifai

Because you're going to be in a semi-outdoor waterside venue, I'd suggest Prague. It's watery-floral, subtle and sophisticated, romantic and evocative, and everyone I know who has smelled it loves it.

Edit: Oops, I just noticed you said this was in March, so the outdoor/waterside aspect isn't quite the same as in summer. Nevertheless, Prague will remind people of spring! :P

Edited by oakmoss

LadyWilde, since I share your attitude towards required hoity-toity behavior and I can be a brat, I'd probably get a great dress, even greater shoes and put in an order for Smut from the Valentine's update, so I could go smelling like Smut. Teeheehee. :P

Now there's an idea. I wish the notes in Smut were more appealing to me, but maybe I'll wear something like Loviatar:

"What a lovely scent you're wearing. What is it called?"

"Loviatar, from the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. She's the patron goddess of dominatrixes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the coat room to meet your nephew."

I wish I liked Black Opal more, but it goes very powdery-sweet on me. I'm considering Lorelei, and I think I'll get an imp of Versailles (which sounds amazing. . .I love amber) and one of Xiuhtecuhtli and The Hamptons.

Thanks for the great suggestions. . .keep 'em coming! :D

"What a lovely scent you're wearing. What is it called?"

"Loviatar, from the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. She's the patron goddess of dominatrixes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the coat room to meet your nephew."

:P

If you like amber, have you tried Aglaea? It's three ambers, peach wine, bright musk and myrtle. I'm pretty sensitive to musk and it doesn't stink up the blend on me, so it might work on you, even if you're not a musk fan. And it's got the peach wine effervescence with the warmth of amber. It might make someone's nephew want to nibble your neck in the coat room... :D

valentina

I'd suggest Bastet, very warm, golden and exotic. To me it's the scent of a woman who is sure of herself and very sexy with a lot of class.