Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Laivine

BPAL for fancy, elegant and formal occasions

>modern, elegant, unfussy and a little carefree

And this, to me, says Manhattan.

My favourite grown-up, elegant, sophisticated scent is Bon Vivant. It smells very similar to YSL Yvresse (used to be called Champagne).

I'm looking for some suggestions of what BPAL to wear to my sister's wedding on Saturday. I am one of the bridesmaids, wearing a long red dress. It will be a fairly stressful day - my sister & I are not really close, and I'm kind of dreading the whole day, so I'd rather not have anything too sharp. Here's a link to what I have.

Thanks in advance!!

Lyonesse is my top go-to scent for formal occasions ... the last time I wore it was to an upscale wedding.

Other things I'd wear/have worn (not looking at your list here) would be Khrysee or Polyhymnia. Voyeurs Among The Cherry Blossoms would probably work pretty well, too.

I'd say either Bastet, classy, fits well with formal and lasts or Snow white as I find it a pretty and comforting scent. Rose red would also be nice if you don't find it too sharp. Or if you are really dreading the whole thing Aunt Caroline might be good. Or maybe put some of that on a tissue and sniff it when you need a boost and wear one of the others for fragrance purposes.

Good luck.

when I look at the dress, Rose Red is all I can think of... maybe I'll wear it (Rose Red) today to try it out. I LOVE Bastet... it's one of my faves, definitely a comfort scent, so that might work too. Hmmm, I've never even tried on Aunt Caroline's - that's a good idea too - thanks!!

I actually ended up wearing Bastet. I opened several this morning, and when I got to Bastet, it just felt right... Thanks so much for all the suggestions! :D

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to wear to a wedding in a few weeks?

The wedding is on a boat followed by a reception at this place. The dress code is cocktail. I'm wearing a flowing low cut long black layered top and black pants (the not wearing black at weddings thing really isn't followed here at all. Last wedding I went to 75% of females were), and a floaty pink scarf. I don't know the groom's family but I'm very close with the bride's entire family so I can pretty well guarantee that no matter how formal or fancy anything appears the atmosphere will be very relaxed.

It will be early autumn here and likely to still be warm, which makes me start having second thought about the majority of my collection as I naturally gravitate towards the warm/musky/spicey/resinous scents. Also the ceremony is at 2:30pm so I need something that will work for afternoon and night and last that long. I want something that's sexy - or rather sultry - but not too heavy. This immediately counts out most of my lighter scents - much as I love Kumiho, Lampades, White Rabbit etc I wouldn't say they're sexy or sultry!

So far I'm seriously considering:

Snake Oil - the stand by, but I wore this to the last wedding (which was the bride's brother's wedding)

Hunter Moon - my number one Bpal but it doesn't last long on my skin

Snake Charmer - possibly winning (today at least).

Intrigue - probably a bit heavy for the day part, especially for the first 30 minutes or so as the throw is overwhelming. Also not sure I want anything quite so incensey. However the feel of it is definitely what I'm after.

Havana - keep going back to this one too

Scherezade - and this one, especially as this along with Snake Oil is the one I get complimented on the most. However I'm probably going to wear it the night before.

Zephyr - I only have an imp of this but I wore it a week or so ago for the first time since I tested it and it's gone on the list now too.

Because most people have to travel for the wedding (in my case 600kms or so) they're making it a wedding weekend so I have to work out what to wear Friday night for drinks and for Sunday brunch as well. That's easier though - probably Scherezade or Snake Oil on Friday, and definitely either Lampades or Eat Me for brunch.

And then I'll have to help Ray decide what he wants to wear! Eh... I'll chuck a red musk or leather one at him and it's bound to please everyone.

Sorry for the essay, I just wanted to give as much info as possible! Also the list of what I have is in my sig, but I also have various random imps as well.

How about Haloes? I find it calming and I've not met anyone yet who didn't like it.

My wonderful cousin is getting married in March to a wealthy Manhattanite. It's going to be an evening wedding at the Central Park Boathouse, very formal. I haven't bought a dress yet, but I'm planning on getting a simple, tasteful evening gown, probably in dark blue or purple. High-society New York weddings are SO out of this New Hampshire girl's league, and to be honest I'm not looking forward to it. What can I say? I'm a hardcore Red Sox fan and have the healthy dislike for New York and New Yorkers that comes from being born in and raised near Boston (no offense to any New Yorkers out there, some of you are lovely people, but you know what I mean).

So, what scent should I wear?

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to wear to a wedding in a few weeks?

