Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
copyshopclerk

The Crumpet Rebellion

No description available.

AWESOME.

Everything about this blend rules - I love the concept and inspiration (the fashion show was excellent, too!)

In the bottle & on (it's not a morpher) - delicious, desserty... I've never had a crumpet but this is like thick blackberry, maybe blackcurrant filling with a buttery golden crust. In a way, it reminds me of Bloody Mary but with darker berries instead of the cherry. I do get a "baked pie" quality from it but with a tart-like kick. Lickable and would definitely be hoard-worthy as I love foody blends. Pretty strong throw, too.

:P :D

I'm horrible at reviews and picking out notes but I'll give this a try...

The Crumpet Rebellion is definitely a sweet and foody scent, although not overpoweringly so. Delicious is the best way to describe it. When I first put it on, it seemed to be pretty much straight black currant with just a hint of something like sweet cream. As it dries, the black currant softens and blends more with the other notes and I'm getting something that reminds me of sugar cookies still baking in the oven. It reminds me of a softer, less boozy version of Monster Bait Closet. Black currant and I don't always get along, but it works really well for me in this scent.

In the bottle: berries! booze and something wet and green. Sweet vanilla butteriness.

On the skin: orange peel, boisenberry and some rich fruit that I can't place. Is that bayberry? Creaminess. I think there is blackberry as well but to a lesser degree.

Dry: Just like a crumpet buttered and smothered in orange marmalade and topped with heaps of berry jam. It's amazing just how much this smells like that exactly. I get a mapley whiff every once in a while.

I have to disagree with the Gluttony comparison, because Gluttony is evil on me and this didn't smell anything like it. But I think the comparison comes from the slight butteriness in CR. I can't compare the butter with any other oil I've tried from the lab so far. Mmm.

I'm gonna go have toast with butter and jam!

ETA: I figured out the distinctive berry smell and it is in fact Black Current. I recognize it from the soda Ribena Spark from the UK. I love that stuff.

Edited by Tempest

Okay. I've heard the comparisons to Monsterbait: Closet and I can see why (the purple fruitiness!) but really, The Crumpet Rebellion is very different to me. It's soooo much better. I couldn't wear Closet because I smelled obnoxiously fruity - like I'd rolled in a giant puddle of dark purple jelly. Crumpet is just... delicious *dies*. There was NO butter in it for me at all, but I did get something foody under the layer of fruit that made it a very delicate and accomplished gourmand scent. It's so gorgeous.. One of those wrist to nose blends. When it's well into the drydown, my body chemistry gave it a slight incense-y twist.. Mmm.. blackcurrant incense.. For me, Crumpet is lovely and I really enjoyed it through all of it's stages. :P

ETA: You know what it reminds me of? A SCONE. Heaps of blackcurrant jam on a fat, fluffy scone topped with a dollop of clotted cream. :D

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

Crumpet Rebellion - I've never had a crumpet, but I've had scones and sweet pastries, and this reminds me of a sweet pastry or scone smothered with some sort of fruity jam -- definitely dark berries. I can't rule out blackberry, but I can't fully identify it in this blend, either. Rather, it is much more of a black currant type scent. I'm not the foody type, but this smells really good and actually works on my skin. It happened to get combined with some BiggerCritters in my scent locket, and the two blends layer surprisingly well, together, by the way! The staying power on my skin is about average, but the sweater I was wearing last night still smells quite strongly of Crumpet Rebellion. Overall, it's a very yummy blend.

I'm going to start nibbling on my arm.

I didn't really expect to like this blend, as super-sweet foody/baked good scents don't always work for me. But this! It's really rather astonishing. In the bottle, it's juicy berries and a buttery, frosting-like note that gave me pause. But on, it smells like the breakfast you dream about waking up to, crumbling, studded with steaming hot-from-the-oven fruit (black currants, like in scones) and sweet but not too sweet.

On my skin, it seems like I get a tiny bit of a tea note that makes Crumpet Rebellion even more morning-ish and also gives it a tiny hint of sharpness that keeps it from being sticky sweet on me.

