Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Schlafende Baigneuse

schlafendebaigneuse.gif

Schlafende Baigneuse, Pierre-Auguste Renoir.

Skin musk, white cream, honeycomb, yellow rose, King mandarin, chrysanthemum, golden amber, honeysuckle, and wide-throated yellow monkey-flower accord.

in the bottle:musky floral, very well belnded, no particular note stands out.

wet: very very light skin scent almost indetectible. slightly rosey

this gets stronger as it dries, the rose is prominent (i amp roses so take that in to consideration) and honeysuckle makes her appearance. the musk is a clean fresh musky scent and provides the perfect backdrop for the floral scene. this is a soft, sweet floral, i haven't come across another scent very similar, but it is very feminine, and i imagine floral girls are gonna go mad for it

I'm sure there are people that can say no to a blend with wide-throated yellow monkey-flower accord in it, but I am not one of them. And I am glad I didn't. I feel very lucky to be one of those people with fairly amenable skin chemistry, and Beth's roses always bloom true and lush on me. Even so, between Rose Moon and Schlafende Baigneuse, I feel like I have a couple new rosy favorites. The rose here does truly feel yellow, rather than red or pink or white, and it's creamier and lighter to match. Combined with the skin musk, white cream, honeycomb, amber, and yellow monkey-flower---the feel is very yellow and gold and white and luminously dreamy---just like the tones in the painting.

For those concerned with musk and cream in blends, these notes certainly inform the blend but they don't overwhelm. The overall feel is of a golden floral, almost regal. It's sensuous and beautiful and almost private. Totally lovely.

Another beautiful, lovely floral in Salon III. Just a touch sweet.

This also seems to have a bit of the "clean" without being aquatic or ozonic.

This should work for a lot of people.

SCHLAFENDE BAIGNEUSE

In Bottle: Light white floral

On Skin: This is the most faint BPAL I have ever smelled. It is a veil, so light you can barely sense it. I get a very white/light yellow feel from this scent. It is bright yet filtered. An echo of a scent. The rose seems dominant on me, a bit sour. But the honeycomb and cream help sweeten it just so slightly. The skin musk is gorgeous and adds to that, “lean in and sniff me” feel. The honeysuckle is held in check which is odd since it usually amps on me. The amber gives another soft thin layer to the musk. There is nothing cloying, loud of offensive about this scent. I think it could work on anyone. It’s a perfect scent to wear anywehre when you want something light and barely noticable except to people you’ll be physically close to. Quite feminine and absolutely beautiful. A very, very, VERY light throw and short wearlength.

This clings to me so closely...rather than being a light glaze over my skin it seems to be a part of it. Something I wish my natural skin would smell like. For a floral lover this is a dream come true. Nothing could be more naturally enticing and approachable. The rose is so subdued and only lolls about amidst the other notes....so if you are at all leery of rose but want to try this one I wouldn't hesitate. It just blends into a creamy, plush, skin-like atmosphere that never strays very far. The throw is almost non-existent. I really have to look for this one to notice it. Very intimate, but it doesn't feel sexual at all. I can be uncertain about honey and amber but this is faultless. Without a doubt unlike any floral blend I've tried....I am putting this in my top ten without batting an eye.

On first application I'm hit with a blast (a gentle blast, but a blast nonetheless) of citrus. And a bunch of garden-y flowers. It's pretty for a little while, but it starts to go slightly bitter on my skin. A little bit sharp and spiky. I'm not a huge fan of citrus in my perfumes, admittedly.

After a while things start to soften up. It's pretty....and then it goes watery and disappears.

My skin doesn't like this one as much as a lot of the other new Salons.

Dagnabbit. This is the nonexistant scent. Like Silence on me, it isn't there. I smell something faintly, faintly floral in the bottle, and applied it there is a bare, bare hint of soft floral, then 5 minutes later nothing whatsoever Wow. This is the amazing undetectable BPAL. I really had to try something with monkey flower and cream and honey in it. Oh well.

Um, I'm gonna have to go with a 1 out of 5, for not existing really.

This is another pretty nondescript floral for me. I can't pick out any of the listed notes. Usually I find myself liking 'skin musk,' but there's a sharp muskiness about this blend. In the drydown, it takes on a creamier aspect... but mostly it just goes to baby powder on me pretty quickly :P. After 15 minutes this is all baby powder, probably thanks to the fact that I have trouble wearing BPAL's amber notes.

I'm unsure about this one. I love the opening-it is beautiful, with yellow rose that is so sweet and something else that is almost apple-y. If it stayed like that, it would be one of my favorites, hands down. But it turns, the sweet appley-rose goes away and the musk takes over. It also smells faintly incensy on me but I have a feeling that is the spicy chrysanthemum combining with the skin musk. It is soft, but pretty, and it lasts for a while. I think many would love it-if you like the musk in bastet, or baghdad. That is what musk it reminds me of-softer, gentler, smoother-but similar.