The wedding is on a boat followed by a reception at this place. The dress code is cocktail. I'm wearing a flowing low cut long black layered top and black pants (the not wearing black at weddings thing really isn't followed here at all. Last wedding I went to 75% of females were), and a floaty pink scarf. I don't know the groom's family but I'm very close with the bride's entire family so I can pretty well guarantee that no matter how formal or fancy anything appears the atmosphere will be very relaxed.

It will be early autumn here and likely to still be warm, which makes me start having second thought about the majority of my collection as I naturally gravitate towards the warm/musky/spicey/resinous scents. Also the ceremony is at 2:30pm so I need something that will work for afternoon and night and last that long. I want something that's sexy - or rather sultry - but not too heavy. This immediately counts out most of my lighter scents - much as I love Kumiho, Lampades, White Rabbit etc I wouldn't say they're sexy or sultry!

So far I'm seriously considering:

Snake Oil - the stand by, but I wore this to the last wedding (which was the bride's brother's wedding)

Hunter Moon - my number one Bpal but it doesn't last long on my skin

Snake Charmer - possibly winning (today at least).

Intrigue - probably a bit heavy for the day part, especially for the first 30 minutes or so as the throw is overwhelming. Also not sure I want anything quite so incensey. However the feel of it is definitely what I'm after.

Havana - keep going back to this one too

Scherezade - and this one, especially as this along with Snake Oil is the one I get complimented on the most. However I'm probably going to wear it the night before.

Zephyr - I only have an imp of this but I wore it a week or so ago for the first time since I tested it and it's gone on the list now too.

Because most people have to travel for the wedding (in my case 600kms or so) they're making it a wedding weekend so I have to work out what to wear Friday night for drinks and for Sunday brunch as well. That's easier though - probably Scherezade or Snake Oil on Friday, and definitely either Lampades or Eat Me for brunch.

And then I'll have to help Ray decide what he wants to wear! Eh... I'll chuck a red musk or leather one at him and it's bound to please everyone.

Sorry for the essay, I just wanted to give as much info as possible! Also the list of what I have is in my sig, but I also have various random imps as well.

I'm off to a wedding later this afternoon and I'm doing Cottonmouth. I'm wearing Snake Oil right now because I like it to burn down to the sort of musky/vanilla base and then layer Cottonmouth on top for the ceremony. Because the bride and groom are marginally insane they're having an outdoor ceremony in the Canadian rockies at the end of February so I figure I can get away with a stronger scent than I would wear to a church wedding. Any of the lighter Snake Pits--Australian Copperhead, Green Tree Viper, etc...--might be appropriate for an autumn wedding. They're still in your comfort zone but you're shaking it up a bit.

I look at your bottle list and a few that you have on hand that might be really nice for a wedding are: Dorian, Morocco, Crawdad Dream (it's unusual and fun and I've found that my bottle has aged into a primarily red musk scent with all the other notes supporting), Pirate Moon, and Red Phoenix along with the Snake Pits you have on hand.

I'm officially declaring White Rose my sophistication scent. I feel so classy and ladylike when I wear it!

Ok, here's another wedding attendee third week of March (its in the evening, but is in Massachusetts) I wont know most of the peeps,and even though was invited with a "plus one" do not have a date (chumwick does not count) Now, what to wear, am thinking of getting a dressy skirt and silk blouse kind of thing and as far as bpal am thinking f either Loves Philosophy Huesos de Santos or Dorian (dont like the Snake oil-hides from the masses)

Want to be elegant, warm,and was also thinking of wearing O

and dress suggestions for a middle aged woman( who wants to cover her arms, and could stand to lose a few pounds) about 5'5' are very welcome!

As far as not knowing the relatives and such, its the wedding of the painter across the hall from me, and her bf, and am told there will be an artists table-so whew! Hopefully anything other than my usual cruddy jeans and tshirts will be ok!

Ok, here's another wedding attendee third week of March (its in the evening, but is in Massachusetts) I wont know most of the peeps,and even though was invited with a "plus one" do not have a date (chumwick does not count) Now, what to wear, am thinking of getting a dressy skirt and silk blouse kind of thing and as far as bpal am thinking f either Loves Philosophy Huesos de Santos or Dorian (dont like the Snake oil-hides from the masses)

Want to be elegant, warm,and was also thinking of wearing O

and dress suggestions for a middle aged woman( who wants to cover her arms, and could stand to lose a few pounds) about 5'5' are very welcome!

As far as not knowing the relatives and such, its the wedding of the painter across the hall from me, and her bf, and am told there will be an artists table-so whew! Hopefully anything other than my usual cruddy jeans and tshirts will be ok!