Now if you'll excuse me ... I need to find some breakfast. :P

I love the name of this scent! I usually detest foody blends, but this one is pretty nice. I've never smelled a freshly baked crumpet, but what The Crumpet Rebellion does smell like to me is blackberries and baked cakey goods like cobbler. This scent has astounding throw and lasting power, because it lasted through a scrubbing with hospital-grade antibacterial soap (so that I could go back to the BPAL booth for another round of scent testing).

I've only whiffed Crumpet Rebellion on inanimate objects (in edenssixthday's scent locket along with MB:Underpants (I think?), and on the sample card I've got heavily baggied right now) because of some irrational fear that this would morph into some holy grail foodie scent on my skin.

So my review is a bit one-sided. But what a delicious side! Seriously, I wanted to nibble on that locket. And I'm trying very hard not to huff my little baggie o' scent right now too.

This is a dark, purple berry (flips between blackberry and black currant for me) with a buttery, crumbly crisp. I'm usually pretty butter-shy (Shill scared the bejeezus out of me, and I don't care for Jack because of the butter I have to get through to get to the rest of it) but this butter seems to be held in check by all the purple (which also tends to be a bully note for me).

This is really well balanced and just absolutely delicious. It not only has me craving baked things, but a nice strong coffee too!

I don't necessarily go for foody scents, but this is wooooonderfulll!

I'm so glad I got two bottles of this. (I'd say shh, but the lab already knows. I got the second bottle fair and square, damnit.)

In the bottle, it's very buttery. On the dry down, I think other people's descriptions of it smelling just like pie crust are perfect. It's like a black currant tart with a graham cracker crust. Buttery, sugary, with a touch of dark fruit. I guess it's the black currant that really helps to darken this blend and keep it from being overwhelmingly bright and sugary. It doesn't necessarily smell fruity, it's just rich. Dry, the currant fades a bit, and I'm left with something resembling caramelized sugar. It lasts for a good long while and has pretty good throw, especially early in the dry down.

Love! :P

this is my favorite of the C13 scents. GORGEOUS. Fruity and sweet in perfect balance. I couldn't wear Monsterbait: closet but i can totally wear this! this is what Monsterbait should have been (at least i think so). I was in the Phoenix fashion show and i'm so happy i have this scent to remember that wonderful event with. the perfect way to remember that wonderful event, thank you Beth!

-Jola

I freely admit I have weird skin chemistry. Having said that, Crumpet Rebellion smells almost exactly like Sugar Skull on my skin. It's absolute brown sugar/fresh pipe tobacco/creme brulee deliciousness, but unlike The Knave of Hearts (which I thought it would smell nearly exactly like), there's no cake or berry or other fruit note discernible on my skin. CR is pure smoky caramel which I apparently amp like whoa.

Whatever this note is, it's one of my very favorites, swoonably good. I can totally see why this blend is a must-have. And call me weird(er), but I would LOVE to smell this on a man. Gahhhhhhhhhhh. :D at the thought. :D

I am sooooooooooooo glad I was able to snag a bottle. Sankyoo Puddin'. :P

Shared via a particularly generous swap. :D

In the imp, this smelled a lot like warm cobbler...the scent of baked goods and warm fruit.

On my skin? Well. A previous reviewer said it smelled like Sugar Skull? Yes, it did on me, too. That is to say, it smelled like a loud, fake 'spice' potpourri. Bleah. :P

Nice to know I won't be pining for it, after all.

Wet: the scent of pastries just finished baking in the oven, a little fruit undertone

dry: the pastries have been pulled out of the oven and now the berries have bubbled out. Sweet but tart red currants. Maybe a touch of blackberries?

I’m so not a foody person, but this is fabulous. I'm so glad I got it and can remember the fashion show and meeting Beth. :P

rating: 5/5

I have been torn about what exactly to say in my review of Crumpet Rebellion... First off I absolutely LOVE it on me!! Lets just get that out of the way :D It is uber delish, and I am gonna be mama dragon sitting on my bottle protectively.

I had the chance to chat w/ Beth and asked her what her inspiration was on the C13 scents, and if she could give any additional info on them. Regretably, I was so overwhelmed with all the activity going on around me at the meet and sniff, and just blissed out to be talking to Beth, that I can only recall bits and pieces of what she was saying about Crumpet Rebellion.. I remember the one phrase clearly.. her calling it, "the F**K you cookie" that got my GF and I laughing!! Damn I love Beth! :P

Okay.. a review..

Wet: Super sweet tart berries. Cassia note more prominent to me.

20 mins-drydown: Ohhh... a pastry filled with "juicy" mouth watering berries.

I interrupted my GF and asked her what she thought. "spiced cream and the best berry tart you've ever smelled" was her comment.

My skin amps up the juicyness of the berries and I get warm baked sugery vanilla vs. caramel on me. I should add that I HATE Sugar Skull w/ my skin chemistry, and thankfully it does not go SS on me at all!

Great throw, long wear and just mouth wateringly yummy. :D

A+ w/ extra drool...

Edited by growwild

In bottle: Slight bitchslap of foody - hey, it's breakfast time! - followed by tart blackberry.

On me: This changes from day to day. Yesterday, it was blueberry pancakes with lots of syrup at IHOP. Today, it's tart berries smothering a crisp scone. I'm picking up some black currant in here, too. Yay sophisticated foody!

I'm reading all of the other reviews making comparisons to Closet, Gluttony, Sugar Cookie, and even yes, crumpets, but on me, this scent is very much like Treat #2, except it's sort of a blackberry-sugar bonbon rather than anything chocolate. It's quite strong, has amazing throw, and I'm very glad to have an imp because I know it will last me for a long time; a little goes a long way!

Edit: Holy toledo. It dries down more, and suddenly it is indeed a buttered crumpet with blackberry jam! How did they do that?! Dammit, I want breakfast now...

Edited by Reedsong

Wet, this is a very tart foody scent on me. Very tart! Almost pixie stix tart. But you can also smell the pastry/baking notes and they are lovely. As the drydown starts, the berry starts to round out and it's delicious! Reminds me of dark juicy blackberries or plump currents. The tartness calms down a tad and the final drydown is a great balance of crust and berry. This is what I wanted Bloody Mary to be like on me (although more red, of course).

Edited for further comparisons:

This is actually quite similar to Knave of Hearts on me. Knave is more sweet and has a syrupy note, while Crumpet is definitely more tart. However, on me, they dry down almost the same. Crumpet fades a bit more, and Knave retains that syrupy note, but they are very similar, which makes me happy :-)

Edited by siddal

Wow, this almost is one of Beth's uberheavy foody scents on me. While I adore 90% of her foody blends to the point of silliness, there is the occasional one that's too heavy for me: Sugar Skull. Gluttony. Cockaigne.

Crumpet Rebellion is ALMOST there. Almost. It smells swoony in the bottle. Tart currants, crumbly buttered scone, oh my. Then it spends a half hour being almost overwhelming on my skin. A friend sniffed it and said "I like it in the bottle better." Yes. Then it chills out after a time, and smells more like how it did in the bottle- delectable.

Clearly I need a scent locket to do this blend justice. I adore the latter drydown, though. I just don't love the half hour to an hour of too-heavy-to-take.

EDITED TO ADD: It's a little better in a scent locket. But it still is edging into the 'too much' zone, and is one of those blends that can make me feel a little queasy. The good news is that I may never, ever need to re-wet the swatch I have it on. I save the fabric I load with oils in wee plastic baggies and Crumpet Rebellion has stayed full-on stinky for a month so far- just broke it out and put it in my locket, and it is still really, really strong. If you adore this and only have an imp, get a scent locket! You will never use your imp up!

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

I wanted to try Crumpet Rebellion so badly that, even though I was part of the Phoenix Parade, I was sure I would miss getting an embossed ticket for the scent. Clearly, that was unfounded worry. :P

Crumpet Rebellion is so much fun! The name makes me giggle. The label artwork is my favorite of all of the C13 scents.

In the bottle: I get a very clearly tart/blackberry/dessert impression from this.