I don't know if I'll keep it and just know that I'll be slathering it often to get the lovely beginning, or swapping it away to a better home.

Sooooooo pretty! Okay, how best can I describe this? It's a very soft, skin-scent floral. In the bottle, I smell mostly yellow rose and honeysuckle - very sweet and fresh and clear - with maybe a tiny bit of honey. On, the musk and the chrysanthemum start to appear, and add a warm, light spiciness and depth to the other flowers. Amber brings a sort of golden powderiness to the party, to underpin everything else. There's a little hint of mandarin as well, bringing another layer to the whole. I don't really get cream or honey particularly on the drydown, but it's such a lovely complex blend of notes that I have a hard time distinguishing anything, really. (Unfortunately I still have no idea what wide-throated yellow monkey-flower accord smells like, but it must be beautiful, because this blend is so lovely!)

This is very soft and subtle, but also definitely there - it's not a vanisher on me - it's soft but not faint, if that makes sense. And it's just LOVELY. It's very sweet, creamy, golden, and I want to bathe in it. I am SO GLAD I bought this unsniffed!! :P

Wet: dusty musk

On skin: light citrus and flowers, no individual notes standing out

Half-hour later: still very dusty and vague, which must be the amber and chrysanthemum

In conclusion: all the ingredients sounded great, but like others' reviews this blend just didn't want to assert itself on my skin. I wish it were more confident like the lady in the painting!

I'm really not one for the florals most of the time, but this is one I'd wear happily. It starts out as a light, bright floral -- I can't really pick any one out of the mix, it blends so well.

After wearing for a while it becomes slightly spicy and creamy (probably the musk and amber causing the slight spicyness), and sweet. It's beautiful!

Like a number of the others, I agree it has hardly any throw, but it's so pretty I honestly don't care. :P

SCHLAFENDE BAIGNEUSE

In Bottle: Light white floral

On Skin: This is the most faint BPAL I have ever smelled. It is a veil, so light you can barely sense it. I get a very white/light yellow feel from this scent. It is bright yet filtered. An echo of a scent. ...(snip)...A very, very, VERY light throw and short wearlength.

Yep, I agree. this is the nearly nonexistent scent as someone said below.

Wet: a bit of chrysanthemum, honey and cream, with just a touch of citrus. I do get some soft yellow rose, and it doesn't bother me. (I am a serious rose-hater) Instead it blends with the other soft florals. This does seem like the soft yellow light of late-afternoon hitting the walls of a white painted room. I imagine sheer yellow curtains blowing in a breeze. It is very feminine, and suits the painting perfectly.

It really is creamy golden and gorgeous, but so faint it just isn’t worth it. I don't think slathering would help on my skin, so I'm going to send it off to a better home.

I wanted to love this. Really, I did. I've tried it three times, and each time I've convinced myself that I'll love it forever...but honestly, this is a sourish rose blend on me. After a couple of hours, it settles into a rosy amber smell, but it's simply not very pretty on my skin. ::sigh::

Schlafende Baigneuse - Very interesting...I don't think I've encountered a BPAL blend with yellow rose in it before. Still, this is very much a yellow rose scent! I just love how Beth is able to distinguish between the various varieties of rose that she uses. The scent is very much a musky-floral, and it smells vary natural on my skin. It's light and subtle, and doesn't leave me feeling like I just applied perfume. Rather, it leaves my skin smelling like I bathed with a light floral product hours ago. This is really, really pretty, but it's such a skin scent and so subtle that it isn't likely something I would choose to wear over more powerful scents. Low throw and below average staying power.

This is an intensely intimate scent, but I don't find it faint on my skin, just subtle. Like the painting, it is golden and quiet, calm and unintrusive, but sensual and full of light, as well.

First off I get the cream, rose (truly a yellow rose) and mandarin, followed closely by the honeycomb and other flowers, and finally by the amber (always late to show up on my skin, but last to leave). At some indeterminate point the musk reveals itself as the gentle unifier for the whole blend, which is a job Beth's skin musk always does superbly.

The throw is slight (maybe 4 inches from my wrist; might be stronger if I was wearing it in a warmer, more protected place like the back of my neck or in my decolletage) and subtle - mostly cream, rose and honeysuckle with a bit of honeycomb. Closer to my skin the amber and musk chime in. The mandarin is short-lived on my skin, as most citrus notes are, but there is a lingering, if faint, influence, I think, and the other flowers weave in and out. This is a scent for wearing while being nuzzled, without overwhelming the nuzzler. :P When I place my order I will likely get two bottles; one to make a dry oil/body oil spray from, the other to wear at perfume strength. If my husband doesn't like it, I'll take myself out on a date. :D

Edited by Malista

Wow, am I the first to say that this scent was quite strong on me? Sure, it sits close to the skin but it was very present and definitely stuck around for a few hours.

