Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Laivine

BPAL for fancy, elegant and formal occasions

I'll put in a couple of recommends for things you don't see talked about much on the forum but are wonderful and very sophisticated:

Incantation-lasts and is very strong. Real green and I would call it a hard chypre (however you want to interpret that). It is beautiful and serious. Won't take a back seat to anybody else.

Death-OK so wearing Death to a wedding is pretty Eros/Thanatos, so what. Death is beautiful, heavy and serious. Again it's pretty strong but it is oh so formal.

Asphodel-great floral, I get an icy componant out of it but that is just me.

Dirty-Something like the Estee Lauder Linen sort of smell. Just screems ultra thin wimmen who talk with lockjaw.

Black Opal-Very musk and the more sophisticated cousin to Pink Sugar. Nice, very nice.

Snow White-Real similar to Le Must by Cartier but much much improved. Le Must had a Windex-like componant which Snow White assuredly lacks (thank God) and replaced by what I describe as a hyasinth. Smashing.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Edited by olympia301

Ah, Manhattanites. That being said, you have to most likely calculate your approach. Personally, I suggest that you go with a scent that makes you feel confident and womanly. I'm really just reinterating what everyone else said... and as a casual bpal sniffer, I can only suggest the following:

Incantation: I agree with Olympia - this scent is perfect for a very strong individual. Personally, I didn't like it until I hit the dry down, where I then completely fell in love with it. Also, I'm going to a hideously formal ball this April, and I plan on wearing this one.

Whitechapel: If you find Incantation simply too strong, and wanted something a bit more... subtle, then I would recommend this one.

Santo Domingo: This one I didn't see in any of the responses, and if you can pull it off, it would be lovely. A few of my snobby guyfriends absolutely adore this scent. My only issue with it is the throw... On me, the throw is fairly small.

Bastet: Faylie is right, this is a classy scent. It has that comforting warm scent that may ward off the frigid Manhattanites.

If you like lighter, more fruitier scents, I suggest checking out Katharina, and Euterpe (one of the muses).

I think Hetaerai is an extremely sophisticated scent. Here's what I wrote about it during late dry-down

"An hour later, I'm glad I out more of this on. It's elegant and complex. It's the little black dress of bpals. The top note is definitely floral on me (probably the ylang-ylang), but the patchouli in the background keeps me from sneezing. It's sweet without being cloying, and is just generally fabulous. It reminds me a little bitty bit of Ma Griffe by Caraven, an old green chypre blend from the 1970's which was my godmother's signature scent. It's not so much that they smell the same as that they convey the same things to me: A strong sense of self, understated elegance, and brainy grace."

I'm making it my new dinner party perfume.

Whitechapel: If you find Incantation simply too strong, and wanted something a bit more... subtle, then I would recommend this one.

Oooh, Whitechapel! I love that one. Fresh-and-light-but-not. There's something very subtly sinister about it. . .or maybe that's just me buying into the name. Either way, it makes me feel very proper and slightly dangerous.

Good one.

You guys are awesome. More more more!!! :P

I'm not too sure how any of these smell, but you may want to check out the Zoyra scents from Excolo. There should be three scents:

Utrennyaya

Vechernyaya

Zoyra

But yes, I love Whitechapel - it's one of those lovely quirky scents that I do enjoy. When I wear it, I always think of calculating and shrewd people. Or professional assasins. :P

Hi,

I have two weddings to go to and was wondering what is your favorite BPAL to wear? Both occasions are in June and both are formal.

Thanks,

Denise

I haven't worn BPAL to a wedding thus far, but I'm always happy to help on the suggestions!

I casually scanned some of your posts and it seems like you like resinous and vanilla scents and florals just aren't your bag. You said you liked Rose Red somewhat, so Rose Cross might work well for you--it's a sweet rose and frankincense blend that's very classical without being overbearing. The Bow and Crown of Conquest is in the same vein (for me); it's a sweet vanilla-tinged resin-leather scent that smells unusual without smelling unpleasant.

It seems like we have somewhat similar chemistry (amp sweetness, devour florals, love the resins) but perhaps different taste. I personally feel like Lurid, Twilight, Psyche, Paris and most of the blends with lavender in them are both extremely gorgeous and mature and elegant enough for a formal wedding. Lavender adds an air of gravitas to an otherwise frivolous blend (like the difference between solemn, mature Twilight and young, flirty New Orleans) and is so well-associated with classical perfumery than it would be more than appropriate for a formal wedding--if you can wear TKO without nodding off, you can combine lavender with vanilla, which you seem to wear exceptionally well.

While it might not be as tailored as my creepy "I totally clicked "Find member's posts!"" reply, there is a thread on wedding scents here and I believe it touches on bride, bridal party and guest scents.

Last wedding I went to, I wore Hope and Faith, mixed.

It was a weather-related choice (both are light on me, and it was 100F) but I suppose the names are also fitting!

For the only wedding I attended since discovering BPAL, I wore Snow White. It put me in the perfect sweet, happy mood, plus the fairy tale princess name was fitting.

Hi,Thank you. I am fairly new to BPAL so I am just learning what works on me and what doesn't. Actually, I just put my Rose Red up for sale on Ebay. I hated to do it, but I find that although I love to smell it in the bottle, I just don't reach for it at all. I just liked knowing it was there. Sort of like when you do your spring cleanout of clothing and you hold onto clothes you never wear because you hate to give them up. I do wear Moon Rose because it's lighter. You are right...I do wear anything with vanilla well, and I never thought I was a "vanilla person". I only have a few weeks, so I got to get my order in. In my possession I now have:Antique Lace, Dan O'Shee, Morocco, Smut, Sin, Scherezade, Snake Oil, Boomslang, O (which on me is just like Dan O'Shee, Danube, Bathsheba, Amsterdam, Velvet, and awaiting Snake Charmer, Chrysanthemum Moon, Red moon and Mme Moriarty all which I haven't tried yet . The only ones that are bottles are the first 8, except Sin, which is an imp. I am selling my Rose Cross without even smelling it. I felt overwhelmed with too many scents. I hate when I give something away and then it's recommendedI will go read up on your recommendations. I am planning to place a new order this weekend anyway. .Thanks,DeniseJust lost my edit so here it goes again.Snow White was all coconut on me , like a cheap car air freshener. Too badI haven't tried anythng with lavender yet, so that sounds like a new direction to explore.

I think Kitsune-Tsuki is perfect for fancy/dress-up occasions. The first time I tried it, my husband's first response was, "That smells really elegant and glamorous. Like something you'd wear to [our local 5-star restaurant]."

Cleopatra Testing Poisons. What an incredibly dressy scent.

ETA: Ooops. Sorry, I didn't see that you'd already posted the list of things you have...I'm still wearing Cleopatra Testing Poisons next time I need to dress up, though.)

Edited by septima_pica

That's a really good suggestion, septima pica. I have found a lot of the Salons have a dressier, more elegant feel and when that's what I'm in the mood for or what the occasion calls for, it seems that I end up wearing a Salon blend quite often!

You'd have to pray that no one insists on knowing the name of the scent, but Glowing Vulva dresses up very nicely for formal occasions. I always get compliments when I wear it.

I just found this thread and was hoping you all had some advice. I'm going to a wedding next month - an upscale, 4pm, little black cocktail dress kind of wedding. I have the dress & minimal jewelry, but I have to be scented. What is the "little black cocktail dress" of bpal scents? I can't wear red musk, but I'll consider most everything else.

In the meantime, I'll re-read the thread & test the suggested scents.

*bookmarking*

a variety of things that immediately spring to mind include:

- sapphics

- lune noire

- theodosius

- queen mab

- torture queen

- another vote for cleopatra testing poisons

I have my sister's (very over the top) wedding next weekend.

I'm tossing up whether it's worth me breaking out my VERY precious imp of Venom...or hitting up the Bloodlust, because I have to see and make nice with someone who I really don't want to see...the plus side of Bloodlust is that it apparently smells much better on me than I *think* it does.

I'm tossing up whether it's worth me breaking out my VERY precious imp of Venom...or hitting up the Bloodlust, because I have to see and make nice with someone who I really don't want to see...the plus side of Bloodlust is that it apparently smells much better on me than I *think* it does.

Can you give them both a test run? Go shopping or to the movies (be amongst strangers) with one on, the next day the other. See how many heads you turn :P

What better event to break out a much loved perfume than a wedding? If you want to wear it just because it's special, go for Venom. If you want the protective veil of Bloodlust, wear Bloodlust.

However, is your sister having a long church ceremony or any other event where you'll be in close quarters with a lot of other people? Because both are pretty potent scents and if they have a lot of throw, it may not be the most pleasant experience for those around you. Definitely apply your perfume after any sort of serious close counters ceremony.

I just found this thread and was hoping you all had some advice. I'm going to a wedding next month - an upscale, 4pm, little black cocktail dress kind of wedding. I have the dress & minimal jewelry, but I have to be scented. What is the "little black cocktail dress" of bpal scents? I can't wear red musk, but I'll consider most everything else.

"Little black dress" to me says modern, elegant, unfussy and a little carefree (and with that I officially started sounding like some sort of weird W channel perfume shill). So with that in mind:

Intrigue Bewitching Brews Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes.

A bit film noire femme fatale. It's dark and brooding and if you're in a mingling cocktail setting, it's not going to be too heady for everyone around you.

Golden Priapus Ars Amatoria vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

The base is warm and creamy while the woods give it a bit of bite and interest.

Psyche Ars Amatoria Bulgar rose, Chinese white musk, lavender, orchid and frankincense.

Psyche sumultaneously smells like it was custom blended and like it's one of the oldest, most classical perfumes in the world. It's breathtakingly gorgeous and perfectly timeless.

Regan Illyria A deceptively sweet orchid vanille with a faint trace of stephanotis

Regan kind of reminds me of the nice counterpart to O's naughtiness. It has that same honey sweetness but it's a bit more refined and very elegant while still being slightly playful.

These are all good suggestions. I've been testing out bpals, and even thinking of layering. Shadow Witch Orchid on a base of Glowing Vulva? Vixen (which is gorgeous on me, but a tad too sweet for the occasion) and something to darken it? Maybe I should take a couple days off work & just play with bpal :P

"Little black dress" to me says modern, elegant, unfussy and a little carefree (and with that I officially started sounding like some sort of weird W channel perfume shill).

You're hired!

My 2 cents worth....

Shanghai - it's light and fresh, only a lttle bit sweet and has a decent throw without clearing a room. Very elegant.

Theodosius - another tea scent but a little heavier