Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Sunrise With Sea-Monsters

Ocean mist, kelp, ambergris, amber, white pear, osmanthus, freesia, and seafoam accord.

In the imp: wow, that's.. yeah, seafoam. and freesia. and that bamboo-ish wateriness.

On me, wet: yup, still sea-spray - aquatics and slightly soap saltiness and lots of watery florals.

On me, dry: mmmm. the pear is sweetening it, and the amber and ambergris are warming it, and while it teeters on the edge of ocean-themed-soap sometimes it doesn't ever topple.

Verdict: I have a fondness for aquatics, though I rarely wear 'em, and this ticks all my buttons for a nice aquatic. The imp can certainly stay here.

imp: amber and pear.

wet: this has a very nice salt-water scent with the amber and pear. the salt is faint but the water scent is dominant with the amber. the pear is mainly just a faint syrupiness. this is quite crisp and bright.

dry: lovely. salt-water and sweet pear. this is really quite lovely.

In the bottle it's very salty aquatic plus pear. The saltiness gets caught in my throat, so to speak, but the pear underneath it makes it pretty.

Wet, it's very aquatic, teetering on a scent you would use to freshen your bathroom, but the amber, pear, and freesia are trying their damnedest to get the salty ocean bit of it to calm down and relax. When it's wet I'm not terribly fond of it. The ocean mist smells too much like your standard beachy air freshener.

BUT, when it's dry, that high-pitched, salty, aquatic note calms itself and lets the pear have a bit of the limelight. I really like this in its dry-down stage, especially as a scent for a hot summer day.

a pleasant, flowery aquatic. the ocean salt and the sweetness of freesia blend well. unfortunately like most florals i try to wear it becomes way way way too heavy and cloying as time goes on.

In Vial: Smells fresh.

Wet: Mmm. I really like this. I'm not sure how to classify it. It's not completely aquatic nor completely green. Its like a mix of both with a background of fresh and clean.

Later: This gets stronger. Turns a little perfumey which takes away from the "freshness" of the scent. This is not bad but I don't love it. The dry down of this is similar to Cancer.

In the bottle: Soapy- light green aquatic, can smell the pear and floral notes.

Wet: Much more floral, and while still clean, it's not too soapy. I'm totally smelling the salty-kelp too, and a breezy scent - amazing. The pear is nice and light; barely sweet. The osmanthus is not too heady so far; it's playing nice. I love the freesia which I think is the dominant note coming out right now. There's a hint of dry warmth in the background which must be the amber.

Dry: Damn. I think it's giving me a headache. :P So far dry it's virtually the same as wet, though I can tell the pear is fading and would be totally gone after an hour or so. I can detect the osmanthus though the freesia is much stronger. It doesn't seem to be going too soapy or powdery. But I'm going to wash it off now. Moderate-to-strong throw.

In the vial: Slightly salty air, a hint of light florals, and pear.

On: This is exactly what I'd imagine sea spray to smell like. Clean and very calming. There are a few notes in this that I need to look up, but I'm sure I'm not getting any of them -- the freesia, pear, and seafoam stay strong throughout and don't fade.

Verdict: This is a lovely scent. Perfect for summer and would be great in an oil burner.

In bottle: Wow. This is a very complex sea scent. The sea elements are strongest, but there is a sharp, tart edge to it, and something strangely sensual. Wet; the saltiness does interesting things with the pear and the flowers. It is very feminine with steal underneath. Imagine a wind swept beach with plants growing along the dunes and an ambergris smelling sea monster out my the rocks. It works, it really does. Dry: Light ocean smelling scent.

Ooh! Pretty pretty aquatic - it's surprisingly green given the listed notes and has the same "sea breeze" feel as Selkie but a bit more "grown up" somehow.

Imp: Clean, sweet, salty aquatic.

Wet: Clean, sweet aquatic with a sharp white floral scent. Something sorta cucumbery in this, too.

Dry: Clean, cucumbery aquatic with discernable osmanthus. This is very pretty and feminine. I like it, but its not my usual fare. It settles into a clean watery osmanthus blend.

Overall: This is fairly shortlived on my skin—lasts 4ish hrs. Its pretty, but not me. I’ll pass it along.

A nice aquatic...sweet and clean.

When I say a "Nice aquatic" please realize I don't usually like aquatics. Sturgeon moon is the closest I have had to any aquatic that I wear relatively often(I wear many scents in rotation, and have no daily scent yet)...and this is just slightly further along to the ocean. Saltier, and less fresh water.

In the vial: kelp, ambergris, seafoam (how do you make an accord out of seafoam?) ... I didn't expect to like this, but it's very fresh and watery, and just a bit salty, and also a light, pretty floral!

Wet on skin: flowers and sea water! No monsters! Quite fresh and pretty, but still unusual.

Dry on skin: still the same - fresh, pretty, a touch salty and watery.

Slightly sharp and aggresive aquatic. The ambergris reminds me of Frederic, but I get almost a citrus feel from this one somehow. The salty kelp is really nice and I don't get pear overload as I feared :) Subtle, orange feeling blend tahat has alot of depth when you get close enough to snuffle it. I think I prefer Frederic, but maybe I'll test them both sometime and see who wins.

IN THE IMP: Sweet florals with salty seafoam over it.

WET: The blend gets saltier. It smells exactly like ocean water.