My initial impression, without checking the notes list first, was honey! I was sure that there was honey in it. Now I see that it was likely the honeycomb.

This has an intimate feel to it; a bright, gleaming scent of soft florals and amber, the sweetness of honeysuckle, the sultry scent of skin musk. I do detect a touch of rose.

Beautiful!

bitter citrus and rose, this scent goes off on me in about ten minutes. it's a lot stronger than i initially figured it would be upon application, but sadly not for me.

Schlafende Baigneuse

In the imp: tangy rose and mandarin, a pretty cologne like floral.

Wet on skin: a gorgeous honeyed yellow floral with a chrysanthemum note.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is very pretty! It's a golden-white floral scent, a lush bloom with honey. The chrysanthemum has that distinct sharp dryness and mixes nicely with the scent of dry rose petals. The honeysuckle mixes with another lush yellow floral which must be the monkey flower. I smell the honey and the cream (which is lovely, not sour at all) and the smoothness of pale skin musk binds it all together. It's not as tangy now.

After a while: the floral notes merge and sweeten any anything that was sharp or dry smelling before is now gone. Now this is a honeyed floral scent which is almost like orchid, sweet and with something almost fruity to it, and definitely creamy. It's like sweet nectar-filled flowers floating in honeyed cream. Now it reminds me of Milk Moon 07 with the fruits replaced by flowers and without as much milk-nothing sour here at all. The skin musk is also very strong now, with it's distinctive velvet-powdery paleness, and I get a similar peachy scent with the florals and musk which reminds me very slightly of Tamamo No Mae, but creamier and without the tea and Asian notes.

The only problem with this lovely and delicate scent is what others have mentioned-it is faint and does fade fast. Now it is just a soft skin scent of powdered creamy sweet flowers, luminous blooms with skin musk, but it's one I have to sniff close to my wrist to smell. It is so pretty though, a soft skin-musky honeysuckle scent.

Verdict: this is what I wanted Eos to smell like. This is a gorgeous yellow-white scent which definitely suits this sensual painting of golden cloth and alabaster skin. A softly honeyed mix of flowers floating in sweet cream, it smells of roses, honeysuckle and something else that could be that accord with the wonderful name-wide throated yellow monkey flower!-with a soft downy base of skin musk and a lovely cream note which doesn't do the sour milk thing, but makes me think of a floral ambrosia. It's luxurious yet feminine and delicate and gentle, it gets smoother with wear. The only problem with this is that it is very soft, a little faint, one to really sniff close to the wrist to smell, and it does fade away rather fast. But I do like it enough to keep the sample I have…maybe I'll get more some day, because this is a delightful scent.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? definitely the imp.

If you like this, try: Eos, Ostara, Litha, Et Lux Fuit, Les Bijoux, Tamamo No Mae, Milk Moon 07

In the bottle: lovely, deceptively simple, soft and nice

On me: A hint of French milled soap residue, with a little floral note and a long cool clean feeling. Understated, elegant, if a bit undressed.

My boyfriend says: "Is that the new soap you bought? It's nice."

i ordered this solely because i loved the art and i was so so pleasantly surprised. in the bottle i think it smells like really good soap. on me it is a sweet, creamy floral. it doesn't have very much throw but it lasts on me for quite a while! it is a soft scent that wears close to the skin, like i've just taken a bubble bath in something quite lovely and laid down languidly upon clean fresh sheets, although that's somewhat misleading as it is clean but not actually soapy. it's sweet and flowery without being cloying and creamy without going sour on me. i don't even like florals and i love this.

this scent is very soft and pretty, and evokes the art perfectly. it's a very subtle scent with a hint of sweetness, and makes me think of pale yellow. on my skin it's creamy yellow roses with a hint of skin musk. it's very soft as some other people have noted, but it doesnt disappear at all, i think it would be perfect for those days when a subtle, pretty scent is needed.

Wet: Expensive French perfume.

Dry: Seriously, this is still perfume. Light musky rose. Not smelling much else, unfortunately. Reminiscent of L'air du Temps but I also like the French milled soap comparison as it gets drier. Pretty, just not for me.

In the bottle – Vary, very faint rose

Wet on me – A sharp green powder

Dry on me – Disappears very quickly into the faintest memory of musk

Overall – Never really made an impression and then disappeared