I say Dorian or O with a chic, simple A-line dress to the knee (with a sheer, light cardigan or wrap over the top for arm coverage---try the dress in a jewel tone like rich purple or indigo, wrap in an ivory or pale grey). Pull your hair half-back (if you have length), wear pretty earrings and sandals, and voila!

I'm going to see Madame Butterfly this evening. I am trying to decide what scent to wear. I don't know how theme-y I want to be. I just want to be wearing something sophisticated that won't clash with the mood. I'm having a skin chemistry issue right now, that makes me want to avoid berries and fruity scents. (Ooo but maybe I'll test The East this morning, just to make sure.)

I will be wearing a dress from Anthropologie. It is back lace and formfitting, high neckline and a pencilish hem to the knee. (They don't have it on their website anymore or I'd link.) I'll be wearing black pearl earrings.

On theme, I don't have any butterfly oils, and the only straight-up Japanese one I have is Tissue, but I don't want to wear that.

Some of my favorites that I have on hand are:

Morocco

Snake Oil

Snake Charmer

Schwarzer Mond

Lyonesse

Elephantine Colossus

Vixen

Pisces

I also have Looking Glass bath oil, and I am considering using it as a body oil instead of wearing a perfume. It is really amazing.

And I also have a plethora of imps and decants that I couldn't possibly list.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

ETA: I just tested The East and Looking Glass, and they are both less than wonderful with my skin chemistry of the moment. :/

Edited by Tempest

I'm going to see Madame Butterfly this evening. I am trying to decide what scent to wear. I don't know how theme-y I want to be. I just want to be wearing something sophisticated that won't clash with the mood. I'm having a skin chemistry issue right now, that makes me want to avoid berries and fruity scents. (Ooo but maybe I'll test The East this morning, just to make sure.)

I will be wearing a dress from Anthropologie. It is back lace and formfitting, high neckline and a pencilish hem to the knee. (They don't have it on their website anymore or I'd link.) I'll be wearing black pearl earrings.

On theme, I don't have any butterfly oils, and the only straight-up Japanese one I have is Tissue, but I don't want to wear that.

Some of my favorites that I have on hand are:

Morocco

Snake Oil

Snake Charmer

Schwarzer Mond

Lyonesse

Elephantine Colossus

Vixen

Pisces

I also have Looking Glass bath oil, and I am considering using it as a body oil instead of wearing a perfume. It is really amazing.

And I also have a plethora of imps and decants that I couldn't possibly list.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

ETA: I just tested The East and Looking Glass, and they are both less than wonderful with my skin chemistry of the moment. :/

Maybe it is too theme-y, and I'm not familiar with all the scents you mentioned. But I keep thinking something with a green tea note would be nice, and appropriate for sitting in an audience. I also just happen to love green tea, so no accounting for taste!

Maybe it is too theme-y, and I'm not familiar with all the scents you mentioned. But I keep thinking something with a green tea note would be nice, and appropriate for sitting in an audience. I also just happen to love green tea, so no accounting for taste!

That's a good idea, but can you think of a green tea scent that isn't fruity? I think I have any green tree viper, but I will double check when my fingernails are dry.

ETA: I wish I had a good cherry blossom scent, but I traded Hanami away, and I've never gotten around to ordering the salon that is mostly cherry blossom. Maybe I will make that a priority with my next order.

Edited by Tempest

That's a good idea, but can you think of a green tea scent that isn't fruity? I think I have any green tree viper, but I will double check when my fingernails are dry.

ETA: I wish I had a good cherry blossom scent, but I traded Hanami away, and I've never gotten around to ordering the salon that is mostly cherry blossom. Maybe I will make that a priority with my next order.

Hmm, have you any Embalming Fluid?

Hmm, have you any Embalming Fluid?

I do, but it's really citrusy on me. I think I will do the Snake Oil, because it is a classic. Thank you for your input. :)

I would have gone with the Looking Glass, Looking Glass bath oil because it's *so* amazing and I've used it instead of perfume several times. I'm going to a big awards show in a few weeks and I'm going to wear it then, too. :wub2:

Hmm, if I'm going somewhere posh and want to feel as expensive as my surroundings, I reach for Monna Vanna, from The Salon. Something about that timeless, regal, creamy rose note is reminiscent of the classic perfume "Joy", only with more luscious underpinnings, like gardenia, and mimosa, and violet, and lily, and and and...enough already. It's gorgeous. :D

I think Snow white is always a beautiful choice for weddings...I wore it on MY wedding day, and it made me feel calm, cool, collected, and beautiful :wub2: