Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Cleopatra Testing Poisons on Those Condemned to Death

Cleopatra Testing Poisons on Those Condemned to Death, Alexandre Cabanel.
Accords of peach kernel, hemlock, aconite, and belladonna, with bitter almond, saffron, honey, myrrh, hyssop, frankincense, and palm.

This starts out as honeyed chocolate. As it dries down, the chocolate dies down and I think I am getting a hint of peach. The main player, though is something very strong. Myrrh? It is not exactly incense-ish but leans in that direction. I don't think I would but this blend but wouldn't turn it down were it to be handed to me as a gift.

In the bottle:

For some reason in the bottle this is so light I can barely smell it... when I do finally pick up on something it is herbal, and woodsy.

Wearing:

Upon initial application this is completely bitter, I don't find that to be a bad thing though...it's very unique and mysterious, with a dusty ancient feel to it. This seems like the creation of the poisons amidst sunbaked branches of wood and dried flowers. There also seems to be a musky scent that is reminiscent of somebody laying out in the sun, the actual testing of the poisons is happening here too.

As it dries down...

it is bitter almond but softened by loud peach and warm honey. Honeyed almonds covering fresh succulent peach slices. There is a floral undertone that renders this elegantly feminine and quite beautiful. It smells like an egyptian paradise. Luxurious.

Overall:

This is a very complex scent, everything happening in the scene of the painting seems to be depicted here - and the most gorgeous part is what lasts after allowing you to experience the more sinister acts associated with the poisons. It also has great throw which is a surprise since it seemed so light in the bottle.

Accidentally sent to me by the Lab, and they said I could keep it, which is ever so amazing :D I like trying Salon scents, they're so unique.

In the bottle - something distant, woodsy and sweetly herbal.

On wet - whoa! almond, honey, saffron and something both sweet and dangerous.

Drydown - this becomes more complex and the sweetness and depth of the honey really blossoms now. Still herbal and there's still the faint whiff of almonds. It smells both poisonous and delicious. A terrific fragrance, even if it's not necessarily my kind of thing :)

Ok when the imp pack arrived in the mail, I completely passed over this one with a "meh". I feel terribly embarrassed for myself now, considering how beautiful this is. Embarrassed that my nose didn't pick up the finer qualities and was all "ooh look! shiny things! *dump*"

Wet: sweet peach kernel, bitter almond, thick sweet honey, and saffron. The myrrh and hyssop provide a wonderful brown, burgundy, and green depth behind the sweet straight-forward top notes. I'm not picking up on the belladonna?

Drydown: sweet resinous wonderfulness. The peach kernel hangs strong with saffron and honey. The frankincense comes out only slightly and just to compliment and amplify this perfectly. For a second I get wafts of what could be considered an egyptian musk, but this is just a cleverly crafted combination of ingredients and my brain placing meaning where it wasn't intended. debating a bottle. :wub2:

Lot's of honey and something amber-like with a bit of spice thrown in. Very nice at first, but does end up smelling a bit waxy on me, like a (nice) candle. I really liked the beginning stages, but ultimately not for me in the dry-down.

One of the most beautifully complex scents I've ever tried. :wub2:

When wet I get dry cocoa powder, a really rich good quality type, but as it dries it morphs dramatically and is no longer foody. I get incense, sweet spices, honey, a touch of floral, but all meshing so wonderfully - a really sophisticated, poised and elegant scent.

I'm very glad I bought a bottle unsniffed, and will be getting at least one backup before its lost forever.

Wet: Juicy sweet with a herbal background. It initially reminds me a little of Depraved - except not apricot and not patchouli, if that makes any sense. I am definitely getting PEACH, not just peach kernel.

Dry: This is too peachy and sweet. I was hoping for sweet but herbal, and I'm getting SWEET! with a teensy bit of herbs. I am pretty disappointed, and I'm really hoping that aging will bring out the other notes and diminish the overexcited peach. I'm not even sure if this is worth aging right now...

This is a big time favorite for me and I am sorry I didnt get more than one bottle knowing it was going away. I definitely get the chocolate in the bottle and wet on my skin. Most of the chocolately scents smell very candle-like to me and this has a wonderful hint of dark chocolate, coffee without that. So, this isnt what the description says at all. I do get a hemlock honey later as it dries down but it is tempered by a little spicy something so its not so sweet as HH. This one requires re-applilcation on me. My skin eats it up.

This went on my wishlist for the name and also for listed notes, especially the peach, honey, hemlock components. In the bottle this smells very herbal and I would even say somewhat piney. Wet on the skin it warms considerably. The pineyness evaporates although the herbal scent remains. The honey is much more present. I would say the peach is noticeable because it seems to have a fruity quality, but not in the manner of peach candy or syrupy fake peach. As it dries the resins come out slightly and give it a more incense-like quality. Overall it is a very subdued scent, mellow and warm but very pleasant, with light-medium throw that I feel would improve if I was wearing more than a test patch. Not sure about the last as I couldn't wait to review this and typed it as I was testing it, but I plan to wear it again so i'll find out.

Wet: Sweet, but incredibly heavy, frankincense.

Dry: Deep resins, mixed with herbals that I imagine to be the "poison". I don't know what aconite, belladonna, or hemlock would smell like.. but I imagine that's one of the components I'm smelling on dry-down.

It's deep, a little bit dark, very complex, and not at all what I'm usually drawn to... but this is great. I'm glad I snagged a bottle before The Salon went away.

Sharp bitterness (bitter almond perhaps? Or the same bitter-sweet-burnt note from hemlock) and peaches at first. It begins to settle into something poisonous and sweet, musky and not quite fruity, not quite gourmand.  It's amazing already, damn it. I'm getting tiny hints of everything, saffron, honey, palm, myrrh, frankincense, etc.something mildly floral, maybe the aconite (monkshood). I really need more perfumes with this bitter almond I love it omg. Very sophisticated and complex. The bitterness creates an almost alcoholesque scent, smelling like an expensive peach liqueur or something. The only thing that saved my wallet from immediately tracking down all the old bottles is that it doesn't last long on me :( I'll save this one for special occasions (or possibly apply it to my wrist and just sniff it for an hour straight when I'm at home)