DRY: Fresh, clean aquatics with a strong salty note and florals in the background. Very evocative of the ocean, of course. My friend told me that I "smell like a mermaid!" I think that's a good thing. XD

This is a very pretty, bright smelling (and strong!) aquatic blend. Unfortunately, it's a bit too perfumey for my taste. It reminds me a lot of a perfume I used to wear years ago (something like Happy or Sunflowers, I can't remember which).

It really is a lovely scent, just not "me". I think I'll see if my sister would like this one, it's probably more her type of thing.

In the imp I get my beloved ambergris and kelp (yay!), but the second Sunrise With Sea Monsters hits skin, it's Attack of the Freesia time. Freesia over ultra-clean, clear aquatic. Now there's nothing actually wrong with that, but apparently both of those notes are the epitome of "perfumey" on me. Perfectly pleasant and perfectly uninteresting. Very cool, traditional and beachy-- just not my style.

This smells like a more posh version of Windward Passage. Sweet and clean aquatic... and that's just about that really. Luckily, I happen to like my scents simple so this is a keeper!

This is a surprise hit for me. Beware though, if your skin has a tendency to turn florals into soap then this one is probably not for you. I get a very, very slightly soapy edge which usually spells doom for people with the "soap" chemistry.

This is the closest BPAL I've found so far for my beloved Miracle. It doesn't smell exactly the same but is in the same scent family with the freesia being the common note. White pear is also quite similar to lychee. It's a light scent with a powerful throw and very commercial appeal. If you like air and water style commercial perfumes you'll most likely love this one. I may purchase a full bottle of this.

If you like this you may also like Spirit Of The Komachi Cherry Tree.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Based on this fragrance alone, there needs to be a lunette of sorts, a Holy of Holies, a shrine where all of the world can come and appreciate the masterpiece that is Sunrise With Sea Monsters for inspiring this fragrance...The first noticeable element to this from the opened bottle was the Marine Accord... Of course! Hence the Sea Monsters, eh?
The Lab's notes actually cite Seafoam Accord and Ocean Mist... Kelp and what have you. Yet the oceanic impressions are unavoidable. This is very much like the just-before-dawn moments down by Newport Beach, say, in early spring...
The Pacific smells very much alive before the advent of the day's foodstuffs, foot traffic, and decomposing marine life done in by wannabe fisherfolk.This is, without mistake, the Aquamarine, swelling ocean; clean, cool and pure.
The Amber brings just enough sweet to soften the brininess, and the Pear is unreal... Juicy with the slightest portion of grit to set the salivary into overdrive... What an incredible combo!
Applied to the epidermis, the Ambergris comes out to play; simultaneously adding yet another sweet stratum to this and embellishing the oceanic theme.
Giving it a few moments, the fresia really blooms, brightens, and opens the entire fragrance and radiates goldenly into the surrounding air...Thus, Sunrise With Sea Monsters.
Absolute genius.
Loving this.
Dead sexy on Him or Her.
Creme de la creme.
5.5 out of 5...

Very aquatic blend, but nothing that makes it stand out from other Lab aquatics. Very light, fades quickly.

I didn't think I'd find any aquatic I liked as much as Thalassa, the Galapagos Mermaid. But this Salon has proved me wrong. It's very mildly salty, with a bit of kelp, sweetened by the freesia, which is a beautiful, bright, crisp floral. It smells like a mild, pleasant day at the beach. My only complaint is there isn't very much throw. It sticks close to the skin, like most of the other Salon scents. Still, it's very lovely. I think I will get a bottle when my imp is gone.

Wet: oooh..oceanside on a spring morning. makes me think about running down to the ocean to watch the sunrise (yes, I do that frequently). Not very dissimilar to Maine oceanside in spring. The kelp, oceanmist ambergris are strongest of course. The florals are a really unusual addition. Completely took me by surprise even though I, of course, can see they're listed in the description.. Osmanthus and freesia are great additions. White pear sweetens the florals and makes them singularly notable instead of getting lost in the mix or turning the whole thing sour. Very wise.

Drydown: the kelp and ocean mist burn down to a soft blue-green. Florals ease off slightly too. The pear and amber become more prominent. Smells like the part of sunrise when the sun starts to warm me and everything around me and I'm finally ready to leave for some breakfast or an adventure. *sigh* spring is coming.

Initial thoughts: This is one of my mother's all time favorite BPALs, and with the Salon leaving at the end of the month I figured there was no time like the present to try this bad boy :) I'm a fan of aquatics in theory, although I rarely wear them. The ambergris here has me concerned as it usually does nasty things once it hits my skin.

Wet: I get a strong hit of the sea foam, pear, and freesia. It's quite pretty if a little overwhelming.

Dry down: The ambergris is staying hidden, and the overall blend is mellowing out a little. It's not as in my face as it was wet, which is a relief.

Dry: A nice aquatic floral. Very pretty.

Final thoughts: This smells amazing on my mother, and it really is one of the prettiest aquatics I've ever tried. It's not my "thing" so to speak, but it is lovely and definitely worth trying.

Verdict: Not for me.

Sweet, bright aquatic that manages to be slightly perfumey on me. Sometimes ambergris gives a blend that "perfumey" quality, and that's probably what's doing it here. I'm not used to aquatics smelling sweet... if more of them smelled like this I'd probably like them better.

Most aquatics smell roughly the same on me for some reason, and I have difficulty telling them apart. This one is different, and I'm surprised. I like it.