On my skin: Immediately my impression turns into a crusty sweet cookie, underneath piles of juicy red and purple fruits. I get a sense of tartness that's almost strong enough to give my jaw a sharp wince. I can almost taste it. I get no butter in this, thank you skin chemistry. At this point, my husband told me I smelled like "dark red frosting". He liked it.

After a while: The impressions remain the same, though this amps like crazy. I could get away with wearing less if I chose to. After about an hour my skin starts to give the tart/berries notes a slightly resinous edge to it. After another hour I start to get a dusty, sugary spin on things.

Beautiful! It is a wonderful, wearable souvenir!

On me, Crumpet Rebellion is like the blackberry cobbler of Closet (but sharper, more dry, and tart smelling) with the addition of Eat Me's hyper-sweet currants, and more of a buttery-caramel-crust smell to it. It is *very* buttery on me for several hours, and thus my boy hates this oil. I like buttery fragrances, but I don't like the strange twist this takes on my skin after an hour or so. The fruitiness seems to disappear and a heavy, caramelized-sugar note is popping out, but there's a sharp note underneath it all that doesn't seem to be meshing on my skin. Almost a sharp, dark muskiness or a perfumey resinous note?

This is an okay scent. It has great staying power on me, but not a lot of throw. I wish I were getting the spice or cream that other reviewers have mentioned, instead of that weird muskiness.

I guess I'm thankful that I'm not in love with this (I don't even want to know how much I'd have to pay for a bottle on ebay :D ). I own a lot of similar enough scents that are much better on my skin. I love Closet, and Eat Me has also grown on me a lot with aging (becomes less crazy-sweet and more creamy). My ultimate blackberry pastry scent is still Child Star's Berry Best from Starring Fragrances though.

I'll be passing along my half-decant so that someone else can try it. :P

Straight out the imp it smells like berries, on my skin it smells like berries & cinnamon, the dry down is a little resiny, but after a while it turns into maple syrup on me. I think it may share a note with Sugar Skull since SS turns in to burnt maple syrup on me.

Not a scent for me, but I'm so happy that I had a chance to try it. :P

Wet: blackberries and cake

On skin: yum, dark fruit and booze, my favorite combo!

Half-hour later: still dark and sweet. Others have mentioned the burnt-sugar smell, which I happen to enjoy

In conclusion: a really nice boozy blend, not as foody as others got. Hmm, maybe a combo of Monster Bait: Closet and Sugar Skull would equate this for me? I'm really glad I got to try this :P

rich and buttery tart - a black currant tart, in fact, sweet with vanilla sugar sprinkled on top. it mellows to the smell of a house in which the tarts were baked - rich, and baked-good-y without smelling like I should gnaw my wrist off.

eventually the buttery note turns on me, however, as it usually does - a current tart with a hint of fresh celery. :P

I was unexpectedly frimped with a sniffie of this coveted scent, and I'm really glad I had a chance to try it! I knew it wouldn't be my usual kind of scent (sounded kind of foodie, the only fragrance type that I rarely go for) but I really love berries and especially currants, so I was optimistic.

It is actually more on the wearable side than I expected. My personal note of doom is the 'buttery' scent that pops up in many blends and fortunately it is barely present in this, though it does have a strong, cakey, caramel, vanilla sort of feeling. Although it reminds me a bit of that sort of "candles that smell like cake" scent that turns me off, I love currant and berry enough that I can focus on that part of it...the slightly tart, purple-red bit...and the caramel/vanilla doesn't bother me quite so much.

After awhile, it just becomes a really nice, sweet currant/berry with a touch of a warm vanilla and that's something I can kind of groove with. It mainly reminds me of Eat Me, and I don't think that I could tell the difference between the two if I wasn't smelling carefully...but if I was a fan of this particular category of scent it would probably be a holy grail, since it's composed phenomenally well.

Very very happy to have been able to test this!

When it first hits my skin, it's buttery crust, similar to Knave of Hearts.

After a minute or two, the buttery crust moves into the background and it's sweet berries. I think it's blackberries, but I can't pick out what other kind of fruit.

Unlike Knave of Hearts, this scent doesn't turn to dirt on my skin and keeps its fruit-y tart